Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PoptartsNinja posted:

You've gotta say it out loud without the &. So "Liza tate."

Only then does it become obvious.

Also: Dragon's Clair

I just realized that the pun goes deeper: every single thing on their team is floating in some manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Put me down as another who never caught Liza and Tate. :cripes:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Silegna posted:

....Hold on a second. Brock...Misty...Lt.Surge....Erika?(Doesn't remind me of grass), Koga(Ninja name?) Sabrina(reference to Sabrina The Teenage Witch I think.) Blaine(Blaze)...Giovanni, (Geo). Falkner...Falcon. Bugsy...Whitne(White), Morty(Rigamortis), Chuck (Strength) Jasmine( Precious Gem)....Pryce(Ice) and Clair...got nothing.
Roxanne, rock. Brawly, Brawl. Wattson, Watts. Flannery, Flames, and fan. Norman...Normal....Winona, wind. Liza and tate? Outlier. Wallace, water. My god, you're right.

Sabrina is also similar to the words abra and brain.
Morty takes more after mortis (latin for death) and mortuary.
Jasmine also has the word mine (which can also refer to mineral) in there.

Also if you take a look at their Japanese names every single gym leader is named after a plant.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The pun name thing kind of falls apart minorly in this gen, though, unless you can explain to me exactly how "Cheren" is a pun on normal...ness. Or how Iris is referring to Dragons.

Everything else more or less fits, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, Cheren wasn't really intended to be a gym leader at first, they just slotted him in for whatever reason in this game.

Iris probably relates to the dragon iris plant.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Chorocojo posted:

Hey maybe he's stopped and listened to them like an adult with an open mind or somethin'!

OH look! I was right, Hugh!

adults are supposed to make?"

I just realized Hugh's whole point in the game. Pokemon is (supposed to be) aimed at kids, right? He's a role model of how not to act.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaziken386 posted:

I just realized Hugh's whole point in the game. Pokemon is (supposed to be) aimed at kids, right? He's a role model of how not to act.

Hugh's whole thing is self-loathing projected outward as rage. He hates himself for failing, especially when you consider why that specific Purrloin means so much to him, and while everyone else is willing to move on from it, he's focused and fixated on it because on top of having failed other people got their pokemon back, but Purrloin never returned.

Look, as a guy who just recently had two puppies stolen, while I was still at home mind you and I didn't even notice, I can certainly empathize more with Hugh than I could when I played the game. Because some motherfucker walked onto my property and STOLE MY loving DOGS and I didn't even like them all that much, yes I could just go and get new ones, that's not the point.

So Hugh is a rival who's obsessed and focused on past failings, notice he never hates you, or projects hatred towards you. He just hates himself.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In most of the more typical shonen anime series, Hugh would be the protagonist. He just happens to be a few years late in leaping to his adventure, and the rest of the world has moved on, such that the people that were actually responsible for kidnapping his sister's Purrloin are mostly just trying to go back to normal or better lives, and the ones that are still into doing crimes don't care about his goals at all.

I think if Hugh just had a Plasma goon twirl their mustache and taunt him about the Purrloin, he- well, he wouldn't be happy per se, but he'd at least stop coming off as so frustrated.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

KataraniSword posted:

The pun name thing kind of falls apart minorly in this gen, though, unless you can explain to me exactly how "Cheren" is a pun on normal...ness. Or how Iris is referring to Dragons.

Everything else more or less fits, though.

"Cheren" is Bulgarian for "black", and "Bianca" is Italian for "white"! :eng101:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Rose Spirit posted:

"Cheren" is Bulgarian for "black", and "Bianca" is Italian for "white"! :eng101:

The word for "black" in my first language is cognate to this and I never even noticed. :negative:

(It's Polish "czarny", with "cz" being read roughly as "ch". Compare "Chernobog".)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Remind me, have we seen a lot of anti-Team Plasma sentiment outside of Hugh? It seems like it should be pretty common.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Glazius posted:

Remind me, have we seen a lot of anti-Team Plasma sentiment outside of Hugh? It seems like it should be pretty common.

He's not the only person still hurt, but a lot of trainers got their pokemon returned to them, and ultimately Plasma lost.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 24, 2014

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I get the feeling most people of the Poke-world barely even know the various Teams exist.

Well, except Team Rocket. Everybody hated on that swagger.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I get the feeling most people of the Poke-world barely even know the various Teams exist.

To be fair, Rocket were the only ones who ever extended past their original region.

Yes, only to an adjacent one, but that's still better than the rest of these chucklefucks in stupid clothes have managed.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Glazius posted:

Haley beat them down really, really hard and did it while also summoning one of the ancient dragons of legend that founded the nation. Most folks considered the matter pretty drat settled after that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Rocket also had an actual plan that made any sort of sense. "Use pokemon for organized crime things; get loving rich".

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Shugojin posted:

Rocket also had an actual plan that made any sort of sense. "Use pokemon for organized crime things; get loving rich".

Their plans were sensible.

Their members were... not.

TM thief, Lift Key, etc.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And the leader?

He's never had much luck with legendaries...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Crosspeice posted:

And the leader?

He's never had much luck with legendaries...

Well, all he ever really wanted was a Pikachu. Statement based entirely on the three episodes of Season One I saw.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dareon posted:

Well, all he ever really wanted was a Pikachu. Statement based entirely on the three episodes of Season One I saw.

He doesn't even want that loving Pikachu, Jessie and James just arbitrarily decided that Pikachu was a good mark.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cleretic posted:

He doesn't even want that loving Pikachu, Jessie and James just arbitrarily decided that Pikachu was a good mark.

Well it did beat an Onix somehow, it's clearly a loose cannon mon who doesn't play by the rules.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cleretic posted:

I always wanted an episode where they finally capture Pikachu, gave it to Giovanni, who flat out refuses it because it's just a Pikachu. :v:

I wonder, did Nintendo's shutdown of the DS servers rob us of any content in this LP?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kazy posted:

I always wanted an episode where they finally capture Pikachu, gave it to Giovanni, who flat out refuses it because it's just a Pikachu. :v:

I wonder, did Nintendo's shutdown of the DS servers rob us of any content in this LP?

I like the episodes where Giovanni says he's just completely forgotten who those three are since he's a busy crime lord and doesn't have time to worry about the delusions of three incompetent underlings.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kazy posted:

No, but the explanation may be verging on :filez: so you may have to take my word for it. :(

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kazy posted:

That almost kinda happened, Jessie stole the capture of a Yanma off some kid (one of the few times for them to have actually caught something), but they get it rejected by Giovanni because it's a Yanma.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Kazy posted:

I'm wanting to think I remember an episode where they stole togepi and brought it to him, and he was all like "What am I supposed to do with this thing?" and it just wandered off. I distinctly remember Jesse or James telling Giovanni he could use it as a paperweight.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Plasbad posted:

I'm wanting to think I remember an episode where they stole togepi and brought it to him, and he was all like "What am I supposed to do with this thing?" and it just wandered off. I distinctly remember Jesse or James telling Giovanni he could use it as a paperweight.

You know, I'm not sure that Jessie and James were ever actually hired by Team Rocket. I bet they just kinda showed up one day and told everyone they were part of this super-cool evil organization. They were never told how to actually do their jobs, so they go after pokemon that are somewhat rare, (pikachu is annoying as crap to find in Virmillion Forest, Togepi you only get as an egg in Crystal, you never catch one, etc.) without realizing that Team Rocket really only wants Pokemon they can either use as crazy super weapons or sell for a really quick profit.

Of course, any episodes involving their backstory will (probably) contradict my theory, but it's a fun headcanon to have.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I'm seeing one problem: most Team Rocket actually use Zubats and Koffings and similar. If they're going for weak pokemon that can be steamrolled by a single psychic-type, why refuse a Yanma?

The obvious explanation is that the Pokemon they use aren't the same as the Pokemon they steal, but still, it does mean your average Team Rocket member doesn't have much of an eye for Pokemon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aithon posted:

I'm seeing one problem: most Team Rocket actually use Zubats and Koffings and similar. If they're going for weak pokemon that can be steamrolled by a single psychic-type, why refuse a Yanma?

The obvious explanation is that the Pokemon they use aren't the same as the Pokemon they steal, but still, it does mean your average Team Rocket member doesn't have much of an eye for Pokemon.
Cheap poo poo they can throw out if it's at risk of becoming evidence and replace easily.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

You know, I'm not sure that Jessie and James were ever actually hired by Team Rocket. I bet they just kinda showed up one day and told everyone they were part of this super-cool evil organization. They were never told how to actually do their jobs, so they go after pokemon that are somewhat rare, (pikachu is annoying as crap to find in Virmillion Forest, Togepi you only get as an egg in Crystal, you never catch one, etc.) without realizing that Team Rocket really only wants Pokemon they can either use as crazy super weapons or sell for a really quick profit.

Of course, any episodes involving their backstory will (probably) contradict my theory, but it's a fun headcanon to have.

Yeah there's actually quite a lot of backstory shown for them. Also, they spent most of one series trying to scrape together cash to pay off their membership fees, and eventually managed it by selling buttons at whichever League it was that Ash and friends ended up at.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Zereth posted:

Cheap poo poo they can throw out if it's at risk of becoming evidence and replace easily.

All Rattatas look alike. It's the perfect crime: Flood a place with jewel-stealing Rattatas and hope for the best. They'll never be able to blame Team Rocket because how many Team Rocket members are Rattata shaped? Also, how are they going to pick out a Rattata-shaped Team Rocket Member in a Rattata lineup? Impossible.

In other news, James literally has a house-shaped transforming orbit-capable rocket. It was stolen by an evil Togepi because it was bored.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
James is also a better Pokemon master than Ash, to judge by the memes I've seen and a few entries on individual mons' Bulbapedia pages.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Listen, all I know about the anime right now is that Serena is Ash's Childhood friend and that means exactly what that means in Japan. Also he's maybe getting Wrestlebird. I stopped paying even tertiary attention to the show once the Sinnoh League realized it didn't have a legit way to have Ash lose, so it just threw a Darkrai and Latios at him. It was the anime equivalent of the Battle Tower just saying "gently caress you" and besides Digimon with the exception of 02 and Time Hunters was always the better show

so how about that Pokemon World Tournament? I think this was one of my favorite additions to the game, it honestly shocked me because I had seen the exact style of it proposed for an eventual buffer between the Elite 4 in the past. It was like "Wow yeah this would be a fun way to clean up the rival plot threads before going to face the Elite 4".

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Onmi posted:

Listen, all I know about the anime right now is that Serena is Ash's Childhood friend and that means exactly what that means in Japan. Also he's maybe getting Wrestlebird. I stopped paying even tertiary attention to the show once the Sinnoh League realized it didn't have a legit way to have Ash lose, so it just threw a Darkrai and Latios at him. It was the anime equivalent of the Battle Tower just saying "gently caress you" and besides Digimon with the exception of 02 and Time Hunters was always the better show

so how about that Pokemon World Tournament? I think this was one of my favorite additions to the game, it honestly shocked me because I had seen the exact style of it proposed for an eventual buffer between the Elite 4 in the past. It was like "Wow yeah this would be a fun way to clean up the rival plot threads before going to face the Elite 4".

This is true. I mean really, could they spit on old fans anymore than they have? I stopped watching after Johto Journeys. The Pokemon World Tournament is the best addition ever, and I hope for something like it in ORAS.
Also, what I don't understand, is Pikachu could take BOTH of those out. And yet he couldn't beat a level 5 Snivy?

Silegna fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 26, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Frankly, I like SUPER EFFECTIVE's take on Pikachu: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. That would probably be a Pikachu that Team Rocket would want...

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Kheldarn posted:

Frankly, I like SUPER EFFECTIVE's take on Pikachu: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. That would probably be a Pikachu that Team Rocket would want...

That is beautiful.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Silegna posted:

Also, what I don't understand, is Pikachu could take BOTH of those out. And yet he couldn't beat a level 5 Snivy?

Sceptile beat Darkrai while Pikachu only tied with Latios. And Zekrom had removed Pikachu's electric powers so it had difficulties fighting a Level 5 Snivy that also somehow knew Leaf Tornado.

But... yeah, overall the BW saga had some interesting ideas, but ultimately fell short. Ash's 9 Pokemon had very uneven screentime, the entire badge quest was rushed, the League was an absolute disaster, the Plasma plot was self contained and was fairly uninteresting and the Decolore Islands was meaningless pandering until XY started.

Thankfully, XY is much better, though everyone's teams has kinda staled a bit, but the animation is good, the cast melds well together and Ash is moderately competent again, hooray.

To somewhat tie back to the game, BW's anime hardly featured any B2W2 content, which is a shame, because there's so much stuff they could have put in, but I believe they were gearing it up for a Grey version and having two sequels kinda threw them off, so not much of it was featured.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Crosspeice posted:

Sceptile beat Darkrai while Pikachu only tied with Latios. And Zekrom had removed Pikachu's electric powers so it had difficulties fighting a Level 5 Snivy that also somehow knew Leaf Tornado.

But... yeah, overall the BW saga had some interesting ideas, but ultimately fell short. Ash's 9 Pokemon had very uneven screentime, the entire badge quest was rushed, the League was an absolute disaster, the Plasma plot was self contained and was fairly uninteresting and the Decolore Islands was meaningless pandering until XY started.

Thankfully, XY is much better, though everyone's teams has kinda staled a bit, but the animation is good, the cast melds well together and Ash is moderately competent again, hooray.

To somewhat tie back to the game, BW's anime hardly featured any B2W2 content, which is a shame, because there's so much stuff they could have put in, but I believe they were gearing it up for a Grey version and having two sequels kinda threw them off, so not much of it was featured.

...You know, they could just NOT delevel pikachu every season. I mean he already gives up his pokemon every season, and NEVER really uses them again. Plus, there was that whole stupid part in BW, where Iris though Charizard was a dragon type....and what? Snivy doesn't learn Leaf Tornado until 16!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

From what I remember, BW would have been much more interesting if the episode that introduced Team Plasma wasn't cut due to all the disaster that hit Japan at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Possible, but unlikely. We already know the conclusion due to the trailers, Pikachu uses Electro Ball on the Meteonite, causing it to explode, so neither Rocket or Plasma have anything to fight over. I'm more upset we missed another appearance by Krokorok.

And even before the earthquake point, the episodes up to Nimbasa were already finalized storyboard wise, so Plasma wouldn't have appeared again until at least Driftveil. And the evil teams only appear every so often in each saga, they don't exactly follow the plot of the games.

I don't know if the anime actually following the plot of B2W2 would be better or worse then what we got...

• Locked thread