Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria
HP: 16/40. AC 18. PD 15. MD 12. Recoveries 9/9

Ziria just grins as she sees the Van roll the hell over... and then is promptly rubbing a very sore shoulder. "Owowow... what the hell was that thing anyway?"

She takes a few moments to catch her breath, while she sees Sidnae... well, yell at Nate while she provides first aid.

---

Using two recoveries: 17 total. HP at 33/40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate
HP -8/32, AC 15 PD 13 MD 14 Recoveries 8/8

Again, floating in darkness. This was getting sadly common, and part of Nate wondered if this was a sensation he'd be getting very familiar with in this life. Just before he noticed...something swim up to the corner his eye, he was reembraced by the light - and by yelling.

Recovery via Healing: 8 (HP 8/32, Recoveries 7/8)

Having the first thing you see upon coming back from the brink of death be a dwarven woman yell "GET BETTER!" in your face was an ...experience. "She beat me up with her Chevy Van," Nate semi-incoherently mumbled coming back to consciousness, "and that's not all right with me." Getting a further grip on his senses, he asks Sidnae (because she's right in his face, and hence the closest) "Van still around?"

Will roll more recoveries later.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

The metal carriage is a fascinating piece of machinery. You've never seen anything quite like it, but it's utility as a war machine is clear. It has considerable mass for ramming enemy troops, and its ability to hold a large amount of equipment or men would be enough to justify its use.

A closer look at the body reveals that the painting of a wizard is actually a relatively recent addition, apparently to cover up the thin patches and rust that cover most of the outer shell of the vehicle. From the inside the metal appears to be ancient, smithed long, long before any of you were born judging by the warping and the aforementioned rust. The steel(? it looks like steel, but seems to be considerably lighter) armor can be pierced with relative ease, a solid blow from an axe or hammer could punch through it easily, though it could probably deflect glancing blows well enough. The tires are made from some kind of leather, though those are looking rather frayed as well. The driver seems to be seated up front, looking through a sheet of darkened glass. Why it's darkened you couldn't say.

The metal cover on the front seems to have fallen off, revealing the mechanisms by which the vehicle moves. Unsurprisingly, you're not able to identify any of the parts, though a central device catches your eye. Its manufacture seems to be considerably different from the rest of the vehicle, more roughly hewn and covered in runes and sigils. A small gyroscope hovers and spins quietly, suspended by a cushion of faintly-green energy.

It's clearly a magical device, though you're not entirely sure of its function. It seems to be what propels this beast forward, however.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate
HP 8/32, AC 15 PD 13 MD 14 Recoveries 7/8

Nate staggered over to the hood and peered inside. Part of his still addled mind thought Well that certainly isn't a typical V6, while another part realized that someone, somehow was trying to use magic to recreate otherworldly gear. Whether that thought would present itself when Nate finally came though, would have to wait, especially as the only thing Nate could verbalize was "Spinny green thing, woo."

Spending more recoveries.

Recovery 16 = 24/32 HP Recoveries 6/8

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Rythin
HP 30/36; AC 13, PD 14, MD 12; Recoveries 8/8

Rythin studies the glowing mage sigils. He didn't get along with the Arcanist at the best of times - those stuffy Academy teachers tended to look down on someone who chose to use the magical gifts for anything other than research and whatever drivel they were spewing that week.

Of course, they sometimes did teach things that worked. Rythin tries to remember some of the classes he had taken on sigils. Of course, half the time he was asleep so it wasn't as if he remembered much. "gently caress it," he mutters, and starts messing around with the magical energies.

Background Check to gently caress with the van's magic: 1d20+1 (Academy Dropout) = 9 :ohdear:
This might not end well.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate
HP 24/32, AC 15 PD 13 MD 14 Recoveries 6/8

Feeling better and less addleheaded (the things getting hit by a van can do to your brain...), Nate takes a closer look at the innards, letting Rythin by to do his thing. Perhaps while Rythin works with the magical, he could figure the physical - in all his lives, something like this had to come up before, right?

Making a Background Check (Flashbacks of the Past +4) to try to figure out the general makeup of the engine - how it's magic and tech interact and whatnot. I don't know if this counts as an Int or Wis check, so I'll just add +6 to this roll, and figure you can add 1 if it's Wis based.

Flashback Roll: 26. So if that was Wis Based, just add +1 to that.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria has no goddamned idea what the lot are doing, and she settles for staying the heck away from the death machine like the sensible person she rarely is.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Neither Nate nor Rythin is really able to discern what the device does in a technical sense. That is, they're not quite sure of the specifics of the design or the parts included or the spells used or anything like that.

The magic part seems to be the engine that drives the thing forward at terrific speeds. While the specifics are beyond your grasp, what the engine does in a broad sense and how to control it using the various pedals and levers in the front are reasonably easy to figure out.

They also manage to piece together that while most of the beast was not a recent construction, the magical device was. That is, the engine is not much more than a couple years old, but the frame of the carriage, the various bits of steel and wheels and whatnot, are considerably older. The engine may have been built by some of the wizards in Meyas' employ, but the rest of it is far beyond the knowledge of any smiths you're aware of.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Nate puzzles over the engine. "So, from what I can tell," he idly talks to himself and Rythin since he's nearby, "it's a really old machine, powered by a new device. I don't know if Meyas found a way to build new engines to power this, or if he found a cache, but we're looking at the Dark Lord using really old tech powered by new magic."

"So in other words, more poo poo going against us. Let's see if we can get this drat thing working, at least for us. See if we can run over some of the Dark Lord's goons, give 'em a taste of how it feels."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin studies the various symbols. "Okay, so this one means either 'Start' or 'Explode'. Probably an important difference," he says, pointing at one of the glowing symbols. "But yeah, this stuff can't be more than a year old, max."

It's pretty clear he has no idea what he's talking about. Sleeping through Magical Glyphs 101 was probably not a good idea. "Maybe Dynamis can get it working or something. The way my magic works, it'll probably blow something up before I fix anything."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Thanks to a conglomeration of magicks that you're quite frankly better off not thinking about too hard, Rythin and Nate are able to get the great metal beast up and running.

The world is now your oyster.

The kind of oyster you open by ramming into it really hard with several tons of steel.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

After some last minute tweaking and spellcasting, Nate cautiously gets in the driver seat, activates the starter rune, and hits the gas (or whatever the magical gas equivalent is).

As the engine roars, Nate almost jumps out of his seat as he remembers getting ran over the last time they met, but this time, he - they - were in control.

Nate pokes his head out the window.

"Get in."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria can only stare at the strange carriage that was, up until a few moments ago, trying to run them over, and wonders if its really a good idea to get into that thing.

Then she realizes that it looks pretty freaking awesome, and gets in. "... So... uh... how DO you handle this... thing?"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Sidnae

Sidnae shrugs, stepping through the doors into the back of the van. "I don't know anything about these city folks' technology. This thing can get us to Circadia faster, right?"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin gets into the back next to Sidnae. "I think so," he says. "It certainly seemed fast enough when it was running you and Nate over."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Just FYI this is kind of my finals week (I have three 20+-page "rough drafts" due) and I have been procrastinating hardcore and not gotten any of the things done I should have (including not posting here so haha gently caress you!) so my next, let's see, four days is pretty much just writing non-stop and maybe like a nap if I make good time.

You should keep posting though. Remember: always be posting.

In fact, let me have your attention for a moment! 'Cause you're talking about what? You're talking about... bitching about that roll you botched, some son of a bitch don't want to buy your +4 sword, somebody don't want what you're selling, some wench you're trying to screw, so forth. Let's talk about something important. Are they all here?

Well, I'm going anyway! Let's talk about something important! Put that mead down! Mead's for closers only. You think I'm loving with you? I am not loving with you. I'm here from Circadia. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Grothnak the Destroyer?

You call yourself an adventurer, you son of a bitch? The good news is you're dead. The bad news is you've got, all you've got, just one week to regain your life, starting with tonight. Starting with tonight's dungeon. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this month's plundering contest. As you all know, first prize is a Time-Travelling van. Anybody wanna see second prize? Second prize's a set of throwing knives. Third prize is you're dead. Do you get the picture? Are you laughing now? You got plot hooks! Get out there and run them! You can't RP the hooks you're given, you can't kill poo poo, you are poo poo, hit the bricks, pal, and beat it 'cause you're going out!

The hooks are weak? Fuckin' hooks are weak? You're weak. I've been in this business 15 years. What's my name?

gently caress YOU, that's my name! You know why, son? 'Cause you wore some leather armor here tonight, I wore an 80,000GP suit of magical plate mail. That's my name! And your name is 'you're wanting'. And you can't play in a man's game. You can't post. Then go home home and tell your wife your troubles. Because only one thing counts in this life! Get them to post on this line, which is empty! You hear me, you fuckin' berks? A-B-P. A-Always, B-Be, P-Posting. Always be posting! Always be posting! A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are 'cause it's gently caress or walk. You post, or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?! And action. A-I-D-A. Get out there! You got the quests coming in. You think they came in to get outta the rain? An NPC don't walk into the tavern lest he needs a Hero. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

It takes a little getting used to, but eventually you're able to get the van to move. Fast. Very fast.

Too fast. You have to be going at least 30 miles an hour, it's incredible. But you can't stop. Won't stop. Gotta go fast.

It takes less than a week to make it to Circadian lands (Bonus! Van makes a good tent. Smells kinda bad though. And needs a cooler name. Like Furhon or Agradūta or something.), and considerably less time to find a clump of bushes to stash the Furhon in. You're not sure what the restrictions are like on stolen high-prototype military armaments, but you're guessing kinda harsh.

The good news is, Circadia's nice this time of year.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Nate stares at the outskirts of Circadia. While part of him knows it's only a matter of time before Meyas' troops or that rotting thing or Gods know what would pop up and try to kill them, it's was the little moments of bliss that seemed to make up for it. Seeing the great city, part of Nate's core knew this was why, in every life he had, he fought the good fight - to protect and explore these wonderful sights.

With the last branch placed upon the van's hiding place (which for some reason, Nate tended to call it The Sex Chariot, even though, as far as he knew, no sex-having was ever had in there) Nate turned to the others, smiled, then turned back to Circadia.

"Gotta live these moments for as long as you can," he talked to no one in particular.

EDIT: Starting my AT today, will be back around the 16th.

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 4, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Hoooooly loving poo poo was that a nightmare. Uh, yeah, wow. Sorry for the absence but I basically had a mental breakdown, existential crisis, failure of classes, a rallying of faculty helping me, and then managed to pull myself up out of the smoking crater. It's been... drat, it's been a long week.

But I'm back. And I'm alive! But I also won't have blamed anyone for bailing, haha!

So with that said let's get a headcount? (I know Dedman's gone until the 16th, but everyone else)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I'm gonna be pretty sparse for the next two weeks. Projects due, finals, that kind of poo poo. I'll still be able to post occasionally, but it'll be maybe once a week at most.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Obviously I'm not one to complain! :v:

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I be here, and would like to continue!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I should probably mention that even though I got over that one hump, it is still finals week for me through Friday :(

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

There's a long line to get into the city, looks like there's a military checkpoint at the gate.

You can see boats coming and going from the port, but the other gates seem to be locked down.

Considering that you're rolling up in what is effectively a mobile siege weapon (if you're willing to use your own health and well-being hurtling forward at dozens of miles an hour in an iron cage as a weapon) it's probably best that you leave it in some of the denser foliage off the road. If you plan on committing to a siege later, you can come back for it.

Walking up to join the press of people waiting to enter the city, you can see that the entire "checkpoint" seems to consist of two haggard-looking guards backed up by a score of archers aiming into the front of the crowd. Seems like someone's paranoid.

"Ugh, this is going to take hours." Aour groans, sifting through her pack. "Might as well settle in."

Several hours later.

"Gods, finally." Aour sighs, then melts into the back of the party. "You talk. Sometimes people don't like Clerics coming around during wartime, they think we'll spread propaganda."

The guard looks up at you from a sheet of parchment attached to a small plank. "Name and reason for visiting."

In case you've forgotten (I know I have :v:) you're here to talk to the Nidal about Meyas pushing South and attacking Duvik's Pass, weird poo poo attacking in Brindonford, the Baron of Brindonford going nuts, and/or wererats are living in Brindonford. Though no one really cares about the rats.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Ziria spent most of the ride between terrified and exhilarated. Even after she got used to it, she couldn't help but admire the machine. She was even a bit sad about having to leave it behind, but saw reason to that.

A few hours standing in line, now, that does make her rather cranky. When its finally their turn she steps ahead.

"Ziria Stormbringer." She tries to not snap her name too nastily. "We bring news to the Nidal regarding Meyas, and several disturbing occurrences on Brindonford."

---

Should we roll our Icons?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah go for it

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Dynamis
HP: 36/36. AC 14. PD 14. MD 16. Recoveries 8/8

The strange construct is interesting, but all the same Dynamis is quite happy to get out of it when they stop. A bit of a walk to their destination is a small price to pay for not taking the thing into a crowded area, or riding in it any longer than necessary.

As it is finally time for the group to speak Dynamis stands back behind Ziria, leaving the talking to her for now.

Icon rolls: Augustia (Positive 2), Touzicon (Negative 1) 6,1 for Augustia, 1 for Touzicon

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin is torn between being terrified of the entire ordeal or laughing at the rush riding in that deathtrap. He chooses a mix of both eventually.

He notices that Ziria seemed a little irritated, but it isn't his place to say anything. He contents himself with grinning at the guards; of course, grinning requires showing off his teeth. People always seemed a little intimidated by that.

Huzzah, finals are complete. Now I can actually pay attention to this game again.
Icon rolls: Ashdraanol (Conflicted 1), Caincakah (Positive 2), Arcanist (Negative 1) 6 for Ashdraanol

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

As Nate walked along with the group, a little part of him complained Only 30 miles an hour! Dammit, we need to go fasta! Nate shook that random memory out of his head. Speeds beyond 30? Dear god, no one would survive it. (And dammit, no other past me's better show up to complain otherwise!)

When they got to the guard, Nate sidled up to Ziria, in case the guard needed some schmoozing.

And here are the Icon Rolls:
Sand (1 Positive), Xizael (1 Conflicted), Caincakah (1 Negative), Bodhrisin (1 Conflicted)
6 for Xizael

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

Icon rolls for Ziria: Augusta (positive) 6, 1; Mierdames 4

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I swear the universe is conspiring against my ability to post. I just got internet in my apartment today. Coincidentally I also managed to nail down what was causing my increasingly-frequent random shutdowns. I don't know how hot my particular cpu is supposed to idle at, but I'm pretty sure it's not 106°C :saddowns:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The guard snaps to attention. "Oh? You're in luck, Nidal Ewman is holding open court as we speak. Private!" He calls to a young guard standing just inside the gate. "Lead these folk to the castle, they're to see the Nidal immediately, they claim to have urgent news."

The private snaps off a salute and turns to ask you to follow him.

He leads you along the grand central Market Road of Circadia. You've seen it time and again protecting caravans - the phrase "all roads lead to Circadia" is surprisingly literal - but Market Road never ceases to amaze. Huge stone buildings loom overhead, ancient arcane ornamentation glowing and flitting about, supporting some of the more impossible structures. Most lie inert now, however, little more than statuary on aging towers. From here you can just see where the road curves downward toward the docks, and already you can smell the far-off open sea.

Your guide takes you down a smaller road, zig-zagging through alleys before landing on the road to Castle Circadia. The wide cobbles are almost empty compared to Market, it seems few are interested in visiting the castle today.

Soon you find yourself at the grand palace gates, already standing open. The private stops at the door and whispers something to another guard, who leads you further inside. The Nidal is sitting upon his throne, listening to a villager state his case. You arrive just in time to hear the peasant finish: "...-were bandits, m'lord."

The Nidal waves a dismissive hand as the guard who led you in begins circling his way towards him. "Impossible, Circadian lands are the best-guarded in the world, everyone knows that. These 'bandits' of yours are likely nothing more than overly spirited youths causing a little childish mayhem. Amrun!" A clerk looks up from a desk nearby. "Have a captain sent over to this..."

"Middington, m'lord."

"Sent over to Middenton and perform a round of drafting! If these youths are so eager to cause trouble, let them cause trouble for Meyas, am I right?" There's a low murmur of agreement from the assembled lords and various underlings.

"Splendid. See in the next claimant!"

Despite meek protest, the villager is led out of the grand hall.

Now it's your turn. The guard from before whispers something in the Nidal's ear, then comes back to retreive you.

As you step forward you finally get a good look at the Nidal. Nidal Ewman, mid-40s, greying brown hair, wears the robes of office like a used carriage salesman. It doesn't take a keen ear to the ground to know that most Circadians don't like the man. He's a decent enough administrator, keeps the ships coming into port, but he's had no military service, and his charisma leaves something to be desired. He was popular for a bit after the betrayal and subsequent execution-by-exile of Nidal Lastanos, but he has quickly fallen out of favor in the interim.

Despite being surrounded by a small battalion of clerks, lords, and servants, there is one woman who stands out, despite standing, more strictly speaking, behind and to the side of the Nidal.

Pretend there's pictures of the Nidal and the mystery woman here. My crappy, ancient work laptop isn't able to load the Fantasy dropbox for whatever reason :saddowns:

She is... "striking" would be the word you'd use, but that doesn't quite match it. She's not a particular beauty - though she is by no means hard on the eyes - nor is she clad in particularly lavish jewelry, and yet you can't help but feel your eye drawn to her. She is somehow more "there" than the rest of the crowd, perhaps even moreso than the Nidal himself. It's not something you can accurately describe: she is somehow more real than everyone else in the room, as if she is standing amidst an intricately-crafted painting. No matter how well-painted everyone else is, she is somehow more than.

You shake your head clear when you realize the Nidal is talking to you.

"Well? I'm told you have news from the North. Out with it then."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

"Yes sir." Ziria is surprisingly formal, once her attention has snapped away from the intriguing woman. Maybe she just wants to get this out of the way? "The first thing you should know is that Duvik's Pass, a mining village, has been destroyed and several of their people murdered by Meyas' forces. Had we been in the village at the time of the attack, we likely would be dead or prisoner. As it is, we arrived in time to see them executing some people, before splitting up. We followed the caravan that carried the surviving villagers as prisoners, and rescued them. We then led the civilians to Brindonford, and..." she pauses, crossing her arms and frowning as she remembers. "... Things got... even messier..."

She trails off, either waiting to hear the Nidal's reaction to the first bit of news, or seeing if her companions have more to add.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"drat." Ewman clenches a fist, then relaxes. "I knew the scouts at Duvik's Pass hadn't reported in recently, but... well, thank you for this information. You will be rewarded. Was there anything else?"

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin rubs absently at where his eye used to be. "There are... other things there. We don't know if they're allied or enemies or whatever." He cracks a grin. "All we know is that they don't seem to like us."

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ziria

"And we ran into said THINGS on Brindonford." Ziria keeps her arms crossed, frowning. "First at a bookstore, where some... monster filled with tentacles attacked out of nowhere, and then..." She takes a deep breath to focus, and continues. "... When we first arrived, some of the people we rescued went to talk to the Baron to inform him. After the bookstore debacle, we found out that they had been accused as traitors and murderers, to be executed on the main plaza. That did NOT come to pass..." She doesn't explicitly say that they were directly involved, but by her tone of voice it might be implied. "... and we confronted the Baron at his keep, to demand answers from him, at which point he..."

Ziria pauses, and ends up flailing a little. "... he and three of his aides just transformed into monsters and tried to kill us." She pauses, and glances to her companions. "... There was a fourth one, right? She didn't change? I was a bit too focused on the others at the time."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The Nidal stares at you for a long while, closed fist at his chin. Finally he stands up and points to the guards keeping the nobles off the court floor: "Guards! These men are agents of the False Lord Meyas, seize them and throw them in the dungeon!"

Before you can react two guards have appeared on either side of you, meaty hands clasped around your arms. With much murmuring and grumbling from the assembly, you are dragged unceremoniously from the hall deeper into the castle.

They seem to be leading you around curves at random, presumably toward the dungeon. Just as you begin to think about how to make your escape, a woman's voice calls out behind you: "Halt! Let those men go!"

Turning around you see the golden-haired woman that had been seated next to the Nidal. Up close she seems even more, uh... there than she did before. At the sound of her voice the guards immediately drop you from their grasp. Only one turns to face her: "Are you sure ma'rm? Nidal's orders and all."

"The Nidal gave no such order, am I understood?"

"Yes ma'rm." They leave the hall, back towards the court.

The woman watches them leave for a moment, then turns back toward you, the hem of her skirt twirling both impossibly, and somehow menacingly.

"I apologize for the Nidal's... aggressiveness. You're not the first to come to his court with fanciful stories like the ones you tell, he finds them distracting from the task at hand. You admitting to murdering the Baron of Brindonford and escaping from custody probably didn't help either."

She takes a deep breath. "Now, do you mind starting again? Tell me the whole story this time."

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Rythin

Rythin folds his arms. "I don't recall ever mentioning the situation surrounding the Baron of Brinford. And yet for some reason you claim we killed the Baron and escaped custody." Suspicious. "Care to explain how you came to that conclusion?" Not that he's not grateful to her for saving him from spending the night in a dungeon, but still.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Nate

Nate almost says Well we did say he turned into a monster and tried to kill us, and since we're still here and alive, it's easy to figure, if you take us at face value, that we did kill the former Baron-turned-monster to survive making it here. He doesn't, because he's paying attention to the current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

She rolls her eyes dramatically. "By Augustia yes, I went ahead and made a leap in logic, particularly since I just stuck my neck out for you. I assumed that when the Baron and his aides turned into monsters you didn't just stand there and die." She's putting on a faux-exasperation, but there is a very real layer of steel beneath her voice, and it gives you the impression that she, despite apparently spending her days in a court, is fully capable of sending you to your death. And not by calling the guards.

"I'm reaching out to you, because surprisingly, I actually buy your story, even if the Nidal thinks your insanity is tantamount to treason. But I want you to tell me the story, again, from the beginning. And don't leave out your own involvement. Personally, I'd suggest just telling me the truth. Your freedom depends on it. Actually, hang on."

She leads you into a small side room, your not sure what it's original purpose was but now there's a small table and a few stools inside. She closes the door behind you.

"There, in case anyone wanders past. Now start again, with Duvik's Pass. I'm interested in how you made it here. In one piece, that is. Your story's a tad... unbelievable."

• Locked thread