Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Peggle is literally the greatest test of skill that exists in our day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't care for Peggle. I don't hate it or whatever but after playing through Peggle Nights I wondered why I did it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Trails Frontier status: the developers seem to have just given up and now I'm just getting "craft X high level items" missions one after another with no more silly plot development.

What a dumb loving game.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jibo posted:

I don't care for Peggle. I don't hate it or whatever but after playing through Peggle Nights I wondered why I did it.

In the future, after The Fall, archaeologists will be searching through our remains, categorizing our population based on individual Peggle scores and you, my friend, must settle for a categorization as one of the have nots of the Peggle Age.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Zigmidge posted:

I buy anything that's 15$ on ios because chances are monumental it's an actually good game. Caveat: Stop buying SquareEnix games, idiots.

Hitman Go is way, way better than I thought a SquareEnix iOS game could be.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's a modern day Dungeon Raid game? I like how you can make long chains of plays as long as they're adjacent in any one way, don't really care for anything else beyond that.

Dungeon Raid hasn't been optimized for iPhone 5 yet which is really sad; that's a whole row of things to match. :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Trails Frontier status: the developers seem to have just given up and now I'm just getting "craft X high level items" missions one after another with no more silly plot development.

What a dumb loving game.

It's not even a good Trials game. Fusion is by far the better game, and is still a disappointing Trials game.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

What's a modern day Dungeon Raid game? I like how you can make long chains of plays as long as they're adjacent in any one way, don't really care for anything else beyond that.

Dungeon Raid hasn't been optimized for iPhone 5 yet which is really sad; that's a whole row of things to match. :(
Another Case Solved is Dungeon Raid, plus a story. It's pretty good!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Puzzle Craft, Another Case Solved (both by the same devs), and later tonight there will be another one, Darkin.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
This is all I knew of Peggle before biting the bullet on it and Nights on Steam, and I later got both on iOS. I have no regrets.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Will Peggle 2 ever hit iOS (or PS4?;) )

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Has anyone had the experience of playing kero blaster on the phone and the pc? I'm definitely going to pick it up and wouldn't mind the $3 discount but if it feels better on PC I'll go for that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

sleepwalkers posted:

It's not even a good Trials game. Fusion is by far the better game, and is still a disappointing Trials game.

Yeah I've heard it's decent but not up to par with Evolution which kinda bums me out.

I'm up to a level in Frontier called Lumber Yard that just requires me to scale a near vertical ramp with no run-up for momentum possible and I'm pretty sure the only want to get past it is to grind a whole bunch and massively upgrade the only Tier 3 bike I have. :vd:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I've heard it's decent but not up to par with Evolution which kinda bums me out.

I'm up to a level in Frontier called Lumber Yard that just requires me to scale a near vertical ramp with no run-up for momentum possible and I'm pretty sure the only want to get past it is to grind a whole bunch and massively upgrade the only Tier 3 bike I have. :vd:

I got bored with it early on, but then hearing some of the ridiculous turns the story took got me to try it out again. I stopped again when it turned into a never-ending grind against ghosts in tracks I've already played multiple times. It's weird for a game like that to make me want to get the game part out of the way to see what happens next.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pan Ache posted:

Has anyone had the experience of playing kero blaster on the phone and the pc? I'm definitely going to pick it up and wouldn't mind the $3 discount but if it feels better on PC I'll go for that.

I haven't played the iOS version but it's a pretty challenging platformer. I can't see it being that enjoyable on the phone with touch controls.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Yodzilla posted:

Personally I rage quit probably right before that, where you have to beat a ghost on a Tier 1 race and have a time literally faster than Platinum. I didn't even know Platinum was possible until this race.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

sleepwalkers posted:

I got bored with it early on, but then hearing some of the ridiculous turns the story took got me to try it out again. I stopped again when it turned into a never-ending grind against ghosts in tracks I've already played multiple times. It's weird for a game like that to make me want to get the game part out of the way to see what happens next.

This. The story stuff doesn't stack up to the fact that the only thing to do now is grind for level 4 items which means fusing 9 level 3 items which means fusing 27 level 2 items which means playing the same track over and over and spinning the wheel. And I'm also stuck on the ghost that demands better-than-plat times to beat.

gently caress this game.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

the chaos engine posted:

This. The story stuff doesn't stack up to the fact that the only thing to do now is grind for level 4 items which means fusing 9 level 3 items which means fusing 27 level 2 items which means playing the same track over and over and spinning the wheel. And I'm also stuck on the ghost that demands better-than-plat times to beat.

gently caress this game.

I don't like the 25 back and 25 front flips in one hour quests. Those kind of ruined it for me. :shobon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GNU Order posted:

Personally I rage quit probably right before that, where you have to beat a ghost on a Tier 1 race and have a time literally faster than Platinum. I didn't even know Platinum was possible until this race.

What the gently caress. There's platinum?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What the gently caress. There's platinum?
It tells you this and unlocks it around about the time you finish Tier 2. I was amazed.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah the Ghosts and ANBA killed my interest in the game. ANBA wouldn't be so bad if it didn't decide to take me to the same 3 difficult levels all the drat time. Why yes, let me race against someone who got gold in Frog Home again, I don't mind.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GNU Order posted:

I think I'm at that guy now, and I'm pretty sure I never want to play the game again. I normally don't give energy-based games a chance, but I gave this one a shot because it was alright to play in bed for 10 minutes before I ran out of energy and couldn't play anymore.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

tuyop posted:

I don't like the 25 back and 25 front flips in one hour quests. Those kind of ruined it for me. :shobon:

That one isn't so bad when you discover you can cheese certain courses by doing a flip and then backing down the ramp and doing it again in the same place. I did all 25 backflips in one run. It's the only way I passed some of the slot machine challenges.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I think I'm at that guy now, and I'm pretty sure I never want to play the game again. I normally don't give energy-based games a chance, but I gave this one a shot because it was alright to play in bed for 10 minutes before I ran out of energy and couldn't play anymore.

I stuck with it long enough to do the thing where you gold particular tracks in both Fusion and Frontier to unlock a costume. Having done that, I think I'm done with it. Grinding bikes isn't what I'm looking for in a Trials game, but if you *don't* grind bikes and upgrades, there are hard limits on your ability to compete with other players.

A shame really. I liked the structure of the game beyond that aspect, there are lots of tracks, and a lot of variety. The handling model is more like Trials HD's but that works well with touch control, and it runs really, really well (for me anyway).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Darkin is sweeeet. Anyone looking for a Dungeon Raid style fix really needs to pck this up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

tuyop posted:

Thankfully those seem to be completely optional. I didn't do them and they never showed up again so v:v:v

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Darkin is sweeeet. Anyone looking for a Dungeon Raid style fix really needs to pck this up.
...it looks like a complete clone, aside from the reskin. Did they add anything new?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In happy news, Monument Valley has been downloaded over 500,000 times and has made appx $2 million in sales.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lancelot posted:

...it looks like a complete clone, aside from the reskin. Did they add anything new?

Yeah, the metagame structure is a little different (instead of unlocking classes/abilities by killing bosses, you have a persistent XP meter for each class that goes up slightly whenever you make a match, making big matches or killing bosses increases it more) and there are some pretty clever/creative bosses and boss abilities (like some that can only be killed by matching hearts to them instead of the normal attack tile) -- it's more of the same in a lot of ways but the aesthetics are cool and crunchy and it's not as "Hot Topic" as I was worried it would be.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 15, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Two Bit Cowboy is super charming so far.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Yeah, the metagame structure is a little different (instead of unlocking classes/abilities by killing bosses, you have a persistent XP meter for each class that goes up slightly whenever you make a match, making big matches or killing bosses increases it more) and there are some pretty clever/creative bosses and boss abilities (like some that can only be killed by matching hearts to them instead of the normal attack tile) -- it's more of the same in a lot of ways but the aesthetics are cool and crunchy and it's not as "Hot Topic" as I was worried it would be.
The bit that annoys me the most is that the abilities are all single-use. A lot of the fun in Dungeon Raid was making different combos with your race/class traits and repeated uses of the abilities, this seems to play quite similarly from playthrough to playthrough.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Lancelot posted:

The bit that annoys me the most is that the abilities are all single-use. A lot of the fun in Dungeon Raid was making different combos with your race/class traits and repeated uses of the abilities, this seems to play quite similarly from playthrough to playthrough.

The flipside of this is that you aren't totally boned if you can't get your Treasure Door/Double Coin/whatever in time. I'm not totally sold on Darkin being "good" yet but I can see why they departed from Dungeon Raid's design in certain spots (no armor, quantifiable progress towards upgrades, etc). I agree with the complaint that every playthrough feels similar to the last though - interested to see if the new clans/skills mix things up at all.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Fable Age:

I swear I can stop any time I want to

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The Spatials

unlurked posted:

We are very sorry! I've submitted version 1.0.1 which fixes this and adds other small improvements and fixes, it should be out within five days.

Thanks! I'm on the last level now, doing little raids for parts and upgrades 'cause I keep getting pasted by robots.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Pan Ache posted:

I have it on the phone and it plays fine. Actually streamed it last night and made it a fair way through within an hour. I would prefer a gamepad with just about any game on earth, but it's still perfectly playable on the touch screen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

goferchan posted:

got a link? I'm just showing a bunch of crappy looking fantasy novels, some songs, and zero apps.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Uhhh search in the App Store from your device? I found it pretty easily...actually it was the only result.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/darkin/id794915875?mt=8

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Thomas Was Alone is now on iPad, for 9 dollars.

Go get it if you don't already have it via a Humble Bundle or Steam Sale.

http://appshopper.com/games/thomas-was-alone

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Towncraft review:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/towncraft/id667277335?mt=8

It's kind of a mix between Minecraft (chopping down trees, mining stones, fishing, farming, etc.) and small-scale economics simulator.

You are building a town in between two kingdoms along a road where people travel, so you can hire them, sell things to them, do quests for them (involving collecting/crafting something) while trying to make your economy work. You can hire farmers, lumberjacks, miners, shopkeepers, tavern operators, and milliners to help you move things along. The better your town looks, the higher rating it gets and the more/better travellers you have spending more in your town.

No time limits, no IAP, some very mild goals, and challenge-themed maps (desert, swamp, rivers, etc.) for those wanting a little more pushback.

One downside is you have to discover recipes for things in-game on your own, some of which aren't necessarily as intuitive as they may have thought they were. And there's 4-5 different crafting tables/ovens to work with, which can lead to some confusion. Though you can find these easily online in a wiki. I tried to avoid looking at it as much as possible, but eventually gave in. Though they keep between games on an in-game screen, so that's a plus.

Also, the economy needs a lot of oversight initially. You need to sell a lot of goods early on to make a profit, as you're pulling cheap customers from the travelers until your town rating improves, which means you need to do volume. The workers only help so much, as there currently aren't workers available to fetch water or do blacksmithing/cooking/brewing. There's a silver bullet solution to this, in the form of gold, which if you can find a source for basically lets you ignore the economy while you just sell gold on the main road. So while this all plays out pretty well logically, it requires a lot of patience on the player's part. I dig it, but some might not.

You also may get a slight Sorcerer's Apprentice vibe when you realize your worker has stockpiled enormous amounts of a single resource for you. But the economy part of the game with trading to travelers helps you transform it into finished goods if you want, avoiding processing the resource at a slight cost reduction.

I blundered through my first village, which was kind of good because after you finish a certain amount of gold-quests, you open up a new village to work on, where you can improve upon the mistakes you made in the first one.

Specs-wise, I'm playing this on a small screened iPhone 4, and it's running pretty well. There's not too much noticeably bad with the control schemes. Small pain is that if you exit out of the app, it saves your exact spot, but has to load the entire app again to get back into it. Background music is pretty chill.

I like it as much as I thought I would when I bought it, and it's making me almost look forward to an upcoming 14-hour plane ride.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Are the makers of Blek aware that the icon for their game looks like a butt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone playing/played that MMO Order and Chaos online? Search or browsing the MMO section doesn't yield anything. Just wondering if it will actually hold me after paying and it isn't a lovely generic quest x1000 with bad combat/controller with a retarded pay to win game with trust fund kids one shotting everything and everyone.

• Locked thread