Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Star Man posted:

In any good piece of science fiction, the protoss would be weird and have their own ideas of logic and common sense.

Part of StarCraft's problem is that it's a video game. Explaining away things like why the protoss only now recalled motherships and colossi is only there to provide background for a new gameplay element.

The 'incomprehensible to human understanding' defence also falls apart when we see the Protoss exhibit highly human traits like pride, anger and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The 'incomprehensible to human understanding' defence also falls apart when we see the Protoss exhibit highly human traits like pride, anger and so on.

Perhaps. Until we can read the literary fiction written by extra terrestrials, our little monkey brains are limited to human experiences and assumptions. I'm also of the opinion that any sentient alien in the real world universe would not be so completely inhuman that it would not have some kind of range of emotions that would parallel a human's. Even dogs and other animals exhibit some kind of emotion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Blizzard has also noted that the Protoss just don't think like humans do, and they aren't really rational in any human sense. It's their answer for why the Protoss only now reactivated the Colossi and decided their brief appearance in Heart of the Swarm's story was somehow a logical and sensible goal.
That'd explain why a good part of Episode III's campaign is Artanis/player character, Jim and later on Fenix, Zeratul and Tassadar running from Aldaris and the other Protoss because Aldaris is more dead-set on executing Tassadar and Zeratul for heresy instead of dealing with the Zerg invasion of Auir.

Seriously, that was one of the biggest things that upset me about Aldaris' (and by extension, the Protoss High Council) thought process. You have an alien race that is steamrolling your forces, yet someone you consider a radical is a greater threat to your people than the invading aliens. I actually smiled when Kerrigan kills him in Episode IV, because that dumbass, instead of telling people he had suspicions about working with Kerrigan, mounts a rebellion to wipe out everyone. Yes, he tries to tell the player, but only during one conversation. After that? He completely cuts off contact with you and then, the second to last mission of the campaign is stomping out an internal rebellion led by Aldaris. All of which could have been avoided if Aldaris used his brain and presented his case to the player forces in a decent manner.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Star Man posted:

Perhaps. Until we can read the literary fiction written by extra terrestrials, our little monkey brains are limited to human experiences and assumptions. I'm also of the opinion that any sentient alien in the real world universe would not be so completely inhuman that it would not have some kind of range of emotions that would parallel a human's. Even dogs and other animals exhibit some kind of emotion.

They might not be built out of proteins.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

wiegieman posted:

I'm aware of this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AradoBalanga posted:

That'd explain why a good part of Episode III's campaign is Artanis/player character, Jim and later on Fenix, Zeratul and Tassadar running from Aldaris and the other Protoss because Aldaris is more dead-set on executing Tassadar and Zeratul for heresy instead of dealing with the Zerg invasion of Auir.

Seriously, that was one of the biggest things that upset me about Aldaris' (and by extension, the Protoss High Council) thought process. You have an alien race that is steamrolling your forces, yet someone you consider a radical is a greater threat to your people than the invading aliens. I actually smiled when Kerrigan kills him in Episode IV, because that dumbass, instead of telling people he had suspicions about working with Kerrigan, mounts a rebellion to wipe out everyone. Yes, he tries to tell the player, but only during one conversation. After that? He completely cuts off contact with you and then, the second to last mission of the campaign is stomping out an internal rebellion led by Aldaris. All of which could have been avoided if Aldaris used his brain and presented his case to the player forces in a decent manner.
A simple idea and a well-known person have resulted in terrible consequences over time. Any enemy can be defeated, but radical ideas have rotted civilizations and/or deposed those in power.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Scalding Coffee posted:

A simple idea and a well-known person have resulted in terrible consequences over time. Any enemy can be defeated, but radical ideas have rotted civilizations and/or deposed those in power.

Especially since Tassadar was a huge hero even then and was basically saying 'all this poo poo we've been doing is dead wrong on like every level'.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

wiegieman posted:

Um... hello!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Star Man posted:

Wow, look at this UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER

Synastren fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 29, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Star Man posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of explanation for why the dialogue in this game is getting increasingly difficult to take seriously and weighs so heavily on everything?

Because if so, good try.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

J.theYellow posted:

Is this supposed to be some sort of explanation for why the dialogue in this game is getting increasingly difficult to take seriously and weighs so heavily on everything?

Because if so, good try.

You think it's bad now? Believe me, it gets worse. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cythereal posted:

You think it's bad now? Believe me, it gets worse. :v:

And that's not even considering HOTS!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I never said StarCraft II's plot and dialog is good :downs:

Because it's bad. Really really bad.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah the writing is pretty...yeah.

There are some individual scenes that are pretty okay but as a whole it's not so great.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Feinne posted:

Yeah the writing is pretty...yeah.

There are some individual scenes that are pretty okay but as a whole it's not so great.

The scenario designers are the real creative people.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Speedball posted:

Honestly yeah, the story for both Wings and Heart are forgivable entirely because the actual game part is pretty amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Legacy's Protoss campaign will work, since the Terran and Zerg campaigns have some pretty significant differences mechanically.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Speedball posted:

He man they had Andy Chambers... Who admittedly was always better at writing crunch then he was fluff.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
You know, one silly question that has bugged me since Starcraft is if it's ever stated in any Starcraft media how the Protoss race actually eat?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Sylphosaurus posted:

You know, one silly question that has bugged me since Starcraft is if it's ever stated in any Starcraft media how the Protoss race actually eat?

On that topic, Blizzard's lips are sealed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They're photosynthetic and absorb water through their skin.

No really.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sylphosaurus posted:

I remember following the game pretty closely while it was in development, and when that question popped up in one of the dev faqs they did instead of a question about gameplay, people poo poo bricks.

If memory serves, they also decided which dt model went into the game with a poll that was met with overwhelming support for "both, pick one at random on unit spawn."

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Kurieg posted:

They're photosynthetic and absorb water through their skin.

No really.

So they're pretty much 40k orks? :v:

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I'd be surprised if Protoss where a fungus that grew inside those magic crystalline caves that gives them psychic powers, hence Aiour was pretty important to them if that was the case.
Also if terrazine is the breath of the gods maybe it's also linked to their method of creation.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

If you've played through the campaign and want to feel better about yourself here's a link to the worst thing ever: DSP vs the Wings of Liberty

It's snippets of the whole campaign, though, so obviously don't watch it if you've not been through it before.

But yeah through his grim alchemy he manages to stagger drunkenly through failing at Normal, which is really pretty loving easy.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 6, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Isn't DSP's entire gimmick being a horrendous failure at everything, though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Yes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DSP is to gaming/life in general as woodchippers are to ducklings: a horrible, grisly mistake.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Oh my god. The SCII campaign basically holds your loving hand on normal difficulty. How can anyone be this incompetent at anything?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosSamusX posted:

Oh my god. The SCII campaign basically holds your loving hand on normal difficulty. How can anyone be this incompetent at anything?

There was some video thing where he was supposed to do an unboxing and he hosed that up too. It was like fifteen minutes long and I really wanted to find the screenshot in the Outside LP thread but couldn't. :smith:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
The highlights for DSP's XCOM playthrough are also hilarious. It takes him soooo long to figure out basic gameplay mechanics, such as "use cover to avoid getting shot" and "every soldier has two actions per turn." Truly a master of failure.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ChaosSamusX posted:

How can anyone be this incompetent at anything?

Have you been south of the mason-dixon line before?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
DSP is supported entirely through commissions as an al-Qaeda recruiter.

you are literally Buddha if you don't want to throw the failed experiment that is America into the sun after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DwuQU6DDE

how do you even gently caress up tuna salad. how do you take 20 minutes loving up tuna salad. HOW DO YOU gently caress UP SANDWICH ASSEMBLY. HOW DO YOU SOMEHOW SPEND BANK ON A PANNINI PRESS ENROUTE TO EITHER LET ALONE BOTH OF THOSE.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He's constantly talking. Just babbling and babbling and babbling. His mouth isn't connected to his brain at all. :stare:

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

DSP is supported entirely through commissions as an al-Qaeda recruiter.

you are literally Buddha if you don't want to throw the failed experiment that is America into the sun after watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DwuQU6DDE

how do you even gently caress up tuna salad. how do you take 20 minutes loving up tuna salad. HOW DO YOU gently caress UP SANDWICH ASSEMBLY. HOW DO YOU SOMEHOW SPEND BANK ON A PANNINI PRESS ENROUTE TO EITHER LET ALONE BOTH OF THOSE.

I have come to the conclusion that DSP is either a sad, terrible mistake of our gene pool as a species, or a very, very dedicated satirist/cynic who mocks the lesser examples of such stupidity by knowingly going even further.

I desperately hope it is the second.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Delta Green posted:

I have come to the conclusion that DSP is either a sad, terrible mistake of our gene pool as a species, or a very, very dedicated satirist/cynic who mocks the lesser examples of such stupidity by knowingly going even further.

I desperately hope it is the second.

At some level I think he claims that he's just not trying very hard at, like, anything and that he 'could' be good if he did but he clearly proves that to be not the case because he is clearly trying really hard whenever he's playing fighting games against other people, but he's pretty bad there too.

Also even if his terrible video gaming were satire the awful poo poo he says all the time would really make the whole thing still net unfunny, for example his reactions to Wings of Liberty make Blizzard's writers look like ardent feminists in comparison.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 7, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"There's this female here, but she's fully clothed? Like, she doesn't have her tits out? Alright, fine. That's bullshit, she didn't offer me head, but whatever."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feinne posted:

At some level I think he claims that he's just not trying very hard at, like, anything and that he 'could' be good if he did but he clearly proves that to be not the case because he is clearly trying really hard whenever he's playing fighting games against other people, but he's pretty bad there too.

Also even if his terrible video gaming were satire the awful poo poo he says all the time would really make the whole thing still net unfunny, for example his reactions to Wings of Liberty make Blizzard's writers look like ardent feminists in comparison.

He could either be a satirist, but still an awful person with no good sense of humor and the same unspeakable arrogance, or living proof that time and chance happen to all. I prefer the latter. At least there's hope for the rest of us in it somewhere, if you take the right angle.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
DSP is literally so dumb it's satire, there's plenty of running gag's to simulate his ineptitude.
He's basically the 21st century's version of the Jester.

A video of him getting stuck for 9 minutes because of duck-jumping. (twitter comes to his rescue)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb8v2HvdMC0

CommissarMega posted:

Yes, but it's unintentional from his angle.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, that's the vibe I get- it's all just an act, a very unfunny one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Way to ruin it for me...... I hoped beyond all hopes that he was real

• Locked thread