Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All this evil could have been avoided if Link just banged her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder why they're sticking Team Ninja's name on Zelda Musou and how involved they actually are.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Austrian mook posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited to see new things be done with Nintendo IP's. Really great stuff has been made when they get looser about this sort of stuff, like Prime or Mario RPG. Yeah the design is stupid and dumb but I think this could be a fun little game, although I'm trying to temper my expectations as much as is possible. :kiddo:

I have no problem with them branching out their IP, I just wish they'd make better choices. I mean, why does Tecmo-Koei get the pick of all these IPs?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Nintendo throws their ips around every so often and sees what sticks. They had the Phillips games, then Namco and Sega on the Gamecube, Capcom doing handheld stuff through the GBA. It's just one of their quirks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I have no problem with them branching out their IP, I just wish they'd make better choices. I mean, why does Tecmo-Koei get the pick of all these IPs?

The Musou brand has huge appeal in Japan and plays really well to women, plus TK has already shown that their teams can (for better or for worse) handle other major properties and make them sell. It is kind of shocking though that Nintendo and Zelda jumped in on it, usually anime franchises love it but this is really out of the ordinary.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

Nintendo throws their ips around every so often and sees what sticks. They had the Phillips games, then Namco and Sega on the Gamecube, Capcom doing handheld stuff through the GBA. It's just one of their quirks.

Yeah but Tecmo-Koei specifically has been given Metroid AND Pokemon AND Zelda, and it's not like those previous games they did have been massive hits or anything. I used to suspect that they signed some sort of deal during the development of Other M where they negotiated for a longer-term contract, but you'd think a deal like that would have run its course by now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe Nintendo found them really nice to work with, or maybe Zelda Musou was going to be on the Wii like SW3 was?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's possible they're the biggest company that is willing to work with Nintendo, given the dismal sales of Wii U. If it was 3DS, maybe they find someone bigger to collaborate with. Don't forget Namco is handling Smash Bros though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's possible they're the biggest company that is willing to work with Nintendo, given the dismal sales of Wii U. If it was 3DS, maybe they find someone bigger to collaborate with. Don't forget Namco is handling Smash Bros though.

For some reason I think any company would be willing to partner with Nintendo if Nintendo gives them the cash for development, it's not like working with Nintendo is something done out of sheer charity.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

For some reason I think any company would be willing to partner with Nintendo if Nintendo gives them the cash for development, it's not like working with Nintendo is something done out of sheer charity.
Well if it's like Bayonetta 2 then yes, but I'm not sure if that's the case for Hyrule Warriors. If the revenue is split then not many companies would want to gamble on a Wii U exclusive.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess they can truest Koei to have it done in a reasonable timeframe, given that they crank out fifty games a year, but still, I kinda wish they'd thrown a bone to Treasure or someone, lord knows they need it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't really see why it's so ridiculous to make Hyrule Warriors.

Nintendo needs a lot more of their franchises represented on Wii U to get people buying into it, but the real Zelda is probably a year or two away, so here's Tecmo Koei and Omega Force (who make games that sell a lot and have a wide appeal for cheap) to make a weird spinoff that gets people's attention and might help convince some people to buy a Wii U and bring in a larger audience that might not have considered the Warriors brand before. Tecmo Koei gets to kick dirt in Capcom's face and work with a AAA franchise, which (if they do a good job and sell a lot) can use to convince other companies to work with them. Nintendo gets to have a Zelda game out on the Wii U to keep the fans at bay. No one's spending a lot of money on it!

It seems pretty win-win to me. Tecmo Koei's already saying that they're "in talks" with other "big name" companies who want the Warriors treatment, so they're obviously doing something right.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They should work with a studio whose games make money, really. Maybe Ubisoft will still work with them, that bond isn't completely shattered. I have no idea what Ubisoft would bring to a Nintendo IP but they'd probably be able to make a good profit. Combine Nintendo IP with the UbiArts team from Rayman Legends.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I bet it costs them like $10k to make a game since they use the same drat engine in everything they do. They sell 53 copies and they're in the black!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

I don't really see why it's so ridiculous to make Hyrule Warriors.

Nintendo needs a lot more of their franchises represented on Wii U to get people buying into it, but the real Zelda is probably a year or two away, so here's Tecmo Koei and Omega Force (who make games that sell a lot and have a wide appeal for cheap) to make a weird spinoff that gets people's attention and might help convince some people to buy a Wii U and bring in a larger audience that might not have considered the Warriors brand before. Tecmo Koei gets to kick dirt in Capcom's face and work with a AAA franchise, which (if they do a good job and sell a lot) can use to convince other companies to work with them. Nintendo gets to have a Zelda game out on the Wii U to keep the fans at bay. No one's spending a lot of money on it!

It seems pretty win-win to me. Tecmo Koei's already saying that they're "in talks" with other "big name" companies who want the Warriors treatment, so they're obviously doing something right.

It's ridiculous because Nintendo has the pick of the industry and you'd think they'd have more pride than to give one of their big IPS the musou treatment, but then again, Aonuma is famously terrible at action games so maybe he personally really likes them. I'm sure it'll be profitable, and it's better than releasing nothing in the same timeframe, but it still irks me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just to reiterate: I don't like musou games, people shouldn't make them, top-tier developers with the world at their disposal shouldn't commission them, everything is hosed, everybody sucks. -Fred Durst, 1997-2000

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

They should work with a studio whose games make money, really. Maybe Ubisoft will still work with them, that bond isn't completely shattered. I have no idea what Ubisoft would bring to a Nintendo IP but they'd probably be able to make a good profit. Combine Nintendo IP with the UbiArts team from Rayman Legends.

Ice Climbers Legends :3:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Got it, people should only make and play games you like, and it's a bad thing to let your ip be made in the style of a very popular series.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Ubi Art framework would be so neat to pair with certain Nintendo franchises. Imagine a 2D Metroid with HD painted graphics-- something like Transistor's look, but not isometric.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

The Ubi Art framework would be so neat to pair with certain Nintendo franchises. Imagine a 2D Metroid with HD painted graphics-- something like Transistor's look, but not isometric.

How long did it take to make Child of Light? It'd be awesome if they could chug out some new entries of old 2D games with that engine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

Got it, people should only make and play games you like, and it's a bad thing to let your ip be made in the style of a very popular series.

Yes? That's not a question question. Yes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e: dumb post

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

hey it's ok if people don't like the idea of hyrule warriors :)

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
This is the best translation I've heard so far from the Famitsu magazine. Has some details I haven't seen posted here yet.

"Gematsu Dot Com posted:

Building upon leaked details from this week’s issue of Famitsu, the magazine has published an online preview of Hyrule Warriors, the Tecmo Koei and Nintendo collaboration that sees the former’s Dynasty Warriors gameplay motifs transplanted into the latter’s world of The Legend of Zelda.

The game’s storyline revolves around Hyrule once again being besieged by evil forces, with Princess Zelda invariably ending up imprisoned and in need of rescuing. At the center of this trouble is Shia, a witch who was once tasked with maintaining the balance of the Triforce. Although once a good person, Shia came to harbor affections for a hero, which in turn transformed into jealousy towards Zelda for being able to be with him.

Eventually, Shia finds her mind hijacked by the thoughts of an evil being that was once sealed away, leading her to bring disaster to the kingdom. The hero she fell for, as it turns out, is Link, and she now stands in opposition to him with comrades Valga and Wiz at her side, setting into motion another conflict with Hyrule at its epicenter.

Link, meanwhile, is described to be a soldier in training in this game. As is to be expected, he’s tasked with wading his way through Shia and her minions in order to get to Zelda and rescue her. While gray armor is normally what soldiers within Hyrule don, he gets his iconic green garb after Impa gives it to him, sensing a special power emanating from it in response to him.

Gameplay-wise, it’s said to play largely similarly to Tecmo Koei’s previous Dynasty Warriors games in that players will be taking on hordes of enemies all at once, with elements from The Legend of Zelda also included. Z-Targeting is the only specific example mentioned for the time being, which will enable Link to fight enemies one-on-one as is the case in other Legend of Zelda games.

Hyrule Warriors is due out for Wii U on August 14 in Japan, with a 2014 release planned for North America and Europe.

From here: http://gematsu.com/2014/05/hyrule-warriors-story-detailed-new-screenshots

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just to reiterate: I don't like musou games, people shouldn't make them, top-tier developers with the world at their disposal shouldn't commission them, everything is hosed, everybody sucks. -Fred Durst, 1997-2000

Should have given the Zelda License to Bethesda IMO.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

please don't troll

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Spectacle Rock posted:

This is the best translation I've heard so far from the Famitsu magazine. Has some details I haven't seen posted here yet.

From here: http://gematsu.com/2014/05/hyrule-warriors-story-detailed-new-screenshots

What the gently caress does it really take 6+ months to do translation or whatever surely the story can't be that goddamned huge

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

What the gently caress does it really take 6+ months to do translation or whatever surely the story can't be that goddamned huge

Dynasty Warrior games tend to have a whole loving lot of text.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It says it's coming on the same year in NA, so that's less than five months.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's more that they wanna save the NA/PAL announcement for E3, I'm guessing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

romanowski posted:

please don't troll

Well we can't have Obsidian do it, that would mean a delay for New Vegas 2.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It says it's coming on the same year in NA, so that's less than five months.

oh wait we're in 2014 now jesus christ

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

The last thing Zelda games need is a more boring setting and shittier combat

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Austrian mook posted:

The last thing Zelda games need is a more boring setting and shittier combat

This is what the dynasty warriors games are though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Except Dynasty Warriors games are occasionally fun and actually function on consoles.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

Except Dynasty Warriors games are occasionally fun and actually function on consoles.

Well it doesn't have to be like Skyrim.

It could be like Diablo 3 or something.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

This is what the dynasty warriors games are though.

I'd rather play dynasty warriors combat than skyrim combat, every time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

:shrug:

quote:

Partial Sadness IP rights owner and Blooper Team CEO Piotr Babieno - who inherited a portion of the IP from his former days at Nibris - told Eurogamer, "I can confirm [to] you that [the] Sadness IP wasn't for sale."

"They contacted me after publication about 'Sadness' resurrection,'" Babieno said of HullBreach Studios and Cthulhi Games' wishful announcement yesterday. The partial IP-owner noted that he's not been involved in any negotiations regarding selling the property.

Hullbreach's Randy Freer told NintendoLife that the IP is for sale, but there's a bidding war for it that the two small indie teams can't compete with. "The Sadness IP is in the hands of a consortium with four studios currently fighting for the bid, and that while we at HullBreach and Cthulhi would like to make a competing bid and secure rights to Sadness, unfortunately we cannot at this time," Freer explained. "Sorry to fans for any inconvenience."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So what they're saying is that if Sadness ever actually turns into a game, it might be made by a studio who knows what they're doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

On the subject of Hyrule Warriors, I sort of hope it does well enough to inspire them to let them use some of their other IP's for future Musou games.

I think Metroid Musou could be done well if given the chance. Killing much enemies on alien worlds, with the Galatic Federation and the other Hunters available to bump up the character selection.

I think Fire Emblem Musou could make a killing. That series is ALL ABOUT killing heaps of enemies, and they have decades of characters to bring into it.

• Locked thread