Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pleasant Friend posted:

So can Littlefinger marry Sansa now? Or is her marriage to Tyrion still binding?

I think Littlefinger bets on the Mountain solving that problem for him. Even if Tywin's plan would have gone through and Tyrion had ended up at the Wall (probably making Lord Commander in a few months) he would haven been free to marry Sansa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Also I like how none of the Lannisters or Starks or anyone really can find Arya, but apparently some fat ex-con and his buddy can track her down like loving Boba Fett.

qxx posted:

Those guys weren't looking for Arya, they were looking for The Hound. In the previous episodes, the Lannisters and friends were told of The Hounds general whereabouts. Nobody (with the exception of Hot Pocket and now Team Brienne) knows that Arya is alive (explained last night) or that she is with The Hound for that matter. Those clowns "finding Arya" was just because she was with The Hound. And they aren't telling anyone now so the mystery remains.
They must be looking for Arya otherwise I'd look like a complete moron while trying to be clever.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

That DICK! posted:

Also I like how none of the Lannisters or Starks or anyone really can find Arya, but apparently some fat ex-con and his buddy can track her down like loving Boba Fett.

They are tracking down the Hound, Tywin put a fat bounty on his fat head. No one cares about his little sidekick with a pointy stick.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Some questions...

1. What was the meaining behind Dany telling Jorah to tell Daaaaaario~ that Jorah is the one who changed her mind?

2. Was Bronn's reason for not fighting for Tyrion because he had been bought out by Lannisters or he didn't want to fight the Mountain?

3. What's Oberyn's reason for fighting for Tyrion? Sympathy? Or just a really easy way to fight the Mountain without seeing like he straight up murdered someone?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Decius posted:

I think Littlefinger bets on the Mountain solving that problem for him. Even if Tywin's plan would have gone through and Tyrion had ended up at the Wall (probably making Lord Commander in a few months) he would haven been free to marry Sansa.

I don't remember if they mention it in the show but I recall there being some kind of law stating that if you don't "seal the deal" then a marriage can be annulled, which makes the bedding ceremony a good way to make sure the bride the groom actually gently caress on their first night.

But being a window works better imo.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^They have made mentioned of it. I think Olenna did just recently with Joff/Marge.

Hand of the King posted:

Some questions...

1. What was the meaining behind Dany telling Jorah to tell Daaaaaario~ that Jorah is the one who changed her mind?

2. Was Bronn's reason for not fighting for Tyrion because he had been bought out by Lannisters or he didn't want to fight the Mountain?

3. What's Oberyn's reason for fighting for Tyrion? Sympathy? Or just a really easy way to fight the Mountain without seeing like he straight up murdered someone?

1. That one had me baffled as well. I kinda feel like it is a message to Daario that he isn't her most important advisor.

2. He has a good thing going and doesn't want to die. Risk/reward is too high.

3. Oberyn has wanted revenge for his sister/nephew/niece since we met him. The only thing he is concerning himself with right now is killing the Mountain and getting his vengeance finally.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

qxx posted:

Those guys weren't looking for Arya, they were looking for The Hound. In the previous episodes, the Lannisters and friends were told of The Hounds general whereabouts, important to note the reports did not mention anything about The Hound having a traveling companion either. Nobody (with the exception of Hot Pocket and now Team Brienne) knows that Arya is alive (explained last night) or that she is with The Hound for that matter. Those clowns "finding Arya" was just because she was with The Hound. And they aren't telling anyone now so the mystery remains.

Edit: I like how they are developing The Hound's character without sacrificing his badassery. Usually, they intro a bad-as-gently caress character and tone him way down to make them more 'human'. So far, while humanizing The Hound, he still snapped that guys neck and killed him without barely any effort. Good times.
Do you not think it's remotely noteworthy for Varys' spies to note that The Hound was travelling with a child companion for no apparent reason whatsoever? You could explain it away perhaps by saying that Varys was told about Arya, but chose to keep that information to himself I guess, but in and of itself it's a bit strange to omit that information.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Hand of the King posted:

Some questions...

1. Maybe as a way to tell Dario that he's not the only man she listens to?
2. Fighting the Mountain is suicide and even if he won, there wasn't any good assurance that Tyrion could pay him since he'd probably be disowned anyway.
3. Tywin has no intention of ever making the Mountain pay for his crimes, so yeah this is the cleanest way for Oberyn to get his revenge.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Shath Hole posted:

1. That one had me baffled as well. I kinda feel like it is a message to Daario that he isn't her most important advisor.
I think it was more a message to Jorah than to Daario, Jorah was feeling friendzoned and unappreciated.

Shath Hole posted:

3. Oberyn has wanted revenge for his sister/nephew/niece since we met him. The only thing he is concerning himself with right now is killing the Mountain and getting his vengeance finally.
As an added bonus, killing the Mountain and freeing Tyrion also would ruin Tywin and Cersei's day.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wyoak posted:

As an added bonus, killing the Mountain and freeing Tyrion also would ruin Tywin and Cersei's day.

Yeah, for sure.

That Oberyn scene describing how much of a oval office Cersei was to Tyrion was soooooooooo good. Also, I freakin' love the Houng/Arya scenes. Those two are great together.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Why do people think Tyrion will come out with nothing? If Tywin could just disown him, he'd have done ages ago, and if he did it right after Tyrion was proven innocent by the gods (effectively granting his wrong accuser his inheritance), that would look real bad...

qxx posted:

Hmm, not sure that The Hound is still hell-bent on ransoming Arya at this point, or it seems like that is becoming less of a thing as their 'friendship' is developing. I think Brienne and Pod will run into them. Brienne will be all, "Sworn to return her to safety" and The Hound will be all, "She is safe. gently caress off" and then poo poo will get awkward[ly violent].

His commitment to ransoming her has always been balanced with the fact that he insists on taking her to her family. He could've taken her to the Lannisters, who are richer and nearer. He's been protecting the Stark girls since season 1; he just also happens to need money

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 19, 2014

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

He could've taken her to the Lannisters, who are richer and nearer.

After "gently caress the king" there's literally zero chance any Lannister interaction doesn't end with him beheaded.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So was Oberyn's speech to Tyrion, outside of saying how much he despises Cersi and wants to kill the mountain, is also to tell him he doesnt want to kill him, just pities him immensely?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hand of the King posted:

Some questions...

1. She wanted Jorah to know she still might, possibly, at some point, ever, like him back because she is a drunk on power puppeteer now. She's a teenage girl and she is setting up two boys to fight over her like in Twilight.

2. Both

3. Both. The "I didn't see a monster" speech was pretty drat sympathetic. Oberyn rules

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I thought the new Mountain was pretty badass, I mean the motherfucker was one-handing a claymore like Arya one-hands needle.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It was Dany's way of saying "Ser Jorah, you are the sweetest guy I know. You're like a brother to me! *hug*"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why do people think it's creepy for Littlefinger to like Sansa but not for Jorah to like Dany, Jorah seems older than LF for sure and Dany is younger than Sansa for sure as well.

e: wait no, Dany is 2 years older right? Sansa was 14 and Dany was 16 in season 1. Still, Jorah's like 45 and LF seems 40 maybe

precision fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 19, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

precision posted:

Why do people think it's creepy for Littlefinger to like Sansa but not for Jorah to like Dany, Jorah seems older than LF for sure and Dany is younger than Sansa for sure as well.

Jorah didn't obsess over Dany's mother and talk about she could have been his daughter right before kissing her uninvited.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

E: Also that^^^^^^

precision posted:

I think part of it might be the overall character of the unrequited love. Most of the relationships in the show are ~problematic~, so it's a matter of degrees. Littlefinger comes across as maneuvering to procure and subdue a fetish object, wheras Jorah Mormont demonstrates geniune admiration, affection, and loyalty for Dany.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrBims posted:

Jorah didn't obsess over Dany's mother and talk about she could have been his daughter right before kissing her uninvited.

I don't know why this needs to be spelled out though. :/

Oh, so it's not an age difference thing at all? That makes sense, I just thought most goons were flipping out over age differences again

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yeah, that shouldn't actually be a question. There is no comparison that Littlefinger's creeper status is way above Jorah's.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

precision posted:

e: wait no, Dany is 2 years older right? Sansa was 14 and Dany was 16 in season 1. Still, Jorah's like 45 and LF seems 40 maybe
Maybe in show terms but Sophie Turner was very much a child when the show started and is still very young whereas Emilia Clarke has been in her 20s the whole time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shath Hole posted:

Yeah, that shouldn't actually be a question. There is no comparison that Littlefinger's creeper status is way above Jorah's.

Also I seriously doubt Littlefinger feels actual affection for Sansa and didn't just play both her and Lysa to set up an actual confrontation.

E: Also, most of the characters in the books are about 10-20 years younger than they are portrayed here, with a few exceptions. I'm really glad they aged various characters, avoiding teenybopper drama or the idea that Eddard and Catelyn were old hands at lordship, having reached the ripe old ages of their mid-thirties.

That's about as book chatty as I want to get, other than to say the book's version of the Eyrie is hilariously inaccessible.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 19, 2014

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also I seriously doubt Littlefinger feels actual affection for Sansa and didn't just play both her and Lysa to set up an actual confrontation.

While I doubt it's affection in any non-twisted sense, he definitely desires Sansa. She's a teenage Cat all over again.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
It'll be interesting to see what happens when Brienne/Pod and/or The Hound/Arya enter the Vale and Littlefinger is there instead of Lysa. Also what will Sansa do?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Universe Master posted:

While I doubt it's affection in any non-twisted sense, he definitely desires Sansa. She's a teenage Cat all over again.

Does he desire her or her power though? I feel like he wants her status more than he does her and the fact that she is hot is just a bonus.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Both.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Shath Hole posted:

Does he desire her or her power though? I feel like he wants her status more than he does her and the fact that she is hot is just a bonus.
I almost expected to see Littlefinger lock up Sansa in Tyrion's old cell after having used her to dispose of Lyanna.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nooneofconsequence posted:

Maybe in show terms but Sophie Turner was very much a child when the show started and is still very young whereas Emilia Clarke has been in her 20s the whole time.

This should not matter even a little bit unless they're like doing actual sex scenes.

e: meaning if you're going to freak out about ages, use the character's age, not the actor's

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Fancy Hat! posted:

So was Oberyn's speech to Tyrion, outside of saying how much he despises Cersi and wants to kill the mountain, is also to tell him he doesnt want to kill him, just pities him immensely?

I saw it as demonstrating Oberyn sincerely is a great guy who knows honor and fairness. Taking him saying "I didn't see a monster. I saw a baby" was his way of saying that tyrion is seen as the human he is, not as a dwarf that seems to scare everyone so much so they exaggerate his deformities. At a time like this tyrion had to have loved hearing he has a friend.

Red viper can't be cooler to me. He steals every scene he's in and he comes off so wise and so caring while being incredibly intelligent and supposedly a badass.

God I hope he's good enough to take on the mountain

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

AMReese posted:

I almost expected to see Littlefinger lock up Sansa in Tyrion's old cell after having used her to dispose of Lyanna.

That would have been quite the interesting development.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

He wants the gently caress out of her dead mum and is projecting the hell out of that onto her. He's got issues.

The fact that the power he needs and the representation of his Cat issues are all in the same person is a bonus and makes things simpler.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Durzel posted:

Do you not think it's remotely noteworthy for Varys' spies to note that The Hound was travelling with a child companion for no apparent reason whatsoever? You could explain it away perhaps by saying that Varys was told about Arya, but chose to keep that information to himself I guess, but in and of itself it's a bit strange to omit that information.

Let's say the spies reported back, "We've spotted The Hound in the Riverlands traveling with a small, adolescent companion". Phrase it however you want, there is literally nothing that would make anyone jump to the conclusion that it was Arya with him. The Lannister men at the keep, which The Hound killed, saw 'Arya' and made the assumption she was his sexxing/rape companion. Any spy would probably do the same or figure it may be a squire (like Pod to Brienne); not jump to some crazy conclusion it was Arya.

Bobo the Red posted:

His commitment to ransoming her has always been balanced with the fact that he insists on taking her to her family. He could've taken her to the Lannisters, who are richer and nearer. He's been protecting the Stark girls since season 1; he just also happens to need money

Ya, I'm hip to his reasons and him being a quiet protector of the Stark girls from jump street. And because of that subtle role he plays, I think it's going to lead to some static with Team Brienne when they cross paths is all I'm saying (again, predicting).

qxx fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 19, 2014

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
I've heard that Jorah seems way creepier in the books, but I haven't read them myself. Part of that may come from Dany being 13 and Jorah being super hairy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

uuuummm posted:

I've heard that Jorah seems way creepier in the books, but I haven't read them myself. Part of that may come from Dany being 13 and Jorah being super hairy.

So in the books, Jorah is GRRM's self-insert, is what I'm getting here.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

precision posted:

So in the books, Jorah is GRRM's self-insert, is what I'm getting here.

Naw that's definitely Sam.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Fast Luck posted:

Worst Mountain yet. Looks nothing like the previous Mountains. Looks like a 20-year-old overgrown baby.

Bjornsson is a strong-man rather than a bodybuilder or just a big athletic guy. He's scary looking but the shots of him in armour make him look like a 12 foot tall plate metal weeble that couldn't right itself. The first Mountain was huge, muscular, and looked like he could perform in a fight without falling over. He might look better in the actual episode, though.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

The Little Kielbasa posted:

That would have been quite the interesting development.
I meant Lysa, my bad. Similar names, you know how it is.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

uuuummm posted:

Yeah, I really like Iain Glen's acting but casting a guy who causes millions of flooded panties each episode as Jorah was a questionable choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It just clicked with me that The Hound will once again be denied his ransom because of murder. I don't think he's going give Arya over to Littlefinger. Though, Littlefinger might be the one in danger if he did.

• Locked thread