Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That Asuka fan video makes me freeze with terror.

So uh, Rebuilds huh. Is there enough of a difference from the show that I should watch them? Or are they the same show redrawn with prettier animation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Bisse posted:

That Asuka fan video makes me freeze with terror.

That's the dub voice of Asuka. Just so you know.

quote:

So uh, Rebuilds huh. Is there enough of a difference from the show that I should watch them? Or are they the same show redrawn with prettier animation?

The first one is basically just the first 6 episodes in film format.
The second one continues similarly but a bit differently. The third one is completely new stuff.

I don't care for them, but a lot of other people do, so do as you like.

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 23, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Franz von Dada posted:

That's the dub voice of Asuka. Just so you know.
That makes it a lot less creepy and a lot more cool.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You think? In my opinion it's waaaay more creepy. It's like she has some psychotic fixation on this one gig she had.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bisse posted:

That makes it a lot less creepy and a lot more cool.

Someone earlier posted something like "the world's biggest Asuka fan isn't some weird dude in a basement. The world's biggest Asuka fan... is Asuka."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To be fair, that's remarkably in character.:stare:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Rebuild 1.0 was the cinema release, 1.1 was the bluray, but it had a problem with colors and contrast, and 1.11 is the fixed version with some added effects on top.

Visually, they're stunning. While it follows NGE, it soon goes in a new direction.

I suggest watching 1.11 and 2.22, then leave 3.33 to watch back to back with 4.44 when it comes out.

[edit]

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 24, 2014

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bisse posted:

Yes. As mentioned, 1.0 is a shot-for-shot remake; 2.0 starts roughly around the time that Asuka first appears but starts diverging rapidly from the source material; and 3.0 is a completely new story. They all still deal with similar themes to the original series, but the emphasis is different (centering more on guilt than loneliness).

And, as also mentioned, they're goddamn gorgeous films. I saw 3.0 in a regular, wide-screen theater and there were more than a few shots that had me held in rapt awe.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

You should be watching it alongside them to watch the reactions in realtime dude

I would, but it's long-distance-ish (I live in Texas, they live in Louisiana- not too far to visit semi-frequently, but too far to do EVERYTHING with them) so the only option would be setting up something with ustream/synchtube/skype/etc.

notZaar posted:

You think? In my opinion it's waaaay more creepy. It's like she has some psychotic fixation on this one gig she had.

I mean, it's not like her VA career died after Eva or anything like that. She just really likes the show and really likes the character she voiced on it. If anyone's got justification to like the character that much, it's her. :shobon:

Bisse posted:

The first one is pretty much a condensed version of the episodes it covers. The second one starts out with some minor differences, then goes completely off the rails towards the end, and 3.33 is entirely new.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I love that the worlds biggest Asuka fan is Tiffany Grant, the commentaries with her are the ones worth watching especially in EoE were her and two others were saying how they did German scientist voices for a radio or tv in the show and they all break out into their mad scientist German accents.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I love that the worlds biggest Asuka fan is Tiffany Grant, the commentaries with her are the ones worth watching especially in EoE were her and two others were saying how they did German scientist voices for a radio or tv in the show and they all break out into their mad scientist German accents.

You can't talk about hammy and cheesy voice acting in anime dubs without mentioning all the extras' voices in early ADV shows. Goodness loving gracious terrible accents and overacting everywhere. It was amazing.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

You can't talk about hammy and cheesy voice acting in anime dubs without mentioning all the extras' voices in early ADV shows. Goodness loving gracious terrible accents and overacting everywhere. It was amazing.

My favorite line reading ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9rndioYxg4

The scream after that was wonderful, too. You could replace the line with "IT'S A GUNDAM!" and it would totally work.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

It's great that Tiffany Grant enjoys playing Asuka, but ASUKA CRAB MEAT?! WHAT.

There's some utterly bizarre merchandise out there for the franchise.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

I think this is the prime example of someone just absolutely not getting it

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, how can you miss the point that hard?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When did "this doesn't make sense!" become nerd shorthand for not liking a thing, anyways...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

quakster posted:

Yeah, how can you miss the point that hard?

It's a webcomic. It's poo poo and dense by default.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's a joke. They were trying to miss the point. If they hit the point straight on in this case, it wouldn't be funny.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They might as well have because it's not funny anyways.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Of course it isn't, it's a webcomic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Srice posted:

When did "this doesn't make sense!" become nerd shorthand for not liking a thing, anyways...

BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT I DO NOT LIKE THINGS THAT ARE NOT LOGICAL.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

My completely-unsubstantiated thoughts are that it's something involving tech fields ("nerd professions") not having the same requirements of critical thinking skills for analyzing works of entertainment as liberal arts.

Source: my rear end :v:

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Ironic nerdism ITWC

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In this... World Center? :psyduck:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously Water Closet, it means 'toilet' in British.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Isn't that the comic written and drawn by two guys that's never funny any way? Makes some of their attempts at humour a bit off when you think about it.

And it's just so badly drawn.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Isn't that the comic written and drawn by two guys that's never funny any way? Makes some of their attempts at humour a bit off when you think about it.

And it's just so badly drawn.

Aren't they paid for this?... Does that make it worse?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus christ I really should not be surprised that Eva fans are this loving autistic with how long I've interacted with them :ughh:

They are making a joke. It's a fairly hacky and not all that funny joke, but y'all are literally going "MY ANIMES :qqsay:" in response to them very gently poking fun at it. Read a goddamn book and have your Two Minutes Hate about something that actually matters in the world, not a disposable webcomic making fun of your Freudian robot animes.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Jesus christ I really should not be surprised that Eva fans are this loving autistic with how long I've interacted with them :ughh:

They are making a joke. It's a fairly hacky and not all that funny joke, but y'all are literally going "MY ANIMES :qqsay:" in response to them very gently poking fun at it. Read a goddamn book and have your Two Minutes Hate about something that actually matters in the world, not a disposable webcomic making fun of your Freudian robot animes.
:goonsay:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Well, it's not like this comic is making that observation for the first time either! It's certainly a common complaint about the show.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I would give them the benefit of the doubt but I can't get over how Asuka looks like a cyclops in that first panel.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 25, 2014

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

I would give them the benefit of the doubt but I can't get over how Asuka looks like a cyclops in that first panel.

She is just trying to move on after EoE, don't make it even harder for her.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

She is just trying to move on after EoE, don't make it even harder for her.

Which reminds me, how does that whole sympathetic damage thing work? I could understand if it extended just to phantom pain or whatever, but I'm not sure how her eye's meant to explode inside her head just because her brain doesn't think it should exist. Is it soul magic?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

Which reminds me, how does that whole sympathetic damage thing work? I could understand if it extended just to phantom pain or whatever, but I'm not sure how her eye's meant to explode inside her head just because her brain doesn't think it should exist. Is it soul magic?

It's phantom pain in the TV series because they can't show horrifying gore. It's physical in EoE because it makes the relevant scene brutal as gently caress. NGE frequently makes very little logical sense because it would get in the way of the tone they're going for. :dealwithit:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The easiest explanation is that it depends on sync ratio. The more in sync you are, the more impact the pain has on you. EoE had Asuka basically crazy-high so the actual result was a lot more horrific.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I think it's happening because she is synchronized too well combined with eva magic, yeah. It might be a side effect of going past 100% but I can't recall if that happened in this case.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Considering that syncing extremely high outright dissolves you, I figure it makes enough sense that syncing just really high would mirror the Eva's wounds.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
In 1.11 when Unit 1 gets hit in the chest, Shinji is later seen with a mark on HIS chest too.

In double checking, Ramiel is still is one of the most god drat awesome things I've seen in anime, and one of my fave Angels, even cooler than Zeruel even though the Zeruel fight it's self was cooler.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Don't like Rebuild, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Mindblast posted:

I think it's happening because she is synchronized too well combined with eva magic, yeah. It might be a side effect of going past 100% but I can't recall if that happened in this case.

Wasn't there an episode of the TV show where Shinji went way past 100% and turned into goop?