Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty sure that has less to do with regional differences than with one of the traders having a bootleg copy.

No I'm 100% certain that's not the case. Considering it was like a regular level 7 Spearow turning into that Lapras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I had a trade freeze up in the middle of it (I was getting a Charizard, he was getting a Snorlax), and when I restarted, I had a level 254 Orax that leveled up to 100 when he got even 1 exp.

I was about 10 and super-confused.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Thwack! posted:

Joltik also has a higher attack stat than Onix.

drat, what a crazy world that we live in where a tick hits harder than a living rock!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
On the subject of Gen 1, and all of it's insane glitches, I link to one of the best Pokemon LPs from these forums: Let's Horribly Break Pokemon Blue.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Bug beats Dark because of Kamen Rider, that's my mnemonic.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DoctorWhat posted:

Fighting beats Dark for the same reason, except with a more general "costumed superhero" undertone than just KR.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Geemer posted:

Mandatory Pokemon Green spritesheet:

They really fixed up that poliwag, that tail just didn't look...right.

Oddish is on fire!

I find it amazing that they can still improve the sprites up untill B/W2. They look even better in 3D now. :)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

KataraniSword posted:

Fighting beats Dark for the same reason, except with a more general "costumed superhero" undertone than just KR.

Well Dark is basically just dirty fighting (hence why it has moves like Foul Play, Pursuit, Feint Attack and Sucker Punch), so while that also works on that front I think it's more likely the whole 'martial arts training is superior to untrained combat', which could also be why Fighting beats Normal.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

DoctorWhat posted:

I always though that it was because Dark types are all about dirty fighting and you can't really trick or fight dirty against something like a bug.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DoctorWhat posted:

Pretty sure that actually is why.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Yo, I'll probably have another update next week. Been doing birthday/work things all the past week.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

DoctorWhat posted:

Has anyone ever asked Tajiri point-blank about typing?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Stroth posted:

Pretty sure that actually is why.

Yeah I know that's why, but it's also a helpful memory device.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I remember, as a kid, I thought that there was an extraordinary amount of pokémon in the R/B/Y games, but looking at the sprite sheet really puts it in perspective. There's really not very many of 'em.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#22. Nerd Tournament

Music: Driftveil City

Well, yes. You can't battle with no monsters. That Excadrill would have tore your face off.

what they were!"

Hey maybe he's stopped and listened to them like an adult with an open mind or somethin'!

OH look! I was right, Hugh!

adults are supposed to make?"

Hugh, I—

You really do not retain memories well, do you?

- - -

Choro Notes: Pokémon World Tournament
This is the sort of Battle Frontier-y upgrade. It's not too much attraction wise compared to past Battle Frontiers but it's at least an addition to the Battle Subway. In addition it's got the usual move-related NPC all in one place:

Choro Notes: Move Relearner!

Choro Notes: Move Deleter!

Choro Notes: This guy will tell you what type a monster's Hidden Power will be if it were to learn it.

Choro Notes: This guy will teach the moves Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant or Hydro Cannon to the final stages of the fire-type starters, grass-type starters and water-type starters respectively. The moves are literally just Hyper Beams of the appropriate type.

Choro Notes: On the other end of the spectrum, this guy will teach Grass Pledge, Fire Pledge and Water Pledge to any stage of the appropriate type starters. If two pledge moves are used in the same turn during a double or Triple battle. The power of the second pledge is doubled and the following effects happen for four turns:
-If Fire Pledge is used with Grass Pledge it'll set the ground on fire on the opponent's side. Every turn non-fire-types will take damage as though they were burnt. Rain will extinguish it.
-If Fire Pledge is used with Water Pledge, a rainbow will form and user's team has double the chance of secondary effects happening.
-If Grass Pledge is used with Water Pledge, it'll swamp the opponent's side with mud, halving the opponents' speed.
It's a neat gimmick but I've never really had it come up enough to justify using them. Partially because it requires two starters.

Choro Notes: You get and can spend BP here like at Gear station, mostly Hold-Items and TMs.

Choro Notes: You get the Rocky Helmet here. If the holder is hit by a physical attack the attacker takes damage. I used the hell out of this in Black by sticking it on a Druddigon with Rough Skin.

It's, uh. Aesthetically it looks like some sort of wrestling thing. There's even a gigantic tv screen.

Ain't she purty?"

. . . tads?

Anything?! Yo, I'm attacking Hugh directly.

So what you're saying is there will be several tournaments daily and actually being the champion isn't as big of an accomplishment as one would expect.

what Pokémon battlin' means—is you."

"Haley'd do it. So get on in there, Not-Haley."

up-and-comin' stars!"

Nnngh.

If we're doing this we're gonna do this with style.

OH GEE, I WONDER WHO I'M GONNA END UP FIGHTING THROUGHOUT THIS TOURNAMENT.

HUGH. HUGH YOU TOLD THEM TO PUT THAT IN YOUR INTRO? REALLY?!

This is a tournament. Super serious and I am into this. No talking.

Music: Battle! Vs. Hugh

Hugh I'm going to ruin your pig, that cool? Yep. Totally cool. Cool.

Choro Notes: Of all things, this Simipour is probably the most dangerous thing Hugh has in any of his possible line-ups here. I know, it's shocking.

Choro Notes: Scald is REALLY efficient at this point in the game and it's kind of that sweet spot where Simipour/Simisage/Simisear are actually really good.

Great.

My bird is kind of sort of way cooler than yours in every way. Especially aesthetically!

Why.

You taunted the beartrap and the beartrap snapped!

Hugh, have you noticed you only ever say the same three things?

Maybe it's because I'm not constantly crying or assaulting people in front of them?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED.

I battled as a Gym Leader."
"You, you're not gonna repeat what happened last time we fought, are you?"

"I pray, in fact."

Music: Battle! Unova Gym Leader

I thought you said you had things that weren't all normal-types.

A vulture that employs flattery is such a wonderful concept, I'm glad that it exists.

poo poo.

. . . Oh.

Oh.

Choro Notes: As a thing I should have mentioned sooner: PWT matches are done Battle Tower/Subway style. That is, you don't get EXP and they're all done in the Set style. No free switches!

That's . . . quite the arm you have there.

Heh, you're gonna be brushin embers outta that fur for days.

"You didn't strangle any of your Pokémon this time! I'm so glad!"

. . . you're making me feel weird. You . . . you all don't like, talk to yours? Jawnie what's this buster talkin' about?

Sure, why not.

- - -

I seek.
just as it has always been."

Yo Jawnie he's usin' a lotta words like potential and ideal and latent. Let's kick his poo poo in.

Music: Battle! PWT Finals

You know . . . really I think Caldra can keep on doing her thing.

Great. Sure.

God I wish you guys were getting experience for this.

The gently caress?

You have gears. You used Magnets, a space alien and gears. You're a real muscle man, ain't ya?

You both have teeth, but Jawnie's are sharper.

Yeah. And yours must be happy . . . being made of metal and stuff.

See you in the next tournament!"

- - -

This isn't Points. You said Points. This is Point.

an' show their stuff!"

We did. Like an hour ago. Nice of you to join us, Roxie.

audience right outta their seats!"

everybody's level of skill!"
a heap of money!"
. . . I feel used.

to improve their skills."

Choro Notes: There is more stuff I'll show at the PWT later on. Much later/

quote:

Driftveil Mightiest - A Medal to prove victory in the Driftveil Tournament in the PWT.
Supereffective Savant - A Medal for Trainers who saw through many foes' weak points and battled to their best advantage.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 21, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Well, that was well worth the wait, also, did you mean Set battle style? Shift means you can switch when the opponent does.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Silegna posted:

Well, that was well worth the wait, also, did you mean Set battle style? Shift means you can switch when the opponent does.

I did. I wrote that part at like 4am :blush:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It's not Rotation and that's all that matters. :colbert:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tlarn posted:

It's not Rotation and that's all that matters. :colbert:

I think you can fight every tournament Rotation style. Or Triple Style, or Double Style.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

This theme here. Oh man, this theme. It's got everything you need in a "final match" theme. Easily one of my favorite parts of the PWT. :allears:

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

StrifeHira posted:

This theme here. Oh man, this theme. It's got everything you need in a "final match" theme. Easily one of my favorite parts of the PWT. :allears:

Something about that song makes me feel nostalgic for . . . something. Right around 44 seconds it reminds me of SOMETHING and I can't place it.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Chorocojo posted:

Something about that song makes me feel nostalgic for . . . something. Right around 44 seconds it reminds me of SOMETHING and I can't place it.

I get an original smash bros vibe, personally.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Chorocojo posted:

It's a little bit Super Smash Brothers theme, and quite a lot of Kirby. It's definitely different from the usual Pokemon fare.

The bit you're talking about, though... I hear Chrono Trigger, specifically the kingdom of Zeal. Just a little.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was thinking Kirby all song long, but now that you point it out, it has a SSB-ish vibe too. In short, this song is really, really Sakurai, despite having nothing to do with him.

Now I'm hoping it gets into SSB4, so we can actually see what Sakurai would do with this song.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

What kind of parent names their child "Bobhiko?"

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Lord_Ventnor posted:

What kind of parent names their child "Bobhiko?"

It's the pokemon world, where Colress is apparently a name, as is people named after trees, and names like Johanna are normal.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

quote:

...tads?

I figure he's meaning like tadpoles, since you're the youth of Unova and all that?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Chorocojo posted:

The segment between 44 and 50 seconds reminds me of "Our Hisou Tensoku"'s chorus, just missing a few notes.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

That part has something that sounds like the 600AD world map from Chrono Trigger, but kicked up several notches.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

That specific part makes me think of the Megaman Zero/ZX games. Though yeah, the majority of it is very Smash-like.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The PWS is really fantastic. Needs to get to post-game, but really, it's like the Gym Leader rematches in HGSS, but better.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Silegna posted:

It's the pokemon world, where Colress is apparently a name, as is people named after trees, and names like Johanna are normal.

And where if your name is a pun based on a pokemon type, you will end up as a gym leader for that type.

I'm now expecting a gym leader named Ashley who uses normal-types instead of fire.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phantasium posted:

That specific part makes me think of the Megaman Zero/ZX games. Though yeah, the majority of it is very Smash-like.

Was gonna say this in fact.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Pyroi posted:

And where if your name is a pun based on a pokemon type, you will end up as a gym leader for that type.

I'm now expecting a gym leader named Ashley who uses normal-types instead of fire.

....Hold on a second. Brock...Misty...Lt.Surge....Erika?(Doesn't remind me of grass), Koga(Ninja name?) Sabrina(reference to Sabrina The Teenage Witch I think.) Blaine(Blaze)...Giovanni, (Geo). Falkner...Falcon. Bugsy...Whitne(White), Morty(Rigamortis), Chuck (Strength) Jasmine( Precious Gem)....Pryce(Ice) and Clair...got nothing.
Roxanne, rock. Brawly, Brawl. Wattson, Watts. Flannery, Flames, and fan. Norman...Normal....Winona, wind. Liza and tate? Outlier. Wallace, water. My god, you're right.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Silegna posted:

Liza and tate? Outlier.

"Levitate" and they're both psychics.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Silegna posted:

....Hold on a second. Brock...Misty...Lt.Surge....Erika?(Doesn't remind me of grass), Koga(Ninja name?) Sabrina(reference to Sabrina The Teenage Witch I think.) Blaine(Blaze)...Giovanni, (Geo). Falkner...Falcon. Bugsy...Whitne(White), Morty(Rigamortis), Chuck (Strength) Jasmine( Precious Gem)....Pryce(Ice) and Clair...got nothing.
Roxanne, rock. Brawly, Brawl. Wattson, Watts. Flannery, Flames, and fan. Norman...Normal....Winona, wind. Liza and tate? Outlier. Wallace, water. My god, you're right.

I thought Erika's name was a reference to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericaceae - that family is simply called "Erika" in German, so the connection came naturally to me.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Levitate" and they're both psychics.

How did I never notice that?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The name Clair comes from Latin "clear, bright, famous". It's a stretch, but it could apply to dragons I guess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Geostomp posted:

How did I never notice that?

You've gotta say it out loud without the &. So "Liza tate."

Only then does it become obvious.

Also: Dragon's Clair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clair.

...is what I assume they were going for. They're pretty consistent with the pun thing, though some are more of a stretch than others.

e:f,b

• Locked thread