Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Just flew two formation flights in a King Air 200. Of all the wacky things I've done in pilot training, this may have been the wackiest. (Its a Navy trainer for the obvious "why" question)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Under CNN's "the Latest"

"Jet Drops 600 feet in 1 minute"

I don't even...

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Rickety Cricket posted:

Under CNN's "the Latest"

I don't even...

Plane does thing, news at 11 RIGHT NOW 24/7! Now with PiP coverage of the Kardashians sunbathing because that's extremely relevant to your lives!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Under CNN's "the Latest"

I don't even...

wtf, what kind of reckless pilots are these airlines hiring these days?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

At this very moment there's a plane near Seattle descending at a blistering 1500 feet per minute! Someone call CNN!

Fake edit: Oh god it's over 1600, won't someone think of the children!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rickety Cricket posted:

Under CNN's "the Latest"

I don't even...

I assume its referring to this? https://medium.com/medium-long/c2f8d68a917c

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
From now on all commercial flights must be greater than 3000 miles and follow a ballistic trajectory to ensure maximum passenger comfort and safety.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

6 miles off of Hawaii and he's not under positive control? Whats the story here? I can't decipher from the article because its been written in "scare people about airplanes" language.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Bob A Feet posted:

6 miles off of Hawaii and he's not under positive control? Whats the story here? I can't decipher from the article because its been written in "scare people about airplanes" language.

From what I saw in the workplace's break room on CNN, a TCAS RA between two airliners

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't remember reading about the situation back when it happened, but controller/pilot error could have been a factor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah its a pretty painful read especially since he seems to think hes an expert on the subject now that hes spent 5 minutes reading about it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

If I read this whole thing am I going to get mad? Because just from the first paragraph alone in an article about an event where TCAS did what it was supposed to then scrolling down and seeing :siren: TENERIFE :siren: makes me feel like I'm going to get mad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

If I read this whole thing am I going to get mad? Because just from the first paragraph alone in an article about an event where TCAS did what it was supposed to then scrolling down and seeing :siren: TENERIFE :siren: makes me feel like I'm going to get mad.

Depends, do you get mad or laugh at people that think they understand things after talking to somebody for five minutes and reading a couple of wikipedia articles?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The article is basically "I was on a flight that successfully avoided (due to TCAS doing what it's supposed to) what might have been a collision and ANY MOMENT PLANES WILL START SMASHING INTO EACHOTHER and the sky will rain bodies like that episode of Breaking Bad because there isn't a government agency specifically keeping track of every single plane on the entire planet simultaneously and the government isn't individually slapping the cocks of every pilot who makes a mistake and the whole system relies on evil unreliable automation which (ignoring the fact I totally credit it as saving my life at the beginning of the article) is totally going to kill everyone!"

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

The guy that wrote that article is that guy that tries to explain to you everything thats happening when your plane is delayed or you hit turbulence and you wish he would shut up.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

The guy that wrote that article is that guy that tries to explain to you everything thats happening when your plane is delayed or you hit turbulence and you wish he would shut up.

I was on a commercial flight arriving into ATL at night and I had the most spectacular view of the traffic pattern with at least 10 or 15 other airliners on approach as we flew past the airport on downwind. The person next to me was extremely nervous about flying and said, "I'll be ok as long as we don't make any more big turns near the ground now." and I debated with myself for about half a second before telling him the bad news.

I couldn't help myself.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

DNova posted:

I couldn't help myself.

I just hope you prefaced it with "...well then you're going to love this!"

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

What's that little hatch on top between the engines for?

Edit: CRJ200

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
APU inlet?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

ausgezeichnet posted:

APU inlet?

As a CRJ200 driver, yes that is the APU inlet. It closes when the APU is off to prevent APU turbine windmilling in flight.

That APU is a POS. In the summer the logic board gets hot (imagine that) and won't let the APU start. They found the constant off/on cycles were harder on it so now they don't want us to shut them off, after YEARS of telling us to turn them off ASAP or not to start them on landing. It should be noted that this airplane has zero bleed air at ground idle so there is ZERO air movement or air conditioning.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 18, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Pretty sure that's the thing that limits them to 250kts while at the front of a line of about 6 other arrivals.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rickety Cricket posted:

Under CNN's "the Latest"

I don't even...

Somebody call Schumer and Sully and get them on the legislative war path! We can't have such dangerous operations when our children are at risk!

Bob A Feet posted:

I was waiting for a connection at ATL the other night and overheard the following from a group of misconnects waiting in line behind me, with my educated responses posted below:

"The screen shows all those flights (DL, AF, KL, VA logos rotating) going to Columbus. There must be seats on at least one of them!"

-Those airlines all sell seats on this Delta flight and the screen indicates the respective flight number for each under which this flight operates. There's only one plane.

"I arrived at the gate just as they were closing the door and they couldn't hold the flight 5 minutes for us to get on!"

-Your rear end didn't get there in time for whatever reason. Other people who were in the situation you are now got your seats.

"How are we supposed to know if we're gonna make this???"

-You see those screens overhead? Those provide the information you're seeking. Turn around, interpret them, and listen to the PA explanations of each. All your wildest dreams may come true. Plus, this 737 is smaller than the one you missed earlier. YMMV

"The pilots said they were trying to make up time but I think that was just crap."

-Wanted to say my inbound took a five minute delay and still got there on time, but I bit my tongue.

My education dollars providing a public service.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

Pretty sure that's the thing that limits them to 250kts while at the front of a line of about 6 other arrivals.

Nope. Even with the door deferred open the limit is 300 KIAS (unless its running).

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

fknlo posted:

They should have separate but equal facilities for props and prop like aircraft.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AWSEFT posted:

As a CRJ200 driver, yes that is the APU inlet. It closes when the APU is off to prevent APU turbine windmilling in flight.

That APU is a POS. In the summer the logic board gets hot (imagine that) and won't let the APU start. They found the constant off/on cycles were harder on it so now they don't want us to shut them off, after YEARS of telling us to turn them off ASAP or not to start them on landing. It should be noted that this airplane has zero bleed air at ground idle so there is ZERO air movement or air conditioning.

There's also an opening at the base of the tail. What's that for?

Is opening that hatch to enable windmilling part of a total power loss procedure?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Is opening that hatch to enable windmilling part of a total power loss procedure?

I thought the total power loss procedure in a CRJ200 was to make sure not to tell anyone, make sure you're going too slow for the engine cores to continue to spin, trade seats with the copilot and then stall out and crash into a subdivision.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the total power loss procedure in a CRJ200 was to make sure not to tell anyone, make sure you're going too slow for the engine cores to continue to spin, trade seats with the copilot and then stall out and crash into a subdivision.

Not that this hasn't been covered enough already, but this accident makes my loving blood boil. The so-called pilot literally doesn't know how flying works, down to the most elementary level.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The ferry flight in which they try to get to FL410 or something right?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AWSEFT posted:

Nope. Even with the door deferred open the limit is 300 KIAS (unless its running).

So what is it that limits them to 250kts? I'm sure a Waterski pilot can tell me since something like 25% of them that I deal with are restricted to this.

Minclark posted:

They should have separate but equal facilities for props and prop like aircraft.

We do have different procedures for turboprops going into KSTL. I'll usually call approach and get something worked out if the slow guy is really going to mess things up.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Jealous Cow posted:

I've never flow the 200 but on the 700 it's an air intake for hydraulic cooling and a ram air intake for cabin ventilation. It may also be used for something to do with the packs (pre cooling?) but I'm having a brain fart and can't remember at the moment.

Edit, pack cooling:

On my iPad, can't tell if that image is table breaking or not. Will check when I get to a real PC.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 18, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The "pilots go full retard, back plane into subdivision" crash was on a Q400.

The "let's join the FL410 club and turn our plane into a glider" crash was on an empty CRJ and was the only fatal 121 crash since 1990 to involve a pilot with less than 1500...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

The "pilots go full retard, back plane into subdivision" crash was on a Q400.

The "let's join the FL410 club and turn our plane into a glider" crash was on an empty CRJ and was the only fatal 121 crash since 1990 to involve a pilot with less than 1500...

Pinnacle 3701 crashed next to some houses, Colgan crashed into someone's house.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Let's not forget Conair 5191 which took off from the wrong runway, which was somehow the controllers fault.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

Let's not forget Conair 5191 which took off from the wrong runway, which was somehow the controllers fault.

Actually I think you'll find that it was actually the airport's fault for having construction going on and not making sure that comair had an up to date chart. (whats a NOTAM?)

Also Comair got a judge to rule that they didn't have to pay punitive damages because they apparently weren't liable for their pilots' extreme incompetence.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

It vents air into the aft equipment bay which houses a few systems (like hydraulics, ram air pack cooling).

Nope. That vent is actually not tied to the APU at all (other than the APU inside its fireproof box sits in the aft equipment bay).

Total loss of power would lead to ADG (Air driven generator) deployment.

fknlo posted:

So what is it that limits them to 250kts? I'm sure a Waterski pilot can tell me since something like 25% of them that I deal with are restricted to this.
Oh TSA......... Maybe it's some kind of company fuel saving thing. Do they say that is normal speed?

I know everyone flies the same airplane many different ways (Our checklists are all COMPLETE different). Our profile is 290/.74 (but 290/.70 is more realistic when loaded) in the climb/descent and 300/.74 in cruise.

Edit 2: I will say this, if Cleveland gives me 300 knots, then 250, then 320, then 250, then finally normal speed 30 miles from a 250 speed restricted fix, I'm not speeding up again damnit.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 18, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AWSEFT posted:

Oh TSA......... Maybe it's some kind of company fuel saving thing. Do they say that is normal speed?

No, it will be posted in their remarks as 250kts max. I've asked them about it on frequency as well as a guy I know that flies for them, and I'm pretty sure they've told me it's because of an APU door. There's also something that's constantly wrong with them that limits them to FL250 as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

No, it will be posted in their remarks as 250kts max. I've asked them about it on frequency as well as a guy I know that flies for them, and I'm pretty sure they've told me it's because of an APU door. There's also something that's constantly wrong with them that limits them to FL250 as well.

Confirming this. Had three that were speed restricted, and one altitude restricted, just today.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I believe the proper conclusion is to burn all CRJ200's. Passengers hate them, ATC hates them...

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

fknlo posted:

Also limits them to 100ft hits in the climb.

fknlo posted:

Oh wait, we are serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aero737 posted:

I believe the proper conclusion is to burn all CRJ200's. Passengers hate them, ATC hates them...

My first CR2 trip was in 6th grade, MCO-FLL. Back THEN when I was 5' tall, I had to lean forward to look out the window. I'm only 5'4" now and they still suck as a passenger.

At least they sort of fixed things on the -700 and -900, but Embraer still has them beat.

• Locked thread