Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nordick posted:

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but this is a rather active thread and somewhat related, so I figured it's my best bet:

Is there not a Xenonauts thread? Apparently the forum search function is hosed (it says zero results no matter what I search for), and I couldn't find one with just manually browsing through the Games forum. I bought the game a few days ago, and am loving the absolute poo poo out of it despite the few rough edges, which will most likely be ironed out in time.
So in short, I'm having a whale of a time with the game and wanna talk about it with other goons. Where do I go?

XCOM coming out and actually being really good more or less killed off all the momentum Xenonauts had going for it. :(

legoman727 posted:

Speaking of Long War, if you plan on actually trying to FINISH the game somehow, 9a is actually uncompletable because you can only blow up the Overseer, not shoot it down for an actual mission.

Keeping you from playing the awful final mission is A Feature. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pomp posted:

Keeping you from playing the awful final mission is A Feature. :colbert:

The final mission in Long War is a proper showdown. 12 of XCom's finest Vs a boss rush of uber-aliens.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dominic White posted:

The final mission in Long War is a proper showdown. 12 of XCom's finest Vs a boss rush of uber-aliens.

God dammit. :negative:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pomp posted:

XCOM coming out and actually being really good more or less killed off all the momentum Xenonauts had going for it. :(
Huh, shame. I've played my fair share of XCOM and love it, even more so since EW came out, but I feel Xenonauts is different enough that it isn't obsolete at all.
XCOM does its own thing and bloody well at that, while Xenonauts has that old-school charm and a genuine feel of "This is just like old X-COM / UFO but better".

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, as mentioned last page, there is a temporary fix for the Overseer bug:

quote:

HEX FIX TO EXPLODING OVERSEER ISSUE
Open up XComStrategyGame.upk in a hex editor
Do a search and replace for the following hex string
Search:
0F 19 01 E9 0C 00 00 09 00 17 41 00 00 00 01 17 41 00 00 24 02

Replace:
0F 19 01 E9 0C 00 00 09 00 17 41 00 00 00 01 17 41 00 00 24 01

It should only make one change to the file. This will force ALL UFOs you shoot down to crash, and none will explode, so you may want to undo it after you get the overseer. (The permanent fix is more complicated than this)

Best turned on just as you encounter it, and then turned off again afterwards.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There isn't a Xenonauts thread because the project has been in a development purgatory for years. There is really nothing to say about it.

That said, since Xenonauts is more or less in every XCOM fan's interests, if something does happen, but it isn't enough to start its own thread, I am not gonna care if you post it here.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

There isn't a Xenonauts thread because the project has been in a development purgatory for years. There is really nothing to say about it.

It has a development team of, like, four dudes working on a shoestring budget - people need to learn that games don't just magically pop into existence. And it's still probably been in development about as long as the new XCom, it's just that we've seen the whole process from the start.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
To be honest I haven't really been following the development over time. I just saw some very early stuff like two years ago and figured it looked interesting enough to check out again once they've made some progress, and then I kinda half forgot about it. Can't deny that XCOM being awesome helped with that.
Then this guy on another forum started a Let's Play Xenonauts thread, and after a few posts I decided I was convinced enough and bought the game.

Currently, by what I've seen, the devs are pushing out patches and new builds at a pretty frequent rate, and as far as I understand it they're getting pretty close to release; I read that they are currently entering the "polishing phase" and that the current experimental build might be the last one.
And even the latest stable build is very much a playable and enjoyable game, even if it was the finished product I wouldn't regret paying 17 euros for it. It really is good.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As someone who knows nothing about Xenonauts except some bits from a youtube trailer I googled a minute ago, how does it vary from XCOM? Sell me on this game, what's cool about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gnome7 posted:

As someone who knows nothing about Xenonauts except some bits from a youtube trailer I googled a minute ago, how does it vary from XCOM? Sell me on this game, what's cool about it.

Not an enormous amount of variance, actually, from what I know. It's essentially if someone set out to remake XCOM with modern control conveniences and a better UI. Oh and a bit less soul to it because they can't use any of the cool alien designs. And it's kinda buggy because it's still heavily in development.

If you like the original XCOM you'll probably like Xenonauts.

Arthur Wolfe did a big session on it some time ago. I'll dig out the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8e-MqrHV7g

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 14, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dominic White posted:

It has a development team of, like, four dudes working on a shoestring budget - people need to learn that games don't just magically pop into existence. And it's still probably been in development about as long as the new XCom, it's just that we've seen the whole process from the start.

Yeah undercapitalization will murder any venture, but it will REALLY murder software ventures just because of how much money competent developers can make in corporate America. No joke, the unemployment rate for developers in my specialty in my city is 0.4%. Zero point four percent. And the median salary is more than the median family income for an American family.

I don't think it's surprising that it's been in purgatory for so long, but by the same token it's hard to generate enough news and buzz to justify your own thread like that, sadly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

gnome7 posted:

OwlFancier is correct. Compared to the original X-Com it doesn't really have any single big feature I could mention that differentiates it. It's more a sum of many clever little things that make the whole seem more refined and, for a lack of a better word, modern (in a good way).
As for "bit less soul", well, I suppose the aliens themselves aren't quite as "charismatic" as the originals. But overall the art in the game is pretty good, the ambient music gets fantastically creepy and the game manages to conjure this foreboding sense of imminent doom, so I don't think it really has anything to be ashamed of next to the original.

Compared to the new XCOM, well, it's obviously a much more traditional specimen of this particular strategy subb-genre, with time units and all that jazz. Whether that's a good thing or not depends entirely on your taste, I suppose. For me personally it just basically scratches the same itch in a different way.

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, I wasn't really saying there totally should be a Xenonauts thread. Was just asking. :)
EDIT2: Checking out that video now. Probably not gonna watch all of it, but I'll skim through to get a feel of how much the game has progressed since.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 14, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

OwlFancier posted:

Not an enormous amount of variance, actually, from what I know. It's essentially if someone set out to remake XCOM with modern control conveniences and a better UI. Oh and a bit less soul to it because they can't use any of the cool alien designs. And it's kinda buggy because it's still heavily in development.

If you like the original XCOM you'll probably like Xenonauts.

Sadly, if you want a better Original Xcom experience, you'll want Open Xcom, which is both goonmade and free.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Obliterati posted:

Can someone explain to me how I change the random strings for the mission names? I opened and edited both of the XcomStrategyGame.int files with Notepad++ but it doesn't seem to catch. I'm on Steam, if that's related.

Edit: ah, I see you said you already did both...
XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Localization\INT
AND go into the one in
XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Localization\INT

In addition, if you have only partially replaced the lists, I think it still looks at the old stuff. So if you can only think of 20 words, copy-paste it several times over to make up to 60 or 80 or whatever the original list length is. I kind of forget.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 14, 2014

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Coolguye posted:

Yeah undercapitalization will murder any venture, but it will REALLY murder software ventures just because of how much money competent developers can make in corporate America. No joke, the unemployment rate for developers in my specialty in my city is 0.4%. Zero point four percent. And the median salary is more than the median family income for an American family.

I don't think it's surprising that it's been in purgatory for so long, but by the same token it's hard to generate enough news and buzz to justify your own thread like that, sadly.

What's up dev buddy :hf:

Plus, if you're making a game in your spare time, you code all day and come home and code more. You do that for a couple months and you burn out or go crazy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nordick posted:

As for "bit less soul", well, I suppose the aliens themselves aren't quite as "charismatic" as the originals. But overall the art in the game is pretty good, the ambient music gets fantastically creepy and the game manages to conjure this foreboding sense of imminent doom, so I don't think it really has anything to be ashamed of next to the original.

I don't actually know what sort of aliens they have in the later game, but the few I have seen look a little generic. Just kinda weird green lumpy dudes with guns.

It does definitely remind me of original XCom with the atmosphere though, the art style is definitely right for that. Hopefully they can make the different aliens memorable and cool to fight.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't actually know what sort of aliens they have in the later game, but the few I have seen look a little generic. Just kinda weird green lumpy dudes with guns.

It does definitely remind me of original XCom with the atmosphere though, the art style is definitely right for that. Hopefully they can make the different aliens memorable and cool to fight.
Yeah, the problem with the look is that while the Xenopaedia art is pretty cool, the alien sprites in the tactical map are kinda featureless. Also names like "Caesan" and "Sebillian" don't exactly ooze character.

Gameplaywise they're really cool and varied though. You have the dinky not-sectoids that get annoying psi tricks later on, then there are the beefy lizard dudes that are really aggressive but have poo poo aim, killer robots that just inexorably amble forward to gun things down, pesky sniper shits, etc etc. And while the early missions of just clearing tiny scout moped UFOs (like in that video) are pretty underwhelming, the invasion really escalates with time and the game absolutely stops loving around.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Edit: ah, I see you said you already did both...
XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Localization\INT
AND go into the one in
XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Localization\INT

In addition, if you have only partially replaced the lists, I think it still looks at the old stuff. So if you can only think of 20 words, copy-paste it several times over to make up to 60 or 80 or whatever the original list length is. I kind of forget.

The important bit is that you have to replace existing entries, since the game only appears to look at a set number of them. If you add to the existing ones they won't show, I'm pretty sure. Same goes for the pilot names from Long War.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I've played Xenonauts for a good long while. What I enjoy most about it is the Airwar is drat important, and your own skill in moving your planes matter. Soldiers feel disposable, for the most part, until you have a core of highly skilled officers. Last time I played, I got to the 2nd to last mission, the aliens only managed one or two terror missions, as I was dominating the air so hard that the terror landers couldn't get there. However, at this time, Psionic powers were completely ignoring line of sight, allowing your soldiers to be mind controlled from turn one on the later ship invasions. But, on the flip side, by that point I had 3 drop ships with 4 flying plasma sniper/scouts, 4 medium armor infantry with plasma guns of their own, a tank with a rail cannon, and 2 guys in power armor with their own auto railguns. A terror mission involved me nuking everything and watching aliens explode.

Its a good game. Be prepared to lose though, when 5 months down the line you realize that the aliens have been landing everywhere else off radar and costing you tons of funding.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ego Trip posted:

What's up dev buddy :hf:
Mah bro :hf:

I try to balance it with other disciplines. Went back and got my securities licenses to do financial advising and crap a few years back. Going to see a client really knocks me out of the programming mindset, so I find I actually have MORE energy to code my own poo poo since then.

Of course, one look at my github will prove that even then it's still not a huge amount.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

John Dough posted:

The important bit is that you have to replace existing entries, since the game only appears to look at a set number of them. If you add to the existing ones they won't show, I'm pretty sure. Same goes for the pilot names from Long War.

This is what I did, which confuses me: I only replaced about half of them and the others are originals. I may have to try from a clean install or something: if I get a result I'll post it here.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
LW: I noticed that you can now research the types of UFOs that you have shot down for a damage buff. Unfortunately my only satellite shot down by a torrent of UFOs in early month 2 and by the time I got the research in month 3 the aliens had already shot up so far that it was even harder to shoot them down than before.

Question: at what meld per canister should I throw my hands up and start a new game?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

wolfman101 posted:

LW: I noticed that you can now research the types of UFOs that you have shot down for a damage buff. Unfortunately my only satellite shot down by a torrent of UFOs in early month 2 and by the time I got the research in month 3 the aliens had already shot up so far that it was even harder to shoot them down than before.

Question: at what meld per canister should I throw my hands up and start a new game?

More than 7 is a red flag, but if you can collect it (Assaults are great for this), use it to speed build Workshops and Labs to catch up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

amanasleep posted:

More than 7 is a red flag, but if you can collect it (Assaults are great for this), use it to speed build Workshops and Labs to catch up.
As a note, in my most recent game I came back from 7 fairly easily. You're naturally going to get some ebb/flow just as techs come online. I was up to 9 at one point, but I was also making a huge grab for Asia, so I'd basically saved up for ~3 months to build 2 Nexuses, 4 sats, 4 interceptors, and some other stuff all in one go. Within two months I was back down to 3 as all of my foundry projects that I'd delayed until I grabbed Asia came online. So if you're seeing the Meld numbers creep up a lot and aren't planning some big move, you might start getting worried.

MMania
May 7, 2008
I really wish speed building just cost meld, it would directly be a 'you're falling behind: have more stuff you can use to catch up' mechanic. Other than getting an uplink up before the end of a month, I can't justify $100(?) extra for a workshop coming on line a week early. That's not even considering the extra alloys/elerium for alien tech.

Finally doing well on that front in my latest playthrough, it's May and I'm stilling getting 3 Meld/canister. It probably helps that I've bagged two supply ships.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

MMania posted:

I really wish speed building just cost meld, it would directly be a 'you're falling behind: have more stuff you can use to catch up' mechanic. Other than getting an uplink up before the end of a month, I can't justify $100(?) extra for a workshop coming on line a week early. That's not even considering the extra alloys/elerium for alien tech.

Finally doing well on that front in my latest playthrough, it's May and I'm stilling getting 3 Meld/canister. It probably helps that I've bagged two supply ships.

Yeah, the trouble with speed building is that it just tightens the bottleneck on alloys/elerium/cash. Getting a workshop up faster doesn't really help me much if now I can't afford the gauss rifle the extra engineers allowed me to build. If I'm falling behind, odds are I am not swimming in alloys anyway.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I agree on speed building kind of sucking since you also increase every other cost by 50%. I would rather spend double the meld and have every other cost be the same.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Posted about it on their suggestions forum.

edit: vvvv Yeah, its only workshops and labs that really benefit, as far as I can tell. And that's pretty much only because they don't cost extra resources.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 16, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Deuce posted:

Yeah, the trouble with speed building is that it just tightens the bottleneck on alloys/elerium/cash. Getting a workshop up faster doesn't really help me much if now I can't afford the gauss rifle the extra engineers allowed me to build. If I'm falling behind, odds are I am not swimming in alloys anyway.

Speed building Workshops pays for itself because extra engineers and adjacency reduces costs, and the earlier you reduce costs the sooner you can build stuff. This effect does not really kick in until you get to at lease one adjacency though.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Haha, Long War just had me start an Exalt mission with Exalt spawning inside the hack zone :allears: Had no choice but to gun for the transmitter instead. Even if I dashed two turns in a row I couldn't get there in time.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...
The LW devs have been saying they may just be able to add new 3D models for guns/armor now. As I posted on the Long War suggestion forums (http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1210174-long-war-feature-requests-and-suggestions/?p=14818948), I'm excited by the possibilities and suggested some potential stuff (silenced weapons/tac shields in particular) that could work as gameplay additions, but the main thing I'm excited by is the idea of just having different kinds of guns for the look-cool/variety factor.

What weapons would you lovely people like to see added to XCOM, either as entirely new weapons or just flavour choices? I'd love to see something like an AK-104 added as a ballistic rifle alternative deco, for example. What's your favourite gun/launcher/grenade design you think would be cool to have in the game?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is there a clear-cut best loadout for MECs? Because it seems like flamethrower and healing spray are far and away better than piston punch and grenade launcher.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is there a clear-cut best loadout for MECs? Because it seems like flamethrower and healing spray are far and away better than piston punch and grenade launcher.

The only time the flamethrower is useful is right when you're encountering Chryssalids for the first time. Limited to two shots, doesn't affect robotic enemies (aka the ones that are a pain in the rear end) and does poo poo damage.

The fist does up to 18 damage, you can use it twice a turn (with the bulletswarm-esque perk) and gives you three extra movement. And it gives you sweet special animations for punching things to death and through cover. :colbert:

Everything else is an arguable tossup. Grenade launcher does upgrade to alien grenades if you research the tech though!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's pretty balanced. The punch has way better damage, unlimited uses, and makes your mec move faster, so it's better against tougher targets than the flamethrower. As for the Launcher, it has better range than a trooper's toss, and it can eventually pack 3 of them for lots of terrain destruction.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Beagle posted:

What weapons would you lovely people like to see added to XCOM, either as entirely new weapons or just flavour choices? I'd love to see something like an AK-104 added as a ballistic rifle alternative deco, for example. What's your favourite gun/launcher/grenade design you think would be cool to have in the game?

A little something for the engineers? A 4-shot pump action grenade launcher. They could use the shotgun reload animation for it!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brainamp posted:

It's pretty balanced. The punch has way better damage, unlimited uses, and makes your mec move faster, so it's better against tougher targets than the flamethrower. As for the Launcher, it has better range than a trooper's toss, and it can eventually pack 3 of them for lots of terrain destruction.

Better range than a trooper's toss?

Hell! It has better range than the MEC's main gun!

The thing's a long range mortar. Not so good on impossible thanks to inflated enemy HP counts, but on classic it's great for priming or popping an enemy pod if you see them before they see you, and great for wrecking cover no matter the difficulty.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I am chest-deep in the blood of my enemies.

Used every explosive, every bullet, and every tactic in the toolbox. A constant flood of cryssalids. I think i managed to kill maybe three zombies before they transformed, and everything else was cryssalids)

Constantly out of ammo, withdrawing, firing. Even had two clutch shots where Zhang took down an unkilled cryssalid with a CCS reaction shot, saving the life of whichever trooper was about to get mauled.
Even the mission name was fitting. 23 cryssalid carcasses for my trouble.
:xcom:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Deuce posted:

23 cryssalid carcasses for my trouble.

That's insane.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Deuce posted:

I am chest-deep in the blood of my enemies.

Used every explosive, every bullet, and every tactic in the toolbox. A constant flood of cryssalids. I think i managed to kill maybe three zombies before they transformed, and everything else was cryssalids)

Constantly out of ammo, withdrawing, firing. Even had two clutch shots where Zhang took down an unkilled cryssalid with a CCS reaction shot, saving the life of whichever trooper was about to get mauled.
Even the mission name was fitting. 23 cryssalid carcasses for my trouble.
:xcom:

Operation unceasing pipe indeed.

Also, I still cannot get the MEC's punch to work. I can get it to attack cover elements, but it doesn't do any damage to enemies. Even if I'm adjacent to them, and not diagonal, and I can hilight them with the reticle, when I click on them it just makes a "can't do" sound effect.

Edit: Also, what's the point of EXALT guns?

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Anonymous Robot posted:

Edit: Also, what's the point of EXALT guns?

Looking perty.

• Locked thread