Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Brannock posted:

It's been extremely clear for many years now that first rounders aren't remotely worth what they're trumpeted as. I remember people heavily criticizing the Seahawks trading draft picks for Percy Harvin. They somehow never took in account that the chances of drafting a player of Harvin's talent aren't nearly as reliable as using that same draft pick to "draft" an actual Percy Harvin.

And what did Minnesota do with that draft pick they got? Tried to draft a replacement for Harvin.

(Now obviously in hindsight the Harvin trade doesn't look that great for Seattle)

The Vikings actually drafted Xavier Rhodes with the pick they got for Harvin. They did trade with New England to get back into the first round and get Cordarrelle Patterson, but Patterson did an excellent job taking over Harvin's role when he got the chance. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Patterson continues to develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Having barely paid attention to the draft this year, should I be happy with a potential Bucs Manziel selection? Heavily leaning towards "gently caress it lets do some funslinging, hell yeah".

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Someone is definitely going to use Happy

Bortles IIRC

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
You should be pretty happy, yeah. Football and all sports are about entertainment, I'd take Manziel over Alex Smith even if it means a few less wins for my team

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

kidcoelacanth posted:

Having barely paid attention to the draft this year, should I be happy with a potential Bucs Manziel selection? Heavily leaning towards "gently caress it lets do some funslinging, hell yeah".

The answer is always 'yes' but depends on what team you root for.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Athanatos posted:

"Yes, I'll have 1/4 of a waffle"

Syrup? No thanks

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alright rad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'll scream my loving head off if JFF goes to the Bucs

You mean like in a good way?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pron on VHS posted:

You should be pretty happy, yeah. Football and all sports are about entertainment, I'd take Manziel over Alex Smith even if it means a few less wins for my team

He is also gonna be way better than alex smith, who is a boring garbage QB.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Matt Barkley, pick #98, 4th round pick
Geno Smith

quote:

Profootballtalk.com passes along a "building buzz" that the Browns may trade up to draft West Virginia QB Geno Smith.

quote:

A league source told Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle to "plug Geno (Smith) in here" regarding the Eagles' draft pick at No. 4 overall.

quote:

An AFC executive expects West Virginia QB Geno Smith to likely go in the first 10 picks, and perhaps the first five.

quote:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "there isn't any doubt about it" that West Virginia QB Geno Smith will be a top-five pick in the draft.

quote:

Appearing on NFL Live Tuesday, ESPN's Adam Schefter expressed confidence that West Virginia QB Geno Smith will be a top-ten selection in April's draft.

My favorite from Mike Mayock:

1 day before draft

quote:

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock is standing by his evaluation that West Virginia QB Geno Smith is not worth a top-ten pick.

Day of draft

quote:

NFL Network's Mike Mayock released his final mock draft Wednesday night and sent West Virginia QB Geno Smith to the Browns at No. 6.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

Manziel has a ton of potential, way more than most in his position. He's probably gonna be great if he can keep his poo poo together for a season or two.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
As for the Manziel to Minnesota rumors. I'd be a lot happier with Manziel than Bortles. I'd still prefer to take defense or trade down at 8. For what its worth, this is my order of preference at 8:

1. LB Khalil Mack
2. WR Sammy Watkins
3. Trade down
4. QB Johnny Manziel
5. DT Aaron Donald
6. CB Justin Gilbert (still have concerns about run defense)
7. QB Teddy Bridgewater
8. QB Derek Carr
9. S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

The only reason I have Manziel rated over Bridgewater, is that I think Manziel has a higher ceiling if he can develop into more of a pocket passer and stay healthy.

Edit: If we don't take a QB at 8, I would be open to trading back into the first to select a passer depending on who slides.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Don't draft Johnny Motherfucking Football and then turn him into some boring rear end pocket passer, that misses the whole goddamn point.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ehud posted:

You mean like in a good way?

Yes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Why would you waste him as a pocket passer? That's some Genghis Khan poo poo where you're destroying something awesome so no one can have it.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Someone figured out how to stop Cooks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s49PsQX3Q1g

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

Don't draft Johnny Motherfucking Football and then turn him into some boring rear end pocket passer, that misses the whole goddamn point.
That's why I never got Manziel to Vikings because Norv Turner just wants pocket passer quarterbacks

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That's some Genghis Khan poo poo where you're destroying something awesome so no one can have it.

Where are those Peterson bible pictures?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This one I actually believe since Idzik and Webster are good friends. Still not sure it's for OBJ though. Could be Ebron, which would annoy me. gently caress trading up for a TE.

@RapSheet
#Jets have reached out to teams about moving up in the first round. They’ve spoken with the #Titans, among others. WRs likely the target.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Dallas needs to draft Manziel so that he can be Romo's funslinging padawan for a couple of seasons and then tear rear end around the league

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want Manziel so I can get a Prince Johnny avatar.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

bathhouse posted:

Someone figured out how to stop Cooks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s49PsQX3Q1g

With the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, The Houston Texans draft the MTA.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'd be mad if Miami drafted Ebron with #19 so if the jets traded up to draft him even better

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rasczak posted:

Dallas needs to draft Manziel so that he can be Romo's funslinging padawan for a couple of seasons and then tear rear end around the league

Dallas is the team he needs, yea.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder if teams aren't leaking fake information for other teams. Like, "Here, you tell your contacts in the media we've been asking about trading up for JFF and we'll tell ours we heard you're going to trade next year's draft for Sammy Watkins."

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's why I never got Manziel to Vikings because Norv Turner just wants pocket passer quarterbacks

Turner may be willing to adapt his offense to fit Manziel. I don't think they would turn Manziel into a total pocket passer, but he does need to work on limiting his risks and the impacts he takes in order to have a long career.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I do think it would be hilarious if just like last year, every top rated QB fell out of the first round, and Tom Savage ended up being the only 1st round pick

Then next year we can look forward to it happening again with Winston, Hundley and Mariota falling into the 2nd day and Bryce Petty being taken in the 1st

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you want to be lame and limit risks just draft loving Blake Bortles and let him be the bust he was born to be, don't try to clip Johnny's wings.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'm prepped and ready to watch the Jags draft the worst possible QB with the #3 pick! :toot:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

If you want to be lame and limit risks just draft loving Blake Bortles and let him be the bust he was born to be, don't try to clip Johnny's wings.

We don't have to clip Johnny's wings, they're going to melt off in due time.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What the Eagles gonna dooooo?!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Rasczak posted:

Draft JFF, use Romo as tradebait, let JFF sit behind Orton/Weeden for awhile

Somewhere in Arlington, Jerry's on his prepay...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

He is also gonna be way better than alex smith, who is a boring garbage QB.

A lot of smoke about the Chiefs taking Aaron Murray. It's interesting that Manziel has an average release time of 3.5 seconds from the pocket while Murray has 2.6.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

A lot of smoke about the Chiefs taking Aaron Murray. It's interesting that Manziel has an average release time of 3.5 seconds from the pocket while Murray has 2.6.

yeah cause Johnny's running around in circles clowning fools and being rad

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Actually yeah I want to see a college prospect with a release time of like 7 seconds. like gently caress you, i throw when iwanna

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Johnny Manziel has a Heisman trophy and Aaron Murray has some stupid career conference passing records only boring 4 year starters get

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rap posted:

Actually yeah I want to see a college prospect with a release time of like 7 seconds. like gently caress you, i throw when iwanna
Nick Foles

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Rap posted:

brandon weeden

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I get that Manziel is wheeeeeeeeee fun but I'd rather have somebody make quick decisions in a west coast offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'd rather have bad quarterback than good one.

• Locked thread