Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I bought the original SS and had fun with it but felt really overwhelmed trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing and what spells were viable, and wasn't sure if I was supposed to be grinding the same levels over and over again for spells or trying to progress through the story.

It sounds like from some of the recent posts that Delta has added a bunch of stuff and maybe made things a bit more clear as to what exactly I was supposed to be doing. Is that accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Is a holy focused build more well rounded now? I haven't played ss in a while but I remember being pretty much limited to support and it didn't add a huge amount of survivability either.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Am I reading the what's new breakdown correctly, that to get the new random missions you have to spend a currency you buy with cash?

You can. You can also create the random missions by giving up offerings. You can also get a random mission a month it looks like. There's no need to every use real money.

Aerox posted:

I bought the original SS and had fun with it but felt really overwhelmed trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing and what spells were viable, and wasn't sure if I was supposed to be grinding the same levels over and over again for spells or trying to progress through the story.

It sounds like from some of the recent posts that Delta has added a bunch of stuff and maybe made things a bit more clear as to what exactly I was supposed to be doing. Is that accurate?

If anything it's probably more confusing with so many more side things to do. Just follow the path of least resistance. Is story content starting to get hard? Pop on over to optional stuff to get stronger.

Dimix posted:

Is a holy focused build more well rounded now? I haven't played ss in a while but I remember being pretty much limited to support and it didn't add a huge amount of survivability either.

Probably? I know two people going full holy and they seem to do ok. The big advantages are still their support spells but they can do some damage. Also they're pretty much unkillable (unless they're Emalde and are walking around blind due to Gorgon).

Belzac fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 15, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Belzac posted:

Probably? I know two people going full holy and they seem to do ok. The big advantages are still their support spells but they can do some damage. Also they're pretty much unkillable (unless they're Emalde and are walking around blind due to Gorgon).

Divine gets sigil boosts to using spear type offerings, which is cool.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I imported my save from SS to Delta, (probably foolishly because I hadn't done terribly much) but in Delta, despite having red stamps on all the Sortiara missions, all my Magusar missions are blacked out.

"Continue" seems to put me at the "mission" (really cutscene) Sortiara's Soul which doesn't seem to actually be anything to "finish".

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
I think you need to do all 3 sets of faction quests then everything else is unlocked back up to what you left off at.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I added an unedited unsorted list of Delta info to the OP. Let me know if you think of more stuff.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone found any combos other than the ones they showed you in the tutorial? So far I've found

Boulder Morph + Elemental Breath Arm Morph: If you breath elemental power onto a boulder morphed person for a second or so they'll become much larger
Boulder Morph + Giant Arm: You can punch boulder morphed people to send them flying

Presumably you could combo those two combos.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone found any combos other than the ones they showed you in the tutorial? So far I've found

Boulder Morph + Elemental Breath Arm Morph: If you breath elemental power onto a boulder morphed person for a second or so they'll become much larger
Boulder Morph + Giant Arm: You can punch boulder morphed people to send them flying

Presumably you could combo those two combos.

You can use shout to break golems into a bunch of little golems.
You can use Beast (breath) arms to power up shields and make them huge.
The mole evasion magic can be used with weapon magic to do a rising attack.
It's kinda obvious but you use parasitic magic to set up a heal on the boss that does damage.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Stolen from gamefaqs (not comprehensive):

quote:

SAME ELEMENT COMBOS

Armour+Blitz

This one is pretty fun, after first blitz hit you are 'suspend' in air and power up before attack. Armour is gone after it.

Armour+Roar

If you charge your roar while in armour it will be more powerful and do a bigger blast. Armour is gone after that.

Armour+Shield

Your shield get bigger and 'shield bash' is more powerful (shockwave).

Bomb+Mines

Plant a bomb and use mines, the bomb will turn into kind of 'mortar' that will shoot out bullets in radius.

Bomb+Terrain (blanket)

Put a blanket, and then put a bomb on it. It will turn into Mario-like plant that will spew bullets.

Golem+Roar (this one don't have to be of the same element)

Put a golem, then roar around it to break him into smaller ones.

Golem+Homing

Put a golem and then power him up by homing spells. Golem will attack faster.

Weapon+Mines (IIRC weapon can be neutral, then it will get Mines element)

Use mines, then use weapon- it will absorb mines.

Terrain (blanket)+Throw, Eggs, Homing

Put a blanket and stand on it. If you use throw, each bullet will power up after a while. If you use egg, it will power up after a while. If you use homing, charge time will be reduced (normally there are 2 charge stages, standing on blanker shorts it to one).

Regenesis Seed+Roar

When you are under regenesis seed effect, using roar will have healing effect on allies.

Arboreal+Roar

If you eat fruit and charge roar, it will difuse effect on allies

Parasitic+throw healing/AoE healing

Put a parasite on foe and then 'heal him' which will bloom the parasite

Arboreal+Arboreal

As was mentioned above, you can put fruit effect on tree you got that fruit from or on another one which will result in different effects.

Arboreal+Terrain Uplift

Put a tree, then do terrain uplift on it- the uplifted part will have roots on it which I thin make it last longer and be harder to break (also, uplifted part should have used tree effect? Not sure about it).

Endrion
Feb 28, 2006
We love Friend Computer!
So... can someone clarify this for me? I've been seriously tempted to grab Soul Sacrifice in the past but have been putting it off. Delta... is it actually an enhanced port + New stuff, entirely new story, or what? Does it contain everything the first had, thereby making it a good place to start at?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Delta has all (I think? there's a gently caress ton of side missions that you'd have to compare) of the original's content, plus new storylines/missions, bosses/spells/etc, some revamped/improved game mechanics, and more.

There's really no reason to play the non-delta version unless you've got it real cheap/free and don't want to spend $35.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Where all can you get new Blood magic? I've gotten a Blood Sword offering from the first mission of the second Sanctuary chapter, but not much else so far. Are there any other ones you can get early on?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Endrion posted:

So... can someone clarify this for me? I've been seriously tempted to grab Soul Sacrifice in the past but have been putting it off. Delta... is it actually an enhanced port + New stuff, entirely new story, or what? Does it contain everything the first had, thereby making it a good place to start at?

Compared to the first it has

Better graphics
Additional Main Story Content
More Sidestories
More monsters
More areas
More spells
A fourth tier of spell strength
Spell rebalancing
Spell combos
3 Factions which effect your quest rewards and save/sacrifice buffs
More sigils (passives)
More costumes/better costume customization
More allies/allies have been rebalanced to be stronger
Quest modifiers called "rumors"
More quests
Higher difficulty quests
An endless dungeon
Randomly generated quests

There are probably things I'm forgetting. Some of the quests from vanilla SS are gone, but they were just "Go to area x and kill monster y" quests. All of the areas and monsters from the old game, including DLC, are still in (except maybe the Toukiden crossover boss? did we ever get that?) so you're not missing any content.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Well I just bothered to check and the side quests aren't all the same. That shouldn't really matter though as there are like hundreds of them and they're pretty much just 'fight monster X on map Y."

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Tricky posted:

Where all can you get new Blood magic? I've gotten a Blood Sword offering from the first mission of the second Sanctuary chapter, but not much else so far. Are there any other ones you can get early on?

Cait Sith has a break that is blood magic. It's literally the same as the Razorshot, but it has half (or less?) as many hits in its combo string for double the damage.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Does Delta contain all the story content from the original, or is it an entirely separate story arc?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Annath posted:

I imported my save from SS to Delta, (probably foolishly because I hadn't done terribly much)

Is there a particular reason not to? Just asking because I also have not done terribly much, relatively, on my original save but plan on getting Delta very soon.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Dominic White posted:

Does Delta contain all the story content from the original, or is it an entirely separate story arc?

It contains the entire story from the first game.

Hopping Ghost posted:

Is there a particular reason not to? Just asking because I also have not done terribly much, relatively, on my original save but plan on getting Delta very soon.

There is no reason not to.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Belzac posted:

There is no reason not to.

If you care about trophies, the games have separate trophy lists.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The Moon Monster posted:

If you care about trophies, the games have separate trophy lists.

And your save file remains unaffected in vanilla SS if you want to go back and get trophies.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Going to post a list of what offering categories are affiliated with which faction, because upgrading from L to + on most offerings requires a testament from that faction (and it also limits the kinds of sigils you can effectively use).

Avalon:
  • Stonefist
  • Arm
  • Morph
  • Explosive
  • Summon
  • Transform
  • Bomb
  • Other (lasers, sky rain, etc)

Grimm:
  • Weapon
  • Beast
  • Homing
  • Throw
  • Mine
  • Special
  • Terrain
  • Arboreal
  • Group
  • Spatial
  • Rising

Sanctuarium: (blood is weird since there are ones that require avalon testaments to upgrade)
  • Blood
  • Spear
  • Blitz
  • Heal Solo/Area
  • Parasite
  • Armor
  • Shield

No Affiliation: (some of these are weird because they still require specific faction testaments to upgrade)
  • Binding
  • Roar
  • Evasive
  • Barrier
  • Irregular
  • Stasis
  • Lure
  • Vacuum
  • Binding

This should also help you figure out how to actually maximize damage if that's a thing you want to do within your faction.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 16, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Omggggggg, looking at the rewards for Blank Pages just made the masochist in me get all pumped to grind this game for another year.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to make sure I am getting this right; all items have a durability that goes down if you use it. If you complete the level before it runs out then it will be completely restored, but if durability runs out it is gone for good, except if you use whatever Librom's tears are called. However depending if you do the right save/sacrifice depending on what faction you are with, you can restore some of this durability mid mission. There is no way to know how long you have left until an offering is destroyed.

Did I get all that right?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I want to make sure I am getting this right; all items have a durability that goes down if you use it. If you complete the level before it runs out then it will be completely restored, but if durability runs out it is gone for good, except if you use whatever Librom's tears are called. However depending if you do the right save/sacrifice depending on what faction you are with, you can restore some of this durability mid mission. There is no way to know how long you have left until an offering is destroyed.

Did I get all that right?

You can clearly see your offerings blink yellow and then red. I think after red it has a chance to break, which increases every time you use it. Basically, if you avoid using your offerings at all when they are red you won't ever break anything. You can sacrifice the small fry monsters that continuously spawn and also use some of the stage items to refresh your offerings.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Hi, I made a thing.

It shows all the raiments (and voices) in the game, where you get them, and functions as a checklist. There's so much stuff my head is going to explode.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Does this game still have active multiplayer? Don't want to pick up the online pass only to find out that no-one is left.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Does this game still have active multiplayer? Don't want to pick up the online pass only to find out that no-one is left.

No, get Delta instead, which does have active multiplayer because it's the new game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Should I clear Soul Sacrifice before importing my save to Delta?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Pierson posted:

Should I clear Soul Sacrifice before importing my save to Delta?

I believe you get some bonuses for doing so but they're nothing major. I know there's a small bonus for being level 100 when you transfer.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm curious as to what kind of accent Red Hood has. It doesn't sound quite like an Irish, Scottish, or English accent...

But maybe my uncultured American ears just cant perceive the difference?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Emalde posted:

No, get Delta instead, which does have active multiplayer because it's the new game.

I already own the game dangit, I don't wanna rebuy. :saddowns:

Though, now that I've gone back to it I'm kind of starting to remember why I stopped playing it so long ago. Big fights last way too loving long. Maybe I'm just not grinding my spells right, but a fight going on for 30+ minutes? Regularly? I can't think of a single situation where that's acceptable. It's boring and tedious as gently caress and not something that you should be doing on a handheld.

Is this normal for the genre or do I just really suck at this game?

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 18, 2014

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Very much normal for the genre. Monster Hunter thrives on portables, and fights get a 50 minute timer normally. I've had quests come down to the literal last seconds before a victory. That said, unless you're colossally outclassed, most fights should only be 15-20 minutes in Soul Sacrifice.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Much less than that. Unless you're way outside your power most quests should less 10 minutes or less. For reference my run to floor 6 of Alice's Hollow took me 36 minutes. That's like 6 minutes a fight.

It's just likely you're using spells that don't fit your sigils or you haven't come up with an effective build. Find spells you like, forge sigils and higher level spells for them, and figure out spells that complement them.

Right now I'm running a Grim build with Weapon magic focusing on the frost/heat/venom swords and the Dullahan armor to keep up in melee while tanking/avoiding hits. I have both forearm sigils as Weapon with resonance, my upper arm with Grim resonance which stacks for a huge Weapon damage bonus. I also have a regrowth sigil to keep me constantly healing and a massive health boost to give me an insurmountable buffer for my tanking.

Combining that build with + rank offerings allows me to chew through 10+ rank bosses with little danger.

Edit: Here's a more descriptive picture of what I'm running for alice/hard content. I can change out the second Mine magic for Shield/Evasive if necessary.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 18, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

How do you even get Regrowth 50? Just use the other Regrowth Sigils until it unlocks? JP Wikis don't know how to get it either.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Even though I played a good chunk of vanilla SS, Delta is quite overwhelming. Then again it's been months since I touched the game...

Homing and Explosive have taken a pretty big hit, getting a status hell on archfiends with those seems impossible.
Playing as Divine I'm not sure what my best options are for breaking cursed parts. Spear + Evasion is fantastic against sorcerers, but the ranged options are pretty bad.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Playing as Divine I'm not sure what my best options are for breaking cursed parts. Spear + Evasion is fantastic against sorcerers, but the ranged options are pretty bad.

Depends on the cursed part. Pretty much every cursed part on any monster can be reached with Moleclaw/Assassin's Wingtip + Spear, Blitz can also help with it (but i hate blitz and think it's a dumb + worthless offering type, probably one of the shittiest categories economically in all respects)

If you've got a loadout for blood magic, beat the game and get Angelshot, which is really great at hitting every cursed part at once on a monster.

E: finally managed to get this out of the way

Emalde fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 18, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I guess I should just get some better spells and sigils? I'm just trying to figure out how to kill the minotaur. I get that I have to break her axe first, but that takes most of my casts, and I can't sacrifice anything to get my casts back, and there are not nearly enough restoration points.

I guess I just need to be able to kill the axe and the minotaur in fewer casts.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is there a decent guide to the mechanics of sigils anywhere? I kinda have no idea how to get new ones.

Like, I see you're 10/10 and have what appear to be much better sigils than I do at 13/11.

Also, what is "SP"?

After missions I get a message about X unallocated (or something) SP, and the number increases after each mission...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Annath posted:

Like, I see you're 10/10 and have what appear to be much better sigils than I do at 13/11.

Also, what is "SP"?

After missions I get a message about X unallocated (or something) SP, and the number increases after each mission...

He is actually 210/210, that blue symbol with the 2 means he has achieved level 100 two times.

SP is for faction points, turn them in at the bazaar ledger.

• Locked thread