Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Actually, while we're talking about casting, Roger Ashton-Griffiths absolutely nails Mace. Mace just has absolutely no gravitas whatsoever and people ignore him not because hes a terrible person or just plain annoying, its that they really don't care about anything he says or does.

I'm hoping he gets more scenes, but nothing in which he takes a centre role. He has to be that kind, bumbling idiot just outside of the conversation who smiles and doesn't cause a fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Their casting in general has been top-notch. The only major character who is significantly different than how I imagined is Littlefinger. And Mance. Hinds is way too old for that role.

I used to dislike Lena's portrayal of Cersei earlier, but by now I'm pretty sure the show Cersei is deliberately different from book Cersei. S5 should feature her heavily, and it'll be interesting to see what she does with that part.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Svanja posted:

For anyone interested, my daughter's reaction to Tyrion's decision is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEg9lUKeSuE
It starts right before Tyrion demands trial by combat. About 3 and a half minutes long.

Would.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm starting to wonder if Stoneheart will show up this season at all. They have a lot of ground to cover as it is. There's no real reason to bring her out right now is there?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Gorn Myson posted:

Actually, while we're talking about casting, Roger Ashton-Griffiths absolutely nails Mace.

Yesssss. Before this episode I wondered why they even bothered to cast him with Olenna knocking it out of the park everytime but he was brilliant in this episode.

(turns to Shae) "I beg your pardon, you said you were his..?"

"His whore"

"...." (carefully leans back into his chair and stares off into space)

edit: GIF'ing it cuz that's up there with "GIANTS!:haw: " in my book.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 12, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Globo-Hitler III posted:

So since "Only Cat" occurs in the next episode, any chance we get AFfC material for Sansa/Baelish this season?

We definitely are. Now that we know a Only Cat is episode 7, the fact that Bronze Yohn Royce was cast is shown in a new light. We're getting the show's version of the Lords Declarant most likely.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Stoneheart will show up this season at all. They have a lot of ground to cover as it is. There's no real reason to bring her out right now is there?
I'm betting her first appearance will be when Brienne is brought before her. Before that, there might be some mentions of a Lady Stoneheart as the new leader of the Brotherhood but they leave it as a mystery as to who she really is. So it depends on where they want to leave Brienne toward the end of this season.

Victor Vermis posted:

Yesssss. Before this episode I wondered why they even bothered to cast him with Olenna knocking it out of the park everytime but he was brilliant in this episode.

(turns to Shae) "I beg your pardon, you said you were his..?"

"His whore"

"...." (carefully leans back into his chair and stares off into space)

edit: GIF'ing it cuz that's up there with "GIANTS!:haw: " in my book.

I loved how defensive he got about his "Master of Ships" title, while the fact that Oberyn didn't give a poo poo went completely over his head.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 12, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I don't know if it's been posted here or not, but I guess Wilko Johnson had a "football-sized" tumour removed from his pancreas at the end of April and is apparently on the road to recovery, at least for now.

:unsmith: Yay Wilko.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lycus posted:

I loved how defensive he got about his "Master of Ships" title, while the fact that Oberyn didn't give a poo poo went completely over his head.
I think the best bit is the smug look he gives Oberyn when Tywin asks him to get him his quill and paper, as if he just won his favour as opposed to being treated like some kind of errand boy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That Asha bit was really in the domain of 'lovely fanfic', alongside with Craster's from last week. It's funny how all the original material from the first season (which they wrote as an afterthought) was so excellent but now we get these nonsense scenes that go nowhere and add very little.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
So I assume the point of the goat dragon attack was that it will pay off with a later reveal of a child's body, possibly in The Children).

I could really see the close of Dany's story this year being the chaining of the dragons and the escape of Drogon. Though they really need some CGI shots of the dragons chilling on the pyramid.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That Asha bit was really in the domain of 'lovely fanfic', alongside with Craster's from last week. It's funny how all the original material from the first season (which they wrote as an afterthought) was so excellent but now we get these nonsense scenes that go nowhere and add very little.

Yes but the first season was based off the first book, which was tightly written but still roomy enough to allow for expansion. Now these guys are up against the absolute clusterfuck of Feast and Dance and they've got to fill in holes that Martin himself spent 12 years trying to fill with slap-dash crap. The new stuff isn't Shakespeare, but come on, look what they've got to work with.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Lycus posted:

I'm betting her first appearance will be when Brienne is brought before her. Before that, there might be some mentions of a Lady Stoneheart as the new leader of the Brotherhood but they leave it as a mystery as to who she really is. So it depends on where they want to leave Brienne toward the end of this season.

Yeah you're probably right. I just imagined that they'd make the reveal kind of a big thing, maybe end the season with it, but your idea makes more sense than that.

e: I totally thought the dragon (was it Drogon?) was going to kill that little boy on that scene with the sheep.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Naerasa posted:

Yes but the first season was based off the first book, which was tightly written but still roomy enough to allow for expansion. Now these guys are up against the absolute clusterfuck of Feast and Dance and they've got to fill in holes that Martin himself spent 12 years trying to fill with slap-dash crap. The new stuff isn't Shakespeare, but come on, look what they've got to work with.

Winter The Content Wall is Coming.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, that episode owned. The whole Yara bit was a bit weak and kinda went nowhere, but I suspect they're going to use it as a vehicle to let her run into Stannis on her way back and skip the whole Deepwood Motte thing.

I have to say, having Jaime make that deal with Tywin to save Tyrion's life was a pretty smooth move. It emphasized that the two of them were actually quite close, and it added an extra layer when Tyrion threw the whole thing back into his father's face, willingly giving up his best/only chance at survival. Made it even better when Dinklage went ahead and tried to win all the Emmys.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Like somebody pointed out in the other thread, they needed this scene in order for it to make sense for Theon not to at least try to betray Ramsey at Moat Cailin. Without the POV text, you have to do something to show how completely detached Theon is from his real identity. Like I said earlier, they could've made a decent scene if they had been willing to kill off Yara, but maybe Asha's important in the later books, so we get a really sloppy scene instead.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 12, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think this has been their best season so far, and I'm not super worried about them finding material in the upcoming books. The AV Club review breaks down why this season is working so well. For the most part, each episode has followed the running plots in the first half and then focused in on an awesome plot climax in the second half.

So if they continue in that fashion, then they just need to find 10 big plot points across the last two books for Season 5. They should have more than enough, I mean off the top of my head there's Jon Snow killing Slynt, Jon Snow getting stabbed, the battle for Mereen, Cersei's whole deal with the high septon, Quentyn getting roasted, the Kingsmoot, the end of the failed Dornish plot to crown Myrcella.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
That whole Asha rescue mission thing was terrible and clumsy :saddowns:

Perestroika posted:

I have to say, having Jaime make that deal with Tywin to save Tyrion's life was a pretty smooth move. It emphasized that the two of them were actually quite close, and it added an extra layer when Tyrion threw the whole thing back into his father's face, willingly giving up his best/only chance at survival.

Yeah, as a viewer it had me thinking Tywin probably even knew Tyrion was innocent, but was playing eleven dimensional chess to turn a poo poo situation to his advantage.

Also Mace Tyrell getting walked all over was hilarious and a nice little detail.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Naerasa posted:

Whatever criticism you might have towards the source material, senseless action scenes that have about as much gravity as fight scenes from Xena the warrior princess are not part of them.

Lycus posted:

Like somebody pointed out in the other thread, they needed this scene in order for it to make sense for Theon not to at least try to betray Ramsey at Moat Cailin. Without the POV text, you have to do something to show how completely detached Theon is from his real identity. Like I said earlier, they could've made a decent scene if they had been willing to kill off Yara, but maybe Asha's important in the later books, so we get a really sloppy scene instead.

But we got that with the close shave scene which wasn't hot garbage. Actually if Moat Cailin is done anything like it is in the books there isn't such a big conundrum as to whether Theon will follow up on Ramsay's plan or rediscover his iron born roots since everyone in Moat Cailin should be besieged, starved and generally already dying and Theon wouldn't really have much to gain from turning his cloak again at that point.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

More importantly, if Only Cat does happen next week, what should be this thread's next title?
May i suggest "Game of Thrones Spoiler Thread: Where the spoilers whores go"

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Only Chatelyn

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But we got that with the close shave scene which wasn't hot garbage. Actually if Moat Cailin is done anything like it is in the books there isn't such a big conundrum as to whether Theon will follow up on Ramsay's plan or rediscover his iron born roots since everyone in Moat Cailin should be besieged, starved and generally already dying and Theon wouldn't really have much to gain from turning his cloak again at that point.
I think the shave scene was great for introducing us to broken Theon, but not enough for conveying that Theon doesn't even consider himself "Theon" anymore.

Toplowtech posted:

More importantly, if Only Cat does happen next week, what should be this thread's next title?
May i suggest "Game of Thrones Spoiler Thread: Where the spoilers whores go"
I think simply "Where spoilers go" is better.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 12, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Lady Stonechat

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Tyrion Chats to Tywin on the Privy

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Chat of the Canals

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Milk for book readers

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: For the watch

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Manderly's Pie Recipe-Swap Thread

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: A Jojen Copy/Paste of the last thread

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Arya Goes Blind-Dating

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: For the watch

Oh my loving god it has to be this

edit: or Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Dany Chats in the Grass

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
The Yara-Ramsay fight scene wasn't great, but I do like how it underscores the changes made to Ramsay from the book. IIRC Book Ramsay's fighting style was described as simple and brutish, swinging around a sword like a cleaver. Show Ramsay, on the other hand, has this element of hosed-up immature playfulness, he doesn't treat anything seriously, and Shirtless Shortsword Style actually fits him. It's comic-book-ish but it would totally work if that scene was done better.

Also Book Ramsay is a lovely, one-dimensional, boring character and Iwan Rheon's Ramsay is an awesome villain. Whenever his eyes light up with that "ooh I just had a great idea" face, it makes my skin crawl.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hizdahr zo Loraq coming in grieving about his father seems a pretty easy play to setup a motivation for wanting to take down dany but not have the audience be constantly reminded how hes the most likely candidate behind everything. At the end they can just come back and remind everyone "My name is Hizdahr zo Loraq you killed my father prepare to die".

Building him as the morally upright guy during the occupation scenario seems pretty interesting to me anyway.

Hedrigall posted:

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Arya Goes Blind-Dating

Sorry this one wins.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The fight scenes are just dull. I don't want to start the spergchat about medieval combat again, but because of the poor cuts and choreography, I just can't get into the scenes at all.

Rome followed the HBO paradigm of not showing massive battles, but when they did fight scenes, it was something to behold.

Thirteen!

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Regardless of how funny having a big speech about saving the prince and her brother and then immediately going "actually gently caress it" afterwards, they've done a really good job building up how broken up Theon is. Like it could have been handled better but "it didn't have a point"? Really?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

The Yara-Ramsay fight scene wasn't great, but I do like how it underscores the changes made to Ramsay from the book. IIRC Book Ramsay's fighting style was described as simple and brutish, swinging around a sword like a cleaver. Show Ramsay, on the other hand, has this element of hosed-up immature playfulness, he doesn't treat anything seriously, and Shirtless Shortsword Style actually fits him. It's comic-book-ish but it would totally work if that scene was done better.

Also Book Ramsay is a lovely, one-dimensional, boring character and Iwan Rheon's Ramsay is an awesome villain. Whenever his eyes light up with that "ooh I just had a great idea" face, it makes my skin crawl.

Yeah, show Ramsay is just flat out superior. He has this kind of jovial intensity about him that makes him appear much more dangerous and frightening than all the blunt shouting of book Rams ever could. It also makes Reek's devotion to him more 'understandable' and disturbing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
The Yara attempted rescue did come across as clunky at best, but it did a decent job at offering a look at how bad Theon has become. I especially liked how he bit Yara then ran back into his cage the same way a scared pet would.

I'm still confused why they didn't try to age the Mountain up this season. At the very least give him the scar across the face he had in season 1.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I laughed out loud when Ramsay showed up to the fight. All we saw was a sex scene, then him shirtless covered in blood with zero context! show-Ramsay is really good at being twisted as hell, and way more interesting than the brutish book-Ramsay.

The Yara rescue plot seems like it was going to be something WAY different, and then at the last minute the writers completely changed the idea. I still didn't hate the scene(s) because it showed how hosed up Reek is, and just how much Ramsay loves violence and manipulation.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BioMe posted:

Regardless of how funny having a big speech about saving the prince and her brother and then immediately going "actually gently caress it" afterwards, they've done a really good job building up how broken up Theon is. Like it could have been handled better but "it didn't have a point"? Really?

After spending an entire season showing Ramsay breaking Theon it might not be necessary to remind the audience just how broken Theon is every two episodes. Not to mention that a scene having a thematic reason does not excuse the scene for being dumb as bricks.

Another thing I dislike about this scene is that it's another one of those scenes that is extremely plot driven and ignores that whole quasi-realistic tone that is a major part of ASOIAF. Basically everyone can scale a castle and get in and out, people forget to use their weapons when if it's inconvenient to the plot, Yara's ironborn are an elite crew but most of them get slaughtered by a similarly sized group of random dreadfort guards who should be nobodies.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I want someone to do an edit where we have Yara's epic moment last season, with the swelling heroic music as she announces she's taking their 'best men' to rescue Theon, followed by that clip of Theon biting her arm, and then the clip of Yara hightailing it back to the boats and saying "My brother's dead."

It would be Monty Python as gently caress.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Easy 10/10 episode. By far leaps and bounds better than all of the episodes this season. This episode was the first one that I felt strongly about. The trial couldn't have went down any more perfect. Excellent possible Emmy Award performance from Peter Dinklage. With Dinklage, the trial was even better than I imagined in the books. I never even thought about how awesome it would be for Tywin to sit on the iron throne this episode.

I would also say that the writing of the trial was considerably better than the books with Tyrion down turning the offer to confess and go to the wall before getting Oberyn's offer. If you hadn't read the books, you didn't know what he was going to do. In the books, we all knew he was going to do trial by combat. It also made Shae's betrayal sort of pointless.

Although the best part of the episode was the preview seeing that the snow Winterfell is in the show. I really didn't think it would be. That seems like something they would leave out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Penny for your thoughts

Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: Just hanging with Pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

After spending an entire season showing Ramsay breaking Theon it might not be necessary to remind the audience just how broken Theon is every two episodes. Not to mention that a scene having a thematic reason does not excuse the scene for being dumb as bricks.

Another thing I dislike about this scene is that it's another one of those scenes that is extremely plot driven and ignores that whole quasi-realistic tone that is a major part of ASOIAF. Basically everyone can scale a castle and get in and out, people forget to use their weapons when if it's inconvenient to the plot, Yara's ironborn are an elite crew but most of them get slaughtered by a similarly sized group of random dreadfort guards who should be nobodies.

It's called build up. It's one thing he's broken from torture or too afraid to attack Ramsay when he's taunting him to, and another he's so messed up he doesn't trust his rescuers even when it's his own sisters. Like the part where he has an even clearer change of escape instead of betraying his countrymen wouldn't make nearly as much sense on screen if they didn't show how broken he is stage by stage.

"My realism!" chat wasn't what I was arguing against here.

• Locked thread