Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
You people are way too caught up in this Int vs. Wis crap. The correct answer is more points in Str, so to make more smash. Puny weaklings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I don't blame him for being nervous about wasting even one stat point. I've played korean mmos and some of them are just brutal with how stat allocations are set up. In Ragnarok Online int based classes had break points for int, so going from 123 int to 124 might gain you 1 point more damage on your spells, 125 to 125 though? That was a boost of 500 damage. They also set it up so that the only way to hit the highest breakpoints was to put every point into int and get the best .001% drop rate items, .001% drop rate items that drop from a special boss that appears in a semi-random location on a 12 hour timer. I'm not even exaggerating here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That's one of the things I like about setting like this where the range of magic is diverse but your aptitude is informed by your life experiences. There was an TRPG I played years ago called Mage: The Ascension where reality was presented as a mutable entity and mages were the people who could directly exert their influence over it (at some personal risk but that's not important right now). You had all kinds of factions among the mages ranging from buddhist monks with chi powers, 90s trenchcoat wearing hackers and street samurai, Harry Potter style European wizards, and the system allowed for you to just make up your own paradigm for how your magic looked and just handled the effect it could have on the world.

The world of The Gamer seems similar to that given the range of ability users we have seen. Even though Han has a gamer ability he treats it like a Korean MMO because that's what he knows. If a gamer with a history of western single player RPGs got this power they may focus on different stats that are more beneficial to the types of games they play (Wisdom for anyone familiar with Planescape Torment). Heck, a player with more experience working with action games that have RPG elements (:darksouls:) might focus more on stats related towards equipment requirements so they could whip out a 40 STR hammer and dominate their enemies.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm gonna be loving furious if he's been bumbling around in the dark afraid to experiment with this power beyond finding one thing that he can work with if he finds a loving respec potion or something.

Though if they make a serious plot point about real life not being an MMO, even with gamer powers, that'll be pretty cool and redeem this. I get that Korean MMOs can be super rough, but he's the only one that can make an optimized build anyway so I don't think he needs to worry about min-maxing.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 8, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He should look for some way to respec and also spam his observe skill until he can see Sun-Il's stats

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno why you wouldn't bump your fundamental physical stats until you were at least in Jason Bourne status. Doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult or require that many points to get your agility/strength/constitution up to where you're close to the pinnacle of non-magical human fitness.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fabricated posted:

I dunno why you wouldn't bump your fundamental physical stats until you were at least in Jason Bourne status. Doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult or require that many points to get your agility/strength/constitution up to where you're close to the pinnacle of non-magical human fitness.

I was hoping he'd take a broader approach to all this after those dudes almost killed him or enslaved him, which is why I am so frustrated he decided to double down on magic. I mean sure, spec in magic, that's pretty loving awesome, but everyone's been telling you and your experiences have been showing you that you need to learn to handle yourself. Why wrack your brain trying to come up with evasion magic or whatever when you can just learn to dodge?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm kinda surprised, looking back at the Auction, that he never bought the book on Illusion Magic. It was right there as he was fretting about being unable to dodge and needing a tank. I guess Jee-Han is really good at missing the forest for the trees.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm kinda surprised, looking back at the Auction, that he never bought the book on Illusion Magic. It was right there as he was fretting about being unable to dodge and needing a tank. I guess Jee-Han is really good at missing the forest for the trees.

It's almost like he makes unwise decisions :hehe:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dragonatrix posted:

This is probably gonna be my thing now, but man maybe he would've seen the benefits of illusion magic if he had more wisdom.

Fabricated posted:

As has been said before, he's used to thems Korean MMOs and hasn't quite resigned himself to the idea that A. this isn't a Korean MMO, and B. even if it was, you're not gonna accidentally optimize your build as the only person to play this game without any idea of what's going on. He's sticking to the power structure he knows without understanding that you need to have slightly different skills and ideas when you're blazing a trail into unmarked territory. The reason the top builds in some Korean MMO don't have wisdom is because some blokes found out that you don't need wisdom for this build/class/whatever. I imagine the main character hasn't been at the forefront of new tech or actually started something brand new before.

That said, he basically needs to raise all his stats to some reasonable level, and getting his physical stats to Jason Bourne levels seems like a good start. After he gets the wisdom to know he should do that.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if a help menu popped up when he's in danger and screams out for "help", since I don't think that happened so far. Is it even similar in Korean, though?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone else notice the imagined images of the various elementals were all girl-shaped? Here I am, thinking, "earth elemental" and I'm thinking of a wood golem from Asheron's Call. He's thinking, slender dryad. At least he realized he can figure out how to summon all the various types on his own once he has the basics down.

I think he just wants to up his INT so he can read that Divine Something-Or-The-Other book from Sun Il's grandpa from early on. If he learns that, he can heal like anything, right? Or something? His INT has to be like 90-something.

At least he has a goal. I think he's an Og-Mage.

And, uh, yeah, let's learn a brand new, exciting, skill and just talk about using it but not actually do it until next week's chapter. Gah! The face he made while rolling around on the ground was pretty awesome.

He needs a logout button.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man, i can't wait 'til chapter 34 comes out, i've been getting antsy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HenryEx posted:

It's already out dude. Chapter 36 just came out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He's talking about better translations.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Experiment more and read the drat book.

That was the first thing he said he'd do after he realized it wasn't a skill book. He just hasn't done it yet because it was a long day.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Go and look at the differences between the "bad" translations and the "good" ones, there is barely any difference.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Red Mike posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a help menu popped up when he's in danger and screams out for "help", since I don't think that happened so far. Is it even similar in Korean, though?

Kinda. The standard Korean equivalent of screaming out "HELP!" in a dangerous situation is literally translated as, "SAVE ME!". Literally screaming out 'help' in Korean is roughly equivalent to screaming out 'save me' in English, which is to say not the #1 cliche choice, but just as valid.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Twiddy posted:

As has been said before, he's used to thems Korean MMOs and hasn't quite resigned himself to the idea that A. this isn't a Korean MMO, and B. even if it was, you're not gonna accidentally optimize your build as the only person to play this game without any idea of what's going on.

I dunno why people are thinking that following the Korean MMO path won't be the correct one in the end. I'm pretty sure that's where the author's gonna go with this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Law Cheetah posted:

I dunno why people are thinking that following the Korean MMO path won't be the correct one in the end. I'm pretty sure that's where the author's gonna go with this.

Yeah, I'm guessing that being able to min-max will be his advantage over the plebs. That's not really an option for most people.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Because that's incredibly useless?

He is already aware that people in the Abyss, the powerful one, tends to be so powerful that having 'decent' base stats in everything won't help at all.

It's not like there is any real reason for him to want to be especially good at sports or something. It's not the same INT that enables him to get good grade and get a good job (before he realized he could just get money via grinding).

Anyway, pretty sure he is realizing he needs WIS, as he commented about "needing to be able to understand things better". I -think- the translation talked about putting point on INT when it should have been in WIS (translation mistake). I don't speak Korean, though.

His goal of 'investing everything into being a mage that can use spell to dodge/travel/tank' makes perfect sense, though it is of course not a mage-knight type of thing that some might prefer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Honestly he should have just put all his points into charisma and inspired other people to fight for him.

(was charisma even one of his stats?)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Arkeus posted:

He is already aware that people in the Abyss, the powerful one, tends to be so powerful that having 'decent' base stats in everything won't help at all.

It's not like there is any real reason for him to want to be especially good at sports or something. It's not the same INT that enables him to get good grade and get a good job (before he realized he could just get money via grinding).

Anyway, pretty sure he is realizing he needs WIS, as he commented about "needing to be able to understand things better". I -think- the translation talked about putting point on INT when it should have been in WIS (translation mistake). I don't speak Korean, though.

His goal of 'investing everything into being a mage that can use spell to dodge/travel/tank' makes perfect sense, though it is of course not a mage-knight type of thing that some might prefer.

What the gently caress? This translation is really bad in a subtle way. The translation goes, "Uhm, do I have to up my intelligence or something? Being smart doesn't make me wiser, right?"

An actual translation goes, "Should I raise my Wisdom? Intelligence means being smarter, but not necessarily wiser, right?"

The translation mixes up Int and Wis.

EDIT: So yes, you were right. Translation mistake.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Basically HenryEx has the right idea here.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Amstrad posted:

I'm actually afraid of this happening.
That goddamn elemental better be some sort of craggy rock monster or I'll be pissed.

Because I read some BSS comic threads recently I want him to be this guy:

Dan7el posted:

Anyone else notice the imagined images of the various elementals were all girl-shaped? Here I am, thinking, "earth elemental" and I'm thinking of a wood golem from Asheron's Call. He's thinking, slender dryad. At least he realized he can figure out how to summon all the various types on his own once he has the basics down.

Nah, the fire one looks like a dude. The water one is a popular image of an Undine and the wind one is supposed to be a Sylph.

This chapter made me rethink his mom's sudden level change - would make sense if she's doing that because she has informants in the Abyss and is trying to keep a low profile against the Auction guys/assorted bad dudes. Presumably at her real level she would be competent enough to fool Jee-han's observe skill, and as far as we know, she has been avoiding getting involved personally in Jee-han's new adventures in the magic realm.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 9, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arkeus posted:

he'll still be a mage or whatever, but it'd prolly be useful to not get tired at the same rate as a regular schlub when running away from said deadly people. The crazies in the abyss are powerful yeah but the world he's in is still physically designed for regular human beings.

Being able to take at least one more hit or be able to sprint solid for a few minutes or vault over walls as a parkour wizard would be pretty handy when your MP inevitably runs out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fabricated posted:

he'll still be a mage or whatever, but it'd prolly be useful to not get tired at the same rate as a regular schlub when running away from said deadly people. The crazies in the abyss are powerful yeah but the world he's in is still physically designed for regular human beings.

Being able to take at least one more hit or be able to sprint solid for a few minutes or vault over walls as a parkour wizard would be pretty handy when your MP inevitably runs out.

Or he could learn to teleport.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Or he could learn to teleport.

Eventually he's going to run into a problem that his level of magic can't solve, and not have someone to swoop in and gank his aggressor. Then he'll wish he leveled up his "Run like the dickens" skill.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Brought To You By posted:

Eventually he's going to run into a problem that his level of magic can't solve, and not have someone to swoop in and gank his aggressor. Then he'll wish he leveled up his "Run like the dickens" skill.
Clearly he must get to a higher level of magic :pseudo:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Clearly he must get to a higher level of magic :pseudo:

When he increases his wisdom, he'll finally start to use the Pause command in the main menu.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

pnumoman posted:

When he increases his wisdom, he'll finally start to use the Pause command in the main menu.

Honestly, that did occur to me - if Wisdom is about making the best of the choices you already know you have, this would basically be the ultimate application of that concept. Maybe start with just a bullet-time mode, and eventually work up to a pause. And he can grind his Pause skill so that he can keep the game paused for longer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Having more time to think doesn't mean you'll make better decisions. In some ways more wisdom seems like it should let you take less time time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HenryEx posted:

Mangacow just picked it up and its a lot better quality than the other speed group to start doing it

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Law Cheetah posted:

Just because that's the way the real world works and therefore would probably be the actual correct decision. Obviously at the end of the day, the author's gonna do what the author's gonna do.

Arkeus posted:

Who expects him to match the people in the Abyss at all? Really, this is just so that he doesn't become the mage equivalent of Rainman. Dude should have a basic level of fitness he gets to at least. He should be able to effectively manage with his physical being, otherwise he is way too easily shut down. There's also the fact that a healthy body gives a healthy mind. I'm pretty sure the author hasn't thought that far, but it would be a realistically good decision.

Overall though...

Dan7el posted:

I think he just wants to up his INT so he can read that Divine Something-Or-The-Other book from Sun Il's grandpa from early on. If he learns that, he can heal like anything, right? Or something? His INT has to be like 90-something.
I remembered that was a thing, but I thought he already reached that point. Guess not. Suddenly much more in favor of forgetting wisdom until he gets to that much intelligence.

I mean, the point of getting more wisdom is so that he can have better insight, see more options, and make better decisions. That doesn't help when there isn't a decision. Gotta break through that barrier first.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 9, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Actually, isn't that 90 Int technique off limit to non-clanmates? I seem to recall something along that line. They're willing to teach him their basic techniques because he's a friend of the clan, not so much the top-level stuff.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Someone needs to hand him a Rincewind novel. :v:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Twiddy posted:

Who expects him to match the people in the Abyss at all? Really, this is just so that he doesn't become the mage equivalent of Rainman. Dude should have a basic level of fitness he gets to at least. He should be able to effectively manage with his physical being, otherwise he is way too easily shut down. There's also the fact that a healthy body gives a healthy mind. I'm pretty sure the author hasn't thought that far, but it would be a realistically good decision.

But he does have a basic level of fitness. Moreover, he can heal at a stupidly quick rate.

He is correct in thinking that any points in in Body abilities is utterly useless unless he focus enough on them to increase them to a level where he can do mage-knight type stuff where he uses magic to increase them further with multipliers.

'Health mind in a healthy body' is a whole load of trash in real life, and is even worse in this webtoon where he already has passives that grants him that. If you mean a -smart- mind, that would be INT or WIS.

quote:

I mean, the point of getting more wisdom is so that he can have better insight, see more options, and make better decisions. That doesn't help when there isn't a decision. Gotta break through that barrier first.

Wisdom might also increase his multiplier on 'learning' from non-skill books, so that he can grasp concept and gain point boosts without having actual direct teaching.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Arkeus posted:

'Health mind in a healthy body' is a whole load of trash in real life, and is even worse in this webtoon where he already has passives that grants him that. If you mean a -smart- mind, that would be INT or WIS.
Show me the study and statistics that it's a load of trash. I kind of wanted to do it myself, but I couldn't find where to begin, since I couldn't find that conclusion.

quote:

Wisdom might also increase his multiplier on 'learning' from non-skill books, so that he can grasp concept and gain point boosts without having actual direct teaching.
Yes, it might. But as others have said, that benefit isn't quite known yet. I'm just going off what benefits it most likely has to give (more wisdom means you're wiser).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Actually, isn't that 90 Int technique off limit to non-clanmates? I seem to recall something along that line. They're willing to teach him their basic techniques because he's a friend of the clan, not so much the top-level stuff.

It was in the box of books that they let him try to learn. I'm pretty sure they don't mind since they just handed it to him.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Arkeus posted:

'Health mind in a healthy body' is a whole load of trash in real life, and is even worse in this webtoon where he already has passives that grants him that.

It's really not, if your metabolism is all jacked up it'll leave you feeling very sluggish. Exercise and diet also have very direct effects on neurochemistry.

I agree that this kinda stuff probably doesn't have a place in this webtoon but in the real world it's anything but a load of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

XboxPants posted:

It's really not, if your metabolism is all jacked up it'll leave you feeling very sluggish. Exercise and diet also have very direct effects on neurochemistry.

I agree that this kinda stuff probably doesn't have a place in this webtoon but in the real world it's anything but a load of trash.
Yeah, that's why I said that I'm pretty sure the author hasn't thought ahead that far. I'm really focusing on how good the decision would be in a real world as presented in the webtoon, not the complete world the webtoon author creates. Basically, implant all the knowledge we have now into the real world.

The actual effectiveness of any tactic in the story is limited by either the author's knowledge or whatever conclusion/world he wants to create. He may ignore or be ignorant of some details and therefore they won't be addressed in the webtoon (thus not being relevant), but I'm trying not to assume what the author knows or what knowledge is going to be implanted into the world he's creating. Basically, this is a very lengthy justification that summarizes to "I'm just using the tools I got, man."

Also yeah, my comment to "show me statistics and studies" might seem annoyingly dismissive but I actually have been looking and everything shows positive correlations. The most damning thing I see is that the benefits of health only affect specific parts of intelligence, and possibly not all areas. I think you're just bitter Arkeus.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 9, 2014