Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
So yesterday I found out why Stormtalon's first boss seemed mega hard for me on the last phase... (Well, other than me being awful at vidya gaems.) my ping on Nexus was hovering around 260 ms, dipping no lower than 250 and getting as high as 270. That made getting out of the boss' biggest telegraph really difficult for me.

I tried Pergo out and I got a way more manageable 150-160 range. This basically means that I'll have to choose between the Exile and Dominion guilds based solely on latency.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Sophism posted:

So yesterday I found out why Stormtalon's first boss seemed mega hard for me on the last phase... (Well, other than me being awful at vidya gaems.) my ping on Nexus was hovering around 260 ms, dipping no lower than 250 and getting as high as 270. That made getting out of the boss' biggest telegraph really difficult for me.

I tried Pergo out and I I got a way more manageable 150-160 range. This basically means that I'll have to choose between the Exile and Dominion guilds based solely on latency.

That makes 0 sense, they're both at the same data center.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Libertine posted:

I'm going to play a Stalker because the idea of DPSing as an assassin and also being able to tank group PVE content is extremely attractive to me. So far I like their solo play style the best, PVP was good but I've only gotten to like level 10 so I don't even know how it plays with a full skill outlay. I wanted to do more of a scrapping fighter in PVP than a burst assassin but I guess I will see how that idea plays out. I haven't gotten to tank anything and I have no idea how that works on the Stalker but I am curious to see as well. So a lot of mystery left for me but overall I definitely find the class appealing and I do not usually gravitate towards MMO rogue/assassins.

I'd probably play Stalker if the Chua could be one. :smith:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Brackhar posted:

I'd probably play Stalker if the Chua could be one. :smith:

I'm either going to roll an Aurin or a Cassian. I kind of prefer the Exiles but all my friends want to roll Dominion so it will probably be the latter. I agree that it makes no sense why rats can't be stalker, sneaky rat seems like a go-to. I also tend to like really small model sizes, so Chua would be cool, but it's not possible so...

Uncle Phil
Nov 1, 2010

Libertine posted:

I'm either going to roll an Aurin or a Cassian. I kind of prefer the Exiles but all my friends want to roll Dominion so it will probably be the latter. I agree that it makes no sense why rats can't be stalker, sneaky rat seems like a go-to. I also tend to like really small model sizes, so Chua would be cool, but it's not possible so...

They will be, possibly at launch, but it's been stated multiple times by carbine that they don't want race/class restrictions, that it's all a matter of finishing all the animations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Some AMPs are just weird in that they're clearly awful and yet they've somehow survived to launch.

A good example is Victory Spark for Medics. When you kill an enemy, you have a 60% to gain an Actuator. This is almost entirely useless in PvE since Actuators fill automatically when out of combat at an almost instant rate, and it's not going to be that great when soloing big packs of mobs because it has only a 60% chance to go off AND it has a 10 second cooldown on top of that. In instanced content it's even more useless since you're not going to be getting most of the killing blows. I just...don't understand the point of this AMP. Even as someone who still doesn't know the in and outs of the class it seems awful.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Doublestep posted:

That makes 0 sense, they're both at the same data center.

I even made a new character on Nexus to compare, to see if the high ping was only in Illium and instances, but I had 250+ even in the tutorial area.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My FPS has shot right up. :psyduck:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

poptart_fairy posted:

My FPS has shot right up. :psyduck:

They might have switched over from debug builds to release builds, which would help perf.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Brackhar posted:

They might have switched over from debug builds to release builds, which would help perf.

They've been doing incremental fixes as well that have helped my terrible FPS. There was also combat logging going on that you could see by looking at the amount of memory your combat log addon was using, that seems to have been turned off for the time being. They've come a long way since Winter Beta when the game was neigh unplayable on my machine to it merely being slightly lovely.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sophism posted:

I even made a new character on Nexus to compare, to see if the high ping was only in Illium and instances, but I had 250+ even in the tutorial area.

I haven't had any problems with FPS at the highest settings. That might be because I didn't buy cheap ATI garbage though.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Razor Hill Bloodfire Village skybox view

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
http://wildstargoons.com/forums/index.php?threads/to-wiki-or-not-to-wiki.82/

:siren:ANOTHER IMPORTANT POLL. GO AND TOUCH IT:siren:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

so happy I'm throwing my hat up

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
quick someone throw it back

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-14W5XTqL5U

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Cyster, if you're reading this, please add a street fighter adventure before launch.

*tosses hat*

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cyster posted:

...In essence: it would be neat, but priority-wise, it's way too far down the line and takes far too much time to do it in most cases.

I know why it doesn't happen, but it still doesn't mean I can't be disappointed until some company comes up with a way to do it faster. When EQ2 came out they had to make complete new armor for each race and it slowed down putting new things out there. Then they came up with a body system that allowed them to make one mesh/texture and it wrapped around the bodies differently.

I'm assuming one day a developing WILL prioritize NPC routines and there will be some base system that can be applied easier than scripting out a routine. I'm assuming that was the idea behind Bethesda's Radiant AI right? Isn't that why RAI was a big deal, because it wasn't fully scripted routines? Some developer will do it one day for an MMORPG. It would have been cool if it was you guys because the game is good, but that's one of those little things that really would have stood out to me.

I was tempted just to write gently caress YOU as in my original post but figured I'd get probated! :) Either way, congrats on the game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I missed the Steer discussion earlier, but the way I look at it is if I'm going to be holding the RMB down anyway for the majority of my playing time (basically any time I'm moving or in combat) then why NOT 'automate' the whole thing?

It's even more convenient in WildStar than some other MMOs since you basically never have to hard-target anything. And if you have to click on NPC dialogue stuff or a doodad for a quest I can just hold Alt for a temporary cursor. It's really just a convenience thing.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Here's a thing I did while spergin' over craft numbers to try and figure out patterns in rarity tiers.

20 Insight. Hot drat.

I think it's a little bit silly to be disappointed when to date one of the better games to have pulled off the whole "NPCs having their own schedule" thing was Majora's Mask, which even then was just so incredibly elaborately scripted that it caused memory issues and also the game only had four dungeons lol.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 25, 2014

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Which race has the most attractive females? The robots?

They put the rear end in chassis :gizz:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

lets burn posted:

Popular opinion is probably the Aurin. :unsmigghh:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lets burn posted:

Welcometoderadune.jpg

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I haven't had any problems with FPS at the highest settings. That might be because I didn't buy cheap ATI garbage though.

Why are you talking about FPS when the topic is about latency?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

For the telegraph attacks, does the attack hit as soon as you have the telegraph on something, or when the actual attack comes out? EX: I know the sword throwing move for esper has a bit of start up, does it hit as soon as you let go of the button for the telegraph, or when the actual projectiles connect?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Evil Canadian posted:

For the telegraph attacks, does the attack hit as soon as you have the telegraph on something, or when the actual attack comes out? EX: I know the sword throwing move for esper has a bit of start up, does it hit as soon as you let go of the button for the telegraph, or when the actual projectiles connect?

At the end, you will notice that the telegraph fills up, it is a hit if you are still touching the telegraph area when it fills.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This varies though, particularly with mobs. Sometimes, like with a spider tunneling under the ground, the telegraph follows you until it fills and then a second quick telegraph will begin for when it emerges. That second telegraph does the damage.

Also, if the telegraph is striped it typically means the spell is channeled and will constantly do damage.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

I started working on a spreadsheet to show values of Weaponsmith crafting based on if you use a Green power core or a Blue power core. This teaser has been the result of a good 4 hours of gathering data to figure out how it all works.

My question: To you guys who probably didn't even realise crafting existed let alone how it works, can you figure out what you're getting from crafting items with this current iteration? Is it visually pleasing? Am I a loving :spergin: that needs to die?

note: my numbers are slightly wrong due to rounding issues, please don't try and refute it, I'm aware :)

e2: I fixed my numbers and added a slight thing - weapon classes highlighted in red means that I doubt Jabbithole's information on their numbers, because of how they don't fit in succession numerically.

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 25, 2014

Famine
May 8, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Is there a way to still get a beta / ops week cd-key?

Famine fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 25, 2014

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Why are you putting a green attribute chip into a red circuit? It's more power efficient to match the colors.

Wait, poo poo that reminds me of something people need to know when crafting! No really you need to know this before you level up your crafting Talents.

One of the talents wants you to specialize in Capacitors, Resistors, or Inductors. Capacitors are RED, Resistors are BLUE, and Inductors are GREEN.

As I recollect, RED is generally Attack oriented:
Brutality, Finesse, and Moxie are the basic attribute chip. There's also Strikethrough and Critical Severity as advanced chips.
GREEN is generally Hybrid oriented:
Insight and Grit are the basic attribute chip. There's also Critical Strike and Focus Recovery as advanced chips (I don't remember a 5th).
BLUE is generally Defense oriented:
Tech is the only basic attribute chip. There are Health, Deflect, Armor, Deflect Critical, and Shield chips.

Note: Health chip is far superior to a Grit chip in terms of power cost per health, in case you're building that. It's like they planned to do something else with Grit and it didn't happen.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Popular opinion is probably the Aurin. :unsmigghh:
What? They have incredibly freaky proportions, mostly the creepy elongated arms/legs/fingers/hands/everything gently caress.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Evil_Greven posted:

Why are you putting a green attribute chip into a red circuit? It's more power efficient to match the colors.

Uh, because Grit is a great stat?

Duh.

Also, it wouldn't have affected my failure rate (I checked) when all I was doing was pumping Insight. It was just meant to be a demonstration of what you can do with Weaponsmith.

edit: oh I didn't see you talk about the health chips but I've totally never loving seen those chips so I presume they're in the Apprentice or up tier of crafting, which were disabled for the purpose of the recent Ops week. Yes, I am frustrated, because this means I have terribly incomplete data.

Famine
May 8, 2004
whops, doublepost

Is there a way to still get a beta / ops week cd-key? or can I login with any old NCsoft account?

*edit* what I mean is can I participate in ops week if I did not play beta / dont have a beta key? I was able to login to my ncsoft account on the wildstar page, and when I went to the wildstar forums it asked me for a forum nickname, but I can't create topics or reply to topics on their forums

Famine fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 25, 2014

Lbeuol
Aug 19, 2006

Washing my hands since 2002
So it kept flagging my normal gibberish names as inappropriate and offensive

Some reason this is fine though

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Famine posted:

whops, doublepost

Is there a way to still get a beta / ops week cd-key? or can I login with any old NCsoft account?

*edit* what I mean is can I participate in ops week if I did not play beta / dont have a beta key? I was able to login to my ncsoft account on the wildstar page, and when I went to the wildstar forums it asked me for a forum nickname, but I can't create topics or reply to topics on their forums

Nope! But all of us who pre-ordered get like two 7-day friend passes so you can try it out from the 31st or later.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Sophism posted:

Ugh, if raids/dungeons rely on pings below 200ms, looks like I won't be doing much of either from Australia!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Evil_Greven posted:

What? They have incredibly freaky proportions, mostly the creepy elongated arms/legs/fingers/hands/everything gently caress.
Yeah, and the sort of people who are attracted to bunny girls etc. often have a persecution complex and enjoy anything that gets them more negative attention (cf. Fran) no matter how dumb. Really their only saving grace is that Aurin are so noticeable that they got the game attention it otherwise wouldn't have had. If Aurin were allowed to be Engineers out of the box I think that combo would have become the next Night Elf Hunter.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
I didn't actually salvage anything in game during the beta except for the forced salvage quest at the beginning.

How exactly does it work, and on what items?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Servers down, nothing to talk about. Gah.

Kresher posted:

I didn't actually salvage anything in game during the beta except for the forced salvage quest at the beginning.

How exactly does it work, and on what items?

You salvage weapons and armor.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Phrasing posted:

Servers down, nothing to talk about. Gah.

You salvage weapons and armor.

Oh poo poo, does that mean I've been wasting the opportunity of getting crafting components out of my old poo poo by vendoring them away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
Is it possible to see how many boom boxes you'll be getting anywhere?

• Locked thread