Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Haha yeah OP these SJWs are gettin outta control in this completely free and optional to read content that only happens once a week. I mean it's supposed to be a comedy website right? SA has always only ever had features that every single person ever loved, and had no detractors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Current Releases is okay -- not bad, not great, but good enough that I glance over each set of new reviews when it gets posted. OP is right that the reviews can get a bit preachy, but the reviews aren't one shrill scream of :siren: WHITE PEOPLE :siren: either. Not the shittiest thing on SomethingAwful.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
That's an awfully strange way to spell 'Awful Things For Sale' there bud cause I know I love recycled, formulaic content.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Nucular Carmul posted:

Haha yeah OP these SJWs are gettin outta control in this completely free and optional to read content that only happens once a week. I mean it's supposed to be a comedy website right? SA has always only ever had features that every single person ever loved, and had no detractors!

I don't understand what your point is here. Yes, Something Awful is a comedy website. Regardless of whether every feature is good or not, there is no room on a site that was established for humorous purposes to publish this and expect people to laugh at anything but the stupidity of the author:

quote:

The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like. The idea of introducing gendered identities to normally non-gendered objects so often treats the familiar as inherently masculine. Female planes are painted hot pink and granted the enlarged, fluttery eyelashes so often used to distinguish women from men in lazily drawn cartoons. "Look at that propellor," declares Dusty and he gets a look at one of the ladyplanes' rear end. In one scene, the film even eroticises the tilting of wingflaps for a disturbingly long time. You could argue that it is a joke. I would argue that it enforces the idea of objectifying women to all the five-year-old boys in the audience by applying it to literal objects who have gender but no sex. Gotta start them off early, after all.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
The front page writers, including the Current Releases writers, are people who are writing for a general audience and have to meet some standards of quality.

Its kind of disappointing to me that there are people who can dismiss the good work they do on here while at the same time they think that posting "It means your a human being, OP" in GBS is the height of comedy.

Basically, don't insult the front page writers until you show you can do better.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

The front page writers, including the Current Releases writers, are people who are writing for a general audience and have to meet some standards of quality.

Its kind of disappointing to me that there are people who can dismiss the good work they do on here while at the same time they think that posting "It means your a human being, OP" in GBS is the height of comedy.

Basically, don't insult the front page writers until you show you can do better.

Challenge accepted.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

James Hardon posted:

I don't understand what your point is here. Yes, Something Awful is a comedy website. Regardless of whether every feature is good or not, there is no room on a site that was established for humorous purposes to publish this and expect people to laugh at anything but the stupidity of the author:

If you don't understand that Something Awful has been changing over the last five years then I don't know what to tell you. 4chan and reddit still exist if you want a safe space to not have to occasionally be reminded of social inequalities in between jokes. Besides, John Dyne is right, Awful Things For Sale is usually less funny than the fake scoring system or the excerpts of Montague Smythe and his mind sadventures, and it's a reposting of an existing blog to boot.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Wait those tumblr-esque front page articles aren't satire?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Nucular Carmul posted:

If you don't understand that Something Awful has been changing over the last five years then I don't know what to tell you. 4chan and reddit still exist if you want a safe space to not have to occasionally be reminded of social inequalities in between jokes. Besides, John Dyne is right, Awful Things For Sale is usually less funny than the fake scoring system or the excerpts of Montague Smythe and his mind sadventures, and it's a reposting of an existing blog to boot.

You can keep the change, bub

Wootiebabeh
Dec 21, 2009

I Have An Important Opinion About What Jokes Should Be Allowed On The Something Awful Forums, My Credentials Being A Sick Avatar Of The Get Out Meme Frog

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

Eh... ok.

Wootiebabeh
Dec 21, 2009

A Little Spin On The Cures Meme: Occasional Reminders Cure Social Inequalities

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

glowing-fish posted:

If you think Star Wars is bad why dont you make your own Star Wars thats good instead of saying that Star Wars is bad

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

Because I've never written "The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like" in all earnestness, everything I've ever written has been, by default, better than Current Releases, so let me say: the reviews are bad.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

glowing-fish posted:

That's a goofy-rear end reason to think you should give Current Releases a pass. Looks like the writers shouldn't ever critique a movie since hey have made a better one????

I still like Current Releases, and not because I think I couldn't write a better movie review. It's 'cuz most movie criticism is crap and this is notably less-crap, and Red Letter Media gives too much stuff a pass for my poor, poor, poverty dollars when it comes to advice on what to see in theatres.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
A man who is at least in his late 20s devoted a day of his life to watching a D grade Pixar movie about talking planes and was so disgusted by it that he wrote a long, joke free essay for a comedy site about how it is a defining example of our bigoted culture. A few months later in his contribution to the year in review feature he revisited the film with undiminished vitriol.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dr. Witherbone posted:

That's a goofy-rear end reason to think you should give Current Releases a pass. Looks like the writers shouldn't ever critique a movie since hey have made a better one????

I still like Current Releases, and not because I think I couldn't write a better movie review. It's 'cuz most movie criticism is crap and this is notably less-crap, and Red Letter Media gives too much stuff a pass for my poor, poor, poverty dollars when it comes to advice on what to see in theatres.

Which movies did you decide to see based on their Current Releases reviews, and which movies did you give a pass?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
You're very right that something awful has changed in the past five years, in that no one new wants to read the garbage posted on this site or register for forums that coddle and protect the most pathetic people you can imagine

My Nigga Totoro
Nov 14, 2007

by Lowtax

Rannos22 posted:

Wait those tumblr-esque front page articles aren't satire?

Absolutely not

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I can do better than the extremely bad reviews, and in fact I intend to. Jagshemesh to you and your family.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

people can insult whoever they please u lil bitch

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

scary ghost dog posted:

Which movies did you decide to see based on their Current Releases reviews, and which movies did you give a pass?

I watched Shutter Island because of them after previously dismissing it based off of trailers, as well as Dredd. I skipped the Star Trek sequel because of them, only to wind up going for it later anyways because of interests from friends. I was only lukewarm on the first one though, I didn't really need them to tell me the sequel was going to be crap.

Like I'm not going to get up on a soap box for Current Releases, I have my gripes. I just don't have anywhere to go to besides them ever since Roger Ebert died.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I too am a huge baby that need other people to form my opinions to me before I consume mass-produced media.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Like I'm not going to get up on a soap box for Current Releases, I have my gripes. I just don't have anywhere to go to besides them ever since Roger Ebert died.

holy poo poo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dr. Witherbone posted:

I watched Shutter Island because of them after previously dismissing it based off of trailers, as well as Dredd. I skipped the Star Trek sequel because of them, only to wind up going for it later anyways because of interests from friends. I was only lukewarm on the first one though, I didn't really need them to tell me the sequel was going to be crap.

Ok: So, you are a moron. thank you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dr. Witherbone posted:

This is like a window into another world where people keep up with the somethingawful frontpage and form their worldview based on what it says. Uncharted territory this is. Do you also check the front page for stock tips and home-buying advice?

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

scary ghost dog posted:

Ok: So, you are a moron. thank you

Judge Dredd and Shutter Island were good :shrug:

It is pretty loving bizarre to wind up coming to Something Awful to read sometimes painfully sincere movie reviews, but here I am.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If you decide not to see movies based on the nebulous opinions of a very small sampling of people who have historically disliked excellent movies for being "problematic" or "fundamentally misogynist," well, at least you're saving money.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

If you decide not to see movies based on the nebulous opinions of a very small sampling of people who have historically disliked excellent movies for being "problematic" or "fundamentally misogynist," well, at least you're saving money.

Planes is excellent?

also i probably would never have watched The Grey if it weren't for CR and CD so good on 'em for that.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

scary ghost dog posted:

What excellent movies have they shat on because of sjw complaints?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Glancing at the OP of this thread, Godzilla and the new X-Men

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
The man at the top of the "Top Critics" list on rotten tomatoes is dead, and from what I've seen so far, critics 2-35 aren't going to be replacing him any time soon.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Let's not stray from the issue here, which is that the guy who wrote the Planes review and also his fellow writers who presumably agreed with his argument were paid to write for this site which originally gained notoriety with articles making fun of pictures of ugly people.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

halleys comet posted:

The man at the top of the "Top Critics" list on rotten tomatoes is dead, and from what I've seen so far, critics 2-35 aren't going to be replacing him any time soon.

lol I don't invest much time in movie criticism, you got me. I only ever knew about Roger Ebert because he talked poo poo about video games once, leading me to discover his blog and that he was a pretty great writer. I don't know any other movie critics really, so it's Red Letter Media and Current Releases for me right now.

scary ghost dog posted:

Glancing at the OP of this thread, Godzilla and the new X-Men

I know you're loving around, but they gave a mild recommendation to X-Men, though I haven't seen it.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Dr. Witherbone posted:

lol I don't invest much time in movie criticism, you got me. I only ever knew about Roger Ebert because he talked poo poo about video games once,

I'm shocked.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

James Hardon posted:

Let's not stray from the issue here, which is that the guy who wrote the Planes review and also his fellow writers who presumably agreed with his argument were paid to write for this site which originally gained notoriety with articles making fun of pictures of ugly people.

poo poo, it's not like there were a lot of other elements of Planes that someone could expound on at length in an interesting manner

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

James Hardon posted:

Or maybe you just have a bad sense of humour?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

effectual posted:

That paragraph wasn't supposed to be funny. It was supposed to be serious. This is bad, if you want funny reviews, even without anything about politics and progressivism and whatever. Possibly you have the condition you're accusing people of, but in that context, there isn't supposed to be anything funny about it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

effectual posted:

That's a good point; let's keep current releases around because it's so funny despite itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

quote:

The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like.

IMO if you're going to bat for this because you agree with the guy's politics, you hosed up

• Locked thread