Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Oh, and that Halo 5 thing was clearly inserted to get people whispering about it. That map and gametype are from Halo 4, and while I wouldn't be too surprised to see Infinity Slayer show up again, Haven is strictly out. Even if they were to include it, it would be renamed ala Zanzibar -> Last Resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I still don't understand how auto updates are supposed to work with instant on. Just launched netflix and it prompted me for an update.

On top of that "xbox on" seems to work maybe 50% of the time for me. What are they doing with all that standby power?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It downloads the update but only installs it when you go to play the game/app.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Laserface posted:

It downloads the update but only installs it when you go to play the game/app.

Hm in a world where my pc or mac usually can wake up by itself, auto install patches and then go to sleep later, this behavior is a little bit lacking.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I agree its a little half assed but its certainly better than attempting to play the game and getting faced with a download.

I would expect this to change in the future.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Sunset Overdrive looks like Dead Rising with Infamous' traversal mechanics. I am okay with this. More excited to play it now. That video released doesn't mention anything about multiplayer, right? Was hoping that was a part of the game.

Also hope that there's more variety to the common enemy type than at first glance. They all seemed like the same pink mutated mass to me, despite the video saying there were loads of enemy types.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Soul Glo posted:

That video released doesn't mention anything about multiplayer, right? Was hoping that was a part of the game.

There's a multiplayer with "Unique Things" but no co-op for the campaign.

Some guy at Reddit put this together: http://xboxclips.com/
You can view clips recorded by gamertag (even if they are not published)

VincesUndies fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 9, 2014

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

VincesUndies posted:

That sites pretty cool, all clips are completely uncompressed too. So I guess every clip gets uploaded as soon as you say record that then, no need for upload studio.

Sunset overdrive looks amazing, wasn't even interested in it till I saw that game play. I know there's going to be some cool guns and they mentioned over 50 distinct amps (which look like powers from Infamous), curious to see what wacky stuff they come up with.

There's another video out for super time force which comes out next week. Single player co-op sounds good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeNMko0N44

Here's the other video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqcdqgLLZ0

I'm pretty sure i'll be buying it.

MrBond posted:

On top of that "xbox on" seems to work maybe 50% of the time for me. What are they doing with all that standby power?

You need to say it as two distinct words and emphasize 'on'. They're still fine tuning it for the next update I believe.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crafty posted:

You need to say it as two distinct words and emphasize 'on'. They're still fine tuning it for the next update I believe.

They are indeed and are finally adding an adaptive learning protocol users can opt into to improve it for the future.

It recognizing me while I sing to it and the misses can't turn it on with 3 or 4 attempts has been a growing source of friction. Joke will be on me come September and Mandarin becomes a language you can set the system to.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

VincesUndies posted:

So am I misinterpreting something here or is this a privacy minefield? Nevermind the network saturation and data cap problems.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That reddit website is cool as gently caress. Privacy concerns? Like people seeing you teabag in titanfall?

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

So am I misinterpreting something here or is this a privacy minefield? Nevermind the network saturation and data cap problems.

It lets you view the last 16 videos recorded by someone's XBox One if you know their gamertag. A feature that is aready available already to the XBox One and Smartglass.

But don't let that stop you from trying to start a thing about it.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That reddit website is cool as gently caress. Privacy concerns? Like people seeing you teabag in titanfall?

I forwarded your teabag video to the FBI!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

There is a privacy option to disable public clip sharing. I don't remember if it's opt in or opt out. How is a network saturation and data cap issue? They're not coming from the person's console.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 9, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm a double poster :(

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Leave the console warrioring to the side, it's a serious question.

Chasiubao posted:

There is a privacy option to disable public clip sharing. I don't remember if it's opt in or opt out.
See that's all I'm curious about : whether users are sufficiently informed of the problems with such a system. Thanks for the information.
e:

Chasiubao posted:

How is a network saturation and data cap issue? They're not coming from the person's console.
The user has to initially upload it. If they're on a lousy connection and have a 20GB/month cap and, say, Peggle 2 is automatically recording and uploading clips in the background they'll hit that cap rather quick. Network saturation issue is it uploading them in the background and degrading the network for other users while this action might not be directly surfaced and obvious to the average user.

I'm not suggesting it's streaming the content from the boxes directly, that'd be absurd.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 9, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

See that's all I'm curious about : whether users are sufficiently informed of the problems with such a system. Thanks for the information.

As I said, while I don't know what the default is, the set up is:

See your game clips - Decide who can see the game clips you make.

Options: Everyone, Friends, Block.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

As I said, while I don't know what the default is, the set up is:

See your game clips - Decide who can see the game clips you make.

Options: Everyone, Friends, Block.
That's strange, I presume you have a choice in not uploading everything by default. For clarity, is the block option per-person-block or does it mean videos are only viewable by yourself? If it's set to block does it still upload the videos?

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Chasiubao posted:

There is a privacy option to disable public clip sharing. I don't remember if it's opt in or opt out. How is a network saturation and data cap issue? They're not coming from the person's console.

Yeah mine must be disabled because I can't find any of my clips on that site. That's sweet though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The user has to initially upload it. If they're on a lousy connection and have a 20GB/month cap and, say, Peggle 2 is automatically recording and uploading clips in the background they'll hit that cap rather quick. Network saturation issue is it uploading them in the background and degrading the network for other users while this action might not be directly surfaced and obvious to the average user.

I'm not suggesting it's streaming the content from the boxes directly, that'd be absurd.
But that's an issue with the Xbone itself, not that site since it's just grabbing the data from Xbox.com. Or am I completely missing your point?

I assume you can disable uploading of clips if you have a data cap through the Xbone but maybe not.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

That's strange, I presume you have a choice in not uploading everything by default. For clarity, is the block option per-person-block or does it mean videos are only viewable by yourself? If it's set to block does it still upload the videos?

I'm fairly certain it's for everyone. I don't think you can block per person.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

A c E posted:

But that's an issue with the Xbone itself, not that site since it's just grabbing the data from Xbox.com. Or am I completely missing your point?
Yeah my main point was whether people were aware of the uploaded clips - that weren't marked published - being viewable anyway. Normally in a scenario like this you'd expect unpublished videos to be private. It complicates the previously discussed automatic clip-recording feature when it's set to automatically upload.

I'm curious how much of this information is explained to the user, and what the default options are.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Privacy concerns nothing this is gonna be incredible when Halo comes out and there's hours upon hours of players ogling Cortana and uploading it without knowing.

It'd be pretty hosed up if it took Kinect's video feed during the clip but as it is it's pretty tame.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

Oh, and that Halo 5 thing was clearly inserted to get people whispering about it. That map and gametype are from Halo 4, and while I wouldn't be too surprised to see Infinity Slayer show up again, Haven is strictly out. Even if they were to include it, it would be renamed ala Zanzibar -> Last Resort.

I could see a Haven like map coming back, it was simple enough in layout that new people could kind of jump right into it and kinda have a grasp on map location callouts. What we dont need is another Blood Gulch rehash. Active Camo snipers on Valhalla were such a pain in the rear end.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That map was the quintessential Halo map, though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Yeah my main point was whether people were aware of the uploaded clips - that weren't marked published - being viewable anyway. Normally in a scenario like this you'd expect unpublished videos to be private. It complicates the previously discussed automatic clip-recording feature when it's set to automatically upload.

I'm curious how much of this information is explained to the user, and what the default options are.

Yes, they are explained to the user. There's default profiles of settings "child", "teen", "adult" and all of the settings for each of those profiles are explained when you select them. These profiles are selected per user, and each of the profiles can be customized when selected.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 9, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

BabyMauler posted:

I could see a Haven like map coming back, it was simple enough in layout that new people could kind of jump right into it and kinda have a grasp on map location callouts. What we dont need is another Blood Gulch rehash. Active Camo snipers on Valhalla were such a pain in the rear end.

Haven was really popular and I'd not be surprised to see it back, but my point was that if that happens, it wouldn't be called Haven. Which I'm really only pointing out to prove that it was an intentional tease tossed in to the video and not some accidental reveal.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It's pretty well known and often complained about. Not for privacy reasons but because Battlefield/Fifa/Peggle constantly record and upload pointless clips.

It is also a useful feature though. Playing Titanfall with friends and they record a clip, at the end of the night I can click on their profile and see what they were talking about without having to wait for them to edit and upload something.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
Last night I noticed my xbox was running. The light on the xbox and kinect were off but the fan was on and the console was warm. Is this some kind of update while off thing, random bug or Microsoft trying to find out what color underwear I was wearing?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

FSMC posted:

Last night I noticed my xbox was running. The light on the xbox and kinect were off but the fan was on and the console was warm. Is this some kind of update while off thing, random bug or Microsoft trying to find out what color underwear I was wearing?

Probably an update-while-off thing.

Although I'd laugh if Microsoft really wanted to know the colour of your undies.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bobtista posted:

I'm thinking in an ideal world for xbone. Its within the realms of possibility that since it seems the PS4 hardware is much more straightforward to work it could be argued there's less headroom for working out new tricks because its the same x86 platform people have been working on for years. It'll still beat the xbone hands down but they could do something neat with the ESRAM to close a little bit of the gap, maybe.

Of course it could just turn out they can't do poo poo with it and the gap gets even wider as PS4 development gets easier and easier and the ESRAM bottleneck leaves the xbone crippled. Time will tell :v:

The ps3 got better because devs worked out how to get the most out of the CPU. The only thing devs have to struggle with on xbone is really the ESRAM (and the slower RAM in general but let's not complicate things) and no matter what they do with the ESRAM its not going to compensate fully for having slower *every other component here*.

Both consoles will see graphical improvement but the xbone will never reach parity. In an ideal world the gap will get smaller and that's the best Microsoft can hope for short of Sony loving something up so badly that people abandon the PS4 as a platform.

From a few pages back, but this is incorrect in two ways. Just because it's an x86 platform is irrelevant to optimisations, it's all about having a set hardware configuration you can optimise to. See: OG xbox, an x86 machine running near off the shelf parts which ran games like doom 3 at the end of its life despite being almost 1/4 of the minimum pc spec in raw power terms. Also the eSRAM is not an unknown. The 360 had the same setup, as did the gamecube, the wii, the wii u, iphones etc. There is nothing extra to unlock in an embedded cache.

edit: The main sticking point this gen is that the xbone gpu is less powerful in basic grunt, lacks GPGPU optimisations and is itself a bottleneck for 1080p resolutions due to it's lack of ROPs (16 to the ps4s 32).

Taking second son as an example it implements GPGPU to render upto 168,000 particles per frame and has an 80mb frame buffer. It would be extremely difficult if not literally impossible to get the same effects on the xbone hardware running at the same detail level/resolution/frame rate even with all the optimisations available at the end of this generation.

Stux fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 12, 2014

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

quote:

According to "multiple sources within Microsoft", Ars Technica is reporting that Microsoft is set to ditch its long-standing strategy of making users pay for Xbox Live Gold to access services like Netflix and Hulu Plus. Services users already pay for anyway.

http://kotaku.com/report-xbox-will-stop-charging-you-to-watch-netflix-h-1575399746

I'm sure most of you pay for Live anyway

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'll keep paying. I wonder what will get shifted behind the paywall though.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
So I turned on my Xbox, TV and Cable box turn on in the correct sequence as always. But than I assume the kinect turned off just my TV just as I launched Titanfall. Both remotes were on my bed away from anything that could hit a button. It really weirded me out.

And they will probably try to match Sony feature for feature from here out as to what is and is not behind the paywall is what I should have said.

BabyMauler fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 13, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BabyMauler posted:

Multiplayer just like Sony.

That was already back there.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well this was unexpected this morning, wonder what we'll hear about at E3:

quote:

First, beginning on June 9th, in all markets where Xbox One is sold, we will offer Xbox One starting at $399*. This is a new console option that does not include Kinect. For $399, our new Xbox One offering will continue to deliver access to the best blockbuster games like “Titanfall,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” and the upcoming “Watch Dogs,” “Destiny” and "Sunset Overdrive." You will also be able to access popular entertainment apps, such as Twitch, YouTube, and Netflix, as well as watch live TV and use OneGuide. Finally, you will continue to be able to use many of the unique features of Xbox One including the ability to get game invites while you watch TV, switch between games and entertainment apps, enjoy Twitch broadcasts, and upload your favorite gaming moments.

Next, we’re bringing more value to Xbox Live Gold members and offering all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners access to entertainment apps whether or not you have an Xbox Live Gold membership. In early June, here is what you can expect from the new generation of Xbox Live:

•Free games with Games with Gold**. Since Games with Gold launched on Xbox 360 a year ago, over 12 million people have enjoyed great free games, resulting in nearly 200 million hours of free fun playing Games with Gold titles. We’ve been learning from your feedback and have focused on making improvements each month to the selection of titles. To celebrate the one-year anniversary of Games with Gold for Xbox 360 and as a thank you for helping shape this program, members will receive an additional free Xbox 360 game in June. The Games with Gold titles for Xbox 360 in June are “Dark Souls,” “Charlie Murder” and a bonus game of “Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.” We’re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.” A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.

•Exclusive Discounts. Deals with Gold will also launch for Xbox One in June, delivering discounts for great games each month, with significant savings for Xbox Live Gold members. The first titles offered in June will include “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” and a few other surprises. In the coming months, we will offer significant savings of up to 50 – 75 percent off certain titles. This program will continue to be available for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360. And new on Xbox One, we will launch a virtual VIP room exclusive to Xbox Live Gold members where we will feature free games, monthly deals, and other great benefits.

•Popular entertainment apps will be available for all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners. Xbox 360 has been a leader in delivering entertainment experiences for years, with over 170 global entertainment apps and experiences available today. We’re constantly adding new partners and experiences to the growing catalog on Xbox One. Coming in June, anyone with an Xbox will be able to access popular entertainment experiences – whether or not you have an Xbox Live Gold membership. This includes great gaming apps like Machinima, Twitch and Upload, popular video services like Netflix, Univision Deportes, GoPro, Red Bull TV and HBO GO, sports experiences like the NFL app for Xbox One, MLB.TV, NBA Game Time, NHL Game Center and more.*** Microsoft experiences including Internet Explorer, Skype, OneDrive and OneGuide will also be available to all Xbox customers.**** You can find a full list of apps and features that will be available below.

We’ve heard that you want more choices from Xbox One. You want a wide variety of options in your games and entertainment experiences and you also want options in your hardware selection.

To be clear, as we introduce this new Xbox One console option, Kinect remains an important part of our vision. Many of you are using Kinect for Xbox One every day. In fact, more than 80 percent of you are actively using Kinect, with an average of 120 voice commands per month on each console. Some of the most popular voice commands include “Xbox On,” “Xbox Broadcast” and “Xbox Record That.” We will continue to offer a premium Xbox One with Kinect bundle to deliver voice and gesture controls, biometric sign-in, instant personalization, instant scanning of QR codes, and enhanced features only available with Kinect in games such as “Kinect Sports Rivals,” “Just Dance 2014,” “Project Spark” and more.

If you buy Xbox One for $399 and later decide you want to have all the experiences Kinect enables, we will also offer a standalone sensor for Xbox One later this fall. We’ll share more details about the standalone Kinect for Xbox One in the coming months.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

PS TABLE BREAKING IMAGE:

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 13, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Wow, they really are making moves now that they're willing to leave behind the Kinect. I wonder if they'll sell the Kinect separately for $100 or make it 129.99 to entice people to save some cash and buy the full 499 version. Nice that they're bringing out the free games for Xbox One.

I'm really looking forward to E3 now. I was already certain that they would be bringing some big game news to help alleviate the sales disparity between them and Sony, but if they're already swinging this big a month out, E3 might get nuts.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Maneki Neko posted:

Well this was unexpected this morning, wonder what we'll hear about at E3:
If I had to guess, they're trying to avoid repeating the mistakes of last year, when they spent all of E3 and post-E3 talking about policy stuff like this. I bet they're dumping all this stuff out well in advance, so that when E3 comes around they can focus purely on content offerings (which may or may not include games, tv, sports, tv, and tv made for xbox).

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Wow. I really thought they were going to wait until E3 to announce all that. Show off new games, removal of Gold for media apps, Games with Gold on XB1, and then finish with a price cut. I also really didn't think they were going to remove the Kinect. I knew they would offer a price cut, but I thought they would take the hit rather then removing it.

The price cut is effective June 9th, I wonder if the paywall removal leak forced them to release this info early?

A number of websites also had more Sunset Overdrive coverage today with new gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDoRz_cfSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gucrIzMEmrE
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/05/13/see-more-sunset-overdrive-frenzied-gameplay-in-action.aspx

And Plants vs Zombies is 25% off this week.

edit: Didn't see this at first

quote:

**Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded. Must download titles during designated window. Kinect and/or hard drive required for some games.

Doesn't really bother me, but it does make it worse value compared to 360. Hopefully now they can offer better quality games.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 13, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

These are good changes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm kind of bummed about the Kinectless SKU this early since the Kinect has been one of the two core reasons why this has been so popular in our household. That said its a rather impressive commitment to minimizing losses on console hardware by Microsoft and definitely a strong signal indicating a change in direction.

This whole thing is good because it indicates that even if they're inheriting a somewhat hosed-up console the gaming division has the leeway to try and make it competitive via the same sort of things the PS3 did. Hopeful E3 shows off some other neat stuff though because Sunset Overdrive looks like hot garbage and if that was my only E3 game I'd be embarrassed.

Not Ubisofts breath-control based gameplay embarrassed but still.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Barudak posted:

I'm kind of bummed about the Kinectless SKU this early since the Kinect has been one of the two core reasons why this has been so popular in our household.

They're not taking away your Kinect. All this means for people that already have an Xbox One is that eventually Kinect will be just slightly less irrelevant and casually despised as it was during the 360's tenure.

I wonder if this means an SKU with a different UI. That's probably too much work, but it would be the 'smart' thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, I'm sure the kinectless sku is a bummer for anyone currently working on a Kinect game.

• Locked thread