Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Been a while since I've posted some old Horseys. Let's start with something small and inoffensive, like...

RACE RELATIONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Those old Horseys are pretty gross but the art is fantastic.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Horsey is a huge shitlord and has always been a huge shitlord.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The black guy in this one is right, though. I mean the cop is going to abuse his power to gently caress with the black guy who in this situation is powerless. These two are not on equal footing.

gently caress "There's blame on both sides" race relations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Was Horsey a Reagan Democrat or something?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

The black guy in this one is right, though. I mean the cop is going to abuse his power to gently caress with the black guy who in this situation is powerless. These two are not on equal footing.

gently caress "There's blame on both sides" race relations.

That's my problem with this comic. One of these two people has the ability to beat and murder the other and face no jail time for it. That's an inherently unequal relationship which makes it funny that the onus is apparently on the black guy to show sympathy for the officer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Surely there is at least one cartoonist with correct opinions, could someone find and post them please?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

carry on then posted:

Surely there is at least one cartoonist with correct opinions, could someone find and post them please?

Excuse me, it's Correct Opinions (note the capitalization).

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I bought a Ward Sutton collection a couple weeks ago, I could scan some of the comics in that if people want. It covers mostly the elections of 2000 and 2004.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The last two Horseys would be great if they were a response to him getting called racist for the first four. A kind of proto-Stan Kelly, right there in real life.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

carry on then posted:

Carlos Latuff, op.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't understand this one bit, but I'm confident that it's terrible.

I'd argue that the good opinion is outweighed by really poor, unclear execution.

I'd like to know the context of the Horseys before I judge them too harshly.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

carry on then posted:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Warning: You're gonna die, dummy!

That should be a real warning label.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Well if not a Proto-Kelly, Horsey certainly would be a Proto-Steve Brule.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd argue that the good opinion is outweighed by really poor, unclear execution.

I'd like to know the context of the Horseys before I judge them too harshly.

Horsey's opinions have improved over time; I think that was one of the surprising things that came up during the big megaposts on him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Horsey's opinions have improved over time; I think that was one of the surprising things that came up during the big megaposts on him.
His opinions in general improved over time, then his foreign policy opinions suddenly got worse after 9/11.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

JT Jag posted:

His opinions in general improved over time, then his foreign policy opinions suddenly got worse after 9/11.

Also: Boobs.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Doesn't Horsey usually have essays to go with his cartoons? Because I'm not finding them blatantly horrible on their own and could imagine they are a lot tamer when put into the context of current events back in the days.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

You even see him almost start to show some empathy to Muslim people in some comics in 2001, one even looks like he finally gets it in either August or early September of that year. Then... :911:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
It returns!

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Spiffster posted:

You even see him almost start to show some empathy to Muslim people in some comics in 2001, one even looks like he finally gets it in either August or early September of that year. Then... :911:

It was published September 7th.

http://m.seattlepi.com/davidhorsey/slideshow/David-Horsey-cartoons-September-2001-14841/photo-980365.php

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Spiffster posted:

I think the one you're talking about is literally from September 9th or something.

edit: September 7th, as said above.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

What's funny is Horsey made exactly this cartoon later, except with harmless looking Basically Trayvon Martin, harmless looking Hispanic Man In A Tanktop, mostly harmless looking racist redneck (he had a CSA flag hat on but mostly just looked like a doofus) and then there's this cop who looks like a loving terminator, so this is definitely something he's changed on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Horsey always struck me as a great window into the average American liberal Democrat voter. He probably thinks of himself as quite left-wing while having a lot of half-understood prejudices and being vulnerable to a lot of easy myths (like Universities being the world of Political Correctness Gone Mad!). The way his foreign policy opinions swung after 9/11 is especially useful to understand how so much of the country could suddenly be so easily misled into war. He falls for just about everything there, including the common "But Afghanistan is the Good War!" thing.

Not a bad guy per se, just someone who needs to be challenged more on his subconscious beliefs and probably has been over the course of his career. His bad opinions feel a lot less firm than the irredeemable stuff put out by McCoy or Ramirez.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 21, 2014

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Is Rall really going for a "i can't hit on hot girls cuz i'll get charged with sexual harassment :cry:" argument, or are my eyes just glazing over?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I forgive Horsey because of his great art

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Yes what a conundrum Winston faces: either being thought of as a faggy fag, or facing "sex-har" charges. Jesus, I can't believe how much Rall projects his insecurities in this.

Alacron posted:

Is Rall really going for a "i can't hit on hot girls cuz i'll get charged with sexual harassment :cry:" argument, or are my eyes just glazing over?

The true core of Rall's dystopia. Who will give him despondent blowjobs in 2024? This haunts him.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

And so do I! The first page is Rall's first bit of almost-caption-free storytelling. WebTV woman tells us that two companies are merging and laying off a bunch of staff; one of those staff members calls Winston. Winston shuts him down, because he'll die soon.

Our main character, ladies and gentlemen.

Companies have the power to basically fire anyone for any reason forever, and once fired, no-one can survive for long. Once you're fired, your money is gone as well. Kind of a company scrip thing. And socially, once you're fired, you're an un-person. It's genuinely creepy.

Dark-haired riot lady looks at Rall Winston, and Rall Winston is completely unable to react. He's too worried about sexual harassment charges to flirt, and so he thinks he might be gay, because that is how homosexuality works, right?

Dark-haried riot lady is apparently a geek, and therefore has superpowers in this world.

These pages are significantly less objectionable than previous ones. Apart from the usual "Winston is an evil poo poo" stuff that you're probably all tired of hearing, these pages have some actual world development that reveals the world to be a real dystopia. I don't know why Rall didn't start with this, because this is probably the strongest part of the story so far.

Alacron posted:

Worse. "I must be gay because I can't summon up the will to hit on hot girls because :byodood: SEXUAL HARASSMENT :byodood:"

Although, remember, Winston did fantasize about raping gay people to death for the crime of being not normal.

e: double negative :argh:

Somfin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 21, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

So, wait, he "never wasted time or energy" on people about to die, but then on the next page he's thinking about them? How does that work?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

These pages are significantly less unobjectionable than previous ones. Apart from the usual "Winston is an evil poo poo" stuff that you're probably all tired of hearing, these pages have some actual world development that reveals the world to be a real dystopia. I don't know why Rall didn't start with this, because this is probably the strongest part of the story so far.

Probably because he did this in one draft, then just said "gently caress it" and published it.

quote:

Worse. "I must be gay because I can't summon up the will to hit on hot girls because :byodood: SEXUAL HARASSMENT :byodood:"

Although, remember, Winston did fantasize about raping gay people to death for the crime of being not normal.

God dammit I hate Rall :negative:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dolash posted:

Horsey always struck me as a great window into the average American liberal Democrat voter.
I wonder who would be a great window into the average LF radical. Hmm.

Hmm.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

ladyboy pancake posted:

RACE RELATIONS

When I first glanced at this comic I thought it was subtle and nuanced and the guy to the left was seeing the cop as a fat, unattractive evil cop, and the cop was confirming his fears by fantasizing of HIMSELF as an attractive gun-toting macho hero. So both man and cop saw the cop as violent and ready to attack, but the cops version was obviously fetishized as a sort of aesthetically suave movie star corrupt cop instead of a "pig".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

crowoutofcontext posted:

When I first glanced at this comic I thought it was subtle and nuanced and the guy to the left was seeing the cop as a fat, unattractive evil cop, and the cop was confirming his fears by fantasizing of HIMSELF as an attractive gun-toting macho hero. So both man and cop saw the cop as violent and ready to attack, but the cops version was obviously fetishized as a sort of aesthetically suave movie star corrupt cop instead of a "pig".

Yeah, the little baggie of white powder isn't really emphasized as much as it probably needed to be.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Send it away!

Was his source material a Cliff's Notes with some bizarre printing error that mixed pages at random between 1984 and Brave New World?

Oh and Winston Rall, if a woman glances at you, and you immediately picture her naked and think she's hitting on you, but you can't turn on the charm without being sexually harassing, then you aren't gay. You're a male chauvinist pig. I don't like using such an old, worn out expression, but you made yourself fit it precisely. Congratulations. You're in good company. :mrapig:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gotta love how the narrator text box is the one calling the woman a "dark-haired bitch". Nice way to project yourself into the comic, Rall.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Oh Allie. Why do you waste your talents on such lame talking points :sigh:

for reference:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Walking home today, I passed by the actual Argentine embassy and started chuckling to myself about Muir's loopy fuckin' plotlines. I'm glad nobody asked what I was laughing about, because imagine trying to explain Muir.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh like you had an inkling beforehand, Ramirez.

Well I mean I had an inkling that the VA is woefully underfunded to provide the poo poo vets need, particularly on the psychiatric side, but you know.

e: new page so I'll quote the cartoon I guess. dear apple pie hubbub please stop posting blocks of cartoons at the end of pages.

• Locked thread