Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Tosh isn't bothering to hide that he's representing a bunch of lunatics and is probably a lunatic himself but he is on our side for now and the near future. He literally does not care, nor does he expect us to care, about his massive potential liability. It is the best. The very first time Nova leaked us information on him, Horner confronts him all, "Are you a dangerous rogue supersoldier?" and Tosh is just "Sure am! Watch me play with my knife!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
No opinion on unit upgrades, but get the Hercules and help Nova (because I haven't seen that side yet).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So did Horner win or lose that card game?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edited for spoilers.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 17, 2014

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Dude! This will all be conveyed to the audience by the game itself in a much more entertaining manner! Patience.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Help Tosh

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
While I'm also voting to help Tosh, it's mostly because I didn't do that in my own playthrough. I'm not quite sure where the notion that he's our Bro comes from, though. I mean, he contacted us to perform some shady missions for him, didn't tell us what he needed the stuff for and now hangs around on our ship, occasionally telling us that he can "smell Protoss on us". Yeah, not creepy at all.
And Nova not lying about working for Mengsk makes the rest of what she says more credible, if anything.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Upgrades
=========
Advanced Medic Facilities
Titanium Housing

Research
=========
Hercules

The Moebius Factor

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

The Lone Badger posted:

He won the game, but the prize won him.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
Voting for Breakout and help Tosh, the Hercules, and Shaped Blast for the siege tanks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

The answer to that question is exactly why I voted for Cutthroat as the next mission.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Voting Closed!

Looks like next time we're going to be helping Tosh with a Breakout, after picking up the Hercules and Maelstrom Rounds.

After a short detour into a prophecy that could decide the fate of the universe of course.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Raldan posted:

After a short detour into a prophecy that could decide the fate of the universe of course.

Of course. Also for that hot Protoss research.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You all made the wrong decision.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Synastren posted:

I think we're probably going to do all of the missions (including where there are decision points), but those alternative choices will be bonus videos.

There is a fantastic cutscene if you help Nova. Honestly, though, I have no idea how good Spectres are, as I have only beaten this game once, and I was pretty bad when I did that. :v:

SirSamVimes posted:

You all made the wrong decision.

But maybe not? :confused:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The better option is the unofficial bonus option. I stand by what I said.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Want to watch Syn play some bugz?

http://www.twitch.tv/synastren

Go there and rip some zeez

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Star Man posted:

Want to watch Syn play some bugz?

http://www.twitch.tv/synastren

Go there and rip some zeez

I don't usually post in here or in the rip zeez thread, but I'll be streaming sporadically throughout the summer.

You can watch The Rip Zeez list to see when any of us are streaming; feel free to tune in and ask questions!

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

Source Video (No Commentary)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hey, you forgot the research!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I can't make fun of him, because I have a Fire Prism I haven't made fun of.

Also I recall the DTs in Original/Brood War had Dark sabres. So maybe Blizz'll be super lazy and have 3 different DT models.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Veloxyll posted:

Also I recall the DTs in Original/Brood War had Dark sabres. So maybe Blizz'll be super lazy and have 3 different DT models.

No, they're just called called warp blades while the zealot's weapon is the psi blade. I don't think they're references to anything in particular aside from being like energy blade weapons from Star Wars and Gundam.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I more meant that they're an actual sword, not a wristbladey thing. I just forgot they had an actual name because it's been ages since I've played Starcraft.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think that was the mission that made me hate the memory missions, the big bad endlessly taunting you and throwing himself at your base is really annoying. His design is kinda cool though

I never knew about the dragoons -> immortals thing, is there an in universe explanation for reavers disappearing or are they just gone for reasons?

Veloxyll posted:

I more meant that they're an actual sword, not a wristbladey thing. I just forgot they had an actual name because it's been ages since I've played Starcraft.

The StarCraft wiki says it's a modified psi blade, and that they're all like Zeratul's wrist blade, but I do remember it being cooler than that in my head

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Door Frame posted:

I think that was the mission that made me hate the memory missions, the big bad endlessly taunting you and throwing himself at your base is really annoying. His design is kinda cool though

I never knew about the dragoons -> immortals thing, is there an in universe explanation for reavers disappearing or are they just gone for reasons?

The StarCraft wiki says it's a modified psi blade, and that they're all like Zeratul's wrist blade, but I do remember it being cooler than that in my head

Really? I swear they made choppy sword motions with it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Door Frame posted:

Probably because you remember it being this:

And not this:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I remember that Broodwar mission now, it had the snow terrain didn't it and you never actually see what is in that tube it just had a normal human sized silhouette. I wonder why they did retcon that mission?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Spudd posted:

I remember that Broodwar mission now, it had the snow terrain didn't it and you never actually see what is in that tube it just had a normal human sized silhouette. I wonder why they did retcon that mission?

What retcon?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

What retcon?
In the video, you guys allude to that bonus Brood War mission having been retconned due to Zeratul's reaction to seeing a Hybrid.

Unless that was a slip of the tongue by you guys and it's still canon.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I think the bonus Brood War mission is supposed to be canon, so I don't really know how that matches with Zeratul's behavior in this mission. Maybe he's just a little forgetful in his old age? :shrug:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Raldan posted:

I think the bonus Brood War mission is supposed to be canon, so I don't really know how that matches with Zeratul's behavior in this mission. Maybe he's just a little forgetful in his old age? :shrug:
You know, I thought about it for a little. Maybe Zeratul's reaction is less "What the hell is that thing?" and more "How did you even get on this world?"

This mission is supposed to take place on (from how the game presents it) a very remote and isolated Protoss world. I'd assume only certain select Protoss (such as Zeratul himself) would even know the planet exists. The fact that a Hybrid managed to find its way onto the planet is enough to raise alarms, and remind Zeratul (and by extension, those who played Brood War) of Duran's little cryptic message at the end of the aforementioned Brood War mission (spoilers for that mission) "I've seeded the hundreds. You'll never find them all before they wake up." Tastiacore's(sp?) line delivery is what throws it off, I think. He stumbles on the whole "shock at seeing something from nearly 5 years ago" delivery, making Zeratul sound like he's never seen a Hybrid before.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm pretty sure one of the epilogs of Broodwar mentions Zeratul going around searching for and destroying hybrid facilities. Then again, in Broodwar Fenix was Jimmy's best buddy and he wanted revenge, instead of hot zerg-rear end, so.... :shrug:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, he seems fairly aware of exactly what it is, since they don't look very much like Zerg he's basically saying "what the hell are these things doing here?"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GodFish posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the epilogs of Broodwar mentions Zeratul going around searching for and destroying hybrid facilities. Then again, in Broodwar Fenix was Jimmy's best buddy and he wanted revenge, instead of hot zerg-rear end, so.... :shrug:

It's like, sometimes people say things in one moment and after four years they change their minds about things or something comes up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The information that planet holds are banned from Protoss eyes. Advanced societies tend to not resort to such storage. Are the Protoss technologically advanced and religious like those Warhammer 40K guys?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

The information that planet holds are banned from Protoss eyes. Advanced societies tend to not resort to such storage. Are the Protoss technologically advanced and religious like those Warhammer 40K guys?

Kinda. Tassadar got Excommunicated and branded a heretic for a) not just burning Terran worlds (which lead to Tarsonis), and b) consorting with Dark Templar. Aldaris's words pretty much said "Consort with those guys, you're a Heretic. Now get out!"

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Veloxyll posted:

Kinda. Tassadar got Excommunicated and branded a heretic for a) not just burning Terran worlds (which lead to Tarsonis), and b) consorting with Dark Templar. Aldaris's words pretty much said "Consort with those guys, you're a Heretic. Now get out!"

It's not exactly a religion. Isn't the high templar society based on the shared psionic link the Protoss have? And the Dark Templar cut their brain antenna off or something and cut themselves off from that, and that's why they were banished.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Blizzard has also noted that the Protoss just don't think like humans do, and they aren't really rational in any human sense. It's their answer for why the Protoss only now reactivated the Colossi and decided their brief appearance in Heart of the Swarm's story was somehow a logical and sensible goal.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Cythereal posted:

Blizzard has also noted that the Protoss just don't think like humans do, and they aren't really rational in any human sense. It's their answer for why the Protoss only now reactivated the Colossi and decided their brief appearance in Heart of the Swarm's story was somehow a logical and sensible goal.

We should call this the "Fuckin' Protoss, how do they work?" defense, which I think is ironclad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In any good piece of science fiction, the protoss would be weird and have their own ideas of logic and common sense.

Part of StarCraft's problem is that it's a video game. Explaining away things like why the protoss only now recalled motherships and colossi is only there to provide background for a new gameplay element.

• Locked thread