Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrealinia
May 30, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How is this thread really active again

Also, Persona 4 was recently on sale on EU PSN - least that's when I got mine ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Danbri posted:

Man, your girlfriend(s) in that game got mad if they even saw you around another woman, dating them or not. That sucked enough, and thank God they removed that in Portable.

What are you talking about, Yukari yelling at you on the roof for 23 screens everytime you hit SL6 with basically anyone was an exciting and meaningful part of gameplay.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe if you'd stop dating 10 girls at once some of them wouldn't have gotten mad (Maybe if they gave you an option too, but I'm just saiyan).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I only played P3P so I never saw that stuff. :shrug: Yukari was kind of a bitch though so I can see it.

I wanted Orpheus Telos though, sacrifices must be made.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I only played P3P so I never saw that stuff. :shrug: Yukari was kind of a bitch though so I can see it.

Non-portable Persona 3 S-Links had an invisible timer of 60 in-game days. Not interacting with them in that time reverses it, and forces a dialogue choice that can either slowly fix it, or break the SLink completely, nullifying any Persona bonuses.

Once you progressed a potential girlfriend's S-Link past a certain point (and a girl could never NOT be your girlfriend after a point in that game, mind) having an S-Link interaction with any other woman cut down the timer by 15 days.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Maybe if you'd stop dating 10 girls at once some of them wouldn't have gotten mad (Maybe if they gave you an option too, but I'm just saiyan).

So yeah, I had to ignore every other woman in the game to keep things stable, and they all ended up hating me. Just like real life, amirite?

Edit:
Oh, and the game allows you to double-book hanging out with somebody on a day off, and whoever you end up ignoring is an instant reversal. So that's real nice.

Danbri fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 20, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Danbri posted:

Non-portable Persona 3 S-Links had an invisible timer of 60 in-game days. Not interacting with them in that time reverses it, and forces a dialogue choice that can either slowly fix it, or break the SLink completely, nullifying any Persona bonuses.

Once you progressed a potential girlfriend's S-Link past a certain point (and a girl could never NOT be your girlfriend after a point in that game, mind) having an S-Link interaction with any other woman cut down the timer by 15 days.

So yeah, I had to ignore every other woman in the game to keep things stable, and they all ended up hating me. Just like real life, amirite?

You could do what I did and keep a spreadsheet of who you took on a date when, and rotate through the girls on that list.

Not guaranteed to work in a video game, though.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Endorph posted:

Because one guy keeps posting every ten minutes and everyone else reacts to those posts.

Sorry :smith:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Great, Endorph. Now you scared him away. :colbert:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
With all the P3 talk, I feel that this is relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Z9mbhsol4

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Just remember that it's not a true harem run if you're not romancing the widow as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Uh. Why? :iiam:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Everyone's fighting for the honor of their waifus

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

It went on sale like 2 weeks ago and someone bought it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't say 'stop,' I was just saying that was what was happening.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Don't apologize. A lot of us are enjoying the impressions of a newcomer to P4. :)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Really Pants posted:

Everyone's fighting for the honor of their waifus

Anime war. Anime war never changes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Some more chapters of the Persona 4 Arena manga were released today, and it's pretty much the best.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I remain convinced that my steadfast ignoring of the Arena games is for the best.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Captain Oblivious posted:

I remain convinced that my steadfast ignoring of the Arena games is for the best.

Nah, Arena owns and you're dumb.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, pretty much. Akihiko vs Chie is the best thing that's ever happened to this series.

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Elizabeth's story mode is the best thing that's ever happened to this series.

FTFY.

P4A owns bones and I defy anyone who says otherwise. Also, Labrys is a great character and exactly everything that Aigis should have been.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nah I think the whole Expanded Universe-esque thing they've got going on is for the worse and that it's better to let a story like this lie.

Too many stories don't know when to stop :shrug:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Coughing Hobo posted:

Nah, Arena owns and you're dumb.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 4's story is silly and dumb and any more silly and dumb additions to it only make it better.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Nah I think the whole Expanded Universe-esque thing they've got going on is for the worse and that it's better to let a story like this lie.

On some level I agree with you but nah arena is still good

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Seriously. Arena's one of the best fighters to come out of the woodwork in years, by virtue of using Guilty Gear/BlazBlue's system, and familiar characters. It's HEAVILY plot driven, more than any other fighter I've ever seen, so it appeals to the existing SMT fanbase, and the fighting's good enough to keep the attention of seasoned players that prefer playing fighting games. Even if the story's got some cheese to it, it's a phenomenal game that everybody who enjoys the series should play.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd say this easily applies to The Answer and those Naoto novels, but Arena is seriously the best, and you're missing out IMO.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're right, Arena's story is hot garbage. The fighting game format does not lend itself well to what they did with it (every story contradicts every other story). There were some good bits, like the alternate paths to Chie and Kanji's story but the game can be summed up as "buy Arena 2, also here's another robot girl with a ~tragic past~".

As a fighting game it might be cool but I don't know or care about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The fact that someone with a homestuck avatar is saying this is astounding.

For real though, you're free to dislike Arena and the seventeen billion other spin-offs, but from a finanical perspective it makes sense, and from a narrative perspective they've framed them all in such a way that you're free to ignore them if you choose.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're right, Arena's story is hot garbage. The fighting game format does not lend itself well to what they did with it (every story contradicts every other story). There were some good bits, like the alternate paths to Chie and Kanji's story but the game can be summed up as "buy Arena 2, also here's another robot girl with a ~tragic past~".

As a fighting game it might be cool but I don't know or care about that.

Are you trying to say that Yukiko's epic struggle to avenge her Bento Box isn't the most well written story every in a fighting game? I guess there was other stuff going on too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

The fact that someone with a homestuck avatar is saying this is astounding.

For real though, you're free to dislike Arena and the seventeen billion other spin-offs, but from a finanical perspective it makes sense, and from a narrative perspective they've framed them all in such a way that you're free to ignore them if you choose.

At no point have I ever suggested MSPA is a good story, it is fun though :v:

And yeah that's pretty much what I do. Ignore the spinoffs, wait for Persona 5, and hope to god it's self contained.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

My only real issue, and this is from someone who just got Persona 4 when it went up on PSN last month, and P4A earlier this month when it was on sale on PSN, with Arena, is that at times, I got annoyed with some of the plot, if only because I LIKED the overall 'happy' ending we got via the True Ending (And what I've seen so far of Golden via Youtube. Curse you P4G, making me want a Vita!), and felt that it was kind of a 'oh, look, you guys had a happy ending, but now here's more drama' kind of thing.

Well, that, and the fact that there's no Yu/Chie subtext irks me...but that's just my own bias talking.

Plot aside, the game is a great fighter, especially for someone like me who's total trash at most fighting games.

EDIT: I'm kind of wondering how Arena 2's plot is going to fit into things, regarding Golden's True Ending/Epilogue, and how it accounts for Arena, but nothing past that in terms of events.

Magil of Shadow fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's about as much subtext for that (all girls have a crush on the main character FOREVER) as there will ever be. Except maybe for Marie, I guess people who watch the new anime will get to find out firsthand. Wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that considering her bonus dungeon and the Valentine's Day event.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Are you trying to say that Yukiko's epic struggle to avenge her Bento Box isn't the most well written story every in a fighting game? I guess there was other stuff going on too.

my tofu... :(

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Gah there is so much to do, i want to ride scooters with Chie, but so many social links are not touched. Now i am supposed to go on school vacation, to port island.

I worry about the cat that i keep feeding, in the flood plains. I hope he doesn't starve :smith:.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Magil of Shadow posted:

EDIT: I'm kind of wondering how Arena 2's plot is going to fit into things, regarding Golden's True Ending/Epilogue, and how it accounts for Arena, but nothing past that in terms of events.

Arena takes place over like, two days. That's five days left in Golden Week for Ultimax.

I'm just wondering what they're going to do with Adachi, since the Golden ending establishes he's still in jail.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Gah there is so much to do, i want to ride scooters with Chie, but so many social links are not touched. Now i am supposed to go on school vacation, to port island.

I worry about the cat that i keep feeding, in the flood plains. I hope he doesn't starve :smith:.

Welcome to Persona 4, scheduling hell

There is never enough time (there's actually plenty of time but it feels crushing, especially in Summer which is newly jam packed with events in Golden)

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

UberJumper posted:

Don't worry about the cat, it'll live. Also you should keep feeding it for some real :3: afterwards.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Welcome to Persona 4, scheduling hell

There is never enough time (there's actually plenty of time but it feels crushing, especially in Summer which is newly jam packed with events in Golden)

:smith: I swear i have been doing my best to be optimal at my time management. Yet there are still a bunch of S Links i havent started, are sitting at level 1, or haven't gotten yet. Ai whatsherface still has never asked me to do anything, and the hanged man social link i have never started. There are a bunch others like the Tower, and Death that i still have yet to find anything for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

UberJumper posted:

:smith: I swear i have been doing my best to be optimal at my time management. Yet there are still a bunch of S Links i havent started, are sitting at level 1, or haven't gotten yet. Ai whatsherface still has never asked me to do anything, and the hanged man social link i have never started. There are a bunch others like the Tower, and Death that i still have yet to find anything for them.

Oof, you're starting Tower and Death this late? Salvageable. They're actually super, super easy to get into and you should have plenty of time left for them.

Tower and Devil come from the Tutoring and Hospital Janitor part time jobs respectively. Accept the jobs at the job posting board, then work them during the nights. Death is opened up by proceeding to a certain point in Devil.

Tower is especially important because it unlocks everybody's favorite flagrantly overpowered Persona.

• Locked thread