Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FizFashizzle posted:

Here in Hyderabad, Modi supporters celebrated the announcement by murdering five Muslims in the old town.

Well, that's just not good at all, and I feel it's my duty to say I Strongly Disapprove.

No, seriously: to get back to the thread title, what could/should we actually do about this to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Well, if you got every Indian to donate to a SuperPAC...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Gujarat vs Kerala models of development, I guess

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

PT6A posted:

Well, that's just not good at all, and I feel it's my duty to say I Strongly Disapprove.

No, seriously: to get back to the thread title, what could/should we actually do about this to fix it?

Pretty sure it's working as intended :getin:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

This isn't necessarily a good thing at all. Indian construction standards outside of the big cities is a joke at best. Even in places like Hyderabad they have 2 or 3 deaths a week due to scaffolding collapsing because they don't know how to lash it properly.

They even passed a law here in AP to spur growth that if a contractor completes 50% of the building, he receives 80% of the agreed upon contract value. At that point they cease construction and demand outrageous sums to finish. The result is you have hundreds of empty skeletons dotting Hyderabad built by contractor who never had any intentions of completing them. They're poorly built and are like unsalvageable, and will probably cost more to tear down than they did to build.

On top of that, it's not like the construction workers get anything out of it other than slave wages. They live in slums around the construction site. Their homes are whatever they can salvage for frames (trees, stolen rebar, whatever) covered in tarps. They're rampant with disease, there's no fresh drinking water or sewage, rapes are endemic, etc.

I'm not advocating letting people starve to spur some communist rebellion or whatever owlbot is advocating. Having completely unskilled labor paid slave wages to live in slums and build useless office buildings with Grover level structural integrity isn't the answer though.

Tell me more about Hyderabad. There's a good chance I'm moving there for work.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

operatives handing them 4,000 rupees

4000, seriously? Isn't that like a month's wages?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torka posted:

4000, seriously? Isn't that like a month's wages?

The minimum wage per month from what I found here is about 2600/month. So a bit more than a month's wage probably.

It's also equivalent to ~$60 here.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 17, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

So it's similar to a person here being offered a couple thousand dollars in cash to vote a certain way. Can't deny I'd have been tempted during my more broke periods.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if I was poor as poo poo (you said they were doing this in slums and poo poo, as in the places where people have near literally nothing?) I'd pretty much vote for whatever stupid crazy party was giving me fat stacks and booze, hard to be mad at anyone but the assholes who used those dudes as pawns there.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Torka posted:

So it's similar to a person here being offered a couple thousand dollars in cash to vote a certain way. Can't deny I'd have been tempted during my more broke periods.

More like a couple hundred perhaps, but yeah the money goes farther over there and they're all poor as hell. Edit: For a rough gauge, in Kolkata 3000 rupees a month was enough to have a family cook and deliver two meals a day. You could probably walk down to the corner and pick up all your meals from a street vendor for ~700 for the month, less balanced meals though. I think I remember reading a news story at one point about a chai wallah and his family living off of ~8000 rupees a month. Thats what Narendra Modi and his family's business was before he got into politics, to sort of frame the rags to riches story that inspired voters and put some wind into Modi's sails.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just in case anyone was wondering, the BJP more than doubled their seat count with a 6.5% swing. They won a huge majority with 31% of the vote. Thanks, FPTP!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

Tell me more about Hyderabad. There's a good chance I'm moving there for work.

Email me. User name at gmail dot com.

Have some Indian Facebook memes.

Rajnikanth: do you want any more seats? Have I given you enough?

Modi: no, there's no opposition left.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 17, 2014

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I actually have a gay friend in India who's more hopeful about Modi. He knows he's not likely to be LGBT friendly, but thinks that an end to coalition governments can only be an improvement, particularly if he focuses on the economy.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

trash squad posted:

This thread has been dormant for a bit, but thought it worth reviving

This was your first and last mistake. Someone should have made a new thread instead of resurrecting this abomination.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Lol bjp. Good luck India, at least in America hardcore religious nationalist nutjobs are a minority.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheBalor posted:

I actually have a gay friend in India who's more hopeful about Modi. He knows he's not likely to be LGBT friendly, but thinks that an end to coalition governments can only be an improvement, particularly if he focuses on the economy.

Your friend is real dumb.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I work in Kuwait, if you're familiar with the region you should realize that means 90% of my coworkers are Indian :v:

From talking with the guys a lot of them are terrified that Modi was voted in, but a lot of these guys are Muslims who left because in their words there are no good careers in India if you are a Muslim. They're basically under the impression that with Modi in charge it's official that not being Hindu is a crime.

I really can't judge accurately because everything I've been told has a definite bias but it does seem like minorities are basically screwed?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Didn't he moderate his tone recently? I guess there is that. Im of the school that people will get sick of religious parties sooner or later and vote them out.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
The poorer and more desperate people are the more likely they are to vote for The Super Muslim Bros. or BJP types but they almost always learn you can't magic your way out of poverty.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Aren't those guys huge nationalist crazies on top of being religious fanatics? This doesn't bode well.

SpannerX posted:

Are you thinking what I think you are thinking? If so, poo poo.

I hope my post didn't come out as a "You who else was an extreme nationalist? That's right."
I'm just worried for people who might be affected by a government that only cares about one set of people, and actively dislike another.

Edit: Oh yeah, Pakistan. Yeah I didn't think about this. :ohdear:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 18, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Aren't those guys huge nationalist crazies on top of being religious fanatics? This doesn't bode well.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I work in Kuwait, if you're familiar with the region you should realize that means 90% of my coworkers are Indian :v:

From talking with the guys a lot of them are terrified that Modi was voted in, but a lot of these guys are Muslims who left because in their words there are no good careers in India if you are a Muslim. They're basically under the impression that with Modi in charge it's official that not being Hindu is a crime.

I really can't judge accurately because everything I've been told has a definite bias but it does seem like minorities are basically screwed?

What is interesting is that I have been told by Indians and historians of modern India that Hindu expats are more likely to be BJP supporters than Hindus in India. I think they were referring to expats who settled in the West, though. The explanations given are normally that the experience of racism and othering gives them a stronger belief in Hindu nationalism because it appears to defend their cultural heritage more stridently (in the same way that having your "different" characteristics highlighted by another group might make you prouder of those characteristics or even chauvinistic about them), or that they get mistaken for Muslims and feel the need to differentiate themselves from them.

I'm not sure if there is any way to actually confirm any of this, because the evidence given to me was that the BJP's biggest donors were wealthy expats, and that doesn't say anything about poor or middle class emigrants. Plus, rich people are more likely to be doing it to try and stimulate economic liberalization than anything else, I feel.

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 18, 2014

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
The Western media is fawning over this guy to an absurd level. "India's Obama", "An India ready to dream big"...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Email me. User name at gmail dot com.

Have some Indian Facebook memes.

Rajnikanth: do you want any more seats? Have I given you enough?

Modi: no, there's no opposition left.

There's something amusing to me that the first speech goes from 8 words to 10, and the second goes from from 16 to 5. Also, I'm not exactly a linguist but I'm pretty sure I see 'Pakistan' in the original and not in the translation.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SpannerX posted:

Yeah, this is not exactly going to bode well for security in the region.

It's quite possible that the next few years might just make the Kargil War and more recent Bombay Bombings look like a warm up lap.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 18, 2014

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Weldon Pemberton posted:

What is interesting is that I have been told by Indians and historians of modern India that Hindu expats are more likely to be BJP supporters than Hindus in India.

Expats everywhere tend to be more nationalistic than people in their home country, that's not just a Hindu/Indian thing. When you live somewhere it's just, you know, there; it's your day to day. When it's the Old Country that you probably sometimes feel homesick for but on the other hand don't spend much time in, it's easier to romanticise it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Badger of Basra posted:

Your friend is real dumb.

I've seen plenty of comments like his friend's on the internet, what does Modi brings to the table economically that makes him so popular?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 18, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I've seen plenty of comments like his friend's on the internet, what does Modi brings to the table economically that makes him so popular?

He was premier of Gujarat and is known for his "Gujarat model" that has lead to economic growth. Spoilers: the Gujarat model is just neoliberalism, and the growth has been very unevenly distributed. Doesn't stop the western media from fawning over him, though.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

He gets lots of praise in the WSJ for being a "maverick" unafraid to sell the public sector to foreign companies or something. Child malnutrition, women's health and many other HDI indicators have gotten worse, and several other states have done as well or better over the past decade. Of course he'll receive uncritical support from business interests in India and abroad.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 18, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

He was premier of Gujarat and is known for his "Gujarat model" that has lead to economic growth. Spoilers: the Gujarat model is just neoliberalism, and the growth has been very unevenly distributed. Doesn't stop the western media from fawning over him, though.

I don't see the "Gujarat model" doing much for the country especially since the high economic growth that was happening there was just part of a local bubble and even then as you said it was unevenly distributed. It is clear why the Western media is enthralled with him.

Anyway as discussed earlier, India needs exports to fuel that type of growth to begin with, and it is unclear what would be none otherwise since domestic consumption is still going to be low. I could Modi's attitude toward religion coupled with his developmental model as a potential recipe for disaster, religious intolerance plus even a greater gap between rich and poor isn't something that mixes well.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 18, 2014

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Owlbot did you figure out what should be done with the Indians after all?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Oh no, Indians are great, it's India as a political entity that (debatably) needs to get its act together. I have no knowledge or anything to contribute on the topic besides an inflammatory and attention-grabbing thread title.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Is the western media fawning over Modi? All I've heard is that he's a religious chauvinist (totally reformed and moved to the center guys, really!) right winger who will likely accelerate the drift towards India becoming stridently antagonistic to American interests.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup, the Economist, neoliberal paper of note, refused to endorse Modi due to his involvement in the anti Muslim pogrom. I'm not sure Western media has been that fawning of him.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

What about the opposing 'Kerala model'? Can someone familiar with the subject elaborate on it a bit?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Berke Negri posted:

Is the western media fawning over Modi? All I've heard is that he's a religious chauvinist (totally reformed and moved to the center guys, really!) right winger who will likely accelerate the drift towards India becoming stridently antagonistic to American interests.

The impression the :siren: Western Media :siren: has given me is that Modi is a worrying right-wing proto-fascist with ties to horrendous bloody riots but that the alternative was a party that has handed down leadership to family members four times so far. Neither choice sounded good to me.

Accurate?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Gort posted:

The impression the :siren: Western Media :siren: has given me is that Modi is a worrying right-wing proto-fascist with ties to horrendous bloody riots but that the alternative was a party that has handed down leadership to family members four times so far. Neither choice sounded good to me.

Accurate?

The Modi article in the New Statesmen by William Dalrymple is the most extensive, detail-oriented piece I've seen out there.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/05/narendra-modi-man-masses

Some highlights

quote:

Modi returned from his pilgrimage and set up a tea cart outside the Ahmedabad bus stand, and it was here that he found a new family: the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) or Association of National Volunteers, which started life in 1925 as a far-right paramilitary organisation.

Like the Phalange in Lebanon, the RSS was founded in direct imitation of European fascist movements, and like its 1930s fascist models it still makes much of daily parading in khaki drill and the giving of militaristic salutes: the RSS salute differs from that of the Nazis only in the angle of the arm, which is held horizontally over the chest. The RSS sees this as an attempt to create a corps of dedicated paramilitary zealots who, so the theory goes, will form the basis of a revival of a golden age of national strength and racial purity. The BJP was founded as the political wing of the RSS and most senior BJP figures have an RSS background, holding posts in both organisations. The RSS and the BJP both believe, as the centrepiece of their ideology, that India is in essence a Hindu nation and that minorities, especially Muslims, may live in India only if they acknowledge this.

Madhav Golwalkar, the early RSS leader still known simply as “the Guru”, was the man who formulated the outlines of the RSS world-view and looked directly to the Nazi thinkers of 1930s Germany. He took particular inspiration from Hitler’s treatment of German religious minorities. “To keep up the purity of the Race and its culture, Germany shocked the world by her purging of its Semitic Race, the Jews,” Golwalkar wrote admiringly in 1938.

“Race pride at its highest has been manifested there. Germany has also shown how well-nigh impossible it is for Races and cultures having differences going to the root to be assimilated into one united whole, a good lesson for us in Hindustan to learn and profit by . . . The foreign races in Hindustan must either adopt the Hindu culture and language, must learn to respect and hold in reverence the Hindu religion, must entertain no ideas but those of glorification of the Hindu race and culture . . . or may stay in the country wholly subordinated to the Hindu nation, claiming nothing, deserving no privileges, far less any preferential treatment – not even citizen’s rights.

quote:

Modi took office on 7 October 2001. He had been chief minister only four months when, on 27 February, a party of Hindutva activists, returning from Ayodhya, where they had been holding a tenth-anniversary celebration of the destruction of the Babri Masjid, were caught in a burning wagon as their train stopped in Godhra station. Fifty-nine people were burned to death. A subsequent investigation found that the fire started by accident, due to a malfunctioning gas cylinder, but Modi, without evidence, immediately announced that it was a Pakistani-Muslim conspiracy. He called a statewide strike and had the burned bodies of the Hindutva activists paraded around Ahmedabad while he made a series of incendiary speeches.

The following day, a huge mob of Hindu militants, armed with petrol bombs, iron rods and swords, gathered outside the Gulbarg Society, a residential complex in an upper-class Muslim area, home to a former Congress MP, Ehsan Jafri. Seeing that the police were observing the mob but making no attempt to control or disperse it, Jafri began calling round his contacts and begging for help. According to several survivors, Modi was among those he called. “After calling Modi, Jafri was totally depressed,” Imtiyaz Pathan, an electrician who had taken refuge in the house, told the Independent. “When I asked him what had happened, he said, ‘There will be no deployment of police.’ ” According to Jafri’s widow, Zakia, Modi taunted her husband and expressed surprise that he was still alive.

Shortly afterwards, at around 3pm, Zakia Jafri watched in horror from her balcony as rioters marched her naked husband from their home and chopped off his fingers, hands, arms and head, then tossed the body on an open pyre. All the while the police looked on without intervening, telling victims, “We have no orders to save you.” An investigative magazine later caught several ringleaders on camera claiming that the chief minister had approved the attacks: “Modi had given us three days to do whatever we could,” one of them boasted.

TLDR; yes he's a fascist, but one smart enough to tone it down for the purpose of not scaring off international business.

edit: and yes your assessment the situation re: the Gandhi family is generally correct.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 19, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Is that TLDR your assessment of Modi or the article because the excerpts you posted basically painted him as "hindu nazi monster". If in the end that article came to the conclusion of your TLDR I would be shocked at the cynicism of the author.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Berke Negri posted:

Is that TLDR your assessment of Modi or the article because the excerpts you posted basically painted him as "hindu nazi monster". If in the end that article came to the conclusion of your TLDR I would be shocked at the cynicism of the author.

Both my assessment and the author's. He also includes a lot about Modi's general politics and how he's toned it down recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Berke Negri posted:

The article in question does not appear to take a side on Modi. It appears even-headed and incorporates the differing views on Modi amongst India's populace.
The article also paints Modi as legitimately trying to advance India as a Hindu world power and not some cynical rabble-rouser that is willing to intentionally sink India economically or irradiate India and Pakistanto pursue ethnic grudges.

Even if Modi is a trainwreck, there are limits to the damage he can do:

New Statesman posted:

Others take comfort in the idea that India has many constraints that will slow down any attempt Modi may make to turn the prime minister’s office into some autocratic powerhouse. India has, after all, a pugnacious press and an active judiciary. It is a hugely diverse country and its history shows that, in the end, all its rulers need to embrace that diversity in order to govern effectively. “He wants to be in power for a long time,” the veteran editor Shekhar Gupta was recently quoted as saying. “[At 63] he is young by Indian standards, and that is not going to work with a purely polarising agenda. What works in Gujarat does not work in the rest of India.”
Remember BJP got a majority with only 31% of the vote. .

quote:

Here lies the one big surprise the election may yet hold. For the most important trend in Indian politics over the past 20 years has been the apparently irreversible rise of strong regional parties as both Congress and the BJP have lost a growing number of seats to strongmen ruling through an alphabet soup of local party acronyms: the TMC in West Bengal, the BJD in Orissa, the DMK and AIADMK in Tamil Nadu, and so on. If Israeli politics is increasingly about small religious parties gaining a disproportionate degree of influence by controlling small vote banks that can swing elections and decide the balance of power, the same is true of the regional parties in India. In the event, for all the media excitement about the rise of Modi and the fall of the Nehru-Gandhis, this election could be about the less glamorous and more complex story of an India where the regional tail is increasingly wagging the federal dog.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 19, 2014

• Locked thread