Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

I'm still not sure how inaccurate that one actually was, but I always thought that suited things just fine in the story. The Master is an egotistical rear end in a top hat, the Simm Master especially. He wouldn't give a poo poo about how things actually work in politics, he'd run on an entirely self-centric platform.

I got the impression that he'd convinced various prominent individuals from the main parties to jump ship to his nebulous, seemingly policy-less party through sheer force of character and/or I AM THE MASTER AND YOU WILL OBEY ME type things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

I'm still not sure how inaccurate that one actually was, but I always thought that suited things just fine in the story. The Master is an egotistical rear end in a top hat, the Simm Master especially. He wouldn't give a poo poo about how things actually work in politics, he'd run on an entirely self-centric platform.

Oh, sure, obviously it was all about the dramatic stakes. I was bothered by it at the time because I was a snobbish A-level politics student (this was back when I had actual political opinions and enjoyed The West Wing) and it wouldn't have been an issue if there'd been an off-hand comment about Harry Saxon leading a new party.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Metal Loaf posted:

and it wouldn't have been an issue if there'd been an off-hand comment about Harry Saxon leading a new party.

But there was exactly that sort of comment from the Master, right before he gassed them all.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The signs said "Vote Saxon" because he founded the Saxon Party. :colbert:

Also, Benjamin Franklin was President...of the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Squizzle posted:

The signs said "Vote Saxon" because he founded the Saxon Party. :colbert:

"Excuse me sir, what is your policy re: immigration?"
"I shot a giant cobweb space-ship out of the sky with a tank."
"I see, and what about home mortgages?"
"I protected many homes when I shot a giant cobweb space-ship out of the sky with a tank."
"Well then what about the Arts?"
"The photo of me shooting a giant cobweb space-ship out of the sky with a tank won a prize!"
"I see, any final remarks?"
"Yes, I'd like to request I get to look directly into the camera and swing a fobwatch while talking in a low voice to your listeners while you dramatically lower the lights please."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Does no one else remember the massive plot point that Saxon got elected not because of his policies but because the Arc Angel network had brainwashed everyone into doing so?

It at least made more sense and had more of a set-up than that dumb poo poo with the Silence and the Computer Church as far as villain backstories go and it had the benefit of actually being shown on screen rather than explained away in dialogue from Sexy Strong Submissive Slut #34.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

"I see, any final remarks?"
"Yes, I'd like to request I get to look directly into the camera and swing a fobwatch while talking in a low voice to your listeners while you dramatically lower the lights please."

It nearly worked for the Demon Headmaster!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, he was using the Arc Angel network. It bothered me then; it doesn't now. "President-elect" Winters was still a bit clumsy.

Actually, here's something else that occurs to me regarding that story; I really wish RTD could have kept the line where the Master tells the Doctor he should be thanking him for getting Harriet Jones out of the way and making his job much easier.

I believe he cut it because it would've been "too cruel", but I think he made a mistake.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Metal Loaf posted:

I believe he cut it because it would've been "too cruel", but I think he made a mistake.

Yeah, I wish he had kept this in as well. If he'd kept all of the things like that in then the Doctor's arc would've been evident enough that we wouldn't be debating whether it was a mistake or not.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wish me luck - about to watch The Talons of Weng-Chiang for the first time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CobiWann posted:

Wish me luck - about to watch The Talons of Weng-Chiang for the first time.

Good luck watching one of the best Doctor Who serials.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shame about the racism.

But, what can ya do. Oh 70s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you can cope with the racism in "Tomb of the Cybermen" you can probably cope with the racism in "Talons".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Does no one else remember the massive plot point that Saxon got elected not because of his policies but because the Arc Angel network had brainwashed everyone into doing so?

I remember that, it was one of the examples of RTD actually being somewhat subtle and resisting his natural urge to over-explain things. So it was pretty sad that this subtlety was used as the set-up for one of the most hamfisted and crude Jesus metaphors I've ever seen in a television program :smith:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't know if they ever made a statement but the anti-time plotline was certainly a convenient "out" for that screwup, huh?

I do know that thinking Franklin was a president is a pretty common misconception outside of the US, judging (not exclusively) from the last time this thread had this conversation.

It's deliberately stated in Neverland, I believe, when Romana and Vansell are explaining the anti-time breach and its effects to the Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cool picture of the TARDIS, but how come it's out of shot? What's so important about an empty room?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Maybe its supposed to be a desktop background, with an empty space for your icons.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gaz-L posted:

Cool picture of the TARDIS, but how come it's out of shot? What's so important about an empty room?

I have no idea.

e: ||||/ ||

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I don't know, but I just shot a hole in my monitor for some reason. :mad:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Today I finished Paper Cuts and boy was it great!

I have to admit it sounded like a snoozefest when I read the description...the Draconians are cool I guess, but they are just kinda there. And it sounded like the Doctor would be involved in some boring court intrigue or something.

I should have known better and expected more from recent era Big Finish because they brought it once again! It was a really great, atmospheric story. Intrigue, drama, body horror, and cool characters. Just a solid, compelling story that was far more than I anticipated. Another win. My only gripe is I think India Fisher could have done a bit better playing the crazy girl who possessed Charlie. There was basically no difference personalitywise, and pre-possession the girl reminded me of

and afterwards she's like 1:1 Charlie. I get there was an in universe reason why but I think they could have done a bit more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It occurs to me with all the Moffat discussion that there's probably one thing we can agree on: he invents a good creepy villain, even if he does typically overuse them later and if he's married to the nursery rhyme thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It occurs to me with all the Moffat discussion that there's probably one thing we can agree on: he invents a good creepy villain, even if he does typically overuse them later and if he's married to the nursery rhyme thing.

I'm still a little disappointed that they threw away such a neat design as The Vigil on The Rings of Akhaten. I love the story to bits but The Vigil are almost entirely incidental to the storyline and could have been left out/replaced by standard "monks" and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Maybe they had to get back to Tattooine and couldn't stick around long enough to be in their own story :smith:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still a little disappointed that they threw away such a neat design as The Vigil on The Rings of Akhaten. I love the story to bits but The Vigil are almost entirely incidental to the storyline and could have been left out/replaced by standard "monks" and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Maybe they had to get back to Tattooine and couldn't stick around long enough to be in their own story :smith:

See also Claw, Tooth and.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

For those who care, Gracepoint trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IWvbbZPZc

Umm, what's up with Tennants accent? He faked a good english one, but this sounds very forced.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Attitude Indicator posted:

For those who care, Gracepoint trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IWvbbZPZc

Umm, what's up with Tennants accent? He faked a good english one, but this sounds very forced.

Not everyone can be Hugh Laurie and fake a really good American accent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

His hair just gets stupider and stupider

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is he still doing American Broadchurch?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

His hair just gets stupider and stupider

Fun story: Over on PSP before an episode of Smackdown, SyFy had the remake of Fright Night on. I was lambasting the movie for being cheap and casting a terrible ersatz David Tennant in the role of the Irish vampire hunter.

I found out a day later it actually was David Tennant.

Yup.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

That is American Broadchurch.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chokes McGee posted:

Fun story: Over on PSP before an episode of Smackdown, SyFy had the remake of Fright Night on. I was lambasting the movie for being cheap and casting a terrible ersatz David Tennant in the role of the Irish vampire hunter.

I found out a day later it actually was David Tennant.

Yup.

Hey, I ENJOYED that movie!

Seriously, David Tennant as a cheap David Blaine knockoff? You could tell he was having a blast with the part.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tennant has never had a good American accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4cqRsvu9t0.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Broadchurch to death but this looks awful. Maybe it's because I'm so familiar with the original, but it looks like basically a shot for shot remake which just causes this weird sense of things just being not-quite-right. Tennant's accent isn't THAT bad but I'm so used to either his actual accent or his fake English one that hearing the American version just adds to the sense of,"Something isn't quite right here."

It probably isn't helped by the fact that the small seaside town setting worked really well for England but seems quite out of place for America, at least in my mind.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Aye, I'm shocked at how identical this remake looks. Just, why? At least House of Cards had a notably different tone, and had to be adjusted for the political differences, but it seems the only difference between this and Broadchurch is the accents. They've even cast the actors to look similar, it seems.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It is Fox, aka the "let's go to the well one too many times" network.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
It sort of looks like a parody of Broadchurch.

I'm not American, but I thought his accent was actually pretty good.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

It probably isn't helped by the fact that the small seaside town setting worked really well for England but seems quite out of place for America, at least in my mind.

Not at all, actually. It's pretty evocative of some places I've in New England, particularly in Maine, at least to me.

I also loved Broadchurch, and this really does look like a direct remake. I'll give it a shot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yep, and he's still doing the British Broadchurch. :psyduck:

Watching that trailer is weird. He just...looks like DI Hardy...but doesn't sound like him. It's offputting. I was sort of hoping he'd put some sort of different spin on the role, but it seems like he's doing it 1:1.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

Yep, and he's still doing the British Broadchurch. :psyduck:

Watching that trailer is weird. He just...looks like DI Hardy...but doesn't sound like him. It's offputting. I was sort of hoping he'd put some sort of different spin on the role, but it seems like he's doing it 1:1.

It's actually going to be a take on "The Parent Trap". They're twins, one raised by an American, the other, a Briton. Just wait until the episode where they meet up!

Not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No no no, it all ties into Orphan Black. Obviously.

• Locked thread