Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wouldn't Ordo Malleus be more prone to that than Ordo Xenos? Forgive my limited knowledge of the setting, but if I recall correctly most aliens (notable exception: Tyranids) are more prone to applying a Voorhees Transform* on you than hollowing out your mind.

*Like a Laplace Transform, but in this case it converts a person to a collection of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Let's just say there's a lot of aliens in 40K's expanded stuff who like to nestle in your mind-space and meat-space in their own fun little way.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Just because they aren't part of the main factions, doesn't mean they wont gently caress you up. The 40k universe sucks.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Case in point, Hruds. gently caress those guys

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Let's just say there's a lot of aliens in 40K's expanded stuff who like to nestle in your mind-space and meat-space in their own fun little way.

Yeah, but at least you'll merely lose your life, instead of having your soul used as Slaanesh's dildo. Compared to Malleus and Hereticus, Xenos Inquisitors are comparatively safe (unless you're dealing with Dark Eldar).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CommissarMega posted:

Xenos Inquisitors are comparatively safe (unless you're dealing with Dark Eldar).

Then they are Slannash's dildo anyway, since Dark Eldar use their slaves as substitutes to feed Slannash in their place.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, but at least you'll merely lose your life, instead of having your soul used as Slaanesh's dildo. Compared to Malleus and Hereticus, Xenos Inquisitors are comparatively safe (unless you're dealing with Dark Eldar).

I find it endlessly amusing that we even use the term "comparatively safe" when comparing the things Inquisitors of different focuses deal with. Then again it's a moot argument at best cause we've already noted that a speciality doesn't necessarily mean an Inquisitor will not come across the primary foes of the other focuses.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

So I always kinda laughed in the opening cutscene where it's like the first suggestion to the Ork threat, I mean it's not even a full on WAAAGH! which... think about this situation right now, multiply it. That's typically how a WAAAGH! actually goes. But yes as you can see this situation is still manageable by the Space Marines and probably the Imp. Guard too.

"My lord the forge world seems to be suffering from an infestation of rats"
"EXTERMINATUS?"
"But sir I'm sure we could just..."
"EXTERMINATUS!"
"Sigh"

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 14, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

"EXTERMINATUS?"
"EXTERMINATUS!"
"Sigh"

Skaven aren't a joke, Kharn.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

"EXTERMINATUS?"
"EXTERMINATUS!"
"Sigh"

Well I assume they get a discount the more they use them.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CommissarMega posted:

Having read Mark of the Xenos and Koronus Bestiary (the Monster Supplements for Deathwatch and Rogue Trader, respectively) and feel this statement is debatable.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I find it endlessly amusing that we even use the term "comparatively safe" when comparing the things Inquisitors of different focuses deal with. Then again it's a moot argument at best cause we've already noted that a specialty doesn't necessarily mean an Inquisitor will not come across the primary foes of the other focuses.

True that. I'm just saying that, all things considered, an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor would mostly deal only with things that'll only take his life and leave his soul alone. As deaths go in the Imperium, it's not all that bad.

chiasaur11 posted:

Skaven aren't a joke, Kharn.

Of course they are! You're saying that like they actually exist :rolleyes:

SirPhoebos posted:

Having read Mark of the Xenos and Koronus Bestiary (the Monster Supplements for Deathwatch and Rogue Trader, respectively) and feel this statement is debatable.

I have those books too, and even the worst Yu'Vath artifacts just kill you horribly or steal your mind; I don't recall anything about souls being eaten.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 14, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CommissarMega posted:

True that. I'm just saying that, all things considered, an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor would mostly deal only with things that'll only take his life and leave his soul alone. As deaths go in the Imperium, it's not all that bad.

Wellll Chaos and Xenos have large amounts of intersection.
Land on a certain planet where the local fauna fancy themselves followers of Nurgle and you're in for some serious pain.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wellll Chaos and Xenos have large amounts of intersection.
Land on a certain planet where the local fauna fancy themselves followers of Nurgle and you're in for some serious pain.

Oh come now, they just want to give you hugs, horrible plague infested hugs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LemonRind posted:

Well I assume they get a discount the more they use them.
"Crazy Inquisitor Dave's Discount Exterminatus! For all your trouble planets! Orbital Bombardments, Virus Bombs and more! Infestation of the Xeno? Worried about psykers dragging a planet into the Warp? Do you think that guy that looked at you crossways might be a heretic? So many reasons to call Crazy Inquisitor Dave's Discount Exterminatus! Every 10th Exterminatus is free!"

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

JT Jag posted:

"Crazy Inquisitor Dave's Discount Exterminatus! For all your trouble planets! Orbital Bombardments, Virus Bombs and more! Infestation of the Xeno? Worried about psykers dragging a planet into the Warp? Do you think that guy that looked at you crossways might be a heretic? So many reasons to call Crazy Inquisitor Dave's Discount Exterminatus! Every 10th Exterminatus is free!"

Do all 10 Exterminati(?) have to take place in the same postal area for the offer to be valid? This is important!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ZoninSilver posted:

Do all 10 Exterminati(?) have to take place in the same postal area for the offer to be valid? This is important!
Crazy Inquistor Dave's Discount Exterminatus services anywhere within the Calixis Sector!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So what exactly does happen to unmangled souls? Given how awfully dominant Chaos seems in the spiritual things, what's 40K afterlife like as far as we know?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HGH posted:

So what exactly does happen to unmangled souls? Given how awfully dominant Chaos seems in the spiritual things, what's 40K afterlife like as far as we know?

They say those who believe in the Emperor fall under his protection. Those who don't, get eaten by chaos spirits in the warp.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Still, there's always the Halo Devices which can make you functionally immortal for a while before turning you into a bug-man that really wants to eat people's organs.

I looked up a little more info on the Halo devices, and all I can think about is that they seem remarkably like the Behelits from Berserk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HGH posted:

No observable non-Hell-based afterlives, other than technologically mediated ones (such as the eldar Infinity Circuits).

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Green Intern posted:

I looked up a little more info on the Halo devices, and all I can think about is that they seem remarkably like the Behelits from Berserk.

Maybe they are.

Maybe the God Hand are Daemon Princes.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I want to know just who let Drogyn perform his little experiments in a Titan Manufactorum? Did the Archmagos know about this? Why did nobody just shoot him and dump him, his toy and everything he'd ever touched into a lead box and drop it off on Titan?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cradok posted:

I want to know just who let Drogyn perform his little experiments in a Titan Manufactorum? Did the Archmagos know about this? Why did nobody just shoot him and dump him, his toy and everything he'd ever touched into a lead box and drop it off on Titan?

The logs explicitly mention that the techpriests have no idea the power source could explode.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cradok posted:

Yeah, calling a Manufactorum, any Manufactorum really, an acceptable risk to run your experiments, is enough of a leap. But a Titan Manufactorum? That's insanity on so many levels. A single active Titan wins a battle for a planet just by being there and changes a battle for an entire sector. Do your dumb heretical experiments somewhere else. Almost literally anywhere else, honestly.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, calling a Manufactorum, any Manufactorum really, an acceptable risk to run your experiments, is enough of a leap. But a Titan Manufactorum? That's insanity on so many levels. A single active Titan wins a battle for a planet just by being there and changes a battle for an entire sector. Do your dumb heretical experiments somewhere else. Almost literally anywhere else, honestly.

Cogboys have a nasty habit of being shortsighted when shown some shiny xenotech (which is what I'm assuming the device is).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's also really really hard to build Titan manufactorums. Like, super hard. I may think Titans are pretty silly, but taken in-setting that's a completely irreplaceable resource, irreplaceable enough to make Exterminatus off the table almost no matter what happens to the planet. Risking blowing it up is pretty drat stupid.

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
Drogan basically kicked in the front door, demanded a workspace, refused to tell anyone what he was doing and didn't consider any potential consequences of the amazingly insane thing he was doing. You know, the behavior of most Inquisitors who like science. But, Drogan's lack of foresight in handling a very volatile warp-based power source near a Titan Manufactorum is a whole new level of stupid and irresponsible.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

Cogboys have a nasty habit of being shortsighted when shown some shiny xenotech (which is what I'm assuming the device is).

Though even in extreme cases they (and, hell, most Inquisitors for that matter) tend to at least get the idea that doing high-risk research of such a nature should be done in a place where everything going horribly wrong won't cause disastrous collateral damage. Someone like Amberley Vail from the Cain books (who is also Ordo Xenos) would probably get a bitching fit if someone told her a fellow Inquisitor goofed as hard as Drogan did here.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It's also really really hard to build Titan manufactorums. Like, super hard. I may think Titans are pretty silly, but taken in-setting that's a completely irreplaceable resource

Each titan has to have it's machine-spirit installed, and each titan's machine-spirit is tiers above nearly every other "spirit" in the entire armory of the Imperial Guard, Marine Legion and so on outside of the Imperial Navy. We're talking artificial intelligence machine-spirits with egos and wills that clash, rival and eventually burn out legio priceps during their tenure as a titan's controller. Priceps do not survive as long because they have to mind-meld with the titan's machine-spirit in order to control and focus it's actions. This eventually leads to dementia and other mental ailments like megalomania and so on. Each machine-spirit is also unique, no two are alike. Adeptus Mechanicus does not do copy and paste in this regard.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Neflame posted:

whole new level of stupid and irresponsible.

Ding ding ding ding.
You have said that which drives the 40k universe.

Everything that can go wrong always goes worse.

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Everything that can go wrong always goes worse.

The only minor upside is that most of the time there is someone to blame. Whether or not that person is alive in the aftermath to be properly punished is a whole other story. What I'm saying is that everything that goes wrong on Graia is entirely Drogan's fault. Everything. I'm sure there's some way to blame him for the Ork invasion.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Neflame posted:

Drogan basically kicked in the front door, demanded a workspace, refused to tell anyone what he was doing and didn't consider any potential consequences of the amazingly insane thing he was doing. You know, the behavior of most Inquisitors who like science. But, Drogan's lack of foresight in handling a very volatile warp-based power source near a Titan Manufactorum is a whole new level of stupid and irresponsible.

The difference is that what some Inquisitor and some idiot Cogboys do in the lack of safety of their own home is up to them. What they do in an irreplacable facility is another thing. As said earlier, an Inquisitor has as much actual authority as they can manage to take, and the AdMech rarely feel themselves beholden to the authority of anyone. 'Give me a room and don't ask what I'm doing in it' will almost never go down well with the Mechanicus, let alone whomever must be in charge of Graia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And all of this is assuming Drogan isn't corrupted or possessed already. That power source uses warp energy, so I'm guessing that it will summon daemons and/or Chaos marines instead of saving the day.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Cythereal posted:

And all of this is assuming Drogan isn't corrupted or possessed already. That power source uses warp energy, so I'm guessing that it will summon daemons and/or Chaos marines instead of saving the day.

Well, given that he's not bleeding from his wound and we've started finding Servoskulls that explicitly state that they'd only unlock upon his death...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Well, given that he's not bleeding from his wound and we've started finding Servoskulls that explicitly state that they'd only unlock upon his death...

I kinda interpreted that as he's just hanging onto them until he dies. Presumably after his magic anti-alien halo death wave has killed every alien in the universe and he's king poo poo of the imperium.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 14, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I can understand the recklessness on one level; Drogan basically has a double doctorate on the Xenos threat compared to the elementary school level knowledge most citizens have. Being able to selectively butcher thousands of Orks while not annihilating humans in an area would be a total game changer, to the point where Orks would have to just avoid Imperium space altogether. That's huge.

This is counterbalanced, of course, by the fact that he's totally ignored that even if his device works, since it's pulling from the Warp it could pull out as many daemons as it kills orks. And there's no way to tell how that will work because Warp rifts are as varied as the places they exist. Drogan should know that, and he's ignoring it, because he's a lovely engineer.

Random blabber
Dec 14, 2013
Don't worry, if chaos does so up, the fact that they were summoned by Drogan ensures their inevitable failure, since the only thing that man can do is screw up.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008
Really surprised that nobody has gif'd that magnificent scoop-slam "Orkamania runnin' WILD on your spinal column!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Coolguye posted:

This is counterbalanced, of course, by the fact that he's totally ignored that even if his device works, since it's pulling from the Warp it could pull out as many daemons as it kills orks. And there's no way to tell how that will work because Warp rifts are as varied as the places they exist. Drogan should know that, and he's ignoring it, because he's a lovely engineer.

Can you even do engineering with warp things? Most explanations of warp happenings I've seen sound an awful lot like 'a wizard did it.'

• Locked thread