Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but I didn't even get out of bed yesterday till like 3 so I just winged it.

Threw in the new radiator to test and patched the broken support brazes with quick steel, seems to have set up just fine.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That is the exact same speedometer that my cb650 uses, I swear.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

13 INCH DICK posted:

It's loving hard hanging a door on your own.
When I worked at a body shop we had a little ghetto jack connected to a rolling tripod thing. The jack connected to a long padded piece of angle iron so it was kinda like a jackable easel. Sit the door in the contraption, line up the door with the jack and rolling wheels, and bolt the door to the car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
^^^ That's awesome

13 INCH DICK posted:

It's loving hard hanging a door on your own.

S'truth, but you know what really sucks to hang, even with help? Fuckin' rear door on a Disco II. Good christ those things are heavy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
New radiator runs even hotter on the freeway than my first one :smith: guess tomorrow I'll be swapping it back and using this one for the core.. With mine, it got hot at idle but cooled off on the freeway due to the airflow and this one just had a slow but steady climb towards the top of the gauge.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

13 INCH DICK posted:

New radiator runs even hotter on the freeway than my first one :smith: guess tomorrow I'll be swapping it back and using this one for the core.. With mine, it got hot at idle but cooled off on the freeway due to the airflow and this one just had a slow but steady climb towards the top of the gauge.

Take the hood off! - Roadkill

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

13 INCH DICK posted:

How often are you on the freeway? The way I get around this city is to avoid i5 at all costs(normally, until I moved to shoreline, but I am going back to greenwood soon). I would leave the new one in unless you have a reason to be on i5 all the time, seems like keeping cold in traffic would be more important.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I take it every day because I've found through trial and error that at the exact times I'm usually on it it's faster than any other route I've found from Ballard to Lake City. And up till yesterday it allowedr me to run cooler than crawling through Greenwood to Aurora.

Today I decided to actually make it so I could change a tire since before I didn't have a spare and the jack had clearly sat in water to the point it became a corroded hunk of metal that was wedged in. Liberal use of a pry bar, wire wheel, and penetrant got it actually out and freed up. Wouldnt trust it for under car work but in an emergency I think it'll do fine. Scraped about a half cup of rust flakes out of the trunk and wiped it down after wire brushing the worst of it off.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ah, didn't realize you moved out of ballard. How far north on lakecity? The best route that comes to mind would be from lakecity, over to meridian, down to 125th, 125th to 3rd nw, then take that cut down behind the QFC on holman to get over to 8th. Ballard is in such a odd spot it seems to take 20min to get to i5 no matter what. And I just avoid i5 at all costs, tho its not as bad now that I have a auto to commute in.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm right around the corner from the 7-11 at the intersection of 145th and Lake City Way, my route home is usually Market to 50th to I5 to 145th, the only times I've ever tried to take anything else it's a parking lot.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Swapped the other radiator back in and at least it's running 'normal' again, decided to replace the :japan: OEM :japan: lower radiator hose while I was at it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
can you do like a mega flush on the spare to try and clean it out?

Or fill it wit CLR or some poo poo for a bit and the flush?

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 15, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
CLR is no beuno on aluminum, at least according to the packaging which I was reading in the checkout line to go flush my radiator.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm a fan of Negromancers move. 8th to 3rd to 145, but I use 145th to get me to greenwood ave so your mileage may vary. gently caress this construction on Holman

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
good thing those old fuckers are copper/brass.

It does work too.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm a fan of Negromancers move. 8th to 3rd to 145, but I use 145th to get me to greenwood ave so your mileage may vary. gently caress this construction on Holman

I hate 145th, so I tend to use 155th usually less traffic on there. Growing up in ballard really makes you learn all the backroads to get anywhere.

13 INCH DICK posted:

I'm right around the corner from the 7-11 at the intersection of 145th and Lake City Way, my route home is usually Market to 50th to I5 to 145th, the only times I've ever tried to take anything else it's a parking lot.

You should definitely check out the crest theater sometime if you have not been there yet. $3 movies and its actually a pretty nice theater. Despite living less than a block away for about a year now I have really been slacking on going there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:japan:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nice. I saw a first gen Celica with a loud as hell exhaust driving over the Fremont Bridge yesterday too. Actually now that I think about it I saw a Civic wagon too. Was full of trash I think. It was a few weeks ago so I forgot.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I love that nissan, I swear I see it everytime I go to that QFC.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Negromancer posted:

I love that nissan, I swear I see it everytime I go to that QFC.

I didn't see any Nissans in the background, but I do like the Datsun next to Dick's Honda. :colbert: :911:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just doing some stuff. Testing out some wheel paint, gonna try to redo the paint in the center of the hub caps too. Also redoing the grill in semi gloss. Getting some chrome polish and possibly new lug nuts all the way around, can't decide if I want to go with the OEM silver look or maybe a gunmetal or black with the chrome rings caps and lugs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
No powdercoaters where you are? They're surprisingly cheap here if you find the right guy and steelies are basically the perfect project for em.

They can even do chrome now I think.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually following the directions on the can just to see how it turns out, I scrubbed the wheel down and prepped it, nice clean dry and applied the coats in the amounts and intervals they wanted, the paint finish itself looks really good and if this doesn't work out I'm only out 7 bucks. So far the results look pretty nice actually.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They can even do chrome now I think.

It's less "chrome" and more "vaguely shiny metal". Easier than polishing, and a lot cheaper / more durable than actual chrome, but it doesn't hold a candle to the real (and very expensive these days) deal.

Believe me, I wish that wasn't the case. Pretty much all of the chrome on the front of my GMC could use a re-do.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

IOwnCalculus posted:

Believe me, I wish that wasn't the case. Pretty much all of the chrome on the front of my GMC could use a re-do.

I'm sure LMC has some reasonably-priahahahaha

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not too bad, the paint didn't even chip off when I put the wheel weight on. I'll let it cure for a day or two, then rotate it onto the car and do the next one, rinse and repeat till done.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Popped the grill back in, only a minor difference but with the weather getting nice I'm really trying to push to get things done and make it look not quite so derelict.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

13 INCH DICK posted:

Popped the grill back in, only a minor difference but with the weather getting nice I'm really trying to push to get things done and make it look not quite so derelict.

Rubbing wet, bunched-up aluminum foil on those overrider brackets (and all of your chrome, for that matter) would get rid of a lot of that surface rust and leave you with a surprisingly shiny surface.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Rubbing wet, bunched-up aluminum foil on those overrider brackets (and all of your chrome, for that matter) would get rid of a lot of that surface rust and leave you with a surprisingly shiny surface.

Which would then rust again just as bad the next time it's left out in the rain. Or you could get a month or so if you wax it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

13 INCH DICK posted:

I'm actually following the directions on the can just to see how it turns out, I scrubbed the wheel down and prepped it, nice clean dry and applied the coats in the amounts and intervals they wanted, the paint finish itself looks really good and if this doesn't work out I'm only out 7 bucks. So far the results look pretty nice actually.

My friend just sprayed his steelies flat black with graffiti spray paint then put black plastic fake audi-ish hubcaps on top, looks alright really.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Which would then rust again just as bad the next time it's left out in the rain. Or you could get a month or so if you wax it.

Yep, same thing as the wheels... they're just going to get dirty again, so why bother.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Yep, same thing as the wheels... they're just going to get dirty again, so why bother.

Dirt is not the same thing as rust.

I live in the northeast. I know what I'm talking about.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, dirt is like hobo vomit, you can always clean it off again.

Rust is more like the IRS, once it decides you owe it something, you're never getting it back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Yeah, dirt is like hobo vomit, you can always clean it off again.

Rust is more like the IRS, once it decides you owe it something, you're never getting it back.

I feel like this should be on some sort of "Wisdom of Kastein" t-shirt series.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
One side done, gonna get some chrome polish and new lug nuts and just brighten things up. Even if the rust comes back I bet it'll look better.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

13 INCH DICK posted:

One side done, gonna get some chrome polish and new lug nuts and just brighten things up. Even if the rust comes back I bet it'll look better.

Wow, it almost doesn't look like a deathtrap now!

So, when are you sellin' it? :v:

seriouspost: i've been following this from the beginning and you're a crazy motherfucker

never change, 13"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Yes this just won't do. You're not allowed to succeed at cars. Sell that now nice car immediately and buy a Biturbo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's one in Fife for $1600 right now....

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of the wheel pictures but I'm really happy how they're turning out.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm not tiring of the wheel pictures, but if i were you i'd pop off some of the trim stuff (the civic text on the trunk, the emblem on the fender, the light rings) and brighten them up as well, but leave the faded paint. It would be an interesting contrast of old and new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The emblems and badges are that chromed plastic stuff and are beyond refurbing, the plastic is brittle and decaying and the chrome has left the badges in places. I've seen some NOS stuff on ebay but it's pricey.

• Locked thread