Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's a nice change from back when this thread was aggressive as gently caress about minecraft and literally wanted Notch dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

People in this thread forum sure don't like discussing a games shortcomings without getting real defensive.

Let's be accurate here.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

flatluigi posted:

It's a nice change from back when this thread was aggressive as gently caress about minecraft and literally wanted Notch dead

Notch and Hitler both have five letters in their name. Coincidence?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Notch and Hitler both have five letters in their name. Coincidence?

Who was that dude who kept getting banned and reregging to make progressively worse fakeposts about how racist Notch was until he got permabanned? I know he bought the awful :notch: emote too

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Windfall posted:

Did you guys seriously just fight about this for another page?
...followed by you arguing about it for 12 paragraphs.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Schweinhund posted:

...followed by you arguing about it for 12 paragraphs.

With you. Not with the devs. Not with the intention of making it a front and center issue to the whole global MC community. Which you all are. But do keep trying to sound clever, that seems to be far more important to these criticisms than any real contributions to the Minecraft concept. You all just want to sound so smart by punishing those awful devs for their mistakes you wouldn't make.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

*Keincraft

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

*Keincraft

Yes.

Also you can now launch entities sideways as well as up with the slime blocks. Should be fun to make defensive devices to hurl zombies off cliffs to their doom.

http://www.gfycat.com/MadeupOddBighornsheep

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Windfall posted:

I'm not sure how your reply goes with anything that I said. Reading comprehension fail.

No one in here has managed to come up with any examples of how this personally holds them back, in some way that stands out among the thousands of other design problems with the game that do. And it's because you all already know how to craft things and have no need for a tutorial. Except for one guy on this page. Who sounds like a baby because they know perfectly well where to find all the information via the wiki. And expect in-game messages for every extremely pedantic detail like "flipping this picture frame is now detectable by redstone!" and "only leaping from a surface at least on the same y-level as this crop will trample it now!"

And to counter that anecdote with a different one: I'm not annoyed at all by having to alt-tab to refer to instructions or videos; the separation is nice. I'd be a lot more annoyed if it was clunkily trying to share space in the same window as the game, where best-case, they would just be re-inventing the concept of tabs and windows for no reason. So it's not even necessarily a flaw, like the conversation has assumed thus far. Who cares.

But even with that assumption it's REALLY not a flaw worth bringing tons of attention to, when it probably does not affect you as a player at all, on behalf of some imaginary player. You're not interested in improving the game at all when it's like that; at that point you're just mad at the developers for some perceived sin and for not having your skills. Douchey.

You're not being very chill about discussing the block game Minecraft.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Windfall posted:

With you. Not with the devs. Not with the intention of making it a front and center issue to the whole global MC community. Which you all are. But do keep trying to sound clever, that seems to be far more important to these criticisms than any real contributions to the Minecraft concept. You all just want to sound so smart by punishing those awful devs for their mistakes you wouldn't make.

Wait a second. So you talk crap about people arguing in this very thread for more than a page about design flaws but you arguing with THEM doesn't count? You realize no one here is a Mojang dev right? Everyone here is responding to each other, the same way you are responding to them. This is kind of funny coming from the guy who brings up people trying to seems smarter than they are.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Hey, remember where there was like a month in the history of the entire universe when this stupid loving argument about in-game crafting assistance wasn't happening?

Those were good times.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Hey, remember where there was like a month in the history of the entire universe when this stupid loving argument about in-game crafting assistance wasn't happening?

Those were good times.

Must have missed that month.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Windfall posted:

Not with the intention of making it a front and center issue to the whole global MC community.

loving goons with their goddamn global agendas! :argh:

Art Flower
Jan 11, 2014
I've just started a new world with some of my friends. Actually it's first time I play in survival mode with friends.

Where can I find diamond and gold easily? I never saw it during 6 hours of play. (only one of my friend found little bit of gold and diamond)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Diamond head down to the lower levels, about 10-15 and drill sideways.

Gold the most efficient method is to find some mid-level cave network and explore it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

oddium posted:

*Keincraft
Mein Kraft.

:notch: :hitler: :notch:

Art Flower
Jan 11, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Diamond head down to the lower levels, about 10-15 and drill sideways.

Gold the most efficient method is to find some mid-level cave network and explore it.

So it's better to find a cave rather than digging anywhere?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Art Flower posted:

So it's better to find a cave rather than digging anywhere?

Pretty much.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

This lil mountain village on my hexxit map was just begging for a lil castle to watch over it!

You can basically have an UT99 deathmatch inside with all the rooms connecting to each other with weird walkways and stairs everywhere.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 10, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ok so I have an embarassingly old version of Minecraft on my computer at work (because I occassionally have downtime where I just need to be present to answer the phone or whatever and can goof off for a couple of hours) that I've resisted updating because I had a pretty elaborate build going with various mods and didn't feel like breaking everything or starting over. I hadn't fired it up in a while and decided to play a little while today and noticed I can't log in. Scrolled down through the update notices a bit and saw that there's a new launcher so I guess my stuff is so out of date I can't even log in anymore. I'm running something like 1.2.5 here, so I'm pretty sure updating means retiring that world forever. Is it finally time to say goodbye or is there any way I can keep this little piece of ancient history running without breaking all my poo poo?

I mean I guess I can just keep on trucking by playing offline but isn't it better to be logged in? I haven't played in so long I don't really even remember.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think the new launcher lets you roll the game version back quite a bit. Just backup the game world and never load up the world in 1.7.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can go back to 1.0 with the new launcher, or even earlier if you click the boxes to allow beta and alpha releases.

Just set up a new profile and click boxes in the preferences until you get what you want.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Humans Among Us posted:

This lil mountain village on my hexxit map was just begging for a lil castle to watch over it!

You can basically have an UT99 deathmatch inside with all the rooms connecting to each other with weird walkways and stairs everywhere.

Whoa this is cool, does the latest release add more interesting village placement or was I just not aware this was already possible? Even the trees look more interesting than what I've come across in my worlds.

Also just for the record (as I'm glossing over it) your castle is cool. It all ties together very nicely with the surroundings, like the whole thing was designed.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Fwoderwick posted:

Whoa this is cool, does the latest release add more interesting village placement or was I just not aware this was already possible? Even the trees look more interesting than what I've come across in my worlds.

Also just for the record (as I'm glossing over it) your castle is cool. It all ties together very nicely with the surroundings, like the whole thing was designed.

Pretty sure he has a biome pack of some sort added there, those trees don't come from vanilla Minecraft. One of the things the biome packs do really really well, imo, is to make really nice trees - it's amazing how much of a difference giant trees make in the look of the environment.

You do sometimes come across villages in mountainous terrain in vanilla tho. They're usually kind of warped (I don't think the game deals well with village placement in that type of biome), but this one looks good.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The B_36 posted:

You do sometimes come across villages in mountainous terrain in vanilla tho. They're usually kind of warped (I don't think the game deals well with village placement in that type of biome), but this one looks good.

It doesn't deal well with any kind of supposedly intelligently designed terrain features. Nether fortresses sort of get a pass because they are the product of a place of madness.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fwoderwick posted:

He is running the Hexxit mod pack, which has a bunch of mods in it, including biome stuff.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ToastyPotato posted:

I think the new launcher lets you roll the game version back quite a bit. Just backup the game world and never load up the world in 1.7.

xzzy posted:

You can go back to 1.0 with the new launcher, or even earlier if you click the boxes to allow beta and alpha releases.

Just set up a new profile and click boxes in the preferences until you get what you want.

Great! I went through and screencapped it a bunch earlier as well, just in case. TBH it's probably past time to retire it anyway, but I had a few things left I wanted to finish.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Great! I went through and screencapped it a bunch earlier as well, just in case. TBH it's probably past time to retire it anyway, but I had a few things left I wanted to finish.

With the new rollback feature, there isn't much of a reason to delete it. I wish I had saved all my old worlds, most specifically my first two. I never thought it was going to matter.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been playing on this world since 2012 so it's nice that I don't have to toss it in the trash to finally update. My old posts in this thread even have some screencaps from when I first started working on it. :allears:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The B_36 posted:

Pretty sure he has a biome pack of some sort added there, those trees don't come from vanilla Minecraft. One of the things the biome packs do really really well, imo, is to make really nice trees - it's amazing how much of a difference giant trees make in the look of the environment.

Yeah, this Hexxit map generated absolutely spectacular. Hexxit allready adds tons of random castles and fortresses and stuff but this village was just amazing, even tho more than half of the houses and farms are covered in gravel and poo poo. On top of the mountain there is a bunch of farms and houses, some of which i just assimilated into the castle.

You can see i accidentally dug a hole in the bottom of a well that spawned halfway in the mountain.
The lower part of the fort has a village blacksmith and some houses in it still.

Fwoderwick posted:

Thank you for the kind words :)

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 10, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, imagine if Minecraft world generated geography like this.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Did... did someone build that? :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From the thumbnail of the first image I was like "wait, that's just a picture of some mountains" and then I zoomed in. :aaa:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of that realism is from a nice shader pack and decent textures, but even in vanilla that would be amazing to see and explore in your worlds.

It was generated, apparently, by creating a landscape in (a tool to create realistic 3D landscapes) and then exporting heightmaps and a material map that could be translated to minecraft terrain.

Along similar 'realistic terrain gen' lines, wouldn't it be nice:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 11, 2014

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Super realistic terrain gen would be amazing, with the biomes actually making sense in their configuration.

Downside being, the only way it could really work is if biomes were "large biomes" size or larger. Much smaller than that and even with realistic "flow" it would still seem like a patchwork. Problem being, then people would bitch about how it just took them two whole Minecraft days to walk across a desert. Realistic, yes, but not a lot of fun.

One option would be to change the shape of how biomes worked I suppose. Instead of a lump of mountains/extreme hills, it could be a long narrow chain of them. That way you could have the foothills and plains extend away from them across a large area, but the mountains/plains/etc wouldn't take long to cross if you wanted to head to another biome.

All of this is kind of moot without some kind of LOD/render distance change though. Sure they look utterly bitching on world maps/renders, but if only 1/3 of the mountains actually load in for you in-game, you don't get quite the same vista. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could do it sort of Anno style, where you have a series of generated islands and they each have their own biome.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
The other downside of those "super realistic terrain" maps is that they are mostly incredibly steep hills, sharp angles and sheer drops. Decent building terrain ends up being very limited and so you end up having to mess up a lot of the terrain when building structures and when you do so it begins to make the map look like poo poo.

VVVV

Oh, for sure. But that doesn't mean what I said doesn't hold true. It isn't that it is a pain to build in those areas, it is the fact that the moment you touch the terrain (because not everything you build is going to fit right), it'll start to look worse and worse. At least that is what I've seen in the past. :v:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 11, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enzer posted:

The other downside of those "super realistic terrain" maps is that they are mostly incredibly steep hills, sharp angles and sheer drops. Decent building terrain ends up being very limited and so you end up having to mess up a lot of the terrain when building structures and when you do so it begins to make the map look like poo poo.

I actually really like building on non-flat terrain, it makes it more interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should add in dirt and stone stair blocks then have worldgen use them on steep hills. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MikeJF posted:

Man, imagine if Minecraft world generated geography like this.

That's pretty neat looking and all, but like Enzer said, it's probably a pain to get around since Minecraft's traveling/climbing/jumping is so drat limited. If it was more like Terraria and you could walk up small slopes, run at superfast speeds, and jump several blocks high, then it probably wouldn't be so bad. But here, even with those shallow slopes, you'd be hopping constantly, everywhere.