Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I heard Do It Like A Dude for the first time in a while. That was a good song. Too bad the rest of Jessie J's material has been recycled Kelly Clarkson-sounding schlock, she had sub potential...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

She was in the studio last month to record new stuff for the American release of Alive. Harder We Fall, I Miss Her, and Thunder were great, and the solo version of Wild was an improvement.

the truth fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 6, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

the truth posted:

She was in the studio last month to record new stuff for the American release of Alive. Harder We Fall, I Miss Her, and Thunder were great, and the solo version of Wild was an improvement.

Cool, I didn't even know she had a second album. I will have to check it out and see if I like it better than her first.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Fighting words: from her voice to her writing (p sure she writes all of her own songs, including hits for others such as Miley's Party In The USA), I think Jessie J has more raw musicality than any other new female pop artist in the past decade. She seems receptive to fan feedback which will help her have middling success in America for another album or two, but I don't think she has another song that sounds like Do It Like A Dude. Her biggest fault (probably not her choice) is that the "official" songs on her youtube have the tempo or pitch slightly altered. It's 2014... wtf is that?

Watch out for It's My Party, the first song on Alive. It's in ilk of recycled Kelly Clarkson schlock.

edit: She also had a song with David Guetta, Repeat, and the main song for the movie Silver Lining's Playback, called Crazy About You or something like that.

the truth fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 6, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

She really does have a good voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y29eTcRFEl8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked "Price Tag" a lot. It doesn't feel like it's three years old, but then again, nor do "Born This Way" or "Rolling In the Deep".

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I was thinking more Katy Perry than Kelly Clarkson; loads of Jessie J songs sound like KP rejects.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can probably trace the continuum from Kelly Clarkson to Jessie J by way of Katy Perry.

Suffice it to say, both Kelly Clarkson and Jessie J are probably more talented vocalists than Katy Perry, but that's not really saying much, is it? :v:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Lana's West Coast video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxuiw3iMBE

Simple but it has a Mulholland Drive kinda vibe going on. This makes me really excited for Ultraviolence.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not feeling West Coast at all. It doesn't go anywhere. It sounds a lot like Gods & Monsters from her Paradise EP, especially the part around 1:30.

Sia's new video for Chandelier is good, and if you have seen Dance Moms you'll probably recognize the star. I was kind of creeped out for a second when she first runs into the room because I thought she was naked :stonk:.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ9n15L3gk

This came on my iPod today. Having not heard it in years, I wanted to remind everyone of its awesomeness. That is all.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

"New things."

ITS GONNA HAPPEN

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

"New things."

ITS GONNA HAPPEN

While I'm REALLY looking forward to some new La Roux, I really have no idea how this will turn out. I hope the album won't be an overthought mess, as long as they've been working on it. Not to speak of the public reaction, who knows if people even still remember them?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Deep Cuts is the best. Do The Knife count as pop? is there anything else similar to this album?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The new La Roux single Let Me Down Gently premiered today (http://minuetaxtinalol.tumblr.com/post/85412622568).
I've only listened to it once so far, and while it's nice enough, I'm not sure if it's a good comeback single. I think they need something more immediate than a nearly six minute mid-tempo track. I hope they don't make the same mistake as Little Boots and follow up their debut of great three minute pop songs with an album of lengthy mood pieces. Not that the music can't be fantastic, but it's career suicide.

EDIT: There's also a four minute radio edit: http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/la-roux-let-me-down-gently-single-premiere/
It seems that it cuts of a lot of the beginning, and I think it's better for it.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 11, 2014

Elderling
Feb 17, 2007

Anyone keeping track of Bonnie McKee? American Girl was pretty meh, but this one's super fun, I'd guess the studio version will be everywhere in a few weeks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litn-kob8Ss

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Elderling posted:

Anyone keeping track of Bonnie McKee? American Girl was pretty meh, but this one's super fun, I'd guess the studio version will be everywhere in a few weeks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litn-kob8Ss

She's co-written some of Katy Perry and Kesha's biggest hits, and she's hot. I'm stunned she hasn't become a ridiculously huge pop star already.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/first-play-coldplay-ghost/idra.862722892

Coldplay's new album Ghost Stories is streaming on iTunes, if you want to check it out. Although I can't recommend it. I'm listening to it now and the only real high point so far has been Chris Martin trying to do his best Bon Iver impression on Midnight, but even that's not all that interesting. It stunned me when I first heard it a few months ago because it sounded so different from everything they'd done before, but now that I've heard it a few times, any fondness I may have ever had for that song is gone. And that's a single for Christ's sakes! The other singles are Magic, which isn't bad but not particularly impressive either, and A Sky Full Of Stars which is produced by Avicii and sounds like the most generic EDM/pop artist collaboration possible.

There's only 9 tracks on this thing, though, so even though there ain't much worth getting excited about here, at least it's over fairly quickly and doesn't drag on forever.

It's a shame because in the past, they've put out some crazy infectious singles and a bunch of other songs that, while they may not have been anything groundbreaking, were at least fun to listen to over and over again, but there's nothing from either side on here.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 13, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Normally I like Coldplay's singles but when they were on SNL last week they played two very boring, generic songs. I think Chris Martin had an acoustic guitar. It wasn't very good.

Viva la Vida really was a solid song, wasn't it?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

The new La Roux single Let Me Down Gently premiered today (http://minuetaxtinalol.tumblr.com/post/85412622568).
I've only listened to it once so far, and while it's nice enough, I'm not sure if it's a good comeback single. I think they need something more immediate than a nearly six minute mid-tempo track. I hope they don't make the same mistake as Little Boots and follow up their debut of great three minute pop songs with an album of lengthy mood pieces. Not that the music can't be fantastic, but it's career suicide.

I thought Let Me Down Gently is a 'buzz single', no? Regardless I think it's really good. Slight Sinead O'Connor feelings. Also that sax is killer.

LA ROUX TROUBLE IN PARADISE 7 7 2014 MARK IT DOWN

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I thought Let Me Down Gently is a 'buzz single', no?

Is it? I've only seen it referred to as the lead single, with no hint of another single in the pipeline. The albums out in seven weeks, so if there is supposed to be a big push single they don't have THAT much time left to build up hype. That cover is fantastic, by the way!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Is it? I've only seen it referred to as the lead single, with no hint of another single in the pipeline. The albums out in seven weeks, so if there is supposed to be a big push single they don't have THAT much time left to build up hype. That cover is fantastic, by the way!

I remember seeing that it is but now I can't find anything. You're probably right and I'm dumb. And yeah, that cover rocks. Straight out of some 60s brochure.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Is Jason Derulo pop? This song will either be inescapable, or it will flop horrendously.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Is Jason Derulo pop? This song will either be inescapable, or it will flop horrendously.

The Next Great Butt Song.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
This is pretty neat (how many octaves we see from popular musicians)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...tml?no_takeover

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I remember seeing that it is but now I can't find anything. You're probably right and I'm dumb. And yeah, that cover rocks. Straight out of some 60s brochure.

Nope, turns out you were right! "Uptight Downtown" debuted tonight, Popjustice has a stream here: http://www.popjustice.com/songs/la-roux-uptight-downtown/
I like it, but she really has moved away from the sound of her debut. The voice and the songwriting still give away that it's La Roux though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Nope, turns out you were right! "Uptight Downtown" debuted tonight, Popjustice has a stream here: http://www.popjustice.com/songs/la-roux-uptight-downtown/
I like it, but she really has moved away from the sound of her debut. The voice and the songwriting still give away that it's La Roux though.

This is pretty good. The album is sounding quite promising. QUITE PROMISING INDEED.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

The new Cher Lloyd CD is surprisingly good. Sirens would probably be a massive hit, I hope it's a single. I only liked two songs on her debut (Beautiful People and Superhero) but this one is solid the whole way through.

Also has anyone listened to the Royksopp/Robyn collaboration yet? Is it as amazing as I hope it is?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The new Cher Lloyd CD is surprisingly good. Sirens would probably be a massive hit, I hope it's a single. I only liked two songs on her debut (Beautiful People and Superhero) but this one is solid the whole way through.

Also has anyone listened to the Royksopp/Robyn collaboration yet? Is it as amazing as I hope it is?

Yeah the Cher Lloyd album is pretty good.

Röyksopp & Robyn I think definitely give it a listen but keep your expectations in check. 'Sayit' is a monster.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The thing is, it's actually not very pop, but I love it anyway. Monument is just fantastic for all of its ten minutes. I've read reviews that think it drags, the saxophon section in particular, but to me that's nearly the best bit!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Had no clue who Ed Sheeran was, but apparently he sang that Hobbit song. Man what a smooth voice.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I was surprised by how much I liked (loved?) her first album, so I'll give the new one a shot. If you liked her ballad voice in Beautiful People, then try to track down the studio version of Stay. I hope she releases another song that I like more, but I don't think she can.

edit: The American Sticks & Stones also has With Your Love without the nasal rap bridge and Behind The Music. Can't get enough of her brand of white teen girl rap.

edit2: Of note, Riot! also features a full key change in the last chorus. I don't think Cher Lloyd even knows what that means, but it was a nice touch and was a nice way to close the album.

edit3: Just listened to the new album. It's not as good as the first one, but it has some nice songs and is overall significantly more lyrical. Sirens and Bind Your Love stand out.

the truth fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 29, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Stay is very very good indeed, I remember watching when she performed it on X Factor. I'd never heard the original so I was pretty shocked.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I didn't even know it was out and I was waiting for it too. Much too busy this week.
I'll have to grab it and have a listen.

fake edit: just had a quick youtube listen to Sirens and Bind Your Love after the truth's recommendation.
Pretty stoked with both.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I've listened to the new Cher Lloyd album some more and it has grown on me. I don't know if I like it more than her first album because they sound so different. The original album had several tracks that grabbed me on the first listen, but the rest still don't do anything for me. Aside from overall vocal style, the production sounds different, but I like them both equally. Her voice has improved significantly.

If I could change just one thing, it would be how Bind Your Love ends.

the truth fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 29, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Cher Lloyd owns and I wish she would replace Iggy Azalea

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Here's a good Charli XCX song - 'Boom Clap' (featuring clips from some movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPMlIIg_38

Here's a not-as-good Cheryl Cole song - 'Crazy Stupid Love' (featuring the word 'dickmatized').

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEXIGUhk1I

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Here's a good Charli XCX song - 'Boom Clap' (featuring clips from some movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPMlIIg_38
She's so good :allears:

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

I'm kind of curious as to the opinions of the people in this thread. One of the finalists from Rupaul's Drag Race released an album that is actually fairly decent pop. Everyone keeps saying things about how she could be the first to breakthrough to the mainstream side of things outside of Rupaul but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmV62-f-xnU

Personally, I love it and think it's catchy as hell. I could see it becoming popular for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Elucidarius posted:

I'm kind of curious as to the opinions of the people in this thread. One of the finalists from Rupaul's Drag Race released an album that is actually fairly decent pop. Everyone keeps saying things about how she could be the first to breakthrough to the mainstream side of things outside of Rupaul but I'm curious as to what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmV62-f-xnU

Personally, I love it and think it's catchy as hell. I could see it becoming popular for sure.

This is nice. I can definitely imagine it being playing on the radio.