Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
To be fair, the TX16W was a demonic beast from the pits of despair. Forged, a hate engine; galvanized in the blood of the stillborn... standard Yamaha production line.
Its purpose, only reclaimed for holy pursuit by the work of angels. Its reincarnation, a dangerous portent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Number Two Stunna posted:

To people who use synths with daws- what kind of midi/recording setup do you guys have to be able to use them together?

All of our synths and FX are hooked up to a patch bay, along with a Echo Audiofire 12 (12I/O) soundcard. This way you can easily patch in the synths and FX you want to record. For MIDI I use a Motu Midi-express 128 which allows for 8x16 MIDI channels, so I don't have to daisychain everything together.

KDW
Dec 24, 2004
my title text
I need to replace a key on my beloved Microkorg. How would I go about doing that? Two keys, actually.

For some reason they just kinda get loose and fall off, like baby teeth, but no adult keys grow in their place.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

KDW posted:

I need to replace a key on my beloved Microkorg. How would I go about doing that? Two keys, actually.

For some reason they just kinda get loose and fall off, like baby teeth, but no adult keys grow in their place.

Look up Korg's service department, order your replacement keys, replace your broken keys with the replacement keys.

KDW
Dec 24, 2004
my title text

Sizone posted:

Look up Korg's service department, order your replacement keys, replace your broken keys with the replacement keys.

Ask a dumb question, get a simple answer. Thanks!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Finally managed to update the OS on the ASR-X. The ASR-X tools work if I use a 32 bit platform (though I'm still pissed that I got charged 10$ for shipping for a non-physical product). Still can't get the CFpoweraztecmonster scsi cf reader to work though.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

KDW posted:

Ask a dumb question, get a simple answer. Thanks!

It's only one cord that connects the keyboard to the main circuit board... so while your digging around in there, mine as well mod it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
From my brief time owning a Microkorg I actually think a broken key requires replacing the entire keybed since all the white keys are a single bit of plastic. The repair's nothing arduous though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Cleaner posted:

It's only one cord that connects the keyboard to the main circuit board... so while your digging around in there, mine as well mod it!

I bet it sounds better after added more wood to the sides.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Cleaner posted:

This makes me want to get a MK and then mod it

I will never return to this thread as it is a money sink

Sizone posted:

Honesty dude, a cheapo laptop or a used ipad would be so much less trouble than a hardware sampler.

I have an iPad actually but I wanted something sturdier/more gig-worthy.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

net work error posted:

I bet it sounds better after added more wood to the sides.

It adds alot more bass, and the low-end registers more. Thicker sound overall.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Neat. Finally got around to doing the battery mod on my Casio HT-700. Now that it stores patches without first needing to be filled with d-cells, I might actually get around to patching it. No, I said patching it, not playing it. TRUE TO THE SYNTH.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Does running off batteries vs. a power adapter alter the sound of a TR-606?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Skeletron posted:

Does running off batteries vs. a power adapter alter the sound of a TR-606?

Not that I've ever noticed (above the millions of effects and EQ I apply to mine).

But, try adjusting its tempo knob when the device is externally clocked and pay attention to the hats.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

ynohtna posted:

Not that I've ever noticed (above the millions of effects and EQ I apply to mine).

But, try adjusting its tempo knob when the device is externally clocked and pay attention to the hats.
Hoooly poo poo. Hi-hat release? That's bizarre. Thanks! I had no idea. Now I'm wondering if any of my other synths and drum machines have secret cheat codes they've been hiding this whole time.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

I'll probably throw a sound demo together tonight!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I don't want to make too many "Hey I'm selling poo poo" posts, but I figured I'd post that I posted an ad on Muffs if anyone wants to take a look and more importantly that I've posted all my remaining Euro, including a 104 wide case, for 500 + shipping. That's a $350 case and ~400 of modules (polivoks filter, A-190, Pittsburgh env generator, Doepfer exponential mixer) but mainly I just want them sold before I have to deal with them from Hawaii, so if anyone desperately wants to get into Eurorack this is probably the biggest bang for your buck you're going to get.

Also, for live jam nerds, how important is cue on a mixing board, in your experience?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Sexy as hell. If I had any confidence whatsoever in my soldering skills, I'd buy one of these kits in a second.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Anyone know if there's a program for OSX that lets you upload user wavetables to the Blofeld?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VoodooXT posted:

Anyone know if there's a program for OSX that lets you upload user wavetables to the Blofeld?
Like you've got the sysex files for them already and you want to upload them, or like you want to make your own? Because I think you're poo poo out of luck for the latter.

The former can be done with anything that can send sysex to a midi port. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Like you've got the sysex files for them already and you want to upload them, or like you want to make your own? Because I think you're poo poo out of luck for the latter.

The former can be done with anything that can send sysex to a midi port. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

More the former but possibly the latter down the road. Oh well, I guess it's SysEx Librarian for me then.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also, for live jam nerds, how important is cue on a mixing board, in your experience?

Non-essential: I'm generally too busy churning knobs and slamming faders by ear to burn time fixating upon the production minutiae of individual channels but cue can be really handy for quickly checking via the level readout where an obnoxious noise is (or isn't) coming from (particularly when things get a bit too chaotically semi-modular and feedbacky).

The same applies to all the other live jammers I know and have performed with. One quickly learns the trick of bringing things in slowly, cutting out fast on beat intervals, which controls require a gentle touch, and that repeating mistakes makes them sound intentional.

Then again, only the smallest, cheapest and shittiest of the mixers don't offer cue functionality. You can always bodge it by dedicating an aux channel if its something that works for you.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/4471094959.html

it's waiting, waffle. waiting for you.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Was hoping this was going to be a wavestation.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msd/4470861390.html

done

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

wafffllllllles :getin:
cop the ASR10 instead

Spent the last week giving the OP1 another chance, still only dig on the sampler. The new CWO shifter is pretty sweet though. Probably going to send it back and spend $toomuch on that eurorack keyboard.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Startyde posted:

Spent the last week giving the OP1 another chance, still only dig on the sampler. The new CWO shifter is pretty sweet though. Probably going to send it back and spend $toomuch on that eurorack keyboard.

When did you get it? I bought mine last September and it took me a good four months before I finally actually enjoyed using it. It was my first hardware synth, but I've been using VSTs for a little over a decade and it has (arguably) the worst presets out of anything I've ever used. That being said, as I got better at making my own sounds (and discovering the patches others have made), I can't see myself ever parting with it.

I know it doesn't really play well with other gear, but for me it's not that big of an issue. It more or less fit what I was looking for - a portable DAW that didn't require a computer to use.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Startyde posted:

It's like a giant turd. An XL turd, if you will.

I just grabbed a non-synth instrument anyways and I'm serious about cutting back my synth setup to a small livejam one. I don't even have a Wavestation anymore. :negative:

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
Having an owned both a Microkorg and the XL version briefly, I have to say that the XL was not really a bad synth, although it had those weirdo pseudo-weighted piano keys that made no sense.

Incidentally, I bought the Wavestation VST the other day in addition to the M1(in honour of Waffles). The Korg Legacy plugins are pretty great - I... kind of want a hardware one now. Help me.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

There's an editor out for the TR-8 that sits in your DAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5nEqsEsLRM

I'm pretty bored of my TR-8 already, maybe this will help. Maschine just seems to do everything better.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Had an CS-30 death tonite. Went to a dudes place with my band mate to record some scifi noises for some project. We plugged a bunch of stuff in and a few hours later the synth just dies, there was some scent of burning electronics at some points before. And we recorded none of it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I finally picked up a Proteus 2000 to fill my romper gap. After noticing it had fewer filters than the manual claimed, I found it needed new firmware. Luckily the firmware tool worked on windows 8, and now it's up to date.

There now appears to be an arpeggiator on board. Works pretty well, but there's a mysterious "pattern" option that I can't get to do anything. All 100 user bank entries are blank.

Anyone know how to populate the patterns? There's no hint of the arp in the manual, and my Google-fu has failed me.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

sliderule posted:

I finally picked up a Proteus 2000 to fill my romper gap. After noticing it had fewer filters than the manual claimed, I found it needed new firmware. Luckily the firmware tool worked on windows 8, and now it's up to date.

There now appears to be an arpeggiator on board. Works pretty well, but there's a mysterious "pattern" option that I can't get to do anything. All 100 user bank entries are blank.

Anyone know how to populate the patterns? There's no hint of the arp in the manual, and my Google-fu has failed me.

Apparently it's the same as the one in the E-mu XL-7 Command Station, so try looking for the manual for that.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VoodooXT posted:

Apparently it's the same as the one in the E-mu XL-7 Command Station, so try looking for the manual for that.

On the XL7, there is an Edit User Pattern screen for this. Can't find anything of the sort on the P2K.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Working off the floor sucks

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Could we get some audio demos of that printer?? Curious to hear the difference between that inkjet and the bubble jet I have at home!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Stick all synths in drawers and then just wire it all through a nice patch-bay next to your underwear.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Working off the floor sucks

That's a wonderful fire hazard. :v:

breaks
May 12, 2001

So after however many years Bazille is finally getting a real release. The beta is out and it's free for a month or so and you should probably download it because it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
After a weekend of toying with the P2K's Z-Plane filters, I have to ask: are they a passe relic, cherished for their novelty? I can't find anything any too musical about most of them and the analog emulations sound positively bad at high Q in comparison to the KingKorg.

Maybe I haven't found the right combinations, or maybe the P2K's limited implementation of the Z-Plane system precludes the more interesting applications of them. To my ears, they just don't sound all that good. I haven't found any demonstrations to lead me to believe otherwise. Am I missing something?