Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Totems are those big tree things fetishes are made out of latex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
May Design Contest: Design a Fighter/non-spellcasting martial class for Pathfinder which can compete with Wizards.

This is loving Hard Mode, baby!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not... really? Unless you mean one that the standard PF fan would accept, which is impossible because fighters must be subordinate to wizards in all things :smaug:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I think I might quit tabletop games.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

P.d0t posted:

Ok, I'll bite.

That seems a bit extreme especially for someone who just finished their own homebrew game. What happened?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

Ok, I'll bite.

That seems a bit extreme especially for someone who just finished their own homebrew game. What happened?

I stared into the engine of 4th Edition, and it stared back into me.

I dunno. Everybody I game with just wants to play 3.5 or PF (or if you catch them on a bad day, GURPS or Rolemaster or Hackmaster) and I just can't be bothered. I also wouldn't consider any of them "friends", we're just strangers who hang out to play D&D. And I can't get anyone to try my game.

The lite-er stuff just doesn't seem up my ally (too much roleplaying or GM fiat are non-starters)

When I think about GMing a game again, I either can't come up with anything interesting or I can't think of anything that I could get my current group of gamers to play. I'm not even sure I could GM a campaign that was as compelling as my first; likewise, I feel like I don't have another game system in me to create after "finishing" my first one.

:sigh:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Take a break.

Either you'll find you want to do tradgaming stuff again after a while or you'll move on to something else in life. Either is okay, but don't force yourself to do something you aren't enjoying :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Everybody I game with just wants to play 3.5 or PF

Find better people to game with.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

P.d0t posted:

When I think about GMing a game again, I either can't come up with anything interesting or I can't think of anything that I could get my current group of gamers to play. I'm not even sure I could GM a campaign that was as compelling as my first; likewise, I feel like I don't have another game system in me to create after "finishing" my first one.

It's not just you, y'know. Sometimes you run a game too long or get way too used to what was going on/take too long a break and the momentum's not there and you only recall the horrible growing pains from the last time you began a new campaign and...

Yeah. It's not just you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Find better people to game with.

This too

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

P.d0t posted:

I stared into the engine of 4th Edition, and it stared back into me.

I dunno. Everybody I game with just wants to play 3.5 or PF (or if you catch them on a bad day, GURPS or Rolemaster or Hackmaster) and I just can't be bothered. I also wouldn't consider any of them "friends", we're just strangers who hang out to play D&D. And I can't get anyone to try my game.

The lite-er stuff just doesn't seem up my ally (too much roleplaying or GM fiat are non-starters)

:sigh:

Seriously, take a break. Games will still be here if you want to come back to them, and you sound like a case of burnout right now. And if you don't come back you'll be happier not.

Also 3.X/PF aren't as terrible as this board makes out. They wouldn't stand out by 90s standards; it's just that since the turn of the century game design has advanced rapidly.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've had fun with 3.PF, but god would I never ever run them again. Trying to actually design fun encoutners is a serious pain in the rear end. I ended up basically completely ignoring monster creation and just estimating stats then giving them cool abilities.

Plus the headache of working with my players to make sure all their characters will actually be able to contribute, and policing for major power level discrepencies (my main group was usually fine, but sometimes somebody was a little too much above or below the party power curve)...

And of course I always had to use houserules, like making the skill list something
remotely sane.

Oh and I can just gently caress off if I want to use published monsters, because generally there's neither rhyme nor reason to their challenge ratings, nor any sort of balance on their ability spreads, so I have to pay a fuckton of attention to what the monsters do and figure out myself if they're a reasonable challenge for the party.

Basically, with a good group and some effort from the GM, 3.PF can be a lot of fun, but I'd much rather play, and especially run, 4e or Dungeon World or 13th Age for my D&D fix.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 6, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Last time I was invited to play Pathfinder I subbed a Gunslinger, had that choice banned, subbed a Fighter and got him banned for my "overpowered build". The other players were two wizards, a druid and a cleric.

Even if Pathfinder wasn't a pretty badly done game the playerbase often seals the deal for me.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

There's that, too. PF attracts a certain player base that has... shall we say different gaming philosophy than I do. I could trust my standard group, made up of my friends, to game reasonably in 3.PF, but we all moved on to 4e and 13A and a world hack some of us are working on, and nobody wants to go back.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Play some board games. It'll scratch the gaming itch and you won't have to put prep work in.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It really is amazing how upset some people can get if you manage to accidentally put together a fighting-based character using homebrew/house rules who actually outputs as much damage as a wizard. Though the only times I saw this strategy banned in 3.0/3.5 groups were times that someone actually could outdamage a wizard in a round ... even though of course given the area-effect potential a wizard would still do more damage in virtually every practical gaming situation.

P.d0t posted:

Hey, everyone hits that wall at some point. No shame. Have you considered going to Gen-Con? Go to Gen-Con, that will fix you right up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quarex posted:

Hey, everyone hits that wall at some point.
Hell, I hit it every couple of weeks. I've just been good about not making flameout posts when I do lately.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

At the end of next week, I'm gonna have nothing to do for way too long. I'll do it if you need someone to do it.

I'd be willing to pass it off to ya if you can find somebody I know a bit better to partner up with or at least vouch for ya. Most of the #badwrongfun crew counts. No offense, I just literally have no idea who you are :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tollymain posted:

I'd be willing to pass it off to ya if you can find somebody I know a bit better to partner up with or at least vouch for ya. Most of the #badwrongfun crew counts. No offense, I just literally have no idea who you are :v:

No, that's understandable. I don't think we conversed until this moment so you don't really have any reason to trust me. Since I mostly just float around here when I have free time, I don't have anyone to vouch for me, I assume.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Man, I have to say that I feel immensely lucky to have a group as open-minded as mine. None of them are invested deeply in any given system, and although Dungeon World is my go-to system when I run games for them they've also been cool with trying out stuff like Labyrinth Lord, ACKS, 13th Age, 3:16 and have even expressed interest in Golden Sky Stories. As far as gaming goes I can't think of anything worse than having a group that's insistent on always playing 3.PF. I'm not as heavily against Pathfinder nor 3.5 as some people, but if they were the only systems on the table I too would probably burn out on gaming.

I think in this case you might just need to find a new group that's willing to try out new things. Don't give up on gaming altogether, you might just need to find a more open-minded group. :)

Covok
May 27, 2013

One of my friends is graduating college. He was big into roleplaying games so my friends thought it'd be cool to stat him up in a few games as a going away gift. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a game where engineer, his major, is a class.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I hope All Flesh Must Be Eaten is on the list of RPGs to stat him in. Only game where I've idly tried to stat myself.

I couldn't even use up enough points to be a Norm, and that was with dumpstating points into bowling and the like. :smith:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, I hit it every couple of weeks. I've just been good about not making flameout posts when I do lately.

Sorry, your flameout post was glorious.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Uh...thanks? I guess?

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Speaking of PF my GM for my Saturday Hackmaster 5E games is wanting to transfer the game to Pathfinder since some of the stuff out of the upcoming GMs guide is crazy complex for no reason. I enjoyed being an effective Fighter, but at this rate at least it frees up my Saturday before work!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Libertad! posted:

May Design Contest: Design a Fighter/non-spellcasting martial class for Pathfinder which can compete with Wizards.

This is loving Hard Mode, baby!
Not really given that I'm stealing one of their class designs to do exactly that in other game systems like in Dungeon World and 13th Age. Its technically not a martial class RAW but part of the classes core conceit is so mundane that it might as well just be martial.

Esser-Z posted:

There's that, too. PF attracts a certain player base that has... shall we say different gaming philosophy than I do. I could trust my standard group, made up of my friends, to game reasonably in 3.PF, but we all moved on to 4e and 13A and a world hack some of us are working on, and nobody wants to go back.
The philosophy that Pathfinder attracts is observable in 13th Age. The difference is that for the most part it doesn't really wreck the game that appreciably.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 8, 2014

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

...Hackmaster 5E ... crazy complex for no reason

I thought that those two things kinda went together hand in hand? :D

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Darksaber posted:

I thought that those two things kinda went together hand in hand? :D

Most of the complex stuff is 'optional' but I guess that idea was tossed to the wayside for the GM Guide stuff. Tables everywhere for something as simple as spell mishap :psyduck:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Tables and spell mishaps are like peanut butter and jelly!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Peanut Butter and Honey is the true, best PB sandwich. :colbert:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Look at this guy who doesn't know about the Peanut Butter and Banana.

Covok
May 27, 2013

All I'm getting from this line of conversation is that peanut butter is awesome: good with everything.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hey guys! The store was out of peanut butter, so I got Nutella!

(What TG concept would that be?)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

Hey guys! The store was out of peanut butter, so I got Nutella!

(What TG concept would that be?)

Trying to play Monopoly but accidentally buying Kobenhavn

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What about crisps, sausages and black pudding?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Clearly Games Workshop products.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

:psylon: Limey detected

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

P.d0t posted:

:psylon: Limey detected

I could've sworn FT was Irish?

Oh, oh! Where's FATE and PbtA on our buffet table? Is it like staple grains, good tasty breads, or what?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

I could've sworn FT was Irish?

Oh, oh! Where's FATE and PbtA on our buffet table? Is it like staple grains, good tasty breads, or what?

I am, we eat mostly the same things (except irish black pudding isn't those horrible disc things you see in british chippers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

MadScientistWorking posted:

The philosophy that Pathfinder attracts is observable in 13th Age. The difference is that for the most part it doesn't really wreck the game that appreciably.

Can you elaborate on this? 13th Age, to me, appears to derive inspiration from both 3rd and 4th Edition and really does try to balance things out mechanically in regards to monsters and classes. And it doesn't have oodles and oodles of spells.

• Locked thread