Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unfortunately, I think there's a good argument to be made that it's all downhill from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Clarste posted:

Unfortunately, I think there's a good argument to be made that it's all downhill from there.

I'd say that the Akari arc and some of the recapture sub-arcs in the Goddess arc are just as good, but it's a definite high point of the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's kind of apples and oranges but I'd say a good number of parts in the goddess arc were better than a great number of the original capture arcs. It was a pretty darn good arc, overall.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The climax of the goddess arc is easily the high point of the manga for me.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I really liked the two captures done in the past. Kaori was convoluted as all gently caress but nuts and fun, and how can you not love Urara using demonic powers to ride rollercoasters and graduate college. Is that a spoiler? I don't know! I really wish it just kept on trucking with romance-of-the-weeks instead of spiraling to a conclusion.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

To this day I do not understand what people like about Ayumi or Kanon.

Also not liking Yui is an objectively wrong opinion.

Some people (myself included) like sporty, energetic types even if they are pretty generic. Kanon just fills the obligatory idol role (we've only had at least one Idol show every season for the past 2 years or so). Yui's a little too masculine for my taste, If she was more girlish she'd have been my favourite.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The climax of the goddess arc is easily the high point of the manga for me.

Same for me. The goddess arc is the best.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
So do you guys have any recommendations of similar series that I should read now that this one is over?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
TWGOK is pretty unique as is, but there are a ton of "what if life was like a video game" series. The Gamer is an example that currently has a thread, and I recall a couple shows where something similar was the basic concept.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Date-A-Live is a good option, the premise is really similar but is in the 'Battle Harem' genre.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Date-A-Live is a good option, the premise is really similar but is in the 'Battle Harem' genre.

I found the first several episodes of that anime to be not to my taste. Would you care to highlight some of its selling points?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I found the first several episodes of that anime to be not to my taste. Would you care to highlight some of its selling points?

Mainly is the chemistry between Shido and the girls, he's pretty proactive for an harem protagonist and is easy to root for him The series' more zany aspects are so dumb and aren't take serioulsy making it a goldmine of comedy, is low on fanservice if you're bothered for it (or at least the version I saw). And Tohka is so loving adorable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4dLA3NwW0o

She's so earnest to learn :3:

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Also, Kurumi owns and if you feel meh about the show after the first several episodes (which understandable, they're not very good (read: pretty lovely)) just watch episodes with her (7-10 and 12).

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 5, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahaha, man, they're just running the gamut of fetishes! Shrinking, body swap, now giantess? She's got an interesting attitude, at least.

edit: chapter 97 :stare:

That got pretty dark for a bit, but all's well that ends well! Hinoki was a great character and her fight with her sister was brutal as hell, that was a real messed-up looking spirit that came out of it all.

And I knew that teacher was more than just background dressing when the teacher-in-training got the capture arc instead of her. It figures that's who she turned out to be. :smug:

edit: as of the beginning of chapter 102 Keima continues to be a totally heinous and bland shitheel. He's shown smidgens of interesting character development occasionally throughout the story only for that to get thrown completely out the window pretty much as soon as any arc is over. Now he's just kicking the puppy(Elsie) with his aloofness. He sucks and is pretty much the one character I totally dislike as a character(and rather not for what happens to him) in the series so far.

edit: 102: oh okay, he wants to cheer her up, MAYBE HE'S HAVING A CHANGE OF HEART(!!!)

edit: 102: OH THE SHENANIGANS

105: Diana, you schemer :allears:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 5, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Mainly is the chemistry between Shido and the girls, he's pretty proactive for an harem protagonist and is easy to root for him The series' more zany aspects are so dumb and aren't take serioulsy making it a goldmine of comedy, is low on fanservice if you're bothered for it (or at least the version I saw). And Tohka is so loving adorable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4dLA3NwW0o

She's so earnest to learn :3:

Oddly enough when I finished watching "The Devil Is A Part Timer" Hulu decided to thrust me into Date-A-Live right after. I saw the first 5 minutes and was :stonk: at the implied fanservice But it was actually funny. Granted, watching season 2 episode 3 as a starting point is not the best point, but that was Hulu's fault not me. Might give it a shot.

Also even though Yui is the best overall, kitty-shaped taser Kanon in the anime was great. v:v:v

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw, Kanon has the goddess in her? She is the least interesting of the capture girls. Boo-urns

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Captain Invictus posted:

Aw, Kanon has the goddess in her? She is the least interesting of the capture girls. Boo-urns

mangaka gotta get paid, got families to feed

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Oddly enough when I finished watching "The Devil Is A Part Timer" Hulu decided to thrust me into Date-A-Live right after. I saw the first 5 minutes and was :stonk: at the implied fanservice But it was actually funny. Granted, watching season 2 episode 3 as a starting point is not the best point, but that was Hulu's fault not me. Might give it a shot.

Date-A-Live is fun. Not the same as this series, but still fun. It's a bit of dissonance going from competent, genre-savy Keima, to "just a normal guy with common sense" Shidou.

But unlike Keima, who operated pretty much in a vacuum, Shidou has to worry about the other girls, and his classmates reactions.

There's fanservice, but don't let it bother you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's not really all that similar, but My Neighbor Seki is serving as a replacement for me. It's basically short chapters about a kid who sits in the corner in class doing dumb poo poo like gardening, digging treasures or playing chess and the girl next to him that gets distracted by the wacky antics and gets in trouble because of them.
Seki hardly ever talks and is usually conscious of others so far as to be able to goof off in class without being caught.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I can also vouch for DAL, but harems and romcoms are like 95% of what I watch so that probably lowers the value of my opinion pretty significantly :shrug:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I just finished reading this, great fun pretty much the whole way through even if the end was rushed. I'll probably watch the anime next but can anyone recommend me a similar manga to read?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I watch most things that I start. It takes a ton to get me to stop watching a series. I am not proud of this trait. :sigh: I'll give DAL a shot. Also Tonari no Seki-kun rules and everyone reading this should watch it.

Brasseye posted:

I just finished reading this, great fun pretty much the whole way through even if the end was rushed. I'll probably watch the anime next but can anyone recommend me a similar manga to read?

Not going to go into detail, but the ending for the anime is quite different if not incomplete. I enjoyed it for what it was, but watching it after reading the manga made me sad/disappointed. So keep it separated mentally and enjoy the anime on its own.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Decided to blitz the entire goddess saga at once. I'll post more later, but for now, just saying that the person who said it was all downhill from the Yui arc was wroooooooongggggg

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nah most of us think the goddess saga is solid. It's basically the final arc's pacing issues which everyone has issues with.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Allarion posted:

Nah most of us think the goddess saga is solid. It's basically the final arc's pacing issues which everyone has issues with.

And really, the final arc is only bad in comparison to the rest of the series. It's got some pacing issues and at times it feels almost superfluous to the work as a whole, but it's not straight up bad.

It might even be vastly improved if read all at once as opposed to being absorbed weekly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Believe me, it is. I can't imagine having to wait a week between every chapter for it, but all at once it's alright.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reading the next arc, and I like urara as a character. I DO NOT like her as a source of fan service, it's just gross. I think that page with her scantily clad in her adult form, cleavage hanging out, with "Urara Shiratori(age 7)" was THE MOST ANIME image I have seen in a long loving time. It was just gross.

And I just reached this Kanon poo poo. What? Why?

Other than fan service complaints, I am largely enjoying this so far though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Captain Invictus posted:

Mangaka gotta get paid.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Unfortunately you're getting towards the end. I think after the Urara arc, there's only about 30 chapters to go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know that, and that's fine so long as there's no more dumb Kanon side stories.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
You're in luck! IIRC, from here on out, nobody does much of anything ever again. Man, what a letdown.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks for replying with vague spoilers because you're bitter and unsatisfied with the ending I guess? Think I'll avoid the thread until I've finished the series then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kaori sucks and is a boring character, this school thing is dragging on too long, looks like I'm heading towards the "mess of an ending" or whatever! :allears:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I was waiting for you to reach this part. :haw: It was inevitable.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Captain Invictus posted:

Kaori sucks and is a boring character, this school thing is dragging on too long, looks like I'm heading towards the "mess of an ending" or whatever! :allears:

Personally I thought the school thing was fun. (the part after Urara that is)

You might want to start paying extra attention to things starting from here so that certain developments don't seem to come out of left field.

I really hope you didn't find that to be a spoiler, I'm sorry if you do. :(

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I recently decided to start up on this series. Went on a marathon through all 3 seasons of the anime and now I'm starting up on the manga. I was happily surprised at how this series has turned out. It was not what I was expecting given the premise and all the characters feel developed to the point where you actually care about them. Though it's pretty :smith: about Chihiro. Especially since she actually falls for Keima of her own free will way before he ever got into the whole lost souls mess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TWGOK has pretty much no right to be as good as it is considering its premise.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, when a friend first recommended it to me I thought it was a round about way of calling me an rear end in a top hat. Do I look like the kind of guy who wants to read a series about a gaming nerd tricking anime girl stereotypes into liking him? What the gently caress?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

Though it's pretty :smith: about Chihiro. Especially since she actually falls for Keima of her own free will way before he ever got into the whole lost souls mess.

I was hoping for a Haqua or Ayumi end, personally. I would've also been fine with Yui or Shiori. Chihiro would've been my last pick, aside from maybe Tsukiyo and Kanon (let's face it, idols are over-done).

BlitzBlast posted:

It also has no right to have a proper end for a harem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That Romeo and Juliet gag was pretty loving outstanding

edit: Romeo and Juliet with Terminators, yep yep

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 9, 2014

• Locked thread