Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

lizardman posted:

A little while back in the thread there was mention of The Hitcher and it inspired me to add it to the Netflix (mail!) queue. Finally came in the other day and I watched it last night. I had only ever seen the beginning before once when I was young on TNT or one of those cable channels, and I remember it being very tense, scary and disturbing, and when I started watching it definitely held up...

The Hitcher is a movie I've changed my opinion on a lot in my life. When I first saw it on cable when I was about 15, it was my new favorite movie. I was fascinated with the idea that Hauer's character was, in a way, reproducing by his actions against Howell's character.

I watched it in my early 20s and I thought it was a cheesy piece of crap, and was embarrassed that I liked it so much.

Then I saw it again in my 30s and thought it was great, though in a different way from when I was 15. I recognized how ludicrous and surreal the movie was, and the cheesiness didn't bother me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Slasherfan posted:

Didn't 4chan launch an attack on the director of this movie?

Something Awful did, to the point of Lowtax even advocating pirating the movie.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I don't know how so many people dislike Insidious 2. What was the problem with it? It was campy and fun and creepy. It's almost like people expect horror sequels to suck and go in with that expectation and don't even give it a chance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Captain Mog posted:

I don't know how so many people dislike Insidious 2. What was the problem with it? It was campy and fun and creepy. It's almost like people expect horror sequels to suck and go in with that expectation and don't even give it a chance.

It's horror comedy where the fun isn't jokes patting you on the back for watching horror movies. Goofy in a creepy way.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
See: Grave Encounters 2, another sequel that is not as scary as the original but way funnier.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

See: Grave Encounters 2, another sequel that is not as scary as the original but way funnier.

It would make my day if you loved GE2.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Grave Encounters 2 is really good as far as found footage goes, so many are unwatchable that the scale is skewed.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would make my day if you loved GE2.

Of course I do, man. You can take any scene with deranged hobo Sean and that alone is worth the price of admission.

Edit: I've just realized that whenever I try to remember any scene from Grave Encounters 2 with the main character, I mentally replace him with Dane DeHaan.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 24, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I liked GE2 more than GE but a three isn't a lot more than a one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Rainman was a fuckin' genius!"

Jonny Angel posted:

Of course I do, man. You can take any scene with deranged hobo Sean and that alone is worth the price of admission.

Edit: I've just realized that whenever I try to remember any scene from Grave Encounters 2 with the main character, I mentally replace him with Dane DeHaan.

I also love Dane DeHaan.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
I watched Afflicted yesterday and I really liked it. Did not expect at all a vampire film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Grave Encounters 2 is a movie that has a shot that pulls away from a handheld camera to reveal a hobo looking at the footage on an iPad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

I actually thought the movie was pretty entertaining but would consider it more of a paranormal action/thriller/comedy more than a horror specificially. Though I thought the ending was pretty stupid, it was a pretty lame go at setting it up for a sequel.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Do you think Alien and Aliens are basically the same movie?

What? The aesthetic, location, scope and style of Alien and Aliens are very different (due to being made by different people!) in ways that REC 1 and 2 are clearly not. This is clearly a silly comparison.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MantisToboggan posted:

I watched Afflicted yesterday and I really liked it. Did not expect at all a vampire film.

When that was revealed, my enthusiasm sank so loving hard.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
Haven't seen anything about it here, but apparently a sequel for Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is in the works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BakMuq5C99c

Really looking forward to this as the first one was great, just hope they can keep up the quality.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Just watched Dead Silence which I hadn't seen since it was first released. Still kinda creepy but it's very jump scare reliant. But I guess it has to be when the antagonists are a bunch of dolls.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kraxxukalf posted:

Haven't seen anything about it here, but apparently a sequel for Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is in the works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BakMuq5C99c

Really looking forward to this as the first one was great, just hope they can keep up the quality.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is really one of those hidden gems on Netflix that I would never had heard of otherwise. I avoided watching it because the title and cover art made it look like a terrible B movie but I think it was the chat in this horror thread that persuaded me, and now I sing its praises.

I dunno, maybe if I kept up with Ain't It Cool News types of sites I'd have more awareness of stuff like this when it came out in theaters, but it was a total pleasant surprise that I only knew of through SA forums, like Trick 'r' Treat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kraxxukalf posted:

HEY COLLEGE KIDS.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Somewhat similar to Tucker & Dale, 100 Bloody Acres is on Netflix and pretty good

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I've never actually seen any of the documentaries about horror films, and I need to change that.

I know Never Sleep Again was mentioned, which I plan to check out (I'd also like to check out the F13 documentary (Crystal Lake Memories?), but Netflix doesn't seem to have it). Was anything ever done for the Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchises?

I also keep seeing Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher film playing on cable (Encore Suspense), but it's always on a weeknight way past my bedtime. Is it worth checking out?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Crystal Lake Memories is seven and a half goddamn hours long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crystal Lake Memories is seven and a half goddamn hours long.

I watched it in one sitting taking two bathroom breaks and enough time to cook and eat a pizza. It was an odd day.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Crystal Lake Memories was pretty good despite being that long. I broke it up into two sittings and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Halloween had one that was okay, that happened at the 25 year mark I think? It was before Rob Zombie's came out. It was pretty short, similar to how His Name was Jason was.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

I expected it to suck because it was an Insidious sequel, and so I was not disappointed.

In all honesty I think the big reason I disliked the film was the bizarre, disjointed nature of the plot. I didn't really like the first film, but I didn't hate it either while Insidious 2 I actively disliked. I think I hit that point about 25 minutes or so in when the female ghost fucks with and bitch slaps the wife... just because so much of the plot made so very little sense that I found it really jarred at the stuff that I actually did like in the movie.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I watched this a month or so ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvCNae3Ip8

Probably one of the better horror movies in recent memory.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Just got through watching Oculus. I thought it was pretty good. Entertaining enough, though I didn't find it to be even remotely scary. Some of the mindfuck/"is this real?" scenes were really well done. Probably not something I'll ever sit through again, but definitely worth checking out.

Actually, I'm surprised I liked Oculus as much as I did, because earlier this week I watched Absentia (another Mike Flanagan film) and I absolutely hated it. I've read nothing but good things about it, but I don't think I've ever struggled so badly to make it to the end of a film.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

katium posted:

I've never actually seen any of the documentaries about horror films, and I need to change that.

I know Never Sleep Again was mentioned, which I plan to check out (I'd also like to check out the F13 documentary (Crystal Lake Memories?), but Netflix doesn't seem to have it). Was anything ever done for the Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchises?

The American Nightmare is my personal favorite horror doc of all time. It covers a few essential horror films of the 60s-70s and discusses them on a surface and metaphorical level. Really great stuff, the TCM and Savini sections being my favorites. Oh also the Shivers section. Its available on youtube. I used to float around the IFC channel constantly during Halloween to see when it and The Last Broadcast would be aired

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Just marathoned the three [REC] films. 1 and 2 were great, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Plenty of creepy moments and some nutty kids which is always a treat.

Then I watched number 3 and where the gently caress did that come from? It's like they had a film already in the can and then at the end decided to shoot an extra 3 minutes of footage to make it a part of the series. Very disappointing, although amusing enough if it was its own film.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Vastarien posted:

Actually, I'm surprised I liked Oculus as much as I did, because earlier this week I watched Absentia (another Mike Flanagan film) and I absolutely hated it. I've read nothing but good things about it, but I don't think I've ever struggled so badly to make it to the end of a film.

Why didn't you like it? I thought it was amazing.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I just put it back on my netflix queue to revisit, but after my first watch of Absentia I hated it too. I didn't know what to expect going in and I was definitely not looking for a painfully slow character study about a widow dealing with grief and learning to move on.

Like I said I'm gonna give it another go in the proper frame of mind, but I can understand why some people might not enjoy it as much as others.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Sony is either doing something right or wrong. I probably check this thread at least a couple of times a day, but I was just perusing the PSN's list of movies under the Horror genre. Tons of stuff I've never heard of before; a lot of the covers/descriptions are making me want to fork over the money for 1-night rentals.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MrGreenShirt posted:

I just put it back on my netflix queue to revisit, but after my first watch of Absentia I hated it too. I didn't know what to expect going in and I was definitely not looking for a painfully slow character study about a widow dealing with grief and learning to move on.

Like I said I'm gonna give it another go in the proper frame of mind, but I can understand why some people might not enjoy it as much as others.

I liked that part of Absentia, it goes off the rails and seems like a completely different movie in the second half.

Honestly I think there could have been a really cool movie about her being "haunted" by either the ghost of or memory of her husband - left ambiguous. None of the giant silverfish bullshit.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

acephalousuniverse posted:

Why didn't you like it? I thought it was amazing.

Probably my biggest complaint would be that it is incredibly slow and far too long. I feel that they could have shaved at least 30 minutes off the running time and it would have been a much better movie for it. I do think the general premise is interesting, and there's a lot of interesting ideas there, but it's just not enough to really hold my attention for so long. Honestly, I think some further editing would have done wonders for this movie.

Most of my other complaints are just nitpicks related to things that are obviously a result of budgetary constraints. I realize that it's a Kickstarter-funded, low-budget film, so I can't really rag on it too much. But there were some things that just kept yanking me out of the movie. The unintentional shaky camera, for example. Even during exterior establishing shots, the camera jerks all over the drat place. It's amateurish and could have been fixed with a $20 tripod. Also, some of the acting is really iffy, particularly with the Will Sasso-looking detective. And there's that one piece of obnoxious music that constantly repeats throughout the movie... These little things, given the length of the film, become really grating after a while.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I guess I basically didn't notice any of that stuff. I thought it was a beautiful movie and wasn't bored at all. I guess it's another Toad Road situation where I didn't really care about the monster stuff, just wanted to follow around some people in their mundane unhappy lives for a while, with a horror ambiance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

priznat posted:

I liked that part of Absentia, it goes off the rails and seems like a completely different movie in the second half.

Honestly I think there could have been a really cool movie about her being "haunted" by either the ghost of or memory of her husband - left ambiguous. None of the giant silverfish bullshit.

See, I actually much prefer the monster movie half of Absentia. The idea of this kind of ant-lion like predator that feeds on emotionally vulnerable people is way more original and creepy than ghost story #1145.

The scale it operates at is neat too; Absentia isn't about an apocalyptic scenario, instead it implies that there are horrifying things that operate as a perfectly normal part of the world, and happy, well-adjusted people just don't notice because they aren't the target.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 26, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

acephalousuniverse posted:

I guess I basically didn't notice any of that stuff. I thought it was a beautiful movie and wasn't bored at all. I guess it's another Toad Road situation where I didn't really care about the monster stuff, just wanted to follow around some people in their mundane unhappy lives for a while, with a horror ambiance.

That's exactly why I didn't like it. Unlike Toad Road, which is just straight up real fuckups, I feel like everyone in Oculus is a poorly sketched cartoon.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

MantisToboggan posted:

When I first saw the trailer I thought the guy was turning into a superhero :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

That's exactly why I didn't like it. Unlike Toad Road, which is just straight up real fuckups, I feel like everyone in Oculus is a poorly sketched cartoon.

The brother rambling off, verbatim, all the poo poo the doctors told him in passing was all I needed to hear to know it wasn't going to get any better as a film.

Him and his sister were just too "perfectly" opposed with him as the characteristic skeptic and her as the determined believer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Contrast this with Toad Road where the guy really IS trying to get straight, but they make a point to cut to footage of him being high and daring people to punch him in the face.