Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
assfro
Oct 15, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Ugh, way to go, Ford. It is kind of an oversight that if you get impeached the guy who replaces you has the ability to totally wipe the slate clean, a power that he alone in the entire country wields. On average, this guy is probably your friend, or at least a respected colleague (although occasionally VP has been filled with convenient do-nothings and on at least one occasion, a mortal enemy).

It is interesting that the Aaron Sorkin said the difference between our world and that of the fictional 'The West Wing' is that Nixon was actually, and successfully, I believe, prosecuted for his crimes. What a shining moment for democracy that would have been, and there would have been no better end to the Nixon administration. Of course, Nixon never served a day in prison or endured injury in any other way for what he had done, and here we are!

Not to nitpick, but Nixon bailed out before he could be impeached. He doubtlessly would have been, the public nature of Watergate necessitated that, but still, he never actually was impeached. Ford had made some noise about not pardoning him, but it was basically the first thing he did, and his presidency was Mud after that point. Totally agree regarding the pardoning though - under the original US election system, the VP was the runner up per the votes of the electoral college rather than the predetermined running mate of the presidential candidate, and generally at odds with you. A simpler time under Washington's hope for a democratic republic bereft of political parties. How far we have come.

I've never seen the West Wing, but I do agree that had Nixon gone down in flames - or even having been successfully impeached, rather than retiring to California and making bank giving speeches and writing self-apologetic memoirs, that the country would be better off. Instead, Nixon revealed himself and his administration to be a lying, manipulative gang of thieves and thugs, and flat out told the country "gently caress you, I'm above the law" - and got to retire to a life of leisure in the sun, setting a rather ugly precedent for having no faith in our leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The most D&D bottle of rum.

Not only from the glorious beating heart of communism, but also gifted to me by a NSA spook.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

assfro posted:

Not to nitpick, but Nixon bailed out before he could be impeached. He doubtlessly would have been, the public nature of Watergate necessitated that, but still, he never actually was impeached. Ford had made some noise about not pardoning him, but it was basically the first thing he did, and his presidency was Mud after that point. Totally agree regarding the pardoning though - under the original US election system, the VP was the runner up per the votes of the electoral college rather than the predetermined running mate of the presidential candidate, and generally at odds with you. A simpler time under Washington's hope for a democratic republic bereft of political parties. How far we have come.

And by "the original election system" you mean "George Washington's Presidency", because that was literally the first thing outside of the Bill of Rights that they amended out.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Not only from the glorious beating heart of communism, but also gifted to me by a NSA spook.

A ruso-cuban plot to break our tables?

Havana club not being available in the states is lame though. I'm led to believe the family who owns Bacardi has given the GOP millions over the years to keep the status quo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Blindeye posted:

Just FYI for the OP but based on the videos I've seen/Ukraine thread there's a lot of argument over the context of that awful thing. The people who may (or may not, as both sides stockpiled molotovs and were using them) were fired upon from the roof of the building in question and were not fascists. They were dismantling a pro-Russian encampment when shots started ringing out, people flipped out and rushed the building the shots came from, threw some molotovs. They also helped people get out of the building when it caught fire and the police stood by doing nothing even when pro-Russians used them as cover while they shot at pro-Ukrainian protesters. It's kind of a clusterfuck so it might be worth leaving out lest we imply the pro-Ukrainian/Euromaidan side is full of nazis.

As I sip my own form of political malaise medicine (Citadelle French gin and tonic), here's some news for Republican rebuilding: reign in the debates and punish those who hold non GOP-controlled debates:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._to_assert.html

This is effective, and sadly it means we won't see Sky-Admiral Bachmann in GOP Primarys 2016: Beyond Thunderdome, unless of course they never intended to get delegates to begin with and just were looking for book deals....

For this I was going off what was reported on NPR, but if you have something showing it wasn't fascists who torched a building full of civilians, I'll alter the OP accordingly

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Ow my tables.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

And rightly so because it was loving stupid.

Also, as Ford often pointed out accepting a Pardon is an admission of guilt and wrongdoing, absent exculpatory evidence

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Fix your table breaking, god loving drat it!:argh:

In actual news, and from the right wing media thread, back to the IRS bullshit. So now we're back to BENGHAZI IRS BENGHAZI IRS HILLARY CLINTON MONICAL LEWINSKY WHITEWATER VINCE FOSTER REPEAL OBAMACARE wait no we have to shut up about that one.

I'm torn between dreading 2016 and looking forward to it; seeing the Republicans drege up ancient scandal (or "scandal") after ancient scandal only to keep losing will be so much fun to watch.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 8, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I wonder how many days Obama would have survived with Vice President John McCain. Or if McCain even gets the nod; imagine the loons the GOP would nominate if the worst-case scenario for them was the Vice Presidency (and fast-tracking impeachment as soon as they could).

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

For this I was going off what was reported on NPR, but if you have something showing it wasn't fascists who torched a building full of civilians, I'll alter the OP accordingly

Crossquoting from the Eastern Europe thread:

Mightypeon posted:

From what I got: The Pro Ukrainian argument is partly, but not completely true.
-There was a clash or several clashes before the fire. There, pro Russians allegedly attacked pro Maidan Soccer Ultras. This may or may not have been the case, if you ever witnessed a group on group fight of Ultras, its often very hard to tell who started.
-That fight was over, apperantly the pro Russian Ultras "won" and went drinking. In a such clashes, who attacks first generally tends to win more often, so I am inclined to believe that those "pro Russian Ultras" started it.
-Pro Ukrainian Ultras were searching for vengeance, found some of the pro Russian Ultras that beat them up earlier and started hunting them.
-Pro Russian Ultras ran away into the trade union building.
-Seeing the pro Russians running away, and the pro Ukrainians coming, the people in front of the trade union building that did peacefull protests for the most part or had nothing to do with even that also ran into the building, after the pro Russian Ultras.
-Pro Russian Ultras ran up to the top, allegedly preventing others from getting up to safety.

-- Life streams start roughly here for the most part

-Pro Russian Ultras very definitly shoot and throw molotov cocktails at the pro Ukrainian Ultras.
-Pro Ukrainian Ultras very definitly also shoot and throw molotov cocktails
-The poor guys in the first floors get hit unconcsious by Carbon monoxide poisoning and get burned later.
-The loving fucks on the top that shot and threw coctails mostly all survive, because throwing a molotov that high is pretty damned difficult/risky.

Again the people that died did, for the overwhelming part, have not much or nothing to do with earlier violence. The people that did the violence got away alive and are now free again. Same is true for those that set the building on fire.

Mightypeon usually seems to post pro-Russian opinions in that thread, but pro-Ukrainian Kalstrams (who just got big ups on his aggregation from Brown Moses, no less) seems to agree more or less. In any event, the upshot seems like it's soccer hooligans, not Nazis.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

computer parts posted:

And by "the original election system" you mean "George Washington's Presidency", because that was literally the first thing outside of the Bill of Rights that they amended out.

Second thing. And it applied to Adams as well.

Rygar201 posted:

And rightly so because it was loving stupid.

Also, as Ford often pointed out accepting a Pardon is an admission of guilt and wrongdoing, absent exculpatory evidence

I'm guessing this was a response to me. It would never work under a two party system, but its a nice bit of nostalgia from a pre-partisan United States.

And Ford can say whatever he wants, because with the pardon Nixon got to run around writing books, and making speeches and appearances about how it twisted him up inside to take that pardon for that exact reason, while laughing all the way to the bank.

assfro fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 8, 2014

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

That's a trick question and you know it. It's fascists all the way down in Eastern Europe.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Then again, wasn't there a problem with presidential succession back then as well? It is kind of a silly idea (well, scary if you're sitting president) but if your VP hates you and all it takes is your death to make him president...

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Then again, wasn't there a problem with presidential succession back then as well? It is kind of a silly idea (well, scary if you're sitting president) but if your VP hates you and all it takes is your death to make him president...

Not really, I mean, Boener is only two heart beats away from the presidency, and I don't think anyone seriously believes he is going to try and orchestrate a coup like that.

edit: I'm not actually arguing for a return to the multi-party executive, I just thought it was an interesting example of where the VP might not immediately pardon an outgoing president, and a time when partisanship was hoped to be less debilitating. Said hope lasted all of 16 odd years and now we cannot even pass a budget, let alone have a split executive office.

assfro fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 8, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Weren't people bemoaning the lack of conservative intellectuals a couple pages ago? How about David Barton?
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/david-barton-tackles-womens-voting-rights

quote:

Barton explained that women were not given the right to vote when the Constitution was written because the Founding Fathers were trying to protect the institution of the family by giving every “family” a right to vote through the male head of the household.

Sounds like a winner to me :allears:

Maybe this will be the issue that ruins some tebagger's career this time around, instead of talking about how they're all really just asking for it and totally deserve whatever punishment God chooses for their slutty ways.

E: I guess I don't know how to quote links properly

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
David Barton is as much of an intellectual as your angry grandfather is.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Why does the Benghazi committee exist, again?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Black man living in the White House? Reactionaries still trying to pin a Democrat President with an impeachment trial like the Dems did to Nixon?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

To distract the base from the fact that Obamacare is working

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
What are they even going to do?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Try to get someone to perjure themselves

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Probably hold John Kerry in contempt, because why the gently caress not. On the plus side their tough talking "prosecutor" heading the committee looks like a cross between Julian Assange and Pepe le Pew, so that's fun.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

As little as possible, as loudly as possible, for as long as possible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

Probably hold John Kerry in contempt, because why the gently caress not. On the plus side their tough talking "prosecutor" heading the committee looks like a cross between Julian Assange and Pepe le Pew, so that's fun.

Maybe they can just vote to hold the democratic party in contempt and get it over with.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cabbit posted:

Hello June thread title.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe they can just vote to hold the democratic party in contempt and get it over with.

To quote transformers "I've got nothing but contempt for this court." (Or committee or whatever)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cabbit posted:

Just how I like my sex.

jk goons are all virgins

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jagchosis posted:

It's gonna be so good when they hold 50 contempt votes, and 25 of those are repeatedly John Kerry the same they way they had nearly 50 votes repealing Obamacare.

They're a bunch of morons. They have zero political power in reality, and so they're trying to prosecute it in the court of public opinion. A year and a half after the attack, I'm not sure how much patience people actually have for it. None of it gained traction before. I don't see any reason why it would gain traction now.

They can impeach whoever they like. They can hold anyone they want in contempt. They don't have the votes in the Senate to convict, and wouldn't even if they took every toss-up seat in the Senate in November. The AG is also not going to prosecute all their frivolous contempt votes.

The real danger for them is proving to the American people how useless they really are. They toss around the words "impeachment" as a threat because it actually has more power as a nebulous threat than as a useful tool in their current situation.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 8, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jagchosis posted:

If there's someone in politics that NEEDS a $400 haircut, it's that guy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

To distract the base from the fact that Obamacare is working

On that note: Called by Republicans, Health Insurers Deliver Unexpected Testimony

quote:

WASHINGTON — House Republicans summoned a half-dozen health insurance executives to a hearing Wednesday envisioned as another forum for criticism of the Affordable Care Act. But insurers refused to go along with the plan, and surprised Republican critics of the law by undercutting some of their arguments against it.

Insurers, appearing before a panel of the Energy and Commerce Committee, testified that the law had not led to a government takeover of their industry, as some Republicans had predicted. Indeed, several insurers said their stock prices had increased in the last few years.

The executives also declined to endorse Republican predictions of a sharp increase in insurance premiums next year, saying they did not have enough data or experience to forecast prices. And they said they were already receiving federal subsidy payments intended to make insurance more affordable for low- and middle-income people.

Representative Michael C. Burgess, Republican of Texas, sounded a bit disappointed at the end of the hearing. He marveled at the subdued testimony and complained that no one at the witness table “wanted to be forthcoming.”

But Representative Jan Schakowsky, Democrat of Illinois, appeared delighted.

“These companies were not the biggest supporters of the law,” she said. “They still oppose many provisions, but they do not live in a Republican echo chamber. They live in the real world.”

The insurers said Wednesday that most of the people who signed up for coverage in the open enrollment period that ended on March 31 — perhaps 80 percent — had paid their initial premiums, as required to activate their coverage. Some policyholders have more time to pay their initial premiums.

Democrats seized on the number as evidence that Republicans in a report last week had overstated the number of people who failed to pay premiums. Representative Diana DeGette, Democrat of Colorado, said that more than three million of the eight million people who signed up had waited until the last month of open enrollment, and in many cases, she said, they “did not even have to make their initial premium payment until April 30.”

But the executives also used the appearance to air concerns with some parts of the law and continued problems with the online insurance exchange.

They complained bitterly about a new fee on insurance providers, one of many taxes imposed on companies expected to benefit from the law. The fees are expected to raise $100 billion over 10 years. Insurers say the cost will generally be passed on to policyholders. In addition, the insurers said they were still having problems with the “back end” of HealthCare.gov, which have made it difficult to match up enrollment files of the government and insurance companies.

“There are still issues on the back end,” said Frank E. Coyne, a vice president of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Brian C. Evanko, the executive in charge of individual insurance products at Cigna, said, “There are certainly more manual processes than we anticipated prior to the exchanges launching.”

Representative Cory Gardner, a Colorado Republican who is running for Senate, asked the insurers how many policies had been canceled because they did not meet the coverage requirements of the health care law. The cancellations caused a political furor last fall, and President Obama apologized to Americans who were losing their insurance.

But several insurers said Wednesday that they did not know how many policies had been canceled.

Representative Bill Johnson, Republican of Ohio, asked the insurers, “Does the administration know who’s paid for their plan?”

Insurance executives said they did not know the answer. Insurers said that they were filing invoices with the government to obtain subsidy payments, but that the government did not yet have an automated financial management system to handle the claims. The government and insurers will reconcile their books at a later date.

They are so far in the bubble, the reactions when it gets breached are astounding. I mean, its one thing to spew bullshit to win elections. That's how it works. But you aren't supposed to start believing it. And that's the problem: They believe their own bullshit.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I can't remember if it was in this thread from last month, or another thread, but anyone have a link to that article that talks about Cliven Budy saying he gets commands from God or something insane alone those line?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KomradeX posted:

I can't remember if it was in this thread from last month, or another thread, but anyone have a link to that article that talks about Cliven Budy saying he gets commands from God or something insane alone those line?
You call that insane, but plenty of people say that every day and no one calls them insane.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
In case you're not going to watch a talk show for the next month and might miss this: The most Repulican company is the company that makes WONDERBREAD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/upshot/the-countrys-most-republican-company-the-makers-of-wonder-bread.html

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

pangstrom posted:

In case you're not going to watch a talk show for the next month and might miss this: The most Repulican company is the company that makes WONDERBREAD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/upshot/the-countrys-most-republican-company-the-makers-of-wonder-bread.html

Republicans are whitebred? No poo poo.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

pangstrom posted:

Blandest known company also the most virulently conservative? Why am I not surprised at all.
How revolting. I think they only allow Republicans in management, since none of their executives have donated to a Democrat in decades.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jagchosis posted:

It's like someone stuck Bruce Campbell's face on Julian Assange, and then smashed his face in to a wall repeatedly. :stare:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

OAquinas posted:

If there's someone in politics that NEEDS a $400 haircut, it's that guy.

May very well be a $400 haircut, never underestimate this. A lot of politicians throw good money towards bad fashion sense.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's like someone stuck Bruce Campbell's face on Julian Assange, and then smashed his face in to a wall repeatedly. :stare:

60-year-old Draco Malfoy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RadicalWall posted:

I do understand the sentiment, but I also have republican family members and they'll tell you it's the Democrats. It's hard to say "our system is fine, except for half of the electorate who are inhuman monsters."

Honestly this is part of the problem that we have become so used to demonizing the other side and anyone who supports them that we're not even looking for bipartisanship because there's no political gain in compromise.

Well it's hard to compromise on some stuff that's binary, like abortion, whether homeless people deserve homes or not, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgYQuKzVabY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Bernie Sanders did an AMA on Reddit and the local population of crazies was shockingly well heeled. Maybe its just that Bernie magic:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/24zdnn/i_am_senator_bernie_sanders_ivt_ama/

Also got Lagavulin 16 for my birthday, its a good day.

• Locked thread