Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I can totally see how Jet Ion GP COULD have been a good game, but yes that lag is just indefensible. I wonder if there's a way to twiddle around with an emulator and play the game the way it was supposed to be? I wouldn't know, I'm not that smart.

Regarding Future Racer, you guys are wrong, the PS2 debuted in 2001. So this game was made at the tail end of the PS1's era, yet it has these graphics that I want to say look like they're MAYBE 32X level, if that. It just reeks of :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Giggs posted:

Everything about Jet Ion GP is obnoxious.

You mean Future Racer, right? Because the text is completely optional (I just showed it off because I like lore, I'm a deviant like that), and of the two, Future Racer is definitely the more obnoxious. It's just that god-damned lag, which, thankfully, only cropped up in the video twice. The controls when it isn't lagging (most of the video) are actually really responsive, and the tracks after the video ends are, even with the lag, breathtaking. I'm kinda sorry I picked the tutorial stage now, as it's sort of an unfair representation compared to the second and third tracks.

Choco1980 posted:

I can totally see how Jet Ion GP COULD have been a good game, but yes that lag is just indefensible. I wonder if there's a way to twiddle around with an emulator and play the game the way it was supposed to be? I wouldn't know, I'm not that smart.

Regarding Future Racer, you guys are wrong, the PS2 debuted in 2001. So this game was made at the tail end of the PS1's era, yet it has these graphics that I want to say look like they're MAYBE 32X level, if that. It just reeks of :effort:

The lag is, sadly, indefensible, and I'm almost certain there'd be a way to twiddle the framerate with an emulator, but it would just end up being more CPU intensive than normal, because the emulator's going to have just as much trouble processing instructions as the original PS2, which leads to higher CPU/RAM load. And this is why I spend a lot of the video being sad about Jet Ion GP's sole, yet crippling flaw.

And yeah, that's my core issue with Future Racer: It's blatantly from the late end of the PS2's dev cycle, yet it looks like something from an earlier generation, plays as slowly, in its own way, as JIGP, and has anime art and writing that I'd expect from a game 10 years its senior. It's a piss-poor effort in every way that counts.

Serperoth posted:

Between the orange Tang joke and the tunnel, I can't help but be reminded of Evangelion (the anime), and Between The Eyes (the Net Yaroze game). I'm pretty sure I don't want to ever see a combination of the two.

But Between The Eyes would DEFINITELY fit the "Future Racing Is Weird" moniker, being a super-weird game (as Net Yaroze games often were).

Having looked at Between the Eyes, it feels like a combination of a tech demo (which, from the "Written in twelve weeks" thing, it blatantly was) and those stereoscopic pics that were a major fad when I was in college). In its own way, it's magical, but you're right, a crossover of the two would melt both eyes and brain, and I'm not up to that!

Anyways, an update on the race videos, and videos in general: The absolute base editing is done, and, as I told Blanktester and Insetik last week, since it's past Wednesday, and I can't get the prettifying of the video I wanted to done, I'm going to be hosting the co-commentary next week, so if peeps could email me or PM me about when they're available, we can start sorting it out. I'm also ditching my original idea of doing the actual commentary for the race as if I were a commentator (something I have some experience with. :v: ), so it'll go race -> Highlights and postgame talk.

As to other videos, I had a sort of weird schedule due to a combination of RL and just being too goshdarned excited over my capture card, so the cheats video is done, bar the subtitling, the track skipping video requires only putting together (which I shall do soon), and so are the first two updates of Wipeout 3, and the first of Fusion. So I have some backlog to work with. I'd still like choco in on the cheats and track skipping videos if possible, we'll see how that goes (because I'm a terrible person and missed him the first time round). Although I do need to doublecheck with my copy of Wipeout what the actual button combo is for Animal Mode (as is usual for a slightly obscure cheat, no two sources agree on which L and R buttons are required, including people who really should know better.) That's pretty easy though.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 13, 2014

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

JamieTheD posted:

You mean Future Racer, right? Because the text is completely optional (I just showed it off because I like lore, I'm a deviant like that), and of the two, Future Racer is definitely the more obnoxious. It's just that god-damned lag, which, thankfully, only cropped up in the video twice. The controls when it isn't lagging (most of the video) are actually really responsive, and the tracks after the video ends are, even with the lag, breathtaking. I'm kinda sorry I picked the tutorial stage now, as it's sort of an unfair representation compared to the second and third tracks.

Future Racer certainly seems to be a much worse game. It's got bad anime storytelling and is poorly explained and looks boring. I should have used irritating or disappointing instead of obnoxious. That first track in JIGP illustrates a whole bunch of my problems with it. The particle effects, the blindingly sharp and unnecessarily opaque track-ribbon-guide thing, the colour choices. It feels like they put little effort into exploring their options and instead piled things on. It could have been much better.

There's a short gamespot interview from 2000 with the producer at Crave Entertainment here which sounds just kind of silly. They added more fireworks and "the frame rate is totally playable". Then they cancelled it for North America anyway.

Also, "Hresvelgr" is a way better name than Jet Ion GP. :colbert:

e: I'm probably just expecting more from things I shouldn't, to be honest.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 14, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

As to other videos, I had a sort of weird schedule due to a combination of RL and just being too goshdarned excited over my capture card, so the cheats video is done, bar the subtitling, the track skipping video requires only putting together (which I shall do soon), and so are the first two updates of Wipeout 3, and the first of Fusion. So I have some backlog to work with. I'd still like choco in on the cheats and track skipping videos if possible, we'll see how that goes (because I'm a terrible person and missed him the first time round). Although I do need to doublecheck with my copy of Wipeout what the actual button combo is for Animal Mode (as is usual for a slightly obscure cheat, no two sources agree on which L and R buttons are required, including people who really should know better.) That's pretty easy though.

Check your skype, I'm free most weekday evenings by Eastern Standard Time.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Crave? CRAVE ENTERTAINMENT?

Oh, drat it. Crave and Valcom seem to put out 90% of the complete poo poo that's hounding BOTH of our threads now.

But I don't know what I really think about Jet Ion GP. It looked kind of weird in the second level where the track turned vertical and you were still just... riding through it, I guess. But while the idea of having a track that you sort of ride in the 'vicinity' of is cool, that lag would be terrible since you don't have walls to stop your jet from going off without you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Future Racer certainly is weird.

And anime.

Jet Ion might have been nice on a machine that could handle it. Does it have powerups and weapons or is it just pure racing?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Future Racer certainly is weird.

And anime.

Jet Ion might have been nice on a machine that could handle it. Does it have powerups and weapons or is it just pure racing?

I kinda showed the fact that there are powerups and weapons, but only kinda. Essentially, you select them before the race, and you unlock certain special weapons once you've beaten portions of the game. The weapons are actually interesting because, as I mentioned, at least one of them is technically an illegal weapon, and can only be used in certain areas without cameras. But good lord, it fucks someone up when it's usable!

Anyways, real life and other stuff has been introducing delays, so I've decided I'm going to kick Wipeout 3 Special Edition off as soon as the videos are uploaded, and work on the other stuff over the next week. Wipeout 3 (or Wip3out) is a real treat in many ways, but is also going to be very video heavy. There's a lot of stuff to cover!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Timeline of the Wipeout Universe Part 3: Where the Fun Begins (F5000-F7200)

The events leading up to Wipeout 3 are, in a very real sense, critical ones. This is when the formation of the modern teams begins to happen, and events in-universe start moving toward an extremely divisive “Big Event”. You know the kind of thing. And it all begins with a hissy fit.

EDIT: I may not have gotten the birthdates of Fusion PCs in here, if any do fall in this area, I'll edit them in later.

Approx. 2100 [WO3]: Pierre Belmondo, sick of the rot that appears to be setting in to his favoured sport, resigns his Executive seat from the racing commission, and forms the Belmondo Foundation, an organisation designed to “enforce the purity of AG racing, and to promote the more utopian aspects of AG technology.” If you guessed that this organisation then takes a back-seat to 90% of the other goings on coming? You'd win an imaginary cookie.

2109 [WO3]: Icaras is founded by Burnston Burns, a wonderfully loony brit who forms the team, from the ground up, in under 7 months. They then completely fail to even finish most races, because the Icaras craft has two fatal flaws... It's too loving fast, and the shields are made of nice thoughts and starlight. It's not mentioned as such in the official timeline, but his death is bonkers. We'll talk about it this game, and it'll be mentioned again in the timeline for Fusion.

2113 [WO3]: Assegai Developments, a Pan-African Union corporation, is formed. Their first appearance, not to mention their nationalistic recruitment policy, raises quite a few eyebrows.

2115 [WO3]: Qirex, in an effort to sound less threatening, rename themselves Qirex Research and Development. They also paint their ship pink. Pink! Scary bastards! Meanwhile, Piranha, who had moved out of Brazil (To China) after the merger, move back in. They have funding problems, and so have to scale back their craft design... It was much too high maintennance, and half the components are now banned by the Commission.

2117 [WO3]: This is where Wipeout 3 begins. It is the first league (series progression wise, not chronology wise) to be set in a single location, Mega City. Despite it not being grimdark, overpopulated, and ruled by Judges, I can't help but mentally add a “One” on the end of that. I'm sure Studio Liverpool, being fellow brits, perfectly understand this.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Wip3out/Wipeout 3 Special Edition (Psygnosis, 1998)

And now we come to possibly the most accessible (sorta) Wip3out game of all, Wipeout 3. Although they are technically Sony Creative Enterprises Europe (Studio Liverpool) by this point, their third outing on the PS1 remains under the Psygnosis label, with the Designer's Republic still aiding in the visual design. Of the three, this is the most minimalistic in style, and y'know what? It works! Everything is clear, including the ship designs, and the handling had, up to this point, never been smoother. Wip3out does a lot with what the PS1 had, and we're going to show off what we can.

So, to differences! Unlike the first two games, the three non-pro speed classes (Vector, Venom, and Rapier) are available from the very beginning, so we'll be using Rapier to show off the individual tracks and craft unlocks. Oh, wait, did I forget to mention unlockables? Because there are several unlockables in the game, including a cheat for mirrored tracks, which would become a feature mainstay (albeit done ever-so-slightly differently!) from the next game onwards!

The game came in two flavours, normal edition, and a Europe/Japan only release of Special Edition, which has eight of the tracks from the first two games, rejigged and race ready once they're unlocked. I'll be playing the Special Edition, because it also has two “Prototype” tracks not available in any edition but this and the Japanese version. There will also be the obligatory GoonRace, this time with four (or more!) brackets (Classic added), so the competition has never been so hard! It also has some other differences, but I go into those as we progress.

Without further ado, let's RACE!

The Obligatory Intro

Wip3out League (Standard Tracks)

(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)

Classic League (Remake Tracks)

(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)
(Post)

Prototypes

When we get to 'em!

Info!
Timeline Part 3 (WO3)

Bonus Videos

FIRST PERSON PHANTOM MODE FUNTIME

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 11, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Track 1: Porto Kora (Rapier, Goteki-45)

MUSIC: Sasha - Goteki-45 (Well, duh)
CO-COMMENTATOR: Serperoth

Ah, Porto Kora... You're an unusually strong start for a track in this series, but god-drat if I don't love you for it. This track's main features are a varied (but still relatively mild) chicane series near the beginning of the track, a small jump with a medium turn quickly afterwards, and a hard U-turn right at the end of the lap, just to trip up the craft that handle less well, but go like poo poo off a stick. Since the race AI has improved since the last edition, the combat elements of this race are also a bit challenging, but this is the game in the series I'm second best at, so with the bruisers that are the Goteki-45 team, we'll have no problems!

I'm genuinely not joking when I say that Goteki-45 are bruisers, by the way. The corporation literally built itself an island in international territories, and called it Makkana, then funded their own AG team. They heavily favour combat over actually winning, and have been accused many times of being in the F7200 merely to discredit AG Racing in general (although their reasons for doing so are not clear). In fact, by the time of the next game, the island of Makkana will be carpet bombed by an unknown airforce (It's implied, heavily, that corporations also have their own military muscle), and Goteki-45 will not be seen again for some time. Despite this, their craft is well loved, because it handles just fine (handling 3, the average), and its shields are nigh impenetrable. Unfortunately, it's only slightly faster than the FEISAR, and has only average acceleration.

Of course, that fits with their backstory, because this thing is designed to hang in the mid-pack and wreck anything that even looks at them funny.

Classic Track 1: Talon's Junction (Rapier, AG Systems)

MUSIC: FSOL - We Have Explosive
CO-COMMENTATOR: YourAverageJoe

One of the first things you'll notice about the updated Talon's Junction is that it's a little narrower. Not much, but still noticably. Then you'll be too busy trying to survive. The other is that it has more boost pads. This isn't the boon that you'd think it is, forcing you to think tactically. I'm using the AGS here because it's a short track, and I'm less likely to explode. Don't worry, we'll have plenty of explosions soon enough!

How I Got There

Unlocking different craft is very simple in Wipeout 3: Just get gold in the first track of any class with the first four craft (G-45, FEISAR, Auricom, and Pirhana), then get gold with three of the four final craft (Qirex-RD, AG-S, Assegai, and Icaras). Then you'll have all the ships. Seeing as I won't be using the Assegai and Icaras for a short while, here's how long it took me to get to the AGS. I'll add how long it took to get to Assegai and Icaras when the right time comes round, and show my unlock attempts (using Porto Kora and Talon's Reach respectively) as we get further down the list.

Goteki-45 : 5 attempts until success.
FEISAR: 6 attempts until success.
Auricom: 1 attempt :getin:
Pirhana: 1 attempt :getin:
Qirex-RD: 1 attempt (guess)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 29, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ahh, Wipeout 3. This is the only other Wipeout I ever got to play, and it's a great game. You can tell a lot of love went into improving pretty much every single thing about XL when they made this. I love the way the minimalist graphics allow for far crisper details of the ships, I love the variety of designs on display. I love the level layouts (my favorite course is in this game, and I really hope it's included in the races, regardless of class, because it's just plain fun to play. I won't say what it is yet for spoiler's sake) I love the weapon selection in this game (and MAN is the force wall fun to use), and I love how everything just seems overall bigger. Though I'm not sure I played this one as much as XL, I do think it the better game. However, I'm from the US, where people promptly ignored it upon release. Very true story, though I read a lot of gaming magazines at the time, I had no idea this came out until three years later in 2002, when I discovered it to my shock and horror in with a bunch of other late-stage forgotten PS1 games for 5 bucks a pop. I snatched it up alongside the Blaster Master game (meh) and an obscure game called Eternal Eyes that is a weird hybrid of Final Fantasy Tactics and pokemon/digimon style monster breeding. It's a weird game and anime as gently caress, but I'm really surprised it hasn't got more attention. To top things off, I never even had heard of the special edition until like, 2 years ago. I've played around with it and like it, but it's just not quite the same as having the actual disc to use, you know? Anyways, I'm sure this is going to be even more fun than the XL stuff, and I'm sure you all will just be twisting my arm to join the races...

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
You said the Goteki has high shields, but it seemed like you were still taking quite a bit of damage. Did they tone the shield strength down overall, or were you just getting wrecked? From playing Wipeout XL (like, 2 hand a half months ago make the race vid Jamiethe race vid, Jamie, make it), the high-shield crafts could just roll on through with 0 shits given. But here, you seemed to be in trouble by the second lap.

Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong bar. The new design of the game is cool, but I'm not really liking that mass of colors and bars in the bottom right.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know why so many people ignored this game on release but for my part I remember looking at it and just thinking it looked so boring. I learned why they did it much later on but at the time that didn't really matter. I don't really want to call it a case of style over substance since there really isn't much wrong with its predecessor but Wipeout XL just looked unique and bled atmosphere while Wipeout 3 just looked just kinda "eh." I know comparing intros, especially for PS1 era games which seemed to throw half the budget into them sometimes, is a bad thing to do but Wipeout XL's just got you right pumped up to do some AG racing whereas Wipeout 3's just makes you think "Did I just watch a college art film?"

Or maybe people were just tired of racing games at that moment.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Wipeout 3 is one of the most beautiful games on the PS1 in my opinion. The ship designs, the colour choices, the textures, everything. It just fits so well together and it makes me want to touch stuff.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Ovues posted:

You said the Goteki has high shields, but it seemed like you were still taking quite a bit of damage. Did they tone the shield strength down overall, or were you just getting wrecked?

One of the new features in Wipeout 3 is that you can sacrifice shields for a speed boost.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I played the gently caress out of Wip3out Special edition back in the day on the PS2 with fast loading and texture filtering on and also 16.9 16.9 16 motherfucking 9.

loved this game, it's a high res psx game with widescreen support which is a rarity. the art design is exemplary and it is tight as you like, it reminds me of waverace in a way, the vertical aspect of the courses being coupled with supremely tight analogue control.

great soundtrack as well, kittens - heavy as gently caress - with some great trance tracks from paul van dyke and sasha (who curated the sound track) and mmm.... yes... I've been waiting for this game.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ovues posted:

You said the Goteki has high shields, but it seemed like you were still taking quite a bit of damage. Did they tone the shield strength down overall, or were you just getting wrecked? From playing Wipeout XL (like, 2 hand a half months ago make the race vid Jamiethe race vid, Jamie, make it), the high-shield crafts could just roll on through with 0 shits given. But here, you seemed to be in trouble by the second lap.

Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong bar. The new design of the game is cool, but I'm not really liking that mass of colors and bars in the bottom right.

Ugh, I just realised I've been using Hyperboost during time trials and not explaining it properly. But yeah, basically, a feature of this game, and this game only, is that you can directly sacrifice your shield for turbo. It won't work at below 25% shields (for obvious reasons), but it's a fun part of the risk reward mechanics that was never used in this simple form ever again. Later games have the roll-boost (do a barrel roll! -15 shields! Turbo!)

Kibayasu, Giggs, JFairfax posted:

The Look of the game

It's certainly interesting to see the different viewpoints. This game definitely had one of the weaker intros on the action front, it is true. Then again, as has been mentioned already (and will probably be mentioned till kingdom come), the low polys allow hi-def, and 16:9 support was rare as hell. But yeah, the long and short of it is that Wip3out was a commercial failure, overall (although Special Edition redeemed this somewhat).

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It did come out right at the end of the PlayStation's life though, the Dreamcast was already released and the PS2 was very much on its way.

Certainly the opportunity for a futuristic racing game to make an impact had peaked by this point, perhaps Gran Turismo had something to do with that?

Certainly since GT was released future racing games have never really had the same impact. I think the initial magic of WipEout was the right place, right time, showcasing new technology with a really pumping sound track.

Gran Turismo really took over that from WipEout in a few ways I suppose.

Anyway, Wip3out is the tits. I love the muted style and just the attention to detail on the design to really maximise the look, minimise pop up and ensure a really smooth experience. Replays are great, different coloured trails are cool.

It feels much more like you're racing in real locations, there's a coherency there and a feeling of placement in a world which I didn't really find with the first two games.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I'm going to come out and admit I have possibly the weirdest relationship with the Wipeout series ever. And that is I love the games to death because of what they are: Future racers with weapons and awesome ship designs. However, I've played VERY little of any one game in the series. The lore is awesome, given how little is actually touched upon in game itself, and the fact that the world changes and grows over the games, not doing something stupid like "here is the same game, with completely different poo poo that has nothing to do with the last game you played". The world of Wipeout is amazing; I just have yet to experience it personally. So big thanks to you Jamie for letting me see everything I've missed.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know why so many people ignored this game on release but for my part I remember looking at it and just thinking it looked so boring.

The local youth center had this on their Playstation set. I saw the title and figured that it was just the first Wipeout. I mean, the colour palette is so dull and boring, everything's more understated, it goes against all your expectations of what a sequel would do. Honestly, I prefer the more stark contrasts in Wipeout 2097 to 3's, though I'll agree that 3's hud is kinda pretty.

JamieTheD posted:

CO-COMMENTATOR: Major JF

Hey. :colbert:

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 29, 2014

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Wip3out is really something, it's absolutely gorgeous for a start, it's taken a shift away from the heavy cyberpunk aesthetic of the last game in favour of a more clean aluminium future look, which makes sense when you consider the rising importance of hi-tech electronics at the end of the 20th century and it even looks pretty modern compared to the present too. I think this is the stage that the various corporations in the series really became characters in their own right, and the branding for each one is a lot more consistent from here on in.

I really consider this game one of the best looking if not the best looking games for the PS1: the textures are great, the stages are well made and individual and the thing even has support for 480i resolution. This is probably the point where I fell in love with the series.

A few tidbits that I remember off the top of my head:
-Curly was actually introduced in the manual of 2097.
-In the non-special edition of the game the cloak is bugged and will make you invulnerable.
-You can actually predict the type of weapon pickup you can get based on the colours of the weapon pads: red-yellow pads can give you any weapon but blue-yellow pads only give you defensive pickups like shields.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh yeah, I agree that it's easily in the top 3 for PS1 graphics (the other two being Square's Final Fantasy IX, and Chrono Cross, which both came out in the US the same year the PS2 debuted). It's such a beautiful game, and more importantly, it's so clean looking. There's no fuzzy pixels at play here. Even on the actual hardware (emulators accelerate the graphics in the same way the PS2 did, only better) and an old fashioned tube tv, it's just such a crisp and beautiful game.

Also, For the record I totally love Curly, and prefer his starting countdown to the deep voice of the first two games. (I totally just talked myself into a curly avatar for after the race is finally posted, didn't I? )

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Also, For the record I totally love Curly, and prefer his starting countdown to the deep voice of the first two games. (I totally just talked myself into a curly avatar for after the race is finally posted, didn't I? )

If you won... You'd have a worse fate in store for you than Curly... Ohhhhh, yes. See, this isn't the F5000. This is the Goon League. I'm still not revealing anything until the time comes. Which is soon.

Er... Fixed, and many apologies? :blush: It was indeed YourAverageJoe's first time, and man, I don't know why my internet hates certain Goons so much (but it does, as Manic Misanthrope and a few others can attest!)

Disproportionation posted:

Wip3out is really something, it's absolutely gorgeous for a start, it's taken a shift away from the heavy cyberpunk aesthetic of the last game in favour of a more clean aluminium future look, which makes sense when you consider the rising importance of hi-tech electronics at the end of the 20th century and it even looks pretty modern compared to the present too. I think this is the stage that the various corporations in the series really became characters in their own right, and the branding for each one is a lot more consistent from here on in.

See, they sorta had character beforehand (press releases and defunct website materials), but you're right, this is where they really start coming into their own, and where the aesthetic of the game almost completely changes. However, this is not the game that really cemented many of those characteristics. That would be Pulse, except where it's Fusion. For reasons we'll go into when we get to Fusion, this isn't entirely a good thing, and later games would make some major plot swerves to avoid making a lot of Fusion stuff canon.

I really consider this game one of the best looking if not the best looking games for the PS1: the textures are great, the stages are well made and individual and the thing even has support for 480i resolution. This is probably the point where I fell in love with the series.

Like I said, best game in the series, hands down. Well, okay, maybe HD Fury could kinda fight for the top spot, but if we did that, we'd basically be saying Pulse was also really good, which... Only kinda holds true. Suffice to say, I severely dislike Pulse's tournament system.

A few tidbits that I remember off the top of my head:
-Curly was actually introduced in the manual of 2097.
-In the non-special edition of the game the cloak is bugged and will make you invulnerable.
-You can actually predict the type of weapon pickup you can get based on the colours of the weapon pads: red-yellow pads can give you any weapon but blue-yellow pads only give you defensive pickups like shields.

All mostly true. Curly was not only in the manual for the game, but the loading screens too. Go back and look, you'll see her! (The finalised design owes a great deal to the character of Arial Tetsuo, for obvious reasons, hence "her".) The cloak is indeed bugged, but then, Wip3out had lots of bugs. I'm not really gonna devote a video to them, but we'll see one that made it to SE next time we update WO3. Finally, you can indeed predict the pickup, and this is a thing that stays true for most of the series, but, depending on which one in the series you're playing, they can cycle between colours, making it only useful in the most general sense of the word.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hey, I didn't say anything about winning earning me a Curly Av, just my liking her being embarrassing enough to earn it. (you did say there was a possibility of multiple prizes depending on the outcome) Frankly, I'd love to not win because I want to see someone do better than my personal best, which ended up trimming several whole seconds off my previous time.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Hey, I didn't say anything about winning earning me a Curly Av, just my liking her being embarrassing enough to earn it. (you did say there was a possibility of multiple prizes depending on the outcome) Frankly, I'd love to not win because I want to see someone do better than my personal best, which ended up trimming several whole seconds off my previous time.

If I have a bit of money around I'd totally get a Curly avatar actually, you're not alone.
And saving seconds from an already good time just feels so good. Even tenths of a second, pushing yourself for that extra bit, such a great feeling.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that force wall is a really interesting weapon, since you have to dodge your own fire to make it work.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Glazius posted:

Okay, that force wall is a really interesting weapon, since you have to dodge your own fire to make it work.

You pass through your own wall just fine, if that's what you meant. It's kinda luck-based though, since enemy crafts will move in a kinda set pattern, and you can't control where the wall will appear.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
:siren:ATTENTION!!:siren:

Megarace reboot, with Christian Erickson reprising the role of Lance Boyle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hope you eventually continue this Jamie, it's been an interesting look back. I'm especially curious to see Fusion because I know that's always been a bit of a black sheep but I never touched it myself. How did they go from 3's sublime designs to those chunky things?

Is there a reason why your newer videos are posted as unlisted? I actually found this lp via youtube.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
He wont be. He tragically died in a freak cosplaying accident. It was a terrible and gruesome scene.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

He wont be. He tragically died in a freak cosplaying accident. It was a terrible and gruesome scene.

Yes, but what about the accident?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Hope you eventually continue this Jamie, it's been an interesting look back. I'm especially curious to see Fusion because I know that's always been a bit of a black sheep but I never touched it myself. How did they go from 3's sublime designs to those chunky things?

Is there a reason why your newer videos are posted as unlisted? I actually found this lp via youtube.

Ah, good catch there, I'd tried to get the first WO3 vids public when I posted, but for some reason it didn't take. I tried again just now, and everything except the vids I haven't posted yet are now public.

As to Fusion, I don't want to point fingers, but a few key things happened between WO3 and Fusion. Specifically, Nick Burcombe moved on to other things, and the Designers' Republic was no longer involved in the series, although I don't know the reasons. I'm going to be saying this time and time again, but if Fusion hadn't done some of its little "experiments" with the mechanics poorly, we'd probably have seen a very different direction for the series. Also, though I have yet to confirm, Andy Whitely was only involved with 3, and his design work on the craft really made this game (I shall be recording the First Person video footage drat soon, and I will not actually be bitching about this one, for reasons that will become clear!)

Other things that can be blamed is the fact that, with the PS2, you were no longer restricted to a stupidly low amount of polys, and so there was no need to have these simple, yet interesting designs (where the devs made the most of the technology)... You see it a lot, where people don't feel the need to optimise their code/designs because "Hey, the hardware can handle it!"

Yes, never mind that the hardware can handle it... Think about the design choices, guys. Fusion also has some of the worst track design in the entire series (and yes, I'm counting 64, which just said "gently caress it, let's mildly change some of the XL/WO1 tracks"), and the combination of broader weapon usage combined with an AI that's perfectly willing to use all the tools at its disposal (we'll be seeing that quite often when we get there) means that you will get hosed up by the AI racers. No question of this, at least 1 in 3 tournaments will end with you ragequitting the tournament halfway through.

Serperoth posted:

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Yes, but what about the accident?

Look guys, I'm a responsible guy, and I promise, I never use cat-ears without justification, a clear head, and safety wear. Now, onto important stuff.

Why You No Show Race Vid?

Because, while I've got the basic vids done, I wanted it to be good for you guys. So there's a choice. I got people who are working on helping me prettify the videos, I've gotta get me a copy of Premiere CC at some point soonish (I have a trial version at the mo, but I'm pretty sure... Whoah, 2 days? Yeah, that's gonna run out real soon), and, if you're okay with waiting, I'll do my best to make a race video you'll definitely enjoy.

But if you're wanting to see the results NOW, I just have to bully Giggs to get on Skype, record the commentary for that one, get JFairfax to skype me for a short segment (he missed the main commentary slot, poor dab), and we'll effectively be done, because I can put commentary over the race, have audio segments afterward for post race commentary, and that'll be that, I can prettify it whenever.

Up to you. Also, Giggs, JFairfax, skype is jaythed, hit me up ASAP, and we'll get your stuff done. This Friday/Saturday is best.

There'll be a pair of videos later today, by the way, and your lust for explosions shall be satisfied from an extremely unlikely source!

EDIT: Also, I've been takin' a break because depression and studies, but it's alright, we've got at least one of those mostly out the way now!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Time for me to dust off my mic!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JamieTheD posted:

Other things that can be blamed is the fact that, with the PS2, you were no longer restricted to a stupidly low amount of polys, and so there was no need to have these simple, yet interesting designs (where the devs made the most of the technology)... You see it a lot, where people don't feel the need to optimise their code/designs because "Hey, the hardware can handle it!"

Yes, never mind that the hardware can handle it... Think about the design choices, guys.

Wipeout HD did exactly this right. Although I think most of the Fury redesigns were a step back, even if garishly over the top was kind of the point of the prototypes.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

More videos? MORE VIDEOS

Track 2: Mega Mall (Rapier, Qirex RD)

Text Link

MUSIC: Propellerheads – Lethal Cut
CO-COMMENTATOR: Serperoth

Mega Mall shows how the difficulty curve is going to work in this game, as it has its distinctly unfriendly moments, but is otherwise alright if you know what you're doing. The spiral in the middle of the track is particularly nasty, because it requires some good speed control to take cleanly (IE – Without collisions), but there's also a chicane series or two, and some nasty turns. So, naturally, I'm going to use a craft that has traditionally always had trouble with this kind of track: The Qirex. And boy, does it have trouble with this track.

Qirex have now named themselves Qirex-RD (Research and Developement, allegedly), but their craft is still roughly the same, stats wise, as previous incarnations: Good thrust and top speed, average shields, poor handling. Luckily, poor handling doesn't mean quite so much this time around, but comparatively, it still steers like a god-drat cow. They've been bought out by the Overtel corporation by this point, but nothing's come of it yet, and Holst McQueen still runs the company. Just.

How I Got There

FEISAR: 1 Attempt.
G-45: 1 attempt.
Auricom: 1 attempt.
Piranha: 1 attempt.

Classic Track 2: Altima VII (Rapier, FEISAR)

Text Link

MUSIC: CoLD StoRAGE - Messij Extended (Link is to CS's website, for obvious reasons)

Why is this track, easier in Wip3'out”, the second track in the game? Because they made it harder, that's why. A lot harder. For a start, they narrowed the track (a disturbing trend for the Classic tracks, they really didn't need that), and, to add insult to injury, they narrowed the tunnel section even further. Hope you can turn really well, goons, because Altima VII has suddenly become a bitch to pilot. And it's only the second Classic track in the game. So, in order to save future entertainment for you lovely folks, I've been a wimp, and gone with the FEISAR. Because I'm a coward.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 15, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JamieTheD posted:

Classic Track 2: Altima VII (Rapier, FEISAR)

Text Link

MUSIC: CoLD StoRAGE - Messij Extended (Link is to CS's website, for obvious reasons)

Why is this track, easier in Wip3'out”, the second track in the game? Because they made it harder, that's why. A lot harder. For a start, they narrowed the track (a disturbing trend for the Classic tracks, they really didn't need that), and, to add insult to injury, they narrowed the tunnel section even further. Hope you can turn really well, goons, because Altima VII has suddenly become a bitch to pilot. And it's only the second Classic track in the game. So, in order to save future entertainment for you lovely folks, I've been a wimp, and gone with the FEISAR. Because I'm a coward.

Altima's one of the tracks also remade or rather reimagined in 2048. I've actually been trying and failing to tackle it in the final track of the game (you v. 7 Pir-Hana Speeds).

What didn't you like about 2084? I have a number of issues with it (the grind; no free runs until after they're important; no racebox equivalent; a UI that looks slick but obstructs information), but the meat and potatoes are solid. Most of the new things they tried were at least interesting and not objectively steps backward. Plus it was probably healthy for Studio Liverpool to experiment with the formula a bit (something most reviews didn't recognize, for better or worse). The grind's a definite bitch, though, because I know I'm never gonna get a quarter or more of the ships (especially with how dead online is). HD's loyalty system was pretty harsh but it only ever restricted cosmetics.

Also, unfortunately, contrary to YourAverageJoe's suggestion Wipeout 2048 isn't on the Vita TV's whitelist. Which tells you just how much Sony care about the little device (the main menu isn't navigable without a touch screen, but adding in dpad support wouldn't require a complete redesign). It's a prime candidate for a showcase game: great graphics, Vita native resolution (actually not that common) and nothing essential to the gameplay uses the touchpads, but nope.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

My main problems with it are graphical. It's not just the UI that obscures too much, it's the craft themselves, especially the heavier variants. I'm also ambivalent about the track design and the grind (which has actually been a feature to some degree or other since Fusion, funnily enough). While I appreciate the experiment with the three classes, I don't think it worked, and this is a problem.

Finally, if Wipeout were on the Vita TV's whitelist, that would imply deeply to many people that Sony were wrong about closing Studio Liverpool, and Sony, while not always the best of studios, are at least fairly PR aware... Or rather, aware enough that putting 2048 on would make fans want more Wipeout, which they can no longer provide.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JamieTheD posted:

My main problems with it are graphical. It's not just the UI that obscures too much, it's the craft themselves, especially the heavier variants. I'm also ambivalent about the track design and the grind (which has actually been a feature to some degree or other since Fusion, funnily enough). While I appreciate the experiment with the three classes, I don't think it worked, and this is a problem.
The fighters end up being pretty much only useful in combat events, but I thought the speed / agility divide worked - two approaches to a team's primary philosophy. And I love the idea of the prototypes, though I don't know whether the later ones remain interesting.

And regarding visibility, there's always the interior cam! :downs: (I actually sort of like the view)

Also, it's crazy to me that the default configuration doesn't have directional air brakes. I have no idea how that control scheme evens exist in a Wipeout game since the brakes are so crucial, let alone that it's the default.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aw man, Mega Mall is, unequivocally my favorite Wipeout track of any. I just end up having so much fun driving it. (And you two know this thanks to certain commentary conversations) Also, if you hit the spiral right, you can sort of launch yourself over other racers, which is super satisfying.

Also, the level really proves what you've been saying about how nice the replay function is, because there's a ton of details to the level that you can only see in replay mode, like the stain-glass window above you as you enter the spiral for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Okay guys, while you're waitin' for an update (and for me to get into some serious editing), go enjoy something courtesy of Manga Entertainment and the Catpiss Thread. If you enjoy it enough, go support the dudes who made the film. That's what I'm doin' next month!

EDIT: Oops, forgot the link. Go Watch Redline.

DOUBLE EDIT: Some NSW, should warn you.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 19, 2014

• Locked thread