Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

and twitch is a niche site for james which will always have a smaller potential total addressable market than youtube did (and demographics and advertisers similar to spike tv)

this is basically amazon buying comixology or zappos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

theadder posted:

fishmechs connection to wikipedia seems to have been slowed

maybe pay for a fast lane!?

fishmech neutrality pls

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
whenever i tried watching anything on twitch the connection's never been stable so i never bothered watching anything or going there

at the same time i don't really give as many fucks about video games these days so

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cremnob posted:

this is basically amazon buying comixology or zappos

amazon tried to kill zappos then gave up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

watching people play video games, yeah thats what i wanna do

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

in 2006 youtube was like a few million users and 360x144 monophonic videos and a practical 9 minute video length limit

the numbers change but the bitrate remains the same

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

whenever i tried watching anything on twitch the connection's never been stable so i never bothered watching anything or going there

at the same time i don't really give as many fucks about video games these days so

literally the only thing of note out of twitch other than neck beards streaming games was a game of pokemon controlled by the comments

so you didn't miss much

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i guess they raise like a million for charity each year so there's that

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

they being other people, not twitch (i think twitch pitched in a few thousand)

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
ooh is this where we get upset about people donating to child's play now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
isnt the whole deal with twitch that it's embedded in game consoles so it can pull in demo data from there?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rotor posted:

isnt the whole deal with twitch that it's embedded in game consoles so it can pull in demo data from there?

well yeah but that only just happened at the end of last year with the xb1 and ps4.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Install Windows posted:

well yeah but that only just happened at the end of last year with the xb1 and ps4.

like i dont know poo poo about whatever but having all the data from everyones console seems like a big chunk of stuff that goog was missing out on and $1bn doesn't seem all that crazy when it comes to something like that

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
that's not really how their api works on the pc at least. its just pushing h264 frames to their ingest servers. theres very little data to be had there.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

was mainly for people streaming pc games for various reasons (fraps+youtube sucks, transcoding yourself sucks, watching in raeltime helps teamwork) that youtube didn't allow because video games are art and tehrefore copyright violation, unlikely fully 80% of youtube's other illegal content which is a-okay cause it gets them paid

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
that was vimeo that was anti-games videos. youtube didn't have streaming except for partners until relatively recently. call of duty on the 360 had streaming to youtube built in once it went relatively public.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spongeh posted:

that's not really how their api works on the pc at least. its just pushing h264 frames to their ingest servers. theres very little data to be had there.

I have my doubts and even if that is the case it wont be for much longer

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

spongeh posted:

that was vimeo that was anti-games videos

well poo poo

the fraps complaint still stands though cause gently caress that garbage

also i'm the isp with 3mbps up that can't play and stream a game at the same time

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
it is 100% the case right now on the pc, i've used their native integration api. there is some limited metadata that you can optionally provide for stuff like their game directory. however sony is primarily partnered with ustream, and microsoft is obviously very against letting google datamine their consoles, so i'd expect sony/ms to drop twitch before they give in to their data collection demands.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

flakeloaf posted:

well poo poo

the fraps complaint still stands though cause gently caress that garbage

also i'm the isp with 3mbps up that can't play and stream a game at the same time

yea fraps is shockingly bad although i guess most of that is disk io, although i've had way better performance saving local videos with obs. part of it was tools like xsplit/obs starting to come out, though. twitch doesn't have any capture software of its own though, they used to reccomend adobe media manager or whatever stupid crap adobe has for flash media servers

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

spongeh posted:

that was vimeo that was anti videos.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rotor posted:

like i dont know poo poo about whatever but having all the data from everyones console seems like a big chunk of stuff that goog was missing out on and $1bn doesn't seem all that crazy when it comes to something like that

i don't know about all the data, but the streaming in the new consoles definitely at least indicates what games streamer types enjoy which is useful on its own

the question to be seen is if this leads to the youtube way winning out (as happened against google video) or to the current youtube streaming way dying out to the twitch method .

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spongeh posted:

it is 100% the case right now on the pc, i've used their native integration api. there is some limited metadata that you can optionally provide for stuff like their game directory. however sony is primarily partnered with ustream, and microsoft is obviously very against letting google datamine their consoles, so i'd expect sony/ms to drop twitch before they give in to their data collection demands.

Oh. I thought the ps4 used twitch too?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

watching people play video games, yeah thats what i wanna do

http://www.foster.com/pdf/RiseOfESportsWhitePaper-FosterPepper.pdf

quote:

Who watches competitive gaming? ... Even more
astonishing, over 32 million people tuned in to
watch the final match, both online and on TV
networks in China and Korea. This marked a
fourfold increase in finals viewership from the
previous year. That level of participation might
not compare with the 108 million 2013 Super
Bowl viewers, but it eclipsed the audiences of
the deciding games in the 2013 Stanley Cup
(8 million), World Series (18 million) and NBA
Finals (26 million). With competitive gaming
being a recent phenomenon that has yet to
fully saturate mainstream American culture,
there is every reason to believe the viewership
– and the revenue it brings – will continue to
grow at an astonishing rate.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

rotor posted:

Oh. I thought the ps4 used twitch too?

twitch is an option but ustream was their main partner. i don't know if they nudge you toward ustream in the ui or anything, but for a little while it was the only choice

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the chinese and koreans arent people cmon

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Install Windows posted:

don't forget new nvidia cards too. shadowplay is p. nice

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
why would i wanna watch other sentinent beings play football? oh, cus they're better at it than I'd ever be. but that doesn't mean i don't enjoy the sport.

this is why people watch game streamers. oh, and for their personalities (which are 99% all horrible).

Zam Wesell fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 19, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

please dont imply that people who play starcraft 2 professionally are actually people

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Cygni posted:

please dont imply that people who play starcraft 2 professionally are actually people

edited for clarity

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Granbar posted:

edited for clarity
did cygni ninja-edit your quote edit or did you forget to actually change anything

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

did cygni ninja-edit your quote edit or did you forget to actually change anything

yep

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

a small toddler walks out of the gooleplex's front doors. a hoard of journalists stand waiting with microphones and pen pads. he must be some kind of savant, they think. or maybe a genetically engineered super googler, created right in Google Labs. after his short legs carry him the length of the sidewalk, he pauses to speak.

"i fawted"

one reporter vocalizes his disgust. "pfft. what? what's with these guys?"

he looks around him for the confirmation of his peers. but no ones there. the new york times is in a ball pit. gizmodo is hailing the free ice cream truck, so he can put milk shake flavoured ice cream on a bacon donut.

"these guys are amazing" says one reporter as they wave good bye to the google campus. "they're absolutely going to crush apple."

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

i edited my own original post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im the sentinent beings in the edit then i guess

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Granbar posted:

grats

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Granbar posted:

theadder posted:

d'oh!

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

theadder posted:

that's nice

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
professional casters covering professional tournaments hits the sports action drama buttons pretty effectively for me. the experience is different from the real sports i watch, but then again, those real sports feel different from each other, too. i'd say the biggest factor is probably just not having arbitrarily-assigned team allegiances.

professional casting is still amateurish, but productions are noticeably improving. there's still something of a divide between commentators who have any talent at broadcasting and commentators who know what they're talking about, but welcome to professional sports broadcasting, gently caress joe buck and it's a beautiful day here in wiskokie at the 3M sports pavilion brought to you by 3M. i don't know if any casters are actually making a living, though.

i don't know why people would tune in to watch random idiots streaming except extreme loneliness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rjmccall posted:

professional casters covering professional tournaments hits the sports action drama buttons pretty effectively for me. the experience is different from the real sports i watch, but then again, those real sports feel different from each other, too. i'd say the biggest factor is probably just not having arbitrarily-assigned team allegiances.

professional casting is still amateurish, but productions are noticeably improving. there's still something of a divide between commentators who have any talent at broadcasting and commentators who know what they're talking about, but welcome to professional sports broadcasting, gently caress joe buck and it's a beautiful day here in wiskokie at the 3M sports pavilion brought to you by 3M. i don't know if any casters are actually making a living, though.

i don't know why people would tune in to watch random idiots streaming except extreme loneliness

oh. i dont watch sports because its horrifyingly boring unless you're completely wasted

• Locked thread