Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you sell Clint Howard ice cream with the gumball eyes that are always slightly askew, well that would just be spot on.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please tell me this is how they introduced themselves.
Yep, opening chat-up line from each of them. "Hey so I notice you said you're into scifi haha what do you think of JJ Abrams take on the new Star Wars? I'm so excited lol"

Variations on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TwistedLadder posted:

I opened an OkCupid account the other day and have been been asked by at least three different people for my opinion on JJ Abrams doing Star Wars.

Well we're waiting, young lady.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TwistedLadder posted:

Yep, opening chat-up line from each of them. "Hey so I notice you said you're into scifi haha what do you think of JJ Abrams take on the new Star Wars? I'm so excited lol"

Variations on that.

Would it be greedy of you to date three people at the same time, 'cuz drat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm actually a lifelong Star Wars fan and not only do I not give a poo poo about the new Star Wars movies, I'm kind of sick of hearing about it at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I imagine it's just a reflex for some people.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

OKCupid... You fear to go into those mines. The dwarves dated too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum... neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

TwistedLadder posted:

I opened an OkCupid account the other day and have been been asked by at least three different people for my opinion on JJ Abrams doing Star Wars.

...and? What's your opinion?

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I know, I can hardly contain myself with all of these impressive suitors.

CPL593H posted:

I'm actually a lifelong Star Wars fan and not only do I not give a poo poo about the new Star Wars movies, I'm kind of sick of hearing about it at all.
That is exactly my feelings on it as well.

Edit: the progression went something like this. "Oh, they're making new Star Wars movies? I wonder if they'll do the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy, I enjoyed those books back in the day. Oh, it's a JJ Abrams project? Okay. It'll probably look pretty. :shrug:"

And that was the extent of it.

I Before E posted:

OKCupid... You fear to go into those mines. The dwarves dated too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum... neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds.

TwistedLadder fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 13, 2014

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please tell me this is how they introduced themselves. Internet icebreaker.

Did you hear about Pluto? Messed up, right?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm about a third of the way through Devil In the White City today, and I wasn't really getting the dual story format until I realized (spoilers for the person who just ordered the book, I guess) that it's contrasting the monstrousness of American men of greatness with the greatness of American monsters. Specifically, though the passages are far apart, the section about the workers building skyscraper foundations dying from the bends can be paired with the later description of Holmes' lair- two buildings which swallow people up. The description of how Holmes intentionally kept the construction of his home extremely segmented and regularly fired his work crew to prevent anyone from understanding his design can be applied more broadly to the capitalist alienation of labor, which of course plays into a massive prestige project like the Worlds' Fair.

Also, the Whitechapel Society just makes me laugh to think about. It sounds like a college frat with a cargo cult Church of Thelema theme or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Some guy stopped at the red light outside my apartment on a motorcycle blasting 'Drops of Jupiter' on the radio. I didn't even know motorcycles had radios.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TwistedLadder posted:

Your tweets about your OKCupid messages have been consistently entertaining so I'd say you did a great thing by starting it :allears:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Some guy stopped at the red light outside my apartment on a motorcycle blasting 'Drops of Jupiter' on the radio. I didn't even know motorcycles had radios.

Looks like someone's never played Grand Theft Auto.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only message I have ever received on OkCupid was an old gay man who said he only liked to talk to straight guys (?). Being some average looking white dude whose favorite film is The Pervert's Guide To Ideology isn't exactly a crowd pleaser. v:shobon:v

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah and they are really loud because you have to hear them over the engine. It's ridiculously obnoxious. Usually don't see them on anything but touring bikes. Better than headphones under your helmet I guess though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

One time I logged into my Myspace after like 6 years of disuse and found a message from an old-timey Circus strongman that wanted to meet up and bone.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Anonymous Robot posted:

One time I logged into my Myspace after like 6 years of disuse and found a message from an old-timey Circus strongman that wanted to meet up and bone.

So how was it?

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Your tweets about your OKCupid messages have been consistently entertaining so I'd say you did a great thing by starting it :allears:
Happy to be of service :3:

FishBulb posted:

So how was it?
Seriously, man, don't leave us hanging.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I imagine this was the mood music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anonymous Robot posted:

There's an Xbox One joke somewhere in here.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

The MSJ posted:

For context, MTV also gave Menace II Society the Best Movie award over Schindler's List and Jurassic Park. It's the best award show.

My estimation of the MTV Movie Awards just went up dramatically.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FishBulb posted:

So how was it?

Carnivalesque.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Carnivalesque.

Carnival knowledge.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Imagine if instead of John Carter it was John Cena.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hey whoever was doing the new shot context blog, I brought this up in the poster thread but:

and

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I could've sworn there was some low budget movie from the 70's or 80's that was given free kfc every day in return for a little prod placement, but having trouble finding it now. I can remember seeing behind scenes pics of the colonel or someone similar. I'm not sure if it was a horror, like TCM, or a comedy like Animal House or Strange Brew.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

effectual posted:

I could've sworn there was some low budget movie from the 70's or 80's that was given free kfc every day in return for a little prod placement, but having trouble finding it now. I can remember seeing behind scenes pics of the colonel or someone similar. I'm not sure if it was a horror, like TCM, or a comedy like Animal House or Strange Brew.

Equinox perhaps. From what I remember, KFC gave that deal to a lot of low budget films, so you'll see the characters eating fried chicken in quite a few. The Colonel himself appears in some biker movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmFNRijVz4s

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've had Dazed And Confused on my DVR for exactly one year today, and I still haven't watched it.

Tomorrow is my last day of class before summer break.

I feel like that's noteworthy somehow.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Slice of life: I finished college today.

Not as exciting as having Clint Howard's love child but I'm happy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

Congratulations, and welcome to the grind.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TrixRabbi posted:

I am currently in the process of running back to college like a scared child after The Real World crushed me like a small insect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mr. stefan posted:

I am currently in the process of running back to college like a scared child after The Real World crushed me like a small insect.

That show would do a number on anyone.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

TrixRabbi posted:

Congratulations, despite the variations of the economy and job prospects you have achieved something many people will not, be proud of yourself.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

Congratulations, despite the variations of the economy and job prospects you have achieved something many people will not, be proud of yourself.

On the other hand, you're probably going to die poor.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Literally The Worst posted:

On the other hand, you're probably going to die poor.

Who isn't? like 6 dudes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FishBulb posted:

Who isn't? like 6 dudes

That's what they think.

Wait, I left a comma out. It should be "You're going to die, poor."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FishBulb posted:

Who isn't? like 6 dudes

YO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Give me some money then.

• Locked thread