Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Teddie's like if an impressionable five year old grew up only seeing the game's dungeons and shadows (aka hosed up weird poo poo + teen sex issues) and thought it was perfectly normal.

e: vvv How do you keep doing this by accident??

Looper fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Looper posted:

Teddie's like if an impressionable five year old grew up only seeing the game's dungeons and shadows (aka hosed up weird poo poo + teen sex issues) and thought it was perfectly normal.

That sounds like the perfect combination to create a psychopath. Perhaps even someone who might murder people. Hmmm...

*EDIT* Welp, i just went into a relationship with Chie, i guess i shall be the massive rear end in a top hat for this playthrough.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 19, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* Welp, i just went into a relationship with Chie, i guess i shall be the massive rear end in a top hat for this playthrough.

You might as well go romance everyone at this rate, including the non-party member ones like the Sun link. :getin:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Nondevor posted:

You might as well go romance everyone at this rate, including the non-party member ones like the Sun link. :getin:

:getin:

I know i am going to feel like absolute garbage for doing it, but i already screwed up so many things. I accepted Rises request (why did she call before Chie/Yukiko????) for the festival. Everything feels screwed up and weird.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Seriously dude

Stop and READ. The dialogue option for Chie is LITERALLY "will you be my girlfriend"

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ahahahaha oh my god the broken hearts that are going to be left in your wake, you monster.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seriously dude

Stop and READ. The dialogue option for Chie is LITERALLY "will you be my girlfriend"

Which i fully accepted since she was who i wanted originally. I don't mind breaking Yukiko's heart. I also think at some point i entered into a relationship with Rise, due to how she has been acting lately, but i don't recall it.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

UberJumper posted:

Which i fully accepted since she was who i wanted originally. I don't mind breaking Yukiko's heart. I also think at some point i entered into a relationship with Rise, due to how she has been acting lately, but i don't recall it.

For your sake, you should internally consider Chie to be the only "real" girlfriend. It will make the pain hurt much, much less.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Oh yeah, the way you said it you made it sound like you romanced Chie accidentally. Which I think would have been a first. As for Rise eh she's always flirty. The lovers trigger for her is fairly early on, it's caused by hugging her around S Link level 5 or so.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Oh yeah, the way you said it you made it sound like you romanced Chie accidentally. Which I think would have been a first. As for Rise eh she's always flirty. The lovers trigger for her is fairly early on, it's caused by hugging her around S Link level 5 or so.

Oh poo poo really? You trigger a relationship around level 5? :wtc:

Prozach posted:

For your sake, you should internally consider Chie to be the only "real" girlfriend. It will make the pain hurt much, much less.

You make it sound like the game is going to break my heart :smith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Given that Rise is BY DEFAULT super interested in you it makes sense the trigger would be earlier for her I guess :shrug:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

UberJumper posted:

If not that, it'll insult you a lot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just so theres no confusion, UberJumper, nothing in the story references or factors in your party member s.link levels at all. Rise is just like that no matter what.

e: Well that's what I get for not hitting refresh.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Looper posted:

I think it's mostly that Yosuke is a bad influence on the kid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

UberJumper posted:

I think you trigger her romance at level 7 or 8 actually. Definitely not 5. Rise's probably just acting that way cause she's always flirty and stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, in Golden Rise will always invite you to the festival, even if you haven't romanced her. I think it was because it was nearly impossible to get that scene with her in the original, since there wasn't that much time since she joined.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, in Golden Rise will always invite you to the festival, even if you haven't romanced her. I think it was because it was nearly impossible to get that scene with her in the original, since there wasn't that much time since she joined.

Explains why I got 2 texts instead of 1 that time. poo poo was confusing.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

UberJumper posted:

If you really must romance everyone, I'll give you two tiny spoilers: For ai, who you already met, don't rush things and for someone you'll meet later on You kinda sorta have to really make it obvious you're interested in her. there's multiple flags you need to set in dialogue in her S-link running up to S-link 9 or so, when you can reveal your feelings to her.

If you want to just wing it then that's fine, but if you're curious and want to date absolutely everyone, these two S-links are the only one you can screw up if you don't know what you're doing. I know I did.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In my most recent playthrough, I went with Ai as my girlfriend and it was surprisingly difficult to get moving fast enough to go to the festival with her.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Uberjumper, in future, don't accept the first text you get, wait for the one you want.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I just started a newgame+ with the only bonuses coming from the fact this is a newgame+ file. It is proving to make everything more interesting but what I am really enjoying is the speedrun difficulty I have chosen (as in every does more damage and gets more exp/yen) and it is making combat a lot of fun.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

UberJumper posted:

:getin:

I know i am going to feel like absolute garbage for doing it, but i already screwed up so many things. I accepted Rises request (why did she call before Chie/Yukiko????) for the festival. Everything feels screwed up and weird.
And you even missed the new Golden content where you could take Yukiko or Chie to the festival (and they even have special dialog if you're dating them at the time).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think I like it better when you date a non team member in that scenario. They all just get suspicious of one another afterwards. I think Yosuke figures out it was Chie in her version of events. Rise and the band girl are the only two I have left to go through.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 19, 2014

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Been playing this on and off since late last year (PS2 version) and I'm genuinely surprised as to how much I'm enjoying it. Went into it completely blind not knowing what to expect and (I know this sounds weird in a game where a talking multicoloured bear unzips himself to reveal a little naked blonde boy or where the 'end boss' is a giant sea mine eyeball that leaks fog) I'm actually genuinely impressed at how reserved it is compared to other games. It doesn't rush itself or try to ramp up the stakes immediately (a trap which a lot of games fall into) - the story is an interesting little mystery which is interesting and exciting because of the context of the setting and characters. When the stakes do get ramped up you feel it - the game is paced so well that you feel more connected to the main character's routine and objectives. Wasn't expecting to like the characters but they've all grown on me, even Yosuke. Yukiko is kind of bleh though.

Anyway I've been playing this for ~63 hrs according to my savefile and I've probably got a couple more to go since I decided to do the true ending under the impression that it'd be a different cutscene or something, not a whole extra chapter to the plot, the reveal of the true villain and a whole other dungeon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I usually go with:

MC: Hard Motherfucking Boiled
Yosuke: MIB
Chie: Midwinter Yaso
Yukiko: Velvet Room
Kanji: Midwinter Yaso with that awesome purple sweater
Teddie: Velvet Room
Naoto: MIB

Clearly dressing Kanji as Marilyn Monroe is the One True option. Chie's gotta have the tracksuit and Naoto's gotta be Sherlock Holmes.

As far as I'm concerned there are no other costumes for the main character than hard boiled. Unless you're going with the full team Power Rangers costumes for the after battle poses.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fangz posted:

Uberjumper, in future, don't accept the first text you get, wait for the one you want.

I am worried if i ignore someone then nobody is going to contact me :cry:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like giving MC the Cheerleader uniform, if only to make him match his Persona.

Also I should really finish my second playthrough, but the thought of returning to a game where I hosed over a max link NG+ because I forgot to pay attention to Death (aka THE EASIEST loving LINK TO MAX) by 1 level really dampens my enthusiasm. Made the same mistake with vanilla P4, which just makes it worse.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bath towels for everyone, no girls allowed. Maximum ambiguously gay protagonist. :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The bikinis for the girls are hilariously some of the most expensive costumes to buy. They're really punishing creep Yu.

So I had to kill some extra golden hands to finance those purchases.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Deltasquid posted:

The bikinis for the girls are hilariously some of the most expensive costumes to buy. They're really punishing creep Yu.

So I had to kill some extra golden hands to finance those purchases.

They don't even reveal much if you did want that. Unless they're the pageant outfits. Nevermind, that was just the show. I dunno, I actually never bothered with costumes in my first playthrough. I just got the kung fu Chie outfit from Fox and thought "Eh, good enough".

Although Bruce Lee/Tomoe Chie would be pretty cool.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The absolute hardest costumes to get are the Magical/Fighting/Coronet armors. One of them requires fishing for the guardian, trading for the mondo stone (which requires fishing for others first), then using it to buy an accessory for Kashiwagi (actually one of Teddie's items.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Naoto's female uniform is kind of a pain as well, for obvious reasons.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Dehry posted:

The absolute hardest costumes to get are the Magical/Fighting/Coronet armors. One of them requires fishing for the guardian, trading for the mondo stone (which requires fishing for others first), then using it to buy an accessory for Kashiwagi (actually one of Teddie's items.)

Why would anyone get those skeevy things anyway? Blegh.

Nate RFB posted:

Naoto's female uniform is kind of a pain as well, for obvious reasons.

This one's totally worth it though. :colbert: Although the Gekkou Uniform equivalent works well in its place.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

And you even missed the new Golden content where you could take Yukiko or Chie to the festival (and they even have special dialog if you're dating them at the time).

I always thought they wouldn't call at all unless they were in anime girlfriends with you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the only way to lock yourself out of their festival scenes is to friend zone them during their s-links.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Sigh, i felt really bad and decided to just reload a save before getting into a relationship with Chie/Rise. For Rise i really need to be careful about what i pick.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

UberJumper posted:

Sigh, i felt really bad and decided to just reload a save before getting into a relationship with Chie/Rise. For Rise i really need to be careful about what i pick.

For Rise, remember, be an rear end in a top hat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Less so than you might think. For pretty much every S-Link it's the same, there is a single point in the S-Link where you either trip the flag or don't. For Rise it's the 7 to 8 transition where you either hug her or just stand by her while she has a minor breakdown. Hugging her is the Lovers' Flag for that relationship. It's kinda dumb but whaddya gonna do. Up to you whether you read that "spoiler" to get the exact info on what to avoid, it's really not much of a spoiler.

Honestly Yukiko is cool enough. She has some killer lines later on in the game and is generally a really good character when she's not dutifully fulfilling her obligation to play the trope of HAHA GIRLS WHO CAN'T COOK ISN'T THAT WAAAAACKY? I also enjoyed her S-Link character arc well enough. Much moreso than Rise's simply because the whole idol thing skeeves me way the gently caress out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You should date Chie, it's really heartwarming. :p

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

You should date Chie, it's really heartwarming. :p

This is also true, yes.

It depresses me how surprised she is to have the MC be interested in her :smith:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Terper posted:

Why would you ever want to date Naoto though really.

Because she has the biggest boobs?

edit: I missed her s-link in my run so I didn't get that option anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Less so than you might think. For pretty much every S-Link it's the same, there is a single point in the S-Link where you either trip the flag or don't. For Rise it's the 7 to 8 transition where you either hug her or just stand by her while she has a minor breakdown. Hugging her is the Lovers' Flag for that relationship. It's kinda dumb but whaddya gonna do. Up to you whether you read that "spoiler" to get the exact info on what to avoid, it's really not much of a spoiler.

Honestly Yukiko is cool enough. She has some killer lines later on in the game and is generally a really good character when she's not dutifully fulfilling her obligation to play the trope of HAHA GIRLS WHO CAN'T COOK ISN'T THAT WAAAAACKY? I also enjoyed her S-Link character arc well enough. Much moreso than Rise's simply because the whole idol thing skeeves me way the gently caress out.

Ugh i am 100% sure my save is from before i hugged her (her S-Rank is 8). As soon as she became available i just tried to max her S Rank as fast as possible.

Also this might be dumb, but how the hell do you start Kanji's S Link? He is never around, i don't know if he is hiding in a corner, but all he ever asked me is to go into the TV.

• Locked thread