Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

I haven't blogged in months. :(

I haven't blogged since I wrote about Cool Dog, which was years ago at this point. I really, really do need to get back into it but I'm a pretty drat lazy person and I getting my thoughts into something semi organized takes me a bit of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can't decide if I wanna write about Inside Llewyn Davis or The Vampire Lovers next.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I haven't blogged in months either, but I try to be very thorough with my blog entries, so I don't get time to really polish them like I want.

EDIT: Also, I'm on a scholarship committee that's gobbling up my free time like a sponge.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Jonny Angel posted:

Nah, it's best to just never say a word like she's been doing thus far. Trolling guys like this is mad tempting, but ultimately not worth it.

I feel like at this point, our gentle prince is desperate for any kind of "win". Like he's invested so much into this that he demands some sort of recognition as a signal that it's all amounted to something. Even if her response is blatantly dismissive, that's just going to let him say "Ah, so it turns out she had no taste at all in the first place" and claim a sort of victory. Just never saying anything at all is going to drive him mad without stopping to his level.

There's nothing to be gained from driving the poor sap mad if he ain't gonna harass twistedladder some more about it. I'm not out to maximize his suffering, per se, but to maximize our enjoyment of his suffering.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

I haven't blogged since I wrote about Cool Dog

INT. BAR - LATE EVENING

Grimy, seedy, dark. Suspicious characters quietly eye each other from across the room. AXLEBLAZE, weathered, unkempt, nurses a glass of whiskey as he slumps against the bar. His voice is tinged with a bitter nostalgia.

AXLEBLAZE
I haven't blogged since I wrote about Cool Dog...

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

CloseFriend posted:

I haven't blogged in months either, but I try to be very thorough with my blog entries, so I don't get time to really polish them like I want.

EDIT: Also, I'm on a scholarship committee that's gobbling up my free time like a sponge.

Yeah, I love writing up blog posts about movies and whatnot but I have virtually no time to myself. It's kind of tragic.

As a result I end up tweeting most of my movie thoughts.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Angel posted:

INT. BAR - LATE EVENING

Grimy, seedy, dark. Suspicious characters quietly eye each other from across the room. AXLEBLAZE, weathered, unkempt, nurses a glass of whiskey as he slumps against the bar. His voice is tinged with a bitter nostalgia.

AXLEBLAZE
I haven't blogged since I wrote about Cool Dog...

Hey don't laugh, to this day I get flashbacks whenever I see a dog in sunglasses.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That dog was too cool to die, it's reasonable he'd leave an impression.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

http://onestarnetflixreviews.tumblr.com/

On Anatomy of a Murder posted:

I teach film. I know film. And I know that out of that era of Hollywood directors Otto Preminger was the sloppiest director of the bunch. He was the Joel Schumacher of that era.

— On Cinema Paradiso posted:

was extremely disappointed and appalled at the explicit sexual content
Ok, this one might be a genuine joke...I hope

On Come And See posted:

Very good explosions

On The Pervert’s Guide To Ideology posted:

Not really a movie, not even a documentary, but the babbling of an unkempt man with a heavy foreign accent, having an abstract discussion with himself.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I can see what he's talking about, though; I distinctly remember turning my nose at the extreme and frequent zooming close-up shots of Jimmy Stewart's rear end cheeks in that film.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can't decide if I wanna write about Inside Llewyn Davis or The Vampire Lovers next.

Write about something good instead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was digging through pictures on an old external hard drive and found this one from January 2008:

It was after the end credits on some DVD but I can't even remember what movie it's from now. I just know it made me laugh and laugh, even years later when I'd think about it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

on The Hunt posted:

children lie ALL the time!!

I feel like that's the wrong message to take from that movie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was digging through pictures on an old external hard drive and found this one from January 2008:

It was after the end credits on some DVD but I can't even remember what movie it's from now. I just know it made me laugh and laugh, even years later when I'd think about it.

I always liked the content descriptor for Aliens Vs Predator, which was something like "Rated PG-13 for fantasy violence and slime".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Slime is a very serious thing, and always has been. The MPAA does not cut corners when it comes to slime content in film.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So that's why my History of Nickelodeon movie kept getting rated NC-17.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yoshifan823 posted:

So that's why my History of Nickelodeon movie kept getting rated NC-17.

Slime is a metaphor for semen so it makes sense.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Oh these are beautiful:

On Pain & Gain posted:

sad in a alternate reality sort of way.

On Fargo posted:

there was no point whatsoever for the Asian guy to be in it

On Metropolis posted:

Heres my metaphor: If you get excited by the wheel, WATCH IT! If you get excited by the IPAD, don’t waste your time.

On Apocalypse Now posted:

it’s just a boring three-hour boat ride down a river to go find marlon brando

On Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed posted:

the link that Stein makes from Hitler’s Arian race to Darwinism is more than believable.

On The Notebook posted:

I THOUGHT THE SEX SCEAN WAS VERY SEXY AS HELL.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Coaaab posted:

Oh these are beautiful:

The one for the Notebook just broke me, I can't stop laughing.

I need to know more. I need to know what frightened them.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Coaaab posted:

Oh these are beautiful:

Cabin in the Woods posted:

It says what it wants to say well enough, but what it wants to say is horseshit

This one is definitely a goon, I remember reading that exact phrase.

edit:

Blue is the Warmest Color posted:

there was a hell of a lot of French in this film

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Criminal Minded posted:

This one is definitely a goon, I remember reading that exact phrase.

edit:

That's an old smuggo cliche.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Saw "Tank Girl" today :stare:. It was amazing. Perfect casting, great color use. And is there any limit to what Ice-T will do?

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 22, 2014

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Godzilla vs. Mothra review posted:

Dated, and just stupid. Nothing like the other Godzilla films.

Why Godzilla vs. Mothra in particular?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FishBulb posted:

In a tunnel near my house someone just wrote the word fart. It is my favorite graffiti ever. Rules so hard.

Is this in or around Boston? Because I've also seen that recently.

edit:

On Desperado posted:

I just don’t understand why every single Antonio Banderas film has to be about him f-u-c-k-i-n-g every woman in sight

edit2:

On Re-Animator posted:

I’m embarrassed that I made the post office drag it to my house.

gently caress this guy.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 22, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jesus Christ those one star review blurbs broke my loving brain. They're almost worse than imdb comments.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know, I'm generally against film pirating, but something like this would bring me much joy to see up on the internet at large, because seriously, $500,000 for a DVD is dumb as hell, y'all.

I feel the exact same way about that stupid Wu Tang album that's only going to be one copy. I hope whoever they sell it off to immediately rips it and puts it on every rap/music blog on the world wide web. If I had the money, I'd do it myself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

IMDB goofs posted:

When Fang Da brought his girlfriend home to visit his mother, he was seen opening the door with his left arm, when it's already been established that he lost his left arm from the earthquake.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Y'know, I'm generally against film pirating, but something like this would bring me much joy to see up on the internet at large, because seriously, $500,000 for a DVD is dumb as hell, y'all.

If everyone could have a copy it wouldn't have the same mystique! Also, I've never actually seen the Cremaster Cycle, but it screens in places now and again and from what I hear it's not very good.

Also when I read this:

quote:

The full series was released in a limited series of 20 sets of DVDs, sold each for at least $100,000, in custom packaging – as fine art, rather than mass-market movies.

It makes me want to roll my eyes hard enough to injure myself.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 22, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I will make my art more arty by limiting exposure. Once there's too much exposure, my art ceases to be art. This way, those 20 people can experience art, knowing that they are arting harder than others.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Not to be all :filez: but you can pretty easily find The Cremaster Cycle floating around the internet. I have no idea what the quality is like but it's out there.

Crispin Glover's It is Fine! Everything is Fine, on the other hand...

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been wanting to make fake reviews where I say that Requiem for a Dream "really ruined rear end-to-rear end for me" and praise Irréversible for the "crackling sexual interplay between Monica Bellucci and Jo Prestia." Now I've found the place to do it!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I will make my art more arty by limiting exposure. Once there's too much exposure, my art ceases to be art. This way, those 20 people can experience art, knowing that they are arting harder than others.

Pretty much this, but I also assume that he was masturbating in front of a body length mirror as well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Lego Movie was an odd beast. At times it got obnoxiously busy, substituted heart with Juno-esque witticism and was doused with an annoying (though obviously obligatory, considering the product) pop-culture sauce.

That said, it's still hugely enjoyable. While of course a 90 minute advertisement for plastic blocks, it really goes above and beyond with the distinct and downright lovable Lego style. The movements alone are a constant source of entertainment. It looks stellar, the cinematography is frankly some of the best I've seen in a CG film, the attention to detail is meticulous and it can be really funny.

It's so, so, so much better than it probably would have been in the hands of someone else.

It's good. Although apparently Will Ferrel has the one voice for CG movies, because he just sounds like Megamind again.

Followed that up with Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 which was totally okay, even when compared to The Lego Movie. It's more of the same as CWACM 1, but very enjoyable. I really couldn't stand the weirdo villain though, and Will Forte really did nothing interesting with the VO. Shame.

I followed that up with A.C.O.D., making me one of like a dozen people who saw that completely forgettable garbage. It's a 90 minute humor free zone and rightfully bombed.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
These one line reviews remind me of a post in the Upstream Color thread. Someone related their friend's summation which was something like: "Featured more pigs than expected".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I was browsing the IMDB Top 250 for the first time in ages looking for some basic movie recommendations for a non-movie savvy friend and aside from a few bizarre new entries, I found out that Jurassic Park and La Dolce Vita (currently at a laughable 248 and 249th place respectively) is about a couple of votes away of falling out of the list altogether to be overtaken by Blood Diamond.

Blood Diamond.

I'm not breaking new ground by saying the entire thing is arbitrary, but it's still pretty funny to me.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Monkeyseesaw posted:

These one line reviews remind me of a post in the Upstream Color thread. Someone related their friend's summation which was something like: "Featured more pigs than expected".

I'm really pissed off that there wasn't a point in the writing process of Upstream Color where Shane Carruth wrote PIGS on a chalkboard and someone else got up and changed the I into a U.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

effectual posted:

Saw "Tank Girl" today :stare:. It was amazing. Perfect casting, great color use. And is there any limit to what Ice-T will do?

Tank Girl is great, it got me into 'alternative' comics as a teenager. Everyone in that movie just looks like they're having so much drat FUN that you can't help but get caught up in it. Sorta related, still pissed that The Maxx never got a real series.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Friedpundit posted:

I'm really pissed off that there wasn't a point in the writing process of Upstream Color where Shane Carruth wrote PIGS on a chalkboard and someone else got up and changed the I into a U.

I'm thrilled, pugs are terrible.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I *love* Tank Girl. I heard it was pretty poorly received but yeah, it's a fantastic film and McDowell is always worth watching. It looks great, too, no idea what the budget was but it feels really authentically punky/alternative which is kind of rare on big budgets. The PD was Catherine Hardwicke and I guess she would have been fairly young at the time. Films of that size tend to go to older, more experienced designers.

Female PDs are really rare when it comes to helming big pictures - probably rarer than female DPs - and I've never known why that is. I'd say the Art Department in general seems to be maybe 65% women so it's puzzling why only a tiny proportion reach the top. There's a lot of institutionalised sexism in this industry though, so maybe it's that. I've noticed that Hardwicke moved onto directing a couple of years ago which seems to be a common enough progression - usually borne of being frustrated by poo poo directors that don't know how to use sets :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I really think I'd have to quit my job if I were too do any type of serious blogging. I write for almost eight hours a day straight, plus Current Releases, so the LAST thing I want to do in my spare time is sit in front of a computer and write more. This is also why I haven't done a new Political Theater episode in over a month, I have a half-written script sitting here.

More importantly, though, is since I have had to do corporatr blogging, the sheer amount of shadiness and bullshit that goes into marketing and making people actually READ this article, the work that goes into trying to get something to "go viral" (which is loving stupid because that is literally impossible to predict), has put a bad taste in my mouth. I can see it as a necessary evil, but man do I not like it.

I have been thinking lately that instead of grad school, maybe a better use of debt would be staying at work one more year, then getting a business loan and just starting my own site, and hiring someone to do the PR/Marketing for me.

• Locked thread