Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windchilla
May 30, 2009

a cat on an apple posted:

NCSoft is a Publisher. They Publish games, meaning they handle a lot of stuff dealing with marketing, support, and etc..

They don't make the games themselves, but they are in a position to demand the game developers fulfill certain things, especially if player retention is an issue.

In this case Carbine is a subsidiary of NCSoft who acquired them early in the development of Wildstar. They have a publisher credit on the game since the Austin-based US subsidiary of the company doesn't develop in-house.

Windchilla fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

flipoff posted:

I'm pretty sure about half the goons wanted to play on a pve server, so keep that in mind.

Why don't we argue about pve vs pvp for 3 pages.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

flipoff posted:

I'm pretty sure about half the goons wanted to play on a pve server, so keep that in mind.

http://wildstargoons.com/index.php?threads/a-very-important-poll.32/

66% are going US PVP.

Some of the other 34% are probably Eurogoons voting no. And we're (almost) all going PVP too, just a European PVP server.

Garbo
May 30, 2011

Masonity posted:

66% are going US PVP.

Some of the other 34% are probably Eurogoons voting no. And we're (almost) all going PVP too, just a European PVP server.

A poll in the PvP section of an offsite forums asking if you're going to roll PvP or not is probably not the best indicator of where goons are actually going to roll. It's likely going to wind up being a 50/50 or 60/40ish split at the start and who knows 2 weeks or a month from now. Roll where you want to play and stop with the horribly dumb "No MY GROUP HAS TO HAVE THE MOST PEOPLE" from both sides.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Masonity posted:

66% are going US PVP.

Yup, the pve guild is gonna be tiny and will have to merge with a pubby guild or something if they want to do anything larger than 5-man content. Too bad. :sigh:

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
Can we please avoid the subject of polls, and PvP vs. PvE? For fucks sake..

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Garbo posted:

A poll in the PvP section of an offsite forums asking if you're going to roll PvP or not is probably not the best indicator of where goons are actually going to roll. It's likely going to wind up being a 50/50 or 60/40ish split at the start and who knows 2 weeks or a month from now. Roll where you want to play and stop with the horribly dumb "No MY GROUP HAS TO HAVE THE MOST PEOPLE" from both sides.

:siren:retard spotted:siren:

Those are the conglomerate general forums for the whole board you clownshoe. That forum has been linked here as well about 100 times. GOD SO DUMB

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Nobody is trying to debate pve vs pvp, just cut out the loving "oh forget those pve nubs nobody is going to play there, pvp is where the cool kids are at :c00l:" whenever anyone says they don't want to play on a pvp server.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Good job guys, we made it eight pages without this discussion occurring.

We're improving!

Garbo
May 30, 2011

wtfmoses posted:

:siren:retard spotted:siren:

Those are the conglomerate general forums for the whole board you clownshoe. That forum has been linked here as well about 100 times. GOD SO DUMB

It's still an offsite forum and my point of "don't be loving idiots yelling about how one side or the other is better" stands. We can all enjoy this game without yelling at each other constantly*.

*From the previous threads devolving into horribleness maybe we actually can't.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

a cat on an apple posted:

Good job guys, we made it eight pages without this discussion occurring.

We're improving!

Yep time to close the thread and open a new one again. I would like to suggest "Wildstar: Headstart? More like headFART" thank you for your consideration

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Garbo posted:

It's still an offsite forum and my point of "don't be loving idiots yelling about how one side or the other is better" stands. We can all enjoy this game without yelling at each other constantly*.

*From the previous threads devolving into horribleness maybe we actually can't.

Please stop

you're hurting me

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
My bet goes for page 10 before this thread gets gassed.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
Hey guys, isn't Wildstar a great game to play? I played it for a bit. It's pretty great.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have a question about the paths. I played scientist and settler through the second zone. Do they quests/activities change at all after that? Just want to make sure that one or the other doesn't have a significant change later on.

Also, I can see how settler could be slightly useful at endgame by providing buffs, and always having a small reoccurring use. Does the scientist have any active use at the endgame for anything other than teleports?

FallenSystm
Feb 9, 2005

"Full of Fish?"
I am still having issues getting to the new website. Dumped cache.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Orvin posted:

I have a question about the paths. I played scientist and settler through the second zone. Do they quests/activities change at all after that? Just want to make sure that one or the other doesn't have a significant change later on.

Also, I can see how settler could be slightly useful at endgame by providing buffs, and always having a small reoccurring use. Does the scientist have any active use at the endgame for anything other than teleports?

Pretty sure in raid content, all path actual gameplay affecting stuff is disabled or useless?

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

The Wicked Wall posted:

Pretty sure in raid content, all path actual gameplay affecting stuff is disabled or useless?

All path abilities are blocked whenever you're in instanced play including: Raid, Dungeons, Battlegrounds, Arena and Warplots. I'd say Scientist has the most useful end-game abilities with being able to summon and teleport in the open world, especially on a PvP server.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Settlers can summon repair bots and soldiers can bail out of wipes. I think esper explorers could use air brakes, but every other class can stop fall damage some other way.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

flipoff posted:

Nobody is trying to debate pve vs pvp, just cut out the loving "oh forget those pve nubs nobody is going to play there, pvp is where the cool kids are at :c00l:" whenever anyone says they don't want to play on a pvp server.

I'm just warning people that if they play with the PvE guild they will probably not have enough people to do raid content. Hell, I'd rather play PvE because I don't want to be harassed by every idiot on the server while doing the inevitable daily quests, but I also want to raid and the PvE guild looks like it will just be way too small to support that. I'll just have to deal with the ganking and camping whether I like it or not. :sigh:

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

I think translocation beacon will end up being among the most useful path abilities. Think of the applications of a short range low cooldown teleport to return anywhere.

Boss at the end of a long cave and mobs will respawn? Place a beacon before you go in.

Tough jumping puzzle and not sure if you'll fall? Place a beacon.

Need an objective at the bottom of a cliff and don't want to find the path back up? Beacon.

Need to quickly hit the bank before returning to the crafting bench? Beacon.

Want to be able to return to a quest hub but keep your transmat somewhere else? Beacon.

I hear for short range the cooldown is really really short, and I'm thinking between this and the speed flags explorer is going to be a really useful path to have for everyday gameplay.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Does anyone else think the platforming in this game is janky as hell? I was planning on going explorer on my first character until I tried out the tutorial explorer missions and had to try each "puzzle" half a dozen times because of the impreciseness of the controls.
On a related note, is there any setting for changing keyboard turn speed? The default rate is horrendously slow and I prefer to not have to use mouse for turns other than reversing.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Eschatos posted:

I prefer to not have to use mouse for turns other than reversing.

You're really picking the wrong game for this

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Doublestep posted:

You're really picking the wrong game for this

Pretty much this. You'll find the controls are incredibly precise so long as you are using the mouse to turn. Otherwise all bets are off.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

In the nicest way I can put it in an MMO thread, I think that if you take some time to get used to it, you may find that using your mouse for turning around and keyboard for moving will give you much better control over your character.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Eschatos posted:

On a related note, is there any setting for changing keyboard turn speed?
/eval Apollo.SetConsoleVariable("player.turningSpeedKeyboard", 1)
That sets turning speed to default, try increasing the number at the end to 1.5 or 2 or whatever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The baker boy cap sells Settler for me.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
When's the last day you can pre-order to get the headstart bonus?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Interstellar Owl posted:

When's the last day you can pre-order to get the headstart bonus?

June 2nd, 11:59 PM PDT

June 3rd all preorder bonuses are gone forever~

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm just warning people that if they play with the PvE guild they will probably not have enough people to do raid content. Hell, I'd rather play PvE because I don't want to be harassed by every idiot on the server while doing the inevitable daily quests, but I also want to raid and the PvE guild looks like it will just be way too small to support that. I'll just have to deal with the ganking and camping whether I like it or not. :sigh:

Uh, even on the pvp side you're probably going to have issues as well (for 40 mans at least) since not everyone in the guild is going to want to dedicate the time to raiding?

Just suck it up and accept that either way you're probably going to have to find some non-lovely pubbies in order to do that kind of stuff. Goons are just pubbies that paid $10 to post on a forum anyway. There's no automatic guarantee of competence there.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Doublestep posted:

June 2nd, 11:59 PM PDT

June 3rd all preorder bonuses are gone forever~

Cool, so I can pre-order May 30th and still get in early access on May 31st?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Interstellar Owl posted:

Cool, so I can pre-order May 30th and still get in early access on May 31st?

Yes

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Does anyone else think the platforming in this game is janky as hell? I was planning on going explorer on my first character until I tried out the tutorial explorer missions and had to try each "puzzle" half a dozen times because of the impreciseness of the controls.
On a related note, is there any setting for changing keyboard turn speed? The default rate is horrendously slow and I prefer to not have to use mouse for turns other than reversing.

:lol::laffo::lol:

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

cathead posted:

Uh, even on the pvp side you're probably going to have issues as well (for 40 mans at least) since not everyone in the guild is going to want to dedicate the time to raiding?

Just suck it up and accept that either way you're probably going to have to find some non-lovely pubbies in order to do that kind of stuff. Goons are just pubbies that paid $10 to post on a forum anyway. There's no automatic guarantee of competence there.

To combat the potentially low body count of people in the goon guilds we set the sponsoree limit to 10 people per goon. If you have friends you want to play with then BRING THEM ALL.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

cathead posted:

Goons are just pubbies that paid $10 to post on a forum anyway. There's no automatic guarantee of competence there.

The guarantee of competence comes from the polls, you plebe.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Eschatos posted:

Keyboard turning you say...

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

wtfmoses posted:

Keyboard turning you say...

Is there a way to put the remaining people who keyboardturn into a wildlife preserve so humanity never forgets the fact that one day they did roam the earth before the vast majority of them stood in fire and took too long to get out of it?

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

How are we picking servers? Have they announced official servers yet?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Tenasscity posted:

How are we picking servers? Have they announced official servers yet?

We're picking servers by reading the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
If there's anything I've learned the past few weeks, it's that goons can't read.

• Locked thread