Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does homing magic do at all worthwhile damage? I think they buffed it somewhat in Delta but it still feels really weak to me, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Does Delta include all of the DLC from the original release (like Dark Arisen did with Dragon's Dogma)?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Flytrap posted:

So I guess I should just get some better spells and sigils? I'm just trying to figure out how to kill the minotaur. I get that I have to break her axe first, but that takes most of my casts, and I can't sacrifice anything to get my casts back, and there are not nearly enough restoration points.

I guess I just need to be able to kill the axe and the minotaur in fewer casts.

You can totally sacrifice things, just not the archefiend. There's also points around the map that refill your casts, find them with minds eye. Are you boosting your spells? When you get 2 of a spell you can combine them into a * version of the spell that has more casts. Press Triangle when hovering over it in the menu. You can get up to a *** version of every spell.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does homing magic do at all worthwhile damage? I think they buffed it somewhat in Delta but it still feels really weak to me, for whatever reason.

It does ok damage but the real benefit of it is it's range and homing. Make sure you're fully charging it before you release. There's new version of homing that you don't need to charge and have weirder patterns.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Does Delta include all of the DLC from the original release (like Dark Arisen did with Dragon's Dogma)?

Yes. All DLC bosses and BRs and costumes are in the game. All of it was free in SS anyway so it's not like it's a deal. The only things that doesn't exist are JP voice overs and the Angelus Black Rite is now what happens when you sacrifice a holy guy.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 18, 2014

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I've read that Delta includes better/stronger AI allies, can someone elaborate on what that means?
I've played the first game a lot but ultimately had to give up because the postgame werewolf quest kept kicking my rear end and the AI was completely useless, so I'd like to know if that has changed.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Belzac posted:

You can totally sacrifice things, just not the archefiend. There's also points around the map that refill your casts, find them with minds eye. Are you boosting your spells? When you get 2 of a spell you can combine them into a * version of the spell that has more casts. Press Triangle when hovering over it in the menu. You can get up to a *** version of every spell.

Yeah, most of the spells I'm bringing are 2-3 stars. Knowing that I can sacrifice the mobs actually helps a lot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

scissorman posted:

I've read that Delta includes better/stronger AI allies, can someone elaborate on what that means?
I've played the first game a lot but ultimately had to give up because the postgame werewolf quest kept kicking my rear end and the AI was completely useless, so I'd like to know if that has changed.

They have more and better spells without having to grind, they generally act more intelligent (retreating to heal, block attacks, dodging), and can actually save each other with you having to babysit them. There's also a rumor that allows you to boost their power. That said it's still better to solo as it reduces boss health.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Belzac posted:

They have more and better spells without having to grind, they generally act more intelligent (retreating to heal, block attacks, dodging), and can actually save each other with you having to babysit them. There's also a rumor that allows you to boost their power. That said it's still better to solo as it reduces boss health.

I found that I needed the revives from my allies, especially against the werewolf-type enemies (the werewolf was a reskin of another monster) because they were ridiculously fast and strong.
Have you encountered this enemy in the new game?
How did you fare against it?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

scissorman posted:

I found that I needed the revives from my allies, especially against the werewolf-type enemies (the werewolf was a reskin of another monster) because they were ridiculously fast and strong.
Have you encountered this enemy in the new game?
How did you fare against it?

Werewolf is a redo of Cerberus and is dealt with the same way. Dodge through his claw attacks and block his charges. He doesn't have Cerberus' spear attack and has a much easier to dodge aoe fire attack that you just run away from. Pretty easy to solo with frost weapons.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lock On, Evasive Dash Magic, Weapon / Spear / Arm (dunno about Arm, it's kinda slow).

When he's on fours, getting ready to do his charge, dash forward and strike his head like once or twice, then dash back twice and then evade as needed. When he's on two legs, aim for his cursed arm (forgot if it's right or left). Stay away from him when he's attacking, dash in when he's standing still, strike a few times, dash away. His ground projectile attack is easy enough to avoid since you can see him get ready to strike, just dash to the side, pause for a second and dash in a different direction. You can even dash towards him after the first projectile to hit him again.

When he starts hunching down to charge up his roar attack, just dash away, let him do his thing and then come back and hit him after that's over.

I loving love Evasion Magic and the new Dash + Melee mechanic. Went from using an all throw build in SS to a slash-and-dash oriented one in Delta. Sorta hard to hit cursed parts, though. No wings, no Cyclops eye, no Siren staff, etc. I know the Mole Evasion Magic could work, but I find it so slow compared to the Dash.

And what's this about Beelzebub being really loving hard to melee?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

I'm having too much fun playing dress up.

Also Beezlebro is pretty easy to melee. Bringing a fire weapon will burn off his flies (use mines for max burning) and then you can just chase him around and melee him. When he enrages just strafe around him till he gets stuck in a loop trying to turn to get you but you're always too far for him to turn. Then you can just clip of his wings with ease.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And what's this about Beelzebub being really loving hard to melee?

He's pretty hard to hit in general, but I didn't havetoo much trouble hitting him with weapon+speed.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I love the new monsters they've added in for Delta. The shift towards fairy tales fits in really well, and it adds a bit more goofiness to the macabre (but still sorta goofy) base game.

I am absolutely terrified of Red Riding Hood. At first I thought it was just a Cerberus type (which gave me a lot of hassle in the past until I learned how good shields are in most fights) but then it showed off its /other/ moves. I still have no idea how to kill it effectively, but I look forward to discovering it.

In all hunting action games I like running support builds, and I had assumed Sanctuarium would give me the best route for that, but beyond the healing amps and shield extend, there's not much to go on. I was hoping to make some kind off gimmicky Terrain/Healing build, or experimenting with Aboreals. Apparently you can cross-breed them to make a temporary invincibility buff.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Six Of Spades posted:

In all hunting action games I like running support builds, and I had assumed Sanctuarium would give me the best route for that, but beyond the healing amps and shield extend, there's not much to go on. I was hoping to make some kind off gimmicky Terrain/Healing build, or experimenting with Aboreals. Apparently you can cross-breed them to make a temporary invincibility buff.

The main means of "support" in this game was the abuse of Timesand and its various spawn, which is now much less effective in this game due to timesand having its hp penalty increased by almost double. It means that Grimm are now much more effective at executing it because of their extended HP bars (sanct/avalon dont get HP buffs until much later and they aren't nearly as massive), but it's a waste for them since they can just be dealing damage. You can always use Hourglasses, but they have limited uses and have sharp declines in efficiency after the first use.

Arboreal stuff is also filed under Grimm, and while the extended/boosted Arboreal buffs are amazing, you don't get access to those sigils as Sanct.

Parasite is actually a pretty good way to support your team. Parasite inflicts a slow effect on the enemy, and can be healed off to explode for a stun. If you heal it just a little bit, the 2nd-stage parasite affliction has an even greater slow (3rd-stage is when it explodes into roses for the stun).

I haven't done much testing but I've heard really good things about the damage from the shockwaves on Epic Shields (either same element armor+shield, or have somebody use a same element breath on your shield), so that might not be a bad option! Bring along some kind of lure offering or taunt sigil and take up residence near a wall, could prove fairly useful.

As much as I hate to admit it though, the best way to responsibly support a competent team of players is to also just be a competent damage dealer yourself. Blood and Spear aren't going to match up to Avalon shenanigans, but you do get really good damage out of properly resonance'd sigils. Japanese people are already aware of it and I imagine the rest of the world will find out shortly, but Tyrant's Bindings (AKA Dullahan Armor, the offering you get for breaking all of his curse parts) is OP AS gently caress and makes you basically invincible.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Anyone know where I can get Chimera LE/SE?

The only mission I can find for it gives LE+/SE+.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Blank pages can randomly create lower level versions of monsters that you normally can't fight. Also I'm pretty sure you can still get regular LE/SEs from higher level monsters, they just have a higher chance for pluses. You're just lucky I guess.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Pluses aren't fixed. It's completely random, with various factors weighing the likelihood of getting some + variant.

The easiest way is to bring along a Testament for the opposite faction for the energy you need and use it on the lowest level version of that monster you can find. If you need an LE, bring a Magus Teastament and use it before you save. Vice Versa for SE.

E: completely forgot about blank pages, that is an option too, though super random

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Emalde posted:

Support Chat 2014

I see! I really like the idea of making enemies burst into roses, I shall work that into my builds. When it comes to healing them, does that mean using the AOE heal skills only, or can I use the thrown heal (which is loving incredible by the way) once they're seeded?

Since you can 'reincarnate' once you reach 100, I may continue on my Sanct alignment for now, and go Grim on my second pass through.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Six Of Spades posted:

I see! I really like the idea of making enemies burst into roses, I shall work that into my builds. When it comes to healing them, does that mean using the AOE heal skills only, or can I use the thrown heal (which is loving incredible by the way) once they're seeded?

Since you can 'reincarnate' once you reach 100, I may continue on my Sanct alignment for now, and go Grim on my second pass through.

Halebloom will also work to trigger Parasite, yes.

I've actually just discovered that there is an arboreal combination that makes it work using two slots regardless of your alignment: Healing Fruit fused into Wallblossom Fruit will create Phoenix Fruit, which revives spirits from the dead with their black rite in tact regardless of whether they used it previously or not.

This is stupidly, stupidly powerful because you can do this on top of a healing-infused Primordial Bedrock somewhere away from the fight to just create a platform that allows everybody to resurrect infinitely.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So one fruit combo was called cthulean fruit and it makes you dead.

That's it.

You get better after a (long) while.

The combo that makes you immortal does not prevent damage, as far as I can tell. It presumably just prevents death.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Emalde posted:

Halebloom will also work to trigger Parasite, yes.

I've actually just discovered that there is an arboreal combination that makes it work using two slots regardless of your alignment: Healing Fruit fused into Wallblossom Fruit will create Phoenix Fruit, which revives spirits from the dead with their black rite in tact regardless of whether they used it previously or not.

This is stupidly, stupidly powerful because you can do this on top of a healing-infused Primordial Bedrock somewhere away from the fight to just create a platform that allows everybody to resurrect infinitely.

Trees die in one hit and it takes a while to make the tree, make the other tree, get the fruit, fuse the fruit, get another fruit, then use that fruit. Also trees don't last very long. Can you even get back up on a rising once you jump off?

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 20, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

Trees die in one hit and it takes a while to make the tree, make the other tree, get the fruit, fuse the fruit, get another fruit, then use that fruit. Also trees don't last very long. Can you even get back up on a rising once you jump off?

Yeah, you just tap dodge next to it to climb up. When a tree is being actively healed, the fruit grows back and the tree's duration is extended.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You know what's a better strategy? Don't die.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

You know what's a better strategy? Don't die.

Chaining Excaliburs is pretty strong bro. :shrug:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I fired this up (the non-Delta version) on the bus when I was bored. Was there some sort of massive boss nerf at some point? I remember struggling against 8* stuff and now I'm powering through it and pushing into 9* with the same offerings/sigils.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Checking your trophy list--you platinumed Soul Sacrifice in two weeks, Belzac? Wow. I don't have that kind of attention span.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I really really like this game, ok?

Also farming +++s is going to kill me.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Belzac posted:

Also farming +++s is going to kill me.

Maybe if you'd actually play the game with me it wouldn't be so hard!! :mad:

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I got delta and had a lot of fun for about a week but despite all the fixes, this game has some weird design decisions in it.

There is an over abundance of low rank (1-6 stars) quests and archfiends. Despite this there is an under representation of low rank archfiends whose basic SE/LE make good sigils. Pied piper will resonate with a lot of neutral arm folk I think. You need one of each of his SE and LE but he only exists in 7+ stars unless you play the blank page slots over and over to get him to show up. Same thing goes for Hydra and a few others. It's like they made +/++/+++ souls way more common and it actually hurts some builds. I would have been happier if they made Drubbing Sigil III require a pier piper ++ or +++ because to be honest at least that would make sense in terms of getting a high ranked sigil. It should cost higher +s to get better sigils.

This one may be partly my fault but I use R to evade and X to change my offering set in battle. This is fine most of the time but it clashes with save/sacrificing small monsters when you roll away from a small monster or when you start to sacrifice when you're trying to evade an archfiend's attack.

Why does Fate give you a random amount of divine/chaos to your arm? Why isn't it just 50% from each? I know it was added as a way to abstain from voting if you are a chaos user in a team of divines and you know your vote will lose but it's also for neutral arms who want to stay neutral. Almost every 5 levels I would have to readjust after a battle because an archfiend would arbitrarily give me way more divine than chaos for no reason.

I like the change to partners because it was dumb of them to leave if you didn't save/sac the way they liked but you shouldn't have to get S rank for outfits. The outfit system as a whole is kinda dumb and they should have just given you the outfits of unique partners when you unlocked them.

All of those small things aside Delta is fantastic and way better than the original. I actually liked the closure of the story compared to the first game. I like the new archfiends mostly and weapon offerings are actually really good and evasion offerings are fantastic as well. Prestiging your arm is a great way to keep players levelling up and resetting their arms. In the original I got burnt out doing a 1/99 after 50/50 as 99/1 just to get a dumb gold outfit.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
What is it that determines how much it costs to change your faction at any given point? At first I thought it might start to cost more each time you did it, but I've had it cost as little as 15 to as much as 180 lacrima and back again, seemingly in no particular order.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Does the lacrima cost for repairing black rites ever max out or diminish with time? I avoid ever using them because I worry that the cost would eventually get too high and slow me down when I reach a point that I actually need them. I'm not far and I haven't needed one yet but it'd be nice to use them once in a while just because.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Dimix posted:

Does the lacrima cost for repairing black rites ever max out or diminish with time? I avoid ever using them because I worry that the cost would eventually get too high and slow me down when I reach a point that I actually need them. I'm not far and I haven't needed one yet but it'd be nice to use them once in a while just because.

It maxes out at 250, which isn't so bad.

Hopping Ghost posted:

What is it that determines how much it costs to change your faction at any given point? At first I thought it might start to cost more each time you did it, but I've had it cost as little as 15 to as much as 180 lacrima and back again, seemingly in no particular order.

As far as I can tell, it depends on your rank in the current faction.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Wait, Pied Piper is found earliest at Rank 7? That's annoying, but doesn't that then mean it'd be really hard to get his bronze and silver-rank drops?

I am sort-of-ok with the number of low rank quests they have available since the base game had a significant jump in difficulty quite early, but it does mean going back to those early quests is a bit awkward. I have to remember to not take my most powerful weapons, otherwise the monster dies before I can break anything...

I've been playing a lot of random lobbies, and almost everyone is astoundingly polite - but that may just be down to the 'Hello' message being 'A pleasure', which I absolutely love. Still, it makes the ruder players stand out. Last time I played one of the party what impatiently hammering on the Ready button, and when the fight started he died almost immediately. So I sacrificed him without a second thought. Such is the life of a sorcerer.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Mailer posted:

I fired this up (the non-Delta version) on the bus when I was bored. Was there some sort of massive boss nerf at some point? I remember struggling against 8* stuff and now I'm powering through it and pushing into 9* with the same offerings/sigils.

Feels like harpys suction attack was nerfed. I was able to stay away without an evasion power. My companion was sucked up very quickly though so maybe I'm mistaken.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Dimix posted:

Feels like harpys suction attack was nerfed. I was able to stay away without an evasion power. My companion was sucked up very quickly though so maybe I'm mistaken.

You've never needed an evasion power to avoid that, you just had to sprint away.

Unless you're talking about end-game harpies or something, I only have experience with the first one you fight.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm doing significantly better in Soul Sacrifice Delta than the original and I feel like I have a way better handle on and understanding of the game and its mechanics now.

A few questions:

I joined Sanctarium and am generally going for a mostly life build. Is there any kind of actual penalty to sacrificing stuff instead of saving it? If I want to go back and do some of the mission branches that come from sacrificing an archfiend instead of saving it am I gimping myself out of a reward or ability later? The lore of Sancarium seemed to really suggest that sacrificing Archfiends was terrible so I was afraid doing so would have some negative consequence.

Is the only way to get Legendary Sorcerer in most quests to get the Unscathed bonus? I keep finding even in the easy missions that the difference between Legendary and Second-Rate sorcerer is getting hit a single time. Is there any easy stuff I can do besides Countering in missions to boost up my score to get Legendary when I have the Nearly Unscathed bonus, or do I just need to not get hit?

Is there any reason not to always be fusing offerings into the 3-star versions?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

RedRupee posted:

I got delta and had a lot of fun for about a week but despite all the fixes, this game has some weird design decisions in it.

To hard to get low level stuff:

Go do Normal Level blank pages.

RedRupee posted:

This one may be partly my fault but I use R to evade and X to change my offering set in battle. This is fine most of the time but it clashes with save/sacrificing small monsters when you roll away from a small monster or when you start to sacrifice when you're trying to evade an archfiend's attack.

It's also a problem with lock on with the default controls and trying to sacrifice something. It's been like that since the first demo for soul sacrifice.

RedRupee posted:

Why does Fate give you a random amount of divine/chaos to your arm? Why isn't it just 50% from each? I know it was added as a way to abstain from voting if you are a chaos user in a team of divines and you know your vote will lose but it's also for neutral arms who want to stay neutral. Almost every 5 levels I would have to readjust after a battle because an archfiend would arbitrarily give me way more divine than chaos for no reason.

It doesn't. It does it's best to balance out your arm based on the monster and your current levels. Often times it can't so it gives you way too much of one side and then balances it out with the next stuff you fate. This is cause of how the divine/good/evil/berserk souls work and the system trying to work that out. It'll right itself if you keep fating.

RedRupee posted:

I like the change to partners because it was dumb of them to leave if you didn't save/sac the way they liked but you shouldn't have to get S rank for outfits. The outfit system as a whole is kinda dumb and they should have just given you the outfits of unique partners when you unlocked them.

Just go give them a bunch of offerings. You can S rank all partners with out fits in about 5 minutes.

Dimix posted:

Why dodge when you can just punch her in the face to stop it? You could do this in original SS but Delta seems to have added a new way to counter archefiends. If you hit them with a powerful enough attack during certain moves that will get knocked over with a different stun DR than other stuns. This seems to have taken the place of wall locking which is no longer possible.

Aerox posted:

I'm doing significantly better in Soul Sacrifice Delta than the original and I feel like I have a way better handle on and understanding of the game and its mechanics now.

A few questions:

I joined Sanctarium and am generally going for a mostly life build. Is there any kind of actual penalty to sacrificing stuff instead of saving it? If I want to go back and do some of the mission branches that come from sacrificing an archfiend instead of saving it am I gimping myself out of a reward or ability later? The lore of Sancarium seemed to really suggest that sacrificing Archfiends was terrible so I was afraid doing so would have some negative consequence.

Is the only way to get Legendary Sorcerer in most quests to get the Unscathed bonus? I keep finding even in the easy missions that the difference between Legendary and Second-Rate sorcerer is getting hit a single time. Is there any easy stuff I can do besides Countering in missions to boost up my score to get Legendary when I have the Nearly Unscathed bonus, or do I just need to not get hit?

Is there any reason not to always be fusing offerings into the 3-star versions?

Sacrifice away, no one cares. Get counters, use elemental weakness/skillful attacks, break parts, go fast, use score rumors/sigils, but yeah also don't get hit. Yes if you plan to upgrade them to the next full rank a 3* spell could have been 8 + rank spells.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a weirdo who enjoyed playing the original game solo, are the new additions to Delta singleplayer friendly?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm a weirdo who enjoyed playing the original game solo, are the new additions to Delta singleplayer friendly?

It depends on what you mean by solo. If you mean story based content there is several new stories (11 or so chapters of comparable length to chapters from SS) but that's probably something you can burn through in a weekend and might feel bad about spending 40 bucks on. In terms of non-story related stuff there's more than enough to validate the price and none of it requires other players as long as you're will to plan out your build.

Also allies are way better now.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Belzac posted:

Sacrifice away, no one cares. Get counters, use elemental weakness/skillful attacks, break parts, go fast, use score rumors/sigils, but yeah also don't get hit. Yes if you plan to upgrade them to the next full rank a 3* spell could have been 8 + rank spells.

Thanks!

What exactly triggers "Skillful Attack"? I've gotten it a couple times but didn't see an in-game explanation as to what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Aerox posted:

Thanks!

What exactly triggers "Skillful Attack"? I've gotten it a couple times but didn't see an in-game explanation as to what it was.

A skillful attack is when you hit a monster with enough of a certain element to cause a status effect then explode it for damage and a stun.

Example:

You're fighting Cerberus who is weak to Stone. Using stone on him will give you a point bonus but also if you can hit him with enough of it in a short amount of time you'll inflict Petrified Hell which will stun the boss and give you more score. Now while he's petrified, if you hit him with a Venom attack it'll destroy the Petrified status but restun the boss and give you more points.

• Locked thread