Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Garafalo on SNY said the Jets told Calvin Pryor that he isn't making it any further than 18, if they stay put.

Those guarantees mean poo poo though so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Brandon Cooks keeps getting mocked to the Eagles at 22. Which is cool and all, but I just don't see that happening. He's basically DeSean Jackson v. 2.0, which is a good thing. But I just don't believe the Eagles are gonna get rid of DeSean and replace him with such a similar player. I'm thinking they just want a big reciever and DeSean is not the direction they are wanting to go.

Amongst everything else with him.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
JFF is going to bring a circus show to the team he goes to. Undraftable.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
One of our teams is going to take him, that's a fact. It's Tebow all over again

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

BlindSite posted:

Why so angry buddy?

Because seriously, every team has been "considering" JFF at this point. JFF rumors should be ignored. The Giants signed Josh Freeman, have Curtis Painter and Ryan Nassib on the bench as well. Plus, Eli still has some years ahead of him, even if we don't know if they are good years or not, the franchise is behind him. Also Coughlin with JFF is loving lol. Also we have huge holes elseware that would be better addressed at 12.

The Giants are not taking JFF.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Febreeze posted:

Because seriously, every team has been "considering" JFF at this point. JFF rumors should be ignored. The Giants signed Josh Freeman, have Curtis Painter and Ryan Nassib on the bench as well. Plus, Eli still has some years ahead of him, even if we don't know if they are good years or not, the franchise is behind him. Also Coughlin with JFF is loving lol. Also we have huge holes elseware that would be better addressed at 12.

The Giants are not taking JFF

Bortles then

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

89 posted:

Brandon Cooks keeps getting mocked to the Eagles at 22. Which is cool and all, but I just don't see that happening. He's basically DeSean Jackson v. 2.0, which is a good thing. But I just don't believe the Eagles are gonna get rid of DeSean and replace him with such a similar player. I'm thinking they just want a big reciever and DeSean is not the direction they are wanting to go.

Amongst everything else with him.

They have Riley Cooper and Maclin, they should be OK on the height front.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well I heard from a guy who works at the river mill that his buddy dan who works over at corn station said his sister was close to the GM that's gonna draft that their Johnny boy who just can sling that pigskin around that drat field.....

-This must have been what the 50s sounded like. Oh wait.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

shiksa posted:

Bortles then

Not much possibility but he'd probably fit better on the team than JFF would. Still no chance. The only QB I see the Giants possibly taking at 12 is Bridgewater if he's there and they lost their top picks at OL and whatnot. I just don't see the Giants going QB at all at 12. Too many other needs and we don't know if Eli is actually broken or not yet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jeff Fisher looks so old now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alouicious posted:

y'all know it IS possible to not immediately start draft picks

They already have the future greatest QB backing up (Josh Freeman). No need for greed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

For those wanting to know what the comp for Mallett is @tomecurran said on 610 it will be a 5 thru 7th rounder

— Texan Takeover (@texantakeover) May 8, 2014

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If any GM gives a 5th or 6th for Mallet I'm going to fall out of my chair.

I mean poo poo Pryor actually had game experience and still got dealt for a 7th.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Febreeze posted:

The Giants are not taking JFF

for fucks sake every single team has been linked to JFF in one way or the other this week. Stop paying attention to JFF poo poo

I haven't seen the Bears linked to JFF yet.

Maybe I should start a blog and get mentioned by someone on ESPN

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Bigass Moth posted:

If Cleveland traded a mid-round pick for Cousins I would be OK with them not drafting a QB.

You can quote this in September.

Kirk Cousins is really bad, you should not want this.

Intruder posted:

Jager sucks

I don't think anybody drinks Jager because they want a pleasant experience.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

If any GM gives a 5th or 6th for Mallet I'm going to fall out of my chair.

I mean poo poo Pryor actually had game experience and still got dealt for a 7th.

He was taken in the third round in 2011. He now has years of mentoring from Brady and Belichick under his belt. So, somehow his value went down BEYOND a 6th rounder after being taken in the third and gaining valuable NFL pro experience? I realize he's ridden the Bench, but so did Aaron Rodgers for a while under Favre.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

pmchem posted:

He was taken in the third round in 2011. He now has years of mentoring from Brady and Belichick under his belt. So, somehow his value went down BEYOND a 6th rounder after being taken in the third and gaining valuable NFL pro experience? I realize he's ridden the Bench, but so did Aaron Rodgers for a while under Favre.

I don't think you know how trading players for draft picks works if you think his value should go up from a third

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pmchem posted:

Aaron Rodgers had talents aside from being 6' 6" and smoking meth

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Intruder posted:

I don't think you know how trading players for draft picks works if you think his value should go up from a third

Well, if you actually read my post I didn't say that anywhere. My post was an expression of disbelief that someone would think a 6th for him was unreasonable.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest thing with Mallett is that in the few limited reps he's taken, mostly in preseason, he's looked like garbage. If he had showed anything at all at any time, his value would probably be higher. The Patriots shouldn't trade him for that, but I don't think it'd be smart to offer much more.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Democrazy posted:

What are the odds that someone goes crazy and draft Tom Savage or Mettenberger high?

High as in tonight? Probably pretty low. I would not be surprised to see either go in the second though, and I will laugh a lot if it happens.

pmchem posted:

Valuable NFL pro experience like being kept stapled to the bench for the past 3 seasons even in blowouts because Belichick knows he sucks out loud?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

Aaron Rodgers had talents aside from being 6' 6" and smoking meth

Mallett has a hell of an arm. He probably would've gone in the first if not for drugs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

pmchem posted:

Well, if you actually read my post I didn't say that anywhere. My post was an expression of disbelief that someone would think a 6th for him was unreasonable.

His value is nil. He has one year left until he's a free agent, so if he somehow pulls something out of his rear end this season you have to pay him a lot of money instead of having four or five years of cheap service time from a draft pick. There's also no reason to believe he'll be worth a crap because in what limited time he's played in mostly preseason he's shown next to nothing. The type of LB or TE you could get at the top of the 6th for special teams play is probably more valuable than anything he'd give a team

Better?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

His value is nil. He has one year left until he's a free agent, so if he somehow pulls something out of his rear end this season you have to pay him a lot of money instead of having four or five years of cheap service time from a draft pick.

If he played well, you'd actually probably get him at a reasonable deal. Might be a short one, but he likely wouldn't light the world on fire, so he wouldn't have much to stand on to get a big, long contract.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

pmchem posted:

You might get a special teams player for a 6th rounder, not a lovely meth-head QB.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

If he played well, you'd actually probably get him at a reasonable deal. Might be a short one, but he likely wouldn't light the world on fire, so he wouldn't have much to stand on to get a big, long contract.

Kinda like Matt Flynn

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Intruder posted:

His value is nil. He has one year left until he's a free agent, so if he somehow pulls something out of his rear end this season you have to pay him a lot of money instead of having four or five years of cheap service time from a draft pick. There's also no reason to believe he'll be worth a crap because in what limited time he's played in mostly preseason he's shown next to nothing.

Better?

Yes, much better. If a team really thinks he might be good, getting him now and letting him ride the bench and re-signing him when he's a FA (and still has shown nothing in live games) would be savvy. But if he's actually good they'd need to play and pay him. So it becomes a complicated question: if you give a 6th for him now, you're paying a 6th and next year's contract. If you wait until he's a FA, you lose out on a possible contributor this season and have to get in whatever limited bidding war (possibly worth more than a 6th) for him next season. It's a non-trivial question and I can imagine a team paying a 6th just to find out. But there are good points on either side.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: nevermind looked at the wrong stat

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Febreeze posted:

The Giants are not taking JFF.

While I didn't and don't think the Giants are going for JFF. That list of QBs after Eli is probably the worst argument you can make though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

Kinda like Matt Flynn

Matt Flynn did set the world on fire, and his sample size was a lot smaller than what Mallett's would be if he was penciled in as the Texans starter next season. Also Flynn didn't even get 10 aav.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've made my peace with the fact that I won't be satisfied with this draft no matter what. There simply aren't enough picks to take all of the players I like. The one thing that I ask, and I don't think this is too unreasonable, is that the Ravens not draft Taylor Lewan. After Rice dragging his bagged into the public light I can't really deal with rooting for another dude that lovely.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

In his career Mallett has accumulated negative passing yardage on 8 attempts and will be 26 years old this season. I'd definitely rather have whatever special team contributor you can find late in the draft

Didn't people speculate that Hoyer would suck hard too? Mallett might be nothing but there is an argument to made for bringing him in for a 6th considering the fate of most 6th round picks it's not a massive investment.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've made my peace with the fact that I won't be satisfied with this draft no matter what. There simply aren't enough picks to take all of the players I like. The one thing that I ask, and I don't think this is too unreasonable, is that the Ravens not draft Taylor Lewan. After Rice dragging his bagged into the public light I can't really deal with rooting for another dude that lovely.

Is lost offseason a thing too? I think the one thing Ravens fans can depend on is their draft not being terrible.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Didn't people speculate that Hoyer would suck hard too? Mallett might be nothing but there is an argument to made for bringing him in for a 6th considering the fate of most 6th round picks it's not a massive investment.

Well I also looked at the rushing stat instead of the passing stat in PFR (mutter)

For some reason the little google blurb shows rushing yards instead of passing yards but doesn't identify them as such

But anyway, Mallett would also push Keenum out which would make me one sad fan

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I can't wait for the Jaguars to select JFF only for him to pull an Eli and demand a trade.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

Hoyer played three and a half games before getting hurt, it is still well within the realm of possibility that he in fact sucks hard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

I can't wait for the Jaguars to select JFF only for him to pull an Eli and demand a trade.

Better than the bullshit rumors about Bradford going to the Jags for a 2nd rounder and the Rams taking him.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

BlindSite posted:

Is lost offseason a thing too? I think the one thing Ravens fans can depend on is their draft not being terrible.

No, it should be good. We just aren't likely to take 24 first/second round prospects that I fallen in love with over the past few months.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I've basically remained ignorant of the draft this year, so for the most part I'm going into tonight blind. Why did I hear that a lot of teams were souring on Bridgewater though? Poor combine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hoyer played three and a half games before getting hurt, it is still well within the realm of possibility that he in fact sucks hard.

Fair enough, but he showed a lot more than I expected.

• Locked thread