Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Vriess posted:

Tell them that Jackie O. sent nude pictures of herself to Andy Warhol.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^x2 :argh:

I know. That's one of the things that get's brought up. Also the fact that she was so fashion conscious. Back in those days being so "in" to the fashion scene wasn't seen as proper (this is just second and third hand knowledge via my parents and grandparents). I guess because a lady is either supposed to have her stuff tailored for her or make it herself. Or something. Either way my grandmother remembers hearing people bash her for the new famous pink Chanel suit she wore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
And, of course, when she wears a designer gown, that also gets them upset.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/02/14/michelle-obama-ticks-conservatives-formal-dress-formal-state-dinner/

Can't win, don't try.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

check the biggest logo smack dab in the middle front of his thingy. (coverall?)

I accidentally a word. I was phone posting and ment to type is he still sponsored by them. I also think it is funny that people who are sponsored like that give half a drat where the money comes from and that being a rolling billboard for the National Guard makes him a real patriot. I still don't understand the St. Ronald connection

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

I accidentally a word. I was phone posting and ment to type is he still sponsored by them. I also think it is funny that people who are sponsored like that give half a drat where the money comes from and that being a rolling billboard for the National Guard makes him a real patriot. I still don't understand the St. Ronald connection

I remember years ago seeing a commercial before a movie where they equated soldiers in the National Guard doing disaster relief directly with him driving a NASCAR race.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

muscles like this? posted:

I remember years ago seeing a commercial before a movie where they equated soldiers in the National Guard doing disaster relief directly with him driving a NASCAR race.

Ah, Kid Rock. You're always good for a laugh.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

Ah, Kid Rock. You're always good for a laugh.

When the kid runs out after his soccer ball I immediately expected an ambush or a bomb like an action movie would. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMyca5XC_Ao&t=130s

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Vriess posted:

Tell them that Jackie O. sent nude pictures of herself to Andy Warhol.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^x2 :argh:

And back then this wasn't like snapping a selfie with a device that every American has in their pocket. It involved a dark room, chemicals, and the US goddamned Postal Service. Being one of those ungodly liberal feminazi-but-simultaneously-slutty types took effort back then.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Someone posted this on my FB and I got to this line

quote:

8) Class Warfare – Split the people into the wealthy and the poor. This will cause more disgruntlement and it will be simpler to tax the wealthy with the support of the poor.

and it's like lmao you say this as if I'm supposed to consider this a bad thing.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Amused to Death posted:

Someone posted this on my FB and I got to this line

and it's like lmao you say this as if I'm supposed to consider this a bad thing.
Whenever someone says that kind of stuff about 'class war' it's always worth pointing out that they (the rich) loving started it. Self defense is a sacred American right.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Not a crazy political forward per se, but "I never looked it up in a legit source of information myself, so I could be wrong" just had to be shared.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Is it possible to take these image macros and hide a message that says:
" I HAVE THE CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS OF A TOSTADA" that can be seen when you put on your They Live sunglasses?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klara_Hitler

She was a devout Roman Catholic, I doubt she ever even considered aborting him.

Also, a comment I saw that I actually agree with - I don't think history would have changed significantly if Hitler had been aborted. This is not to excuse what he did in any way, but he couldn't do what he did without the support of a lot of people. We'd just be saying 'literally goebbels' instead of literally hitler.

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 27, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the name "hitler" is so powerless and hilarious now that when i read "klara hitler" i feel like i'm reading an ironic internet username

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I tutored this guy in US History and encouraged him to pursue his goal of getting an English PhD and teaching Western Literature. I think I failed.

former student posted:

A man in California kills 4 men and 2 women, as well as injuring many people of different genders. The man also had many misogynistic and sexist beliefs which he expressed on the internet before his spree. Now, clearly this individual is the archetype of the average American male (instead of, you know, a clear case of untreated mental illness), and the always-so-perceptive left has decided that enough is enough. Yes, it's time that all of you men out there felt guilty for being born with the parts you have between your legs. It's also time that we finally outlaw guns completely in this country, because anyone will tell you that outlawing something is the best way to keep it off the streets (cough--prohibition of alcohol--cough--marijuana). #NoShutUp

I'm sure more of these are coming out. Not even going to argue with him, because where do I even start. His past FB history and such doesn't show him to be terribly political, so it's not like he's gleaning this crap from talk radio AFAIK. We live in a depressed post-industrial city with few stable jobs in creative industries, so I'm sure it has something to do with him holding onto that masculine ideal and feeling emasculated by the fact that some women think themselves to be just as qualified now.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

muike posted:

the name "hitler" is so powerless and hilarious now that when i read "klara hitler" i feel like i'm reading an ironic internet username

Mel Brooks' dream has at long last been realized.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Magres posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klara_Hitler

She was a devout Roman Catholic, I doubt she ever even considered aborting him.

Also, a comment I saw that I actually agree with - I don't think history would have changed significantly if Hitler had been aborted. This is not to excuse what he did in any way, but he couldn't do what he did without the support of a lot of people. We'd just be saying 'literally goebbels' instead of literally hitler.

I've wondered about that for a while. There's no doubt the socio-economic forces in Germany would have led to a reactionary movement, but it's possible that without Hitler's charisma it never would have become dominant. We can never know for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

As for whether Hitler's mother ever considered abortion, I don't know, but I do remember something about Hitler supposedly having a twin brother and his mother having to choose one of them to be saved and one to die. I think it was on snopes, but I can't seem to find it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hitler is what happens when people seriously consider an "ideas guy". He was dogshit at everything outside of getting a populist movement going (sustaining the war? ehhhh, not so much).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't it Einstein's mother that was told to get an abortion because her last few pregnancies ended in miscarriage? I remember my mom telling me this (haha yes bad source), and I tried looking this up but couldn't come up with anything concrete. At least that's why every right winger loves Einstein since he'd be the role model for "look what happens when you don't abort your child!"

During my research I did find a facebook group called "Physics classes would be easier if Einstein was aborted" and I think the internet has broke me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Phone posted:

Hitler is what happens when people seriously consider an "ideas guy". He was dogshit at everything outside of getting a populist movement going (sustaining the war? ehhhh, not so much).

Well he DID have that "two front war" idea.. ohhhh yeah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I've wondered about that for a while. There's no doubt the socio-economic forces in Germany would have led to a reactionary movement, but it's possible that without Hitler's charisma it never would have become dominant. We can never know for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

As for whether Hitler's mother ever considered abortion, I don't know, but I do remember something about Hitler supposedly having a twin brother and his mother having to choose one of them to be saved and one to die. I think it was on snopes, but I can't seem to find it.

Didn't Hitler just co-opt an organization that already existed?

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

So did Reagan, and look where we are now

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My understanding is that the pre-Hitler Nazi party was sort of akin to a local tea party group. It was a bunch of dudes sitting around circlejerking about how much better the country would be with their crazy political opinions. Hitler came to one of the meetings and basically forced his way into leading it, but he did build it into like an actual political party that eventually won elections which is a lot more than it was at the time. I think that there's a lot of evidence that Hitler was a poor leader who totally mismanaged everything he did and refused to listen to his advisers on anything, but he was seemingly excellent at getting people to do what he wanted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The exact role and importance of Hitler before and during the Nazi regime is disputed by historians. It's also not clear that he was particularly incompetent as a leader until later in his life, when he started to show signs of drug addiction and more obvious forms of mental illness.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
He did managed to take the Nazi party from basically a group of dudes in a bar in Munich to, well, the Nazis. I mean it didn't take long from after he joined the party that his speech making in beer halls and elsewhere in the area was powerful enough and getting enough attention from listeners that the other party members went "yeah, yeah this dude is our leader now"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rosalind posted:

My understanding is that the pre-Hitler Nazi party was sort of akin to a local tea party group. It was a bunch of dudes sitting around circlejerking about how much better the country would be with their crazy political opinions. Hitler came to one of the meetings and basically forced his way into leading it, but he did build it into like an actual political party that eventually won elections which is a lot more than it was at the time. I think that there's a lot of evidence that Hitler was a poor leader who totally mismanaged everything he did and refused to listen to his advisers on anything, but he was seemingly excellent at getting people to do what he wanted.

It's better than that - the military told him to infiltrate the group and spy on it, but he ended up going native.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phone posted:

He was Grant-esque in managing his corrupt bosom buddies.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zwabu posted:

Well he DID have that "two front war" idea.. ohhhh yeah.

Wasn't that actually already the German "go to" plan for dealing with France and Russia. I'm listening to Hardcore History now and WW1 Germany basically (tried) to use Blitzkrieg to take out France before Russia could reach Germany. The hosed up though because no on knew what the gently caress to do when everyone has machine guns.

Unless you're being sarcastic in which case sorry. It's like 6 and I haven't finished coffee #1.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Not that I'd really be first in line to help the Nazis out but, "just stay in Europe dudes," would have been really great advice I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crain posted:

Wasn't that actually already the German "go to" plan for dealing with France and Russia. I'm listening to Hardcore History now and WW1 Germany basically (tried) to use Blitzkrieg to take out France before Russia could reach Germany. The hosed up though because no on knew what the gently caress to do when everyone has machine guns.

Unless you're being sarcastic in which case sorry. It's like 6 and I haven't finished coffee #1.

For WWI, yes. France and Russia were in a defensive alliance and the Germans did not have any military plans to prosecute a war against only just one or the other (assuming they had the diplomatic chops to create a situation where it's only a one-front war anyway) so yes.

The WWII lovely idea was that Communist Russia was already pretty well hated by the West, which meant that Germany really only had to fight on a two-front war if they wanted to. And yes, Hitler's racial politics meant that he was going to want to destroy the Slavs in the East sooner or later (as it turned out, sooner) but it's still a hell of a blown opportunity on the surface.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Crain posted:

It's is actually a little sillier. THe Schlieffen Plan was basically" Invade and take France before Russia mobilizes". Basically it banked on the fact that Russian logistics were garbage and they would take awhile to mobilize. Which was true at the time, however Russia had already been mobilized when Germany attacked France. :downs:

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

seiferguy posted:

Wasn't it Einstein's mother that was told to get an abortion because her last few pregnancies ended in miscarriage?

I thought that was Tim Tebow?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

LunarShadow posted:

It's is actually a little sillier. THe Schlieffen Plan was basically" Invade and take France before Russia mobilizes". Basically it banked on the fact that Russian logistics were garbage and they would take awhile to mobilize. Which was true at the time, however Russia had already been mobilized when Germany attacked France. :downs:

That is a very dumb simplified way to explain it. Mobilizations take weeks, even for well-developed states. Russia had declared mobilization when germany attacked France, but they hadn't shipped all the reservists to their units and the units to the front, due to the distances involved. The Russians then decided to attack before their mobilization was finished in order to relieve the pressure on the French, with disastrous results for them.

The big error in the German war plan was that it a) violated Belgium neutrality, therefore handing the British a Casus Belli gift wrapped with a cherry on top and b) forced a two-front war when a one-front war could still have been achieved, because Germany had no mobilization plan to go to war with Russia only.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

LunarShadow posted:

IIRC, the plan was also outdated by something like 25 years and assumed that Russia's infrastructure was still pre 1900's lovely when in reality the Tsar had actually decided to slice off a bit of his vodka budget to lay down a few rail roads and placate some of the peasants he pissed off in 1905.

And Hitler was really good at taking credit for other people's accomplishments.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

archangelwar posted:

I thought that was Tim Tebow?

Could be both!

Anyway here's some insane anti-vaccine stuff a coworker posted:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Is there anything in the idea that if Nazi Germany had held off on Operation Barbarossa, the Red Army would have modernised in peacetime and eventually Stalin would have declared war and rolled over the numerically inferior Wehrmacht? I always got the impression that the invasion of Russia went about as well for the Nazis as anyone could hope a war between Germany and the USSR would go, but that it just was literally impossible for Germany to come out on top because of the logistics involved.

e: Oops this isn't the milhist thread, sorry for continuing a derail.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

I don't trust Obama's birth certificate, that's too easily forged. Chinese records from the 1670s? No way those could have been falsified!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

I don't trust Obama's birth certificate, that's too easily forged. Chinese records from the 1670s? No way those could have been falsified!

Hey man somebody put text on an image on the internet that confirms one of my opinions as totally valid. If you can't trust the internet who can you trust? I mean, people might lie about where they were born but nobody ever lies about how old they are.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

The only myth that image shatters is the one about Prometheus bringing us enlightenment. There are apparently a few who missed out.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

Even if by some freak occurence someone had lived to be that old (they didn't, but let's just say they did) what would that prove exactly? It's one person, which does nothing to refute the statistics of life expectancy today compared to what it was pre-vaccines.

It's like pointing to one guy who survived a gunshot wound once and saying that proves bullets can't kill people. So lazy even by anti-vax email forward standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

letthereberock posted:

Even if by some freak occurence someone had lived to be that old (they didn't, but let's just say they did) what would that prove exactly? It's one person, which does nothing to refute the statistics of life expectancy today compared to what it was pre-vaccines.

It's like pointing to one guy who survived a gunshot wound once and saying that proves bullets can't kill people. So lazy even by anti-vax email forward standards.

Anto-vax people generally completely fail to understand things such as statistics and logic, often deliberately. These are not rational people.