Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

To them they are. Because, despite their arguments, the opposition to abortion isn't about " sanctity of life" but rather an attack against the sexual revolution and the idea that people are free to have sex and love the person they choose. It's about punishing and disapproving loose women just like the opposition to gay marriage is about punishing and disapproving homosexuals.

I hope they ride this train all the way though their meteoric fall because it not only highlights the bare animus that underlies the opposition to homosexuality, which is clear to almost everyone at this point, it highlights the bare animus that underlies their opposition to abortion, which is sadly not as clear to a lot of people any more.

I would be in absolute glee if the abortion debate in this country was shifted hard towards a goal of total unwanted-pregnancy reduction rather than quibbling about the number of times a woman sees a penis in her lifetime, and especially the number of desired times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It won't, because the abortion issue is driven by misogyny/obsession with traditional gender roles, and not the act of abortion itself.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Sex is only for babies, and only if you're married! Out-of-wedlock babies and single mothers/fathers are bad and married women never have abortions!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is just like a fine wine from Tony Perkins

Aw man. I was on board with the potato jokes until I found out the writer was an awful regressive dishonest shithead. :smith:

We need more potato jokes in politics these days. Come back, Dan Quayle! Come back!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like to imagine Idaho politics is just potato jokes and potato rhetoric 24/7, cause potatoes is mostly all i know about Idaho.

That and marriage equality :toot:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

We need more potato jokes in politics these days. Come back, Dan Quayle! Come back!

I bet you could whip something up about that Catholic priest who went to the ER because he was hanging curtains in the nude and fell sphincter first onto a greased potato.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Bad to good justices:

Alito (total shithead)
Scalia (mostly total shithead, and publically mean about it too)
Thomas (shithead, but consistent about it)
Roberts (shithead, but concerned about his "legacy")
Kennedy (shithead)
Breyer (major conflict of interest due to ownership of ice cream company?)
Kagan (could be worse)
Ginsburg (great, but she's being selfish w/r/t political realities of presidential appointments instead of retiring)
Sotomayor (:swoon:)
Please elaborate on Scalia not being as big a shithead as Alito. Not doubting you, just looking for specific examples.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Please elaborate on Scalia not being as big a shithead as Alito. Not doubting you, just looking for specific examples.
Scalia can be somewhat decent on 4A issues. Also from all accounts he and Sotomayor get along well, whereas Alito belonged to a group at their shared alma mater that was dedicated to keeping minorities out of the law school.

I hate to say it but the point goes to the lich.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

RZApublican posted:

Mods, please change my name to "counterfeit marriage".

Hold my marriage up to the light, and you'll see a founding father smiling back down on you. :911:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Scalia can be somewhat decent on 4A issues. Also from all accounts he and Sotomayor get along well, whereas Alito belonged to a group at their shared alma mater that was dedicated to keeping minorities out of the law school.

Plus he's got to get at least some credit from even vehemently anti-Scalia people for (accidentally) being the reason for all these overturned bans, which is more than can be said for Alito.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

alnilam posted:

I like to imagine Idaho politics is just potato jokes and potato rhetoric 24/7, cause potatoes is mostly all i know about Idaho.

Idaho politics are loving baffling. The 4 Republican candidates for governor (Butch Otter and some other people who have no chance ever) had a debate question about gay marriage, and Harley Brown was the voice of reason.
Harley Brown is known for zingers like this:

quote:

I want to severely restrict the Idaho Department of W-ealth and Hell-fare.

Brown also called helmet laws "vile" and supports a state militia that does not answer to the federal government, only to the governor (in this case, him).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

alnilam posted:

Imagine Utah, except the portion that doesn't have Salt Lake City hates the other portion so much that they put themselves into a different timezone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chokes McGee posted:

We need more potato jokes in politics these days.

cruft posted:

I bet you could whip something up

:haw:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Idiot Kicker posted:

Idaho politics are loving baffling. The 4 Republican candidates for governor (Butch Otter and some other people who have no chance ever) had a debate question about gay marriage, and Harley Brown was the voice of reason.
Harley Brown is known for zingers like this:

Brown also called helmet laws "vile" and supports a state militia that does not answer to the federal government, only to the governor (in this case, him).

Don't forget his reason for supporting SSM is that when he was a cab driver in Boise he discovered that gay people "love each other more than I love my motorcycle."

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

SubponticatePoster posted:

As a law student I genuinely liked reading his opinions because they were well-written and sometimes even entertaining, despite the almost invariably bad opinions.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

smilingfish posted:

As a law student I genuinely liked reading his opinions because they were well-written and sometimes even entertaining, despite the almost invariably bad opinions.

Yeah, he's a brilliant guy who can lay out his reasoning extremely clearly while also maintaining a distinct style and tone. I'd love to read a legal blog by him, in part because he's such an rear end in a top hat. I just wish he weren't on the goddamn SCOTUS.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
:siren:A CONCRETE, UNDENIABLE LINK BETWEEN HOMOSEXUALITY AND PEDOPHILIA HAS BEEN FOUND!:siren:

Matt Barber has given us all the proof we need that gays are boy-raping savages:

Wait, looks way too artifacty and photoshopped to be real... That would be because it is. It was photoshopped from a sign reading "Republicans for Obama". Right Wing Watch called Barber out on his bullshit, and pastor Jeff Allen came to his defense, saying it was an (WARNING:Link is to a hate-site)innocent mistake.

An obvious Photoshop being paraded around like it's proof that all gays are child raping monsters, totally a mistake! :thumbsup:

In Russian news, according to Matthew Schmidt Putin has been labeling anti-Russia protesters in Ukraine as "gay nazis":

quote:

The gay Nazis label was simultaneously an attempt to tie the new pro-Europe camp in Kiev to the hated German Third Reich while also taking advantage of the growing acceptance of gay marriage in the West, particularly in the United States. "Putin has said homosexuality is not our values, and that sense of tolerance of homosexuality is not part of Euroasia," said Schmidt, who will be in Ukraine monitoring the May 25 elections that are being overseen by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).

Euroasia is the name for the empire Schmidt believes Putin is trying to construct. Schmidt says Putin is driven by the goal of rebuilding a Euroasian empire with Moscow as its capital. Putin also has written extensively on the subject of Euroasia, which would generally follow the geography of the former Soviet Union. Bringing Ukraine into Moscow's camp would be crucial to seeing that dream come to reality. Russian media also have called the Maidan square, where protests led to the demise of former pro-Russian Ukraine President Viktor Yanukovych, the "Gayeuromaidan," thus tying together Europe and the gay rights movement, writes Yale history professor and author Timothy Snyder in The New York Review of Books.

The above-linked report notes that Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin tweeted this week that Conchita Wurst's win at Eurovision "showed supporters of European integration their European future - a bearded girl." That comment is apparently considered further evidence of Putin's campaign to tie Russia's expansion plans to anti-gay sentiment. Tell me, where have we heard that strategy before? :allears:

staticman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 15, 2014

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arkansas judge struck down all Arkansas state laws banning marriage equality.

quote:

A day after the state Supreme Court effectively halted gay marriages in the state, Pulaski County Circuit Judge Chris Piazza expanded his ruling striking down a constitutional ban to also include the prohibition on clerks issuing same-sex marriage licenses. Justices had ruled Wednesday that Piazza’s decision on the gay marriage ban did not change that license law.

Piazza also rejected a request to suspend his ruling, saying there’s no evidence the state would be harmed by allowing gay marriages to continue.

“The same cannot be said of the plaintiffs and other same-sex couples who have not been afforded the same measure of human dignity, respect and recognition by this state as their similarly situated, opposite sex counterparts,” Piazza wrote. “A stay would operate to further damage Arkansas families and deprive them of equal access to the rights associated with marriage status in this state.”

Attorney General Dustin McDaniel’s office said he would appeal and was asking the high court to suspend Piazza’s latest order. McDaniel, a Democrat, recently said he supports gay marriage but would continue defending the state’s ban in court.

“This order clarifies what we understood Judge Piazza had attempted to do last week, and it does not change our posture of seeking a stay from the Arkansas Supreme Court and pursuing an appeal,” McDaniel spokesman Aaron Sadler said.

Pulaski County, one of two counties that had been issuing licenses before the high court’s decision, said it planned to resume issuing licenses to same-sex couples immediately. The other, Washington County, was not issuing licenses Thursday.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sweeney Tom posted:

Arkansas judge struck down all Arkansas state laws banning marriage equality.

:psypop:

Utah (I know, but still), Idaho, Arkansas.

Is this one of those things where the more rigid the tree is, the easier it is to get knocked over by wind?

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
It can't be, because that means Mississippi and Louisiana would have had equality for forever. Maybe New Orleans keeps LA from being totally "straight."

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

cruft posted:

:psypop:

Utah (I know, but still), Idaho, Arkansas.

Is this one of those things where the more rigid the tree is, the easier it is to get knocked over by wind?

I think so yeah. In Oregon we've had one of those half-assed civil union things for years and we've acknowledged same sex marriages in other states as marriages for at least a year (resulting in a lot of couples going to Washington and California to get married). As a result it's taking longer to get it, although hopefully not too much longer. It seems like states with straight up bans and no civil union or reciprocity are getting knocked down faster.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't think the order of the remaining states has much to do with the rigidity of the bans. Nevada is behind Idaho because the case was decided before Windsor, not because domestic partnerships slowed things down. There are 29 constitutional amendments that have not been settled and only 3 come from states with something close to marriage.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
What is the current score then? I've been trying to keep tabs on it, but things are moving so quickly it's tough. Does anyone have the current count?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The short answer is 18 states and DC.

Marriage available: 18 - AR, CA, CT, DE, HI, IA, IL*, MA, MD, ME, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NY, RI, WA, VT
Marriage settled: 17 - Above minus AR
Out of state marriages recognized: 1 - OR

Wins stayed: 6 - ID, MI, OK, UT, TX, VA
Incomplete** wins stayed: 4 - IN, KY, OH, TN
Losses: 1 - NV***

*Not all counties until June 1st
**Mix of out of state recognition and plaintiff-specific rulings
***Before Windsor and meaningless

I'm not 100% sure on the list of rulings, but nobody's getting married so whatever.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Basically everyone except Montana and South Dakota either allow gay marriage or are being sued in court for not allowing it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AYC posted:

Basically everyone except Montana and South Dakota either allow gay marriage or are being sued in court for not allowing it.

Montana, South Dakota, and North Dakota. But a lawsuit's been worked on for weeks and is coming at some point in South Dakota.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AGirlWonder posted:

Maybe New Orleans keeps LA from being totally "straight."

Look, for the most part, gay marriage is banned. It's just every year or so, there's a big party going on, lots of drinking... things happen, y'know? That doesn't mean they like that kind of law on a regular basis!

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
The bigots are coming full circle! :unsmigghh:

Houston Pastor: Businesses Have The Right To Refuse Service To Jews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ZBaePAYx8

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Judge McShane is making his ruling in Oregon Monday.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
:stare: Jesus Christ did she not see that coming? "I don't think that's the issue."

Do people not understand the concept of civil rights? Don't answer that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Arkansas Supreme Court Stops Same-Sex Marriages During Appeal

There's not much beyond the headline other than this eye searing rainbow scarf. I hope it's real and not a color balance mistake.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

There's not much beyond the headline other than this eye searing rainbow scarf. I hope it's real and not a color balance mistake.

I wonder what the battery life on that scarf is like.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is... is it actually reflecting light back into his cheeks?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"Here we see the Rainbow Wizard granting a wish"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Liberty Counsel sees a GAY PANDEMIC if Michigan okays gay marriage

quote:

The Liberty Counsel yesterday filed a brief with the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in which they claim that Michigan must not allow same-sex marriage because it would somehow increase the incidence of STDs.

Not only is there no bodily good or function toward which two same-sex bodies can coordinate, but there are in fact inherent harms associated with same-sex unions. For example, homosexual males are at exponentially higher risk of developing a variety of sexually transmitted diseases, and have increased risks of developing various cancers and medical conditions because of the nature of same-sex sex. The personal, social and financial costs of these homosexual-specific health problems concern not just those who engage in homosexual activity, but also the larger community of citizens who help provide services and who must bear part of the burdens imposed by the health challenges. It would be rational for the voters of Michigan to seek to minimize the deleterious effects of these conditions on public health, safety and welfare by affirming that marriage in Michigan remains the union of one man and one woman.

https://www.liberty.edu/media/9980/attachments/051414-Brief-Amicus-Michigan-Marriage.pdf

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

quote:

not only is there no bodily good or function toward which two same-sex bodies can coordinate
I beg to differ :pervert:

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

You know, they easily could have made a stronger case here. A gay STD pandemic can easily start infecting straight people, and this is in fact exactly what happened with AIDS in the US. But this didn't occur to Liberty Counsel, because they didn't think about the existence of bisexuality.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I don't quite understand the 'Gays have STDs! That's why we want to stop them indulging in a ritual that promotes monogamy and committing to one person for life' :downs:

But I guess they can't just say 'Ewwww, gays are icky!' anymore.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Spalec posted:

I don't quite understand the 'Gays have STDs! That's why we want to stop them indulging in a ritual that promotes monogamy and committing to one person for life' :downs:

But I guess they can't just say 'Ewwww, gays are icky!' anymore.
This seems to fit into the standard Republican stance of "If we make activity X (which we think is bad) safer, more people will do X, thus we must make X more dangerous!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

twodot posted:

This seems to fit into the standard Republican stance of "If we make activity X (which we think is bad) safer, more people will do X, thus we must make X more dangerous!".
Unless it involves trans fats or drinking 68 quarts of soda in a single sitting. But I guess that's covered by the "we think it's bad" part.

• Locked thread