Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

juniperjones posted:

I just watched Fire Walk With Me and it was awesome! I put if off because I was afraid it would be crap, but I enjoyed it at least as much as the series, if not more. It's a shame the other three movies were never made, because it answers some really big questions but makes me really curious about other things.

Well now, I'm not going to talk about Judy. In fact, we're not going to talk about Judy at all. We're going to keep her out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Well now, I'm not going to talk about Judy. In fact, we're not going to talk about Judy at all. We're going to keep her out of it.

Yup. gently caress David Lynch and horrible French film financiers.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

juniperjones posted:

Yup. gently caress David Lynch and horrible French film financiers.

What's the story here?

When I watched Fire Walk With Me I don't remember it answering any questions at all! Please share what mysteries it solved, I love Twin Peaks talk.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
So is this bluray set ever coming out or what

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

So is this bluray set ever coming out or what

We'll see it in 25 years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Looks like the gum I like is coming back in style!
The Twin Peaks box set will be released July 29th, and will include 90 minutes of previously unseen footage from Fire Walk With Me

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

From the sound of it, it looks like it'll be bonus features on the disc instead of being edited into the movie. A bit unfortunate but definitely better than nothing, and I'm sure some enterprising soul will edit it all together.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Entire-Mystery-Blu-ray/dp/B00KCTG4PO/?tag=cbcoofsiofcb-20

Holy fucker it looks beautiful. Pre-ordered because why delay the inevitable?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

This will be the 3rd or fourth time I've bought the series. VHS, Gold Box, and I think there was another release between those two where each season was available separately on dvd and it didn't include the pilot.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Captain Mog posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Entire-Mystery-Blu-ray/dp/B00KCTG4PO/?tag=cbcoofsiofcb-20

Holy fucker it looks beautiful. Pre-ordered because why delay the inevitable?

Can't wait! I assume Amazon will be the cheapest preorder, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Surlaw posted:

Can't wait! I assume Amazon will be the cheapest preorder, right?

Yeah. It also might go down and you get the cheapest price. Already preordered it and can not wait to watch it in glorious HD.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Been waiting for this for awhile. The "unseen" footage will probably be dissapointing, but hey, it's Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

From what I've heard, the deleted scenes are being edited and compiled into a movie by David Lynch himself. Also, there's an epilogue at the end.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Also, there's an epilogue at the end.

It's probably going to be the scene they filmed that takes place right after BOB/Coop smashes his head against the mirror, showing Truman's reaction.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Friends Are Evil posted:

From what I've heard, the deleted scenes are being edited and compiled into a movie by David Lynch himself. Also, there's an epilogue at the end.

Seriously?
I thought Lynch refused to touch Fire Walk with Me because he doesn't like to touch a movie after it's finished.
Unless you mean the new footage is being edited together as it's own separate film?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Monagle posted:

Unless you mean the new footage is being edited together as it's own separate film?

Yeah, that's what I meant. According to the description for the trailer:

quote:

Presented as a feature-length experience, "The Missing Pieces" has been directed and edited by Lynch exclusively for this release. Capping off more than 30 deleted/alternate scenes is an epilogue providing a fascinating glimpse beyond the cliffhanger finale of the TV series.

Speaking of which, here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5EqPZMZO4s

1989?

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 18, 2014

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Holy. poo poo.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'm really stoked for extra Chester Desmond and Phillip Jeffries.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm really stoked for extra Chester Desmond and Phillip Jeffries.

Maybe we are going to talk about Judy after all.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Maybe we are going to talk about Judy after all.

Now there's a tagline that would sell me on the deleted scenes that would sell me even quicker than I was already sold.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Long awaited...can't wait for it to arrive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

All I have to say is - Let's Rock

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Wow I hope that $120 list/$90 Amazon comes down a bit, that's kinda nuts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Palmer family reunion

Laura has aged well. Grace Zabriskie ... not so much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh I love that. Stealing it for my cover photo on everything.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

regulargonzalez posted:

Palmer family reunion

She's 73, jeez, give her a break.

uXs fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 21, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

No breaks shall be given.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

uXs posted:

She's 73, jeez, give her a break.

Leland doesn't really age. I hope that they see a market for the reedited footage as a stand alone release.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
So apparently M. Night Shyamalan is coming out with this show called "Wayward Pines" that is so obviously inspired by Twin Peaks I'm surprised he didn't just name it "Double Points" or something. The twist is going to be that it's terrible. In true M Night fashion, you'll see it coming from a mile away.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

regulargonzalez posted:

Palmer family reunion

You'd look bad too if your husband cheated on you with John Cheever.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Captain Mog posted:

So apparently M. Night Shyamalan is coming out with this show called "Wayward Pines" that is so obviously inspired by Twin Peaks I'm surprised he didn't just name it "Double Points" or something. The twist is going to be that it's terrible. In true M Night fashion, you'll see it coming from a mile away.

That and it looks like they put just about everything in the trailer.

The inspiration from Twin Peaks is obvious, but I'm also getting a weird Hot Fuzz vibe, which would be great if they were shooting for comedy but nope.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow, they seriously gave away the "big mystery" in the trailer lol.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
Aside from M. Night Shyamalan sucking, this is great! I can't wait to see the deleted footage

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mrs Boat and I finally wrapped up Twin Peaks last night, so I feel okay about bumping this thread and stopping it from falling into archive limbo.

We watched all of both seasons, and I have to say season 2 wasn't as terrible as a lot of people made out. The only bit totally without merit was James' season 2 subplot, which seems to be universally reviled (I still haven't found a single person on the internet willing to defend it). The criticism I've seen leveled at season 2 the most is that it stops satirising a daytime soap and becomes one, in which case Mark Frost suckered us into unironically liking a daytime soap. There are worse fates.

The finale was very weird, as promised, and the more I think on it the more I like that it didn't really answer anything. Every subplot that wrapped up in the finale did so with the message that digging for answers and trying to force a change will end badly.

Let's start with the most obvious one: Andrew and Pete become obsessed with Thomas Eckhart's mystery box, only to have it literally blow up in their faces.

Donna hacks away to uncover the truth about her mother and Ben Horne and in doing so destroys her family.

Nadine finally recovers from her coma and reverts to being a nervous, paranoid wreck. The only way she was happy was with severe brain damage. :smith:

Both Ben and Audrey Horne try to ham-fistedly become forces for good, and both possibly die as a result.

Windom Earle tries to take control of the Black Lodge, and for his hubris is consumed utterly by BOB.

In fact, the only ones for whom it wraps up well are Shelly and Bobby, who literally return to the beginning of the show, and Lucy and Andy, who don't care about the truth of their baby's father and are determined to find happiness regardless. This dovetails pretty nicely with the show's occasional Buddhist / Taoist themes.

Now onto Fire Walk With Me!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Mrs Boat and I finally wrapped up Twin Peaks last night, so I feel okay about bumping this thread and stopping it from falling into archive limbo.

We watched all of both seasons, and I have to say season 2 wasn't as terrible as a lot of people made out. The only bit totally without merit was James' season 2 subplot, which seems to be universally reviled (I still haven't found a single person on the internet willing to defend it). The criticism I've seen leveled at season 2 the most is that it stops satirising a daytime soap and becomes one, in which case Mark Frost suckered us into unironically liking a daytime soap. There are worse fates.

The finale was very weird, as promised, and the more I think on it the more I like that it didn't really answer anything. Every subplot that wrapped up in the finale did so with the message that digging for answers and trying to force a change will end badly.

Let's start with the most obvious one: Andrew and Pete become obsessed with Thomas Eckhart's mystery box, only to have it literally blow up in their faces.

Donna hacks away to uncover the truth about her mother and Ben Horne and in doing so destroys her family.

Nadine finally recovers from her coma and reverts to being a nervous, paranoid wreck. The only way she was happy was with severe brain damage. :smith:

Both Ben and Audrey Horne try to ham-fistedly become forces for good, and both possibly die as a result.

Windom Earle tries to take control of the Black Lodge, and for his hubris is consumed utterly by BOB.

In fact, the only ones for whom it wraps up well are Shelly and Bobby, who literally return to the beginning of the show, and Lucy and Andy, who don't care about the truth of their baby's father and are determined to find happiness regardless. This dovetails pretty nicely with the show's occasional Buddhist / Taoist themes.

Now onto Fire Walk With Me!

All of this was intentionally left unresolved. David Lynch was literally throwing every cliffhanger he possibly could into the finale in the hopes that some exec, somewhere, would think "man, I have to find out what happens next so I'll pester them to renew it so we can find out!"

Unfortunately, he wasn't successful.

I do have to say that Audrey is probably tied with Agent Cooper as my favorite character. I genuinely cared about both of them by the time the show was over. Audrey really matured and turned into a ray of light for the entire dysfunctional town and I think she could've turned the place around for good, if she'd survived. Same with Cooper- I would've loved to have seen him assimilate fully into Twin Peaks.

I would also like to say that a spin-off would be something I'd be interested in seeing. It wouldn't even have to be about TP in general, just a spin-off set in the same bizarre world with the same mood would make me happy. A big city version of TP would be freaking amazing.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 4, 2014

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah, I'm aware that there were plans for a season 3. I just found it interesting that season 2's finale could work thematically as a series finale, although it means that the message is an incredibly bleak one.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Fair warning that the movie is nothing at all like the show. I finally watched it last night. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as the show, and it's far different.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It took me like 3-4 viewings of the film to realize how good the film was and that it was the best thing possible in the circumstances (and that it is very very good in it's own right, just differs from the show quite a bit). When I saw the film the very first time, I would have strongly agreed with that.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I wouldn't say the movie is generally that much of a deviation from the show, but it sure is less reserved than the series. It's got a lot of Lynchian vibes that remind me of Lost Highway and Inland Empire. And just knowing that, you can expect it to continue down a bleak path.

I personally love the movie, especially in terms of structure. It really ties together the story of what occurred before Laura's death. It also makes you second guess how you feel about some characters and while upholding your feelings on others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ginette Reno posted:

Fair warning that the movie is nothing at all like the show. I finally watched it last night. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as the show, and it's far different.

The movie is a David Lynch movie.

The show is just a serial that happens to have had David Lynch work on it.

• Locked thread