Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MrAptronym posted:

FFXIII sold really well. http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/final-fantasy-xiii/1078865p1.html

Actually maybe the strong sales were the reason they decided on direct sequels. Its just... so ham handed. I hope FFXV at least braces us for the innevitable return.

And, according to vgchartz (I know, not the most accurate of sources) XIII-2 sold half as well with this selling half as well as that. I'm not sure why they would use sales figures to assume sequels would sell well when XIII was critically panned so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Genocyber posted:

And, according to vgchartz (I know, not the most accurate of sources) XIII-2 sold half as well with this selling half as well as that. I'm not sure why they would use sales figures to assume sequels would sell well when XIII was critically panned so much.

Because like most companies they care more about sales than reviews. I think they were trying to address criticisms of XIII's linearity with XIII-2, without really grasping what makes a good game. Unfortunately, Lightning Returns is almost certainly the best in the trilogy, but it sold so poorly that they will never build off of any of the improvements it made.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

MrAptronym posted:

I actually think some of the god mythology is in the first game? That's not really my issue, I shouldn't have said lore. I seem to remember the gods and all, and they were kind of important to FFXIII since the whole motivation that the Fal'Cie had to do all this warring was to try to wake up Bartholomew or whatever his name is. The pantheon is actually pretty well made and interesting. The names for everything are awful though.

The first game namedrops stuff, but doesn't really get into who and what everything is. You get told what fal'Cie are, and that some of the beings are l'Cie, but the mythology doesn't actually get laid out until this game. Most of it entered the internet consciousness once people started translating the first game's Ultimania because it was in THERE, but the game itself didn't go much past "l'Cie make make people fal'Cie to do poo poo for them, and if they fail they get turned into Cieth. Don't get turned into Cieth."

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I just thought of this. So at the disco, Lightning kills at least 3 people (two party guests and one guard) and absorbs their souls. Presumably this means their souls are "saved" and will be brought back into existence in the new world. If that is the case....why is she even bothering with this quest stuff? Why not just go around killing everyone and absorbing their souls? That seems like a faster and more efficient way of doing things than making sure they are all content or whatever it is we are doing now.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

gatesealer posted:

I just thought of this. So at the disco, Lightning kills at least 3 people (two party guests and one guard) and absorbs their souls. Presumably this means their souls are "saved" and will be brought back into existence in the new world. If that is the case....why is she even bothering with this quest stuff? Why not just go around killing everyone and absorbing their souls? That seems like a faster and more efficient way of doing things than making sure they are all content or whatever it is we are doing now.

And thus Lightning becomes the heroine of the next Drakengard game.

GOD LOVES YOU.
HE SENT ME TO KILL YOU.

wait that was part of drakengard 3's plot wasn't it?

Also FKJ and company, drat you all, right after my girlfriend saw this thread she's dragging me to watch the FF 13-2 LP. :shepicide:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Also FKJ and company, drat you all, right after my girlfriend saw this thread she's dragging me to watch the FF 13-2 LP. :shepicide:

You're trying to make that sound like bad thing for some reason.

The LP really kicks off by episode 19 2

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Chaeden posted:

Lightning has had her emotions removed. She is unchanged she acts like the same exact robot she has this whole time. When you take a persons emotions and they don't change one iota you have FAILED as a character designer. At least hope technically changed in that he's not emo-ing or thinking about stabbing Snow all the time but that was resolved far before this. Lightning is still a woman who has basically no emotions just harm and don't harm modes, who only ever thinks about Serah and how she failed her.

She was quite dynamic in JP XIII and XIII-2. Which is why seeing her being all :geno: was actually surprising. Us filthy gaijins however had to listen to Surly McGrumpypants for all this time so it makes no difference to us.

SE is bad at localizations and voice direction.

StrifeHira posted:

Sever.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

gatesealer posted:

I'm guessing their souls are only saved when that person's quest is completed. It just so happens that that guard fulfilled his duty of dying protecting whatever he was guarding, and therefore his quest was completed. The other 2 guests were just really sad people who didn't much feel like living anymore, so quest complete.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

:stare:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 17, 2014

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
Why even call this a final fantasy game? I think this should be called Lightning 3 or something. Who even plays these games? Why? Is it all just to stare at Lightnings armpits and jerk off? I really just hate everything about these games and wish the people who keep making these get cancer and die. All these lightning games seem to pander to the lonely anime fans who spend all their money on figurines and other useless poo poo. You loving have to pay to get the japanese voices? gently caress you. I cant speak about the actual video game part of this lovely game but it seemed alright. You press buttons to switch things and then do magic. That seemed alright. Its really all the other stuff that makes this game garbage. It looks like poo poo. Level design is poo poo. All the characters designs look like poo poo. Voice acting is lovely. Animations are lovely. The people walking around get stuck into things and fall off things and then disappear. It all just seems like nobody who was making this game cared at all about what they were making. There is no passion or love put into this. Its just another product for kung fu jesus and the others to make fun of and give retards some jerk off material.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lightning is completely devoid of emotion due to jet time lag. She woke up after centuries of slumber, she jumps between time zones and no-time zones, Hope's ramblings could put a brick to sleep, and she's got at least two more weeks of that crap to endure.
:suicide:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Maelaevi posted:

Why even call this a final fantasy game? I think this should be called Lightning 3 or something. Who even plays these games? Why? Is it all just to stare at Lightnings armpits and jerk off? I really just hate everything about these games and wish the people who keep making these get cancer and die. All these lightning games seem to pander to the lonely anime fans who spend all their money on figurines and other useless poo poo. You loving have to pay to get the japanese voices? gently caress you. I cant speak about the actual video game part of this lovely game but it seemed alright. You press buttons to switch things and then do magic. That seemed alright. Its really all the other stuff that makes this game garbage. It looks like poo poo. Level design is poo poo. All the characters designs look like poo poo. Voice acting is lovely. Animations are lovely. The people walking around get stuck into things and fall off things and then disappear. It all just seems like nobody who was making this game cared at all about what they were making. There is no passion or love put into this. Its just another product for kung fu jesus and the others to make fun of and give retards some jerk off material.

Is this where Kung Fu Jesus now has to somehow find a way to make you happy and less insane before he can redeem your soul?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Maelaevi posted:

Jesus christ, dude. I know it's a lovely game, but it's not worth losing your poo poo over it. Chill, take a deep breath.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Maelaevi posted:

You seem awfully mad about this video game!!

If you want an actual answer, if you play video games just for game mechanics and really don't give a poo poo about anything else regarding the game's presentation you'll probably enjoy this one. The schemata system is a genuinely fun and engaging combat system.

The secret about Lightning Returns is that it's actually the best Lightning game. It's just absurdly stupid in all respects.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Lightning is completely devoid of emotion due to jet time lag. She woke up after centuries of slumber, she jumps between time zones and no-time zones, Hope's ramblings could put a brick to sleep, and she's got at least two more weeks of that crap to endure.
:suicide:

She knows, now, absolutely, hearing the white noise that is Nova Chrysalia, that Hope's theory of jet lag is correct: that her mortal soul is leagues behind her, being reeled in on some ghostly umbilical down the vanished wake of the god that brought her here, hundreds of thousands of feet above Bhunivelze. Souls can't move that quickly, and are left behind, and must be awaited, upon arrival, like lost luggage.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure they made XIII-2 (And now this) because they (or whoever's in charge) wanted to. IIRC the FF brand not been that profitable for them in recent years.

They made XIII-2 because XIII's development was a trainwreck that left them with enough art assets to make an entirely new game on the cheap. They actually went through with it because Lightning's voice actor is apparently crazy popular in Japan and FFXIV 1.0 cost them a lot of money. They invested over 400 million dollars into that thing (not counting the money spent unfucking it), and it bombed so hard they had to bring in a new guy to do damage control.

They made Lightning Returns because Toriyama (the creative director) is a gross nerd who wants to gently caress his waifu.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maelaevi posted:

same

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Toriyama? The guy behind Dragon Ball and Chrono Trigger?

E: Nope, seems to be another first name.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Toriyama? The guy behind Dragon Ball and Chrono Trigger?

E: Nope, seems to be another first name.

Yeah Dragonball is Akira Toriyama.

This is Motaomu Toriyama. He made uhhhh...FF12: Revenent Wings, Front Mission: Evolved and uh...The Third Birthd-yeah I'm gonna stop here.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SSNeoman posted:

The Third Birthd-yeah I'm gonna stop here.
I wonder, if he also directed the shower scene.

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
Im alright now. I just got a little upset. I actually thought while watching them battle monsters that this might be a fun game to play. If there was a way to skip all the story stuff and running around doing boring guests I might even considers playing it. I could also just play a game I actually enjoy.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Maelaevi posted:

Im alright now. I just got a little upset. I actually thought while watching them battle monsters that this might be a fun game to play. If there was a way to skip all the story stuff and running around doing boring guests I might even considers playing it. I could also just play a game I actually enjoy.

It happens to the best of us.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah Dragonball is Akira Toriyama.

This is Motaomu Toriyama. He made uhhhh...FF12: Revenent Wings, Front Mission: Evolved and uh...The Third Birthd-yeah I'm gonna stop here.

To be fair, he was the event planner on FFVII and the Event Firector/Scenario Writer on FFX. He directed FFX-2 but I strongly hold that is not a good thing. He also directed a game I have never heard of called Blood of Bahamut. My point is please SE, never make him a director again.

I am just thankful he isn't working on FFXV at all. Not that the people who ARE working on it are a guarantee of success, but it seems to be SE's A-team at least. Plus, its enough of a sausage fest in game that it shouldn't end up as a fan-service dress-up game.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lance Streetman posted:

Jesus christ, dude. I know it's a lovely game, but it's not worth losing your poo poo over it. Chill, take a deep breath.

He reads like someone that wanted to be a fan and was bitterly disappointed that the game didn't work out how he wanted.

Maelaevi posted:

Aaaand you've confirmed it. More jilted fan than cynical observer.

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He reads like someone that wanted to be a fan and was bitterly disappointed that the game didn't work out how he wanted.

Im actually more disappointed in how video games are made in general. Im not a fan of these games and I didnt expect anything from this game. I pretty much expected to see the same kind of game XIII-2 was.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There honestly is a faint tinge of disappointment in this whole thing, at least to me. Let's forget how disappointing the previous XIII games were; This is Final Fantasy, previously King poo poo of JRPGs, doing a game whose structure seems to be a combination of Chrono Trigger and Majora's Mask, with a more active combat engine that seems to be borrowing from Kingdom Hearts.

That is one hell of a ball to drop. Done right this could have been the perfect storm of RPGs, so more painful than the fact they made a bad game is that they screwed this up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh yeah:
I have to share this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVfRoYhvFZQ
It's a retro-spective (haha get it) of 13 and 13-2.
The Caius origin story portrayal in this is hilarious.

It just points how little of importance most events in those games actually are.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 17, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh yeah:
I have to share this:

It just points how little of importance most events in those games actually are.

I hate to say it, but I'd actually play the sixteen bit (heavily edited) versions of the games this shows. Cut out the rambling pretentiousness, the whining angst, reduce the ridiculous costume and stage design, and all the completely irrelevant events and you have a decent SNES Final Fantasy. Though it does still have to work around some things. like Lightning randomly becoming a psychopomp in the Land of Gray was.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 17, 2014

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I think I've began to notice a theme in this trilogy.
The first game was essentially about now being a slave to gods even though they did exactly what god wanted them to do.
But the second game and this game are really about not being able to let go.

XIII-2 events are predicated on the fact that Serah refused to believe here sister was dead and move on with here life, even though as far as any of the characters outside of noel knew she may have very well died and no one has seen her since they saved the world the first time around by dumb luck from a dumb goddess.

This game is that in reverse.
Lightning refuses to move on with her life now that her sister is dead and the game's events are taking place because Galvatron is dangling the fact that he can revive her sister to her like a worm at the end of a fish hook.
Hell the initial cutscene with snow already shows that she really gives two shits about everyone and is only saving souls for what can be percieved as purely selfish reasons.

She is trying to be no one's savior but her own due to her guilt complex.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So we should look at this like Fallout NV, Sierra Madre, not as DMC: Lightning?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh yeah:
I have to share this:

I remember watching my brother play FF13, and he finally gave up and stopped 40 hours later, when they got off Cocoon. They skipped the entire rest of the game after that in that retrospective so I guess he didn't miss anything.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

nendymion posted:

I think I've began to notice a theme in this trilogy.
The first game was essentially about now being a slave to gods even though they did exactly what god wanted them to do.
But the second game and this game are really about not being able to let go.

XIII-2 events are predicated on the fact that Serah refused to believe here sister was dead and move on with here life, even though as far as any of the characters outside of noel knew she may have very well died and no one has seen her since they saved the world the first time around by dumb luck from a dumb goddess.

This game is that in reverse.
Lightning refuses to move on with her life now that her sister is dead and the game's events are taking place because Galvatron is dangling the fact that he can revive her sister to her like a worm at the end of a fish hook.
Hell the initial cutscene with snow already shows that she really gives two shits about everyone and is only saving souls for what can be percieved as purely selfish reasons.

She is trying to be no one's savior but her own due to her guilt complex.

Whether the game is aware of this is a bigger question. The answer will be whatever is stupidest at the time.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, after only playing FF7 and watching Spoony's review of FF13 that made me suffer in pure rage and a foaming mouth at such a stupid game...
Can I expect to feel the same emotions about lightning returns?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I remember watching my brother play FF13, and he finally gave up and stopped 40 hours later, when they got off Cocoon. They skipped the entire rest of the game after that in that retrospective so I guess he didn't miss anything.

Plot-wise, you didn't. Once you're off Cocoon, you need to get back to Cocoon, and then you do after crossing several long areas.

Gameplay wise, you did. That's the most 'non-linear' part of the game, probably the most enjoyable part.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

FeyerbrandX posted:

Plot-wise, you didn't. Once you're off Cocoon, you need to get back to Cocoon, and then you do after crossing several long areas.

Gameplay wise, you did. That's the most 'non-linear' part of the game, probably the most enjoyable part.

Or it would be, if the battle system doesn't poo poo the bed around that point and that game force-feeds you to a bunch of utterly bullshit HP sponge enemies that will take up every random encounter you face from here on out. Enemies will either be trivially easy as they have always been or else be absurdly hard-hitting and difficult to stagger, and one type of enemy will even full-heal itself and force you to do the exact same fight over again except it deals more damage and takes less and it will ALWAYS do this now matter HOW much you staggered it and it's even been launched into the loving air and god loving drat IT FINAL FANTASY

then you climb up a tower that's okay and the boss is easy and then it's BAAAACK to the bullshit hope you beat this enemy in ten minutes or he casts uncurable doom on you that ends the game because gently caress you.

Have fun doing fetch quests.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

So, after only playing FF7 and watching Spoony's review of FF13 that made me suffer in pure rage and a foaming mouth at such a stupid game...
Can I expect to feel the same emotions about lightning returns?

About the plot? Yes. About the actual game, eh maybe not.
And take Spoony with a grain of salt. He has a hate boner for the FF series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

He seems to have a hate boner for everything, even the stuff he likes.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So while we're talking about what an emotionless blob Lighting is, why do people always say Lightning is a female version of Cloud? Cloud in FF7 was a wise cracking rear end in a top hat for most of the game not a brooding emotionless stoic, which is why is whole physiological breakdown in act 2 is such a big deal. Lightning seems way more like a female version of Squall to me. Than again as the FF7 thread has repeatedly pointed out basically no one seems to actually remember FF7 at least not in terms of characterization. There are basically two Clouds at this point, the wisecracking rear end in a top hat from the original, and the brooding obsessed loser from Kingdom Hearts and the EU.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I do take him with a grain of salt, but what I have seen from the game speaks enough for me.

Vorpal Cat posted:

So while we're talking about what an emotionless blob Lighting is, why do people always say Lightning is a female version of Cloud? Cloud in FF7 was a wise cracking rear end in a top hat for most of the game not a brooding emotionless stoic, which is why is whole physiological breakdown in act 2 is such a big deal. Lightning seems way more like a female version of Squall to me. Than again as the FF7 thread has repeatedly pointed out basically no one seems to actually remember FF7 at least not in terms of characterization. There are basically two Clouds at this point, the wisecracking rear end in a top hat from the original, and the brooding obsessed loser from Kingdom Hearts and the EU.

iirc, on one of the retsutalk they talk about that. If you superpose the models of their faces over each other it is basically the exact same.

Also, googling for ff lightning cloud promplty brings up softporn. Thanks, google. Thanks, fanbase.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

Because Cloud no longer is characterized the same way he was in VII. Canonically he's a brooding dumbass, and people think of him only as that because that's the most recent stuff about him.

• Locked thread