Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Somebody had to drill that hole to lock it in the On position. It wasn't just a mistake, it was a purposeful decision. loving messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Whoops, hose burst, there goes a trainload of chlorine!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gp2wx2zlRI
50 people got a little taste of WWI

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

fletcher posted:

I don't understand how the employer can be found at fault and the penalty for somebody dying is a paltry $70k.
That is the OSHA fine, that 70k goes directly to OSHA to fund OSHA. There may or may not be additional damages from lawsuits filed by the victims family.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 29, 2014

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Fire Marshal made it a point during a training session to strongly emphasize that if the little breakaway ziptie thingy that holds the pin in your fire extinguishers falls off, you should NOT replace it with a large thick industrial ziptie. They see that a lot during inspections.

Apparently it's a pretty common thing for workers to render their fire extinguishers useless unless you have a knife or scissors on you when there is a fire. (Granted, some people always carry knives, but drat).

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

In case of fire, melt plastic tie with fire.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

MasterBuilder posted:

This is my brush with a catastrophic workplace accident when I was working as a summer worker to pay for university. This was pretty lovely because the guys that were doing it were basically day labourer and had the shittiest work conditions.

Company: Viceroy Homes Ltd., Richmond
Classification unit: Modular or prefabricated building manufacture
Amount: $70,426
Date of penalty: February 10, 2009
A young worker was fatally injured when a cart carrying 1,000 kilos (2,200 pounds) of wooden trusses tipped over and landed on the worker. This employer failed to ensure the health and safety of its workers by not providing adequate supervision and by failing to have written safe work procedures in place.

How the gently caress did they not run with criminal negligence charges on the supervisors.

Trans-Pave at least made a serious act of contrition following their fuckup. I wonder what those jerkoffs with their hideous prefab log cabins promised to do to avoid jail time for the supervisor/management team.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pick for whatever reason I missed that link of yours but thanks that poo poo was intense.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

maybe you can put an extinguisher into a fire and then it will burst and put it out

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

I'll just put this with the rest of the fire

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

I Greyhound posted:

Fire Marshal made it a point during a training session to strongly emphasize that if the little breakaway ziptie thingy that holds the pin in your fire extinguishers falls off, you should NOT replace it with a large thick industrial ziptie. They see that a lot during inspections.

Apparently it's a pretty common thing for workers to render their fire extinguishers useless unless you have a knife or scissors on you when there is a fire. (Granted, some people always carry knives, but drat).

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

No you do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkvVBZwXVhg#t=1m06s

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Decided to look for a more thematic content (image of zip-tied extinguisher), and found some new good images!

The Naval Safety Center has a photo of the week set with lots of good ones, but they're in PDF format, so may be some work to inline post.
For example:
http://www.public.navy.mil/comnavsafecen/Documents/Photo/551-600/560.pdf

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 29, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Ladders and electricity: this is one of my new favorites.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

I think the really banal ones are my favourites. I mean come on.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Bubble-T posted:

I think the really banal ones are my favourites. I mean come on.

That probably took a lot of work to get the rungs spaced correctly after bending the uprights.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

proof of concept posted:

Whoops, hose burst, there goes a trainload of chlorine!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gp2wx2zlRI
50 people got a little taste of WWI

It loving figures, that of all places you would expect something like this to happen, it would be in Festus, Missouri. What a terrible, southern-shithole-sounding name.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Some kid at my high school died because he thought that plastic milk crates were acceptable substitutes for jack stands when you are under a car. He thought wrong.

He was also 17 and repeating the 9th grade for the third time so that might explain a few things.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The_Franz posted:

Some kid at my high school died because he thought that plastic milk crates were acceptable substitutes for jack stands when you are under a car. He thought wrong.

He was also 17 and repeating the 9th grade for the third time so that might explain a few things.
Those kinda of pictures always scare the crap out of me. I am loving terrified of getting under cars even when its on jackstands and everything is properly blocked.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Leperflesh posted:

I've seen this before, but I still love it. My favorites are the ones where the people nicely shave all the A/C units and stuff off the top of their huge RV trailers.

I feel a little bad for the people driving rental trucks. They're probably not so familiar with driving a large vehicle, they're probably financially strapped because they're moving, and they're probably going to get dicked over by the rental company.

The ones I have no sympathy for whatsoever are the big rig drivers. They've had training and should know better.

But ALL of them try to drive under that thing despite the big flashing lights and huge signs warning about the height.

The thing that terrifies me about that one is the trains going right overhead some of which have tanker cars full of who knows what. :stonk:

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Entropic posted:

The thing that terrifies me about that one is the trains going right overhead some of which have tanker cars full of who knows what. :stonk:

We saw what a few pages back.

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Entropic posted:

Bridge parts and warning signs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What's the problem here? They posted a warning sign and everything!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Angela Christine posted:

What's the problem here? They posted a warning sign and everything!

It's ambiguous. It could either be a warning to people to stay out of some acid, or a warning to acid to stay out of a delightful water feature.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

etalian posted:

it's always the deep south for some unknown reason

Life gets cheaper the hotter the areas climate is.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

It's ambiguous. It could either be a warning to people to stay out of some acid, or a warning to acid to stay out of a delightful water feature.

It's a drug-free zone.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bubble-T posted:

It's a drug-free zone.

It could also be a rave free zone.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Same thing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So I saw one last night. Picture this. A sedan is being pulled by an SUV. neither has towing apparatus, the car is attached to the suv by a 5-7' cable and has a guy inside steering it (its lights were off, presumably its engine too so he was steering and braking by sheer muscle power). A second SUV is behind the car with emergency blinkers flashing. Every time the lead SUV stopped, the sedan nearly rear-ended it. Sedan Guy must have had to slam on the brakes and yank the e-brake, too. I was behind them for two blocks before they turned off, heading for a steep hill.

Oh, and they were doing this around midnight.

Anyone know where Americans can get dash cams?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 29, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So I saw one last night. Picture this. A sedan is being pulled by an SUV. neither has towing apparatus, the car is attached to the suv by a 5-7' cable and has a guy inside steering it (its lights were off, presumably its engine too so he was steering and braking by sheer muscle power). A second SUV is behind the car with emergency blinkers flashing. Every time the lead SUV stopped, the sedan nearly rear-ended it. Sedan Guy must have had to slam on the brakes and yank the e-brake, too. I was behind them for two blocks before they turned off, heading for a steep hill.

Oh, and they were doing this around midnight.

Amazon.com

Or just get a phone holder on your dash and always be recording. I've actually been thinking about getting one since I got my new job, as I'm driving a lot and see a ton of crazy poo poo. Nothing as crazy as that, yet, but still.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Life gets cheaper the hotter the areas climate is.

Explain Russia then.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

That's actually the best part, the people running the railroad didn't want trucks loving up the bridge so they built a reinforced metal barrier thing with the same clearance a few feet in front of it for people to hit instead of the bridge itself then strutted away dusting their hands and congratulating themselves on a job well done.

that site's FAQ posted:

Norfolk Southern Railroad owns the train trestle, and their concern is primarily with keeping the trains running and keeping them running safely. So their concern is mainly with reducing the impact of the truck crashes on the actual structure of the train trestle. As far as they are concerned, they solved that problem by installing the crash beam.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

There is a Dashcam thread in AI! They will fix you all up with a dashcam to suit your needs.

Entropic posted:

Naw. That's a pretty stout and modern-looking railway trestle. I expect you could slam a semi with 100k pounds of load into it at freeway speeds and all you'd do is obliterate the semi. Those i-beams are massive.

Think about what an ordinary 12" diameter tree does to basically any vehicle that hits it, and then multiply that by a whole lot. This is hand waving because it's 1 AM so I don't feel like looking up the tensile strength of a 3' wide steel I-beam so just trust me on this: the trains are safe.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 29, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nutsngum posted:

Explain Russia then.

Well I was strictly speaking of North America. But looking worldwide, life is cheapest where the temperature reaches high and low extremes. Everyone in the nice comfy zones generally get along, but get to hot or too cold, and folk just wanna kill.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hence Florida and Arizona.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

There is a Dashcam thread in AI! They will fix you all up with a dashcam to suit your needs.

Naw. That's a pretty stout and modern-looking railway trestle. I expect you could slam a semi with 100k pounds of load into it at freeway speeds and all you'd do is obliterate the semi. Those i-beams are massive.

Think about what an ordinary 12" diameter tree does to basically any vehicle that hits it, and then multiply that by a whole lot. This is hand waving because it's 1 AM so I don't feel like looking up the tensile strength of a 3' wide steel I-beam so just trust me on this: the trains are safe.

Apparently they've already had to replace the trestle once, so I wouldn't be so confident. That site says it's getting hit at full speed about once per month on average.

E: Actually, I think it was the crash beam that was replaced. Now I can't find where on the site I read it to confirm :saddowns:

Also, for whoever asked earlier, here's what the FAQ says about why they can't install anything further out from the bridge to warn trucks they're going to be too tall:

quote:

A low clearance bar is a bar suspended by chains ahead of the bridge. Overheight vehicles hit that bar first and the noise alerts the driver to to the problem. I understand that this approach has been successful in other places, but it’s not practical here. There are many overheight trucks that have to be able to drive right up to the bridge and turn onto Peabody St. in order to deliver supplies to several restaurants. Making Peabody St inaccessible from Gregson St would make the restaurant owners and the delivery drivers very unhappy.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 29, 2014

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
This just happened outside my window and I thought of this thread

Excuse the crappy phone image, can't be bothered resizing or trimming it up. You get the idea - one foot on the windowsill, no harness or rope, leaning out the window. At least he's only on the second floor!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Personperson14 posted:

Hence Florida and Arizona.

North Florida and the panhandle is essentially the Deep South. South Florida is almost analogous to any Central American or Caribbean country. Both tend to operate largely in a "whatever works" fashion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HazCat posted:

Apparently they've already had to replace the trestle once, so I wouldn't be so confident. That site says it's getting hit at full speed about once per month on average.

Also, for whoever asked earlier, here's what the FAQ says about why they can't install anything further out from the bridge to warn trucks they're going to be too tall:

Well, I assume then that what I'm looking at in the recent videos is the replacement trestle, which they've built specifically to withstand monthly truck impacts, because it looks really sturdy to me.

But I admit I'm not a structural engineer.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Well, I assume then that what I'm looking at in the recent videos is the replacement trestle, which they've built specifically to withstand monthly truck impacts, because it looks really sturdy to me.

But I admit I'm not a structural engineer.

Nah, like I edited above, I was confusing the trestle with the crash beam. I'm pretty sure it was the crash beam which was replaced, not the trestle.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The proper way to dispose of 20,000lbs of wartime surplus sodium metal; throw it in a frozen lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
that's pretty much the same as dumping a huge amount of lye (sodium hydroxide) into the lake right? which would make it into an alkaline deathpit. I wonder how long it took to recover (if it ever did)?

• Locked thread