Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamn, #5 is just beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Bored of Canada.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hey who bought a TR-8? At $500 I might just stick with my little Korg and my old DR-110. I really want something easier to gig with though.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I grabbed one. I'm bored of it already - the money is better used on iPad/Gadget.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I grabbed one. If you want more variety, get an Electribe SX or something. It's a really simple unit and perhaps it'll drive the point home that a 909 is also a pretty simple unit since it's not likely that anyone's going to be using song mode anyway, it's probably all realtime programming and switching patterns.

I think it's pretty nice :frogbon:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I really just want something that plays patterns with big buttons so i can use my left hand for a bass synth while my buddy sings and plays guitar. The little korg thing is nice but it's tiny and I'm not a huge fan of touch controls

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Heads up, Cakewalk is running a promotion, I just scored z3ta+2 for €36.75

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

wayfinder posted:

Nice catch. That was the only plugin I demoed during my supersaw frenzy a few weeks ago that I didn't purchase, since its demo was so generous. Definitely worth getting at this sale price.

Also, WTF you can buy plugins on Steam now?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

wayfinder posted:

Is this the same plugin that was on sale a while back (I want to say around the beginning of the year)?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Z3ta is worth grabbing if only for the fact that it's got essentially an era-defining preset patch which honestly sounds really really good. That and it's crazy powerful.

I'd probably grab a cheap MPC before a TR-8 unless one came along for a stupidly low price, they weren't overwhelmingly interesting to me but I definitely see their appeal for something simple to use for loving with live. Also, I played with the TB-3 a bit more and I've got to admit the first scatter setting is legitimately useful. Also patch A25 is trippy as gently caress in the best way.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Thanks guys :). Definitely some very BoC-esque power inside the 4PM.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Z3ta is worth grabbing if only for the fact that it's got essentially an era-defining preset patch which honestly sounds really really good. That and it's crazy powerful.

Which patch would that be?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Reaktor is $99 again too, new version probably imminent.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

BKPR posted:

Which patch would that be?

I think it's called "chords of life"?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

Reaktor is $99 again too, new version probably imminent.

I'd had Reaktor for a couple of years without really messing with it, as I got KU mostly for Kontakt and all the associated content. I just started poking around in the Reaktor user content area on NI's site, though, and holy freaking poo poo.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Trig Discipline posted:

I'd had Reaktor for a couple of years without really messing with it, as I got KU mostly for Kontakt and all the associated content. I just started poking around in the Reaktor user content area on NI's site, though, and holy freaking poo poo.
Yeah. So much interesting stuff.

Aside from Absynth, Reaktor's the NI product I understand the least. Thinking about picking up the Groove3 tutorial on it this weekend. (Much as I love MacProVideo, their Reaktor thing isn't very good.)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trig Discipline posted:

Radiapathy posted:

Yeah. So much interesting stuff.

Aside from Absynth, Reaktor's the NI product I understand the least. Thinking about picking up the Groove3 tutorial on it this weekend. (Much as I love MacProVideo, their Reaktor thing isn't very good.)

Reaktor is amazing, but there is a stupidly steep learning curve to it once you get past the basics which is where I'm at currently with it. I will say that it sucks Razor isn't a part of the sale since it's a really great synth and much more user friendly than anything else I've seen from Reaktor both from the stock instruments and the user downloaded ones. It's pretty much the reason why I still go to Reaktor after getting Alchemy.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Finally pulling the plug and buying a Machinedrum UW+ today :getin: gettin ready to devote my life to the gods of param locks

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scatterfold posted:

Finally pulling the plug and buying a Machinedrum UW+ today :getin: gettin ready to devote my life to the gods of param locks

Do iiiiiiit as long as you're financially capable

I've had so much fun with mice since I got it. They're such versatile machines it's amazing.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So for those not facebook stalking me, I figured that my carry-on from my move might be appreciated. It's important when you're making a major move to make sure that you've got at least some neccesities in case checked bags don't make it so that you're not left unable to go about your daily life, get dressed, etc.

So naturally:

It is also incredibly important to make sure that you use appropriate padding for the material you are moving, such as soft clothing, bubble wrap, or MIDI cables:

And most importantly, any move should be made with the consideration for how cool the area code is.

Sizone we need to chill irl now.

java
May 7, 2005

So after lurking this thread and the previous one, I finally bit the bullet and bought a microbrute/my first synth. I've seen a lot of folks online use an analog delay pedal along with this keyboard to give the sound a bit more depth. I'm curious if anyone has any specific recommendations for analog delay pedals? The two that I've seen used most are the MXR carbon copy and the Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter Analog Delay. Any others I should check out?

java fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 24, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've been in love with the Carbon Copy ever since I plugged one into a x0xb0x, so I'd recommend that unless you're in need of stereo out. They're up on eBay super cheap every now and then.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Stereo is pretty essential as a feature in a delay/reverb/chorus/whatever pedal but if your only instrument so far is a Microbrute then a basic mono pedal is fine. I've always wanted to try some of those old school BOSS delay pedals. I've heard good things about the new MiniFoogers too but they're not as cheap.

Check out this article to get some more ideas: http://www.musicradar.com/us/totalguitar/best-delay-pedals-15-of-our-favourites-258753/1

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I am now the proud owner of a Kronos x88.

Spent a solid two hours in a music store today switching back and forth between the Kronos and the Nord Stage 2. Wasn't even a contest really. The Kronos interface was nice and intuitive and I managed to figure out most things on my own. The Nord was a bit opaque in places without a manual. Keybeds were pretty much a dead heat as far as feel/playability. The only downside is the Kronos is HUGE and weighs a shitton. Other than that, I got the 88 key Kronos for what the 73 key Nord cost. So. Happy so far.

Thanks for the advice.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

HaB posted:

So I am now the proud owner of a Kronos x88.

Spent a solid two hours in a music store today switching back and forth between the Kronos and the Nord Stage 2. Wasn't even a contest really.

I think I'm going to cry.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
The Kronos looks like a super fun board that I'd love to play with. That MOD 7 FM engine seems amazing and the Kronos itself seems very flexible. There's a synth guy/artist called Noisetheorem that swears by it, and creates some really amazing stuff with a mixture of the Kronos and modular gear. The Nord Stage 2 doesn't interest me very much.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sizone we need to chill irl now.

No nothing for another 2 weeks or so, teaching a logic course which, when added to regular job, means I'm working about 60 hours a week.
Did get a chance to check out your Wavestation at Westside music. Looks good, think they want 250$ for it, also a pretty nice D-50 and a ASR-10 rack.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

net work error posted:

Do iiiiiiit as long as you're financially capable

I've had so much fun with mice since I got it. They're such versatile machines it's amazing.

Got it! Last one in stock. Also grabbed Reaktor on sale after years and years of using an old version. Going to spend today in the garden using one to sequence the other and vice versa, or maybe in a loop, or who knows what :q:

Also I knew the sequencer was tight but holy crap

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Count me in for the Reaktor sale. I don't know why I bought it. Everyone else was and I just wanted to fit in :smith:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Spent most of the weekend futzing about with the Kronos.

Pretty daunting for someone who is fairly new to Synths. Been working through the tutorials in the "How Do I Recreate That Sound?" thread, but translating those into the Kronos itself has proven...uh...difficult.

Yoozer wrote tutorials for use on Synth1, which is about a dead-simple as it can be and has all the parameters on ONE screen. The Kronos has pages and pages of crap - most of which I have no idea what it does. Guess I need to find a Rosetta stone which will translate "simple 2 oscillator synth" -> Kronosian. (Kronosese? Kronorian?)

The thing sounds amazing, tho. Running it through our control room's studio monitors and some of the sounds are just freakin gorgeous. Excited to put some of it on tracks.

Funny how old habits die hard. My only issue so far is that I'm POUNDING the keys, since you pretty much had to do that with the Juno since it felt so cheap/lovely. I am having to learn how to play with some semblance of TOUCH again. :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

HaB posted:

Guess I need to find a Rosetta stone which will translate "simple 2 oscillator synth" -> Kronosian. (Kronosese? Kronorian?)

Korgese :colbert:

You have several engines, so it depends on which one you're using. The Synth 1 principles can be applied to the AL-1 or Polysix but are no help whatsoever with MOD-7. Focus on one engine at a time (Polysix for starters is nice and simple), start from an initialized patch, and forget about MOD-7 for the time.

quote:

Funny how old habits die hard. My only issue so far is that I'm POUNDING the keys, since you pretty much had to do that with the Juno since it felt so cheap/lovely. I am having to learn how to play with some semblance of TOUCH again. :)

Check the manual for the section about velocity curves (it's likely a global setting, i.e. affecting the entire synth and stored in memory as opposed per patch) - you might use that to un-learn the bad habits faster.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Laserjet 4P posted:

Korgese :colbert:

You have several engines, so it depends on which one you're using. The Synth 1 principles can be applied to the AL-1 or Polysix but are no help whatsoever with MOD-7. Focus on one engine at a time (Polysix for starters is nice and simple), start from an initialized patch, and forget about MOD-7 for the time.

Check the manual for the section about velocity curves (it's likely a global setting, i.e. affecting the entire synth and stored in memory as opposed per patch) - you might use that to un-learn the bad habits faster.

I will give the Polysix a try with the tutorials, then. I appreciate the advice - really. I've been playing music for 30 years, but have never messed with synths beyond "find the closest synth brass patch that sounds like Jump and play that" :)

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
KingKorg, preset 2: Synth 1984

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

KingKorg, preset 2: Synth 1984

It's an Oberheim patch!

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I visited my parents' house over the weekend, and brought this little guy back and it turns out it is more useful than I thought. I bought this about 10 years ago at a thrift store when I was first starting to mess around in FLStudio. We happened to have a MIDI to COM cable, and I hooked it up to play around with. Don't like mini keys, but at the time it was nice. I needed a controller for my setup now that I have a couple that don't have a keyboard. The best part about it is that after some research I discovered that the M3 Function select button is to select MIDI channel! The first 10 white keys are 1-10 and the 11th is Enter. With the S1000 and the TX81Z being multitambral, this will make it much easier to use those. Before it was just JX-3P out into either of them (or sequencing using the spare drum parts on the rhythm track on the MC-500 for the S1000). The M4 apparently changes program 1-128 and was designed for their software. Haven't looked at too many dedicateed MIDI controllers, and it's probably a very standard feature, just thought it was nice this thing pulled through.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I was at the music shop a couple of days ago and I impulse bought a Volca Keys and I absolutely love it, It's an amazing little synth. It sounds great, and I adore the sequencer.

I went back today and bought a Volca Beats, it's kind of neat, but I'll probably return it. It's not bad, it's just that I don't really need it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Some day synth tastes will improve massively. The Yamaha cbx-k1 will be as widely cloned as the tb-303.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Number Two Stunna posted:

I was at the music shop a couple of days ago and I impulse bought a Volca Keys and I absolutely love it, It's an amazing little synth. It sounds great, and I adore the sequencer.

Are you playing it with an external keyboard?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Man, I'm glad I picked up Z3ta, but holy crap it really does have basically every trance build from the 2000s to the early 2010s as a preset.

Maybe I just have the sameness of that trope on the brain, as I was skimming through some recent "Summer Sunsets Miamibizia Crunklifting Groove Sessions 2014" type compilations earlier...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

Are you playing it with an external keyboard?

My roommate also got a volca keys, and I can honestly say that for regular playing around the house, the ribbon controller is actually really satisfying to use.

That being said, If I ever record it or gig with it, I'll most likely use an external keyboard.