Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I'd have to say that having a league, heck even more than one is good for the overall health of the sport in the country. It will only get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Bogan Krkic posted:

MLS may have lifted the US team to a passable level, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to say that has then lifted the entire confederation.

Yes it has. Not Mexico, but Central America and the Caribbean are much better than they used to be and I would directly attribute that to MLS's influence. And if Canada's FA wasn't such a shambles, they'd be showing improvement too.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Let me say I dread the birth of NYCFC next season and the nightmare hybrid Yankee/MLS/Italy supporters it is going to spawn

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Mr. Mambold posted:

- and the 1950 Joe Gaetjens (ironically, from Haiti) goal to beat, um, world power England 1-0. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ESTvxyqsI

That was #3.

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

Let me say I dread the birth of NYCFC next season and the nightmare hybrid Yankee/MLS/Italy supporters it is going to spawn

Agreed, although it sounds like they're gonna get David Villa, which is kind of cool even if he's well past his prime.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 30, 2014

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

You could always support the Cosmos.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Probably because no one in the U.S. was aware of it or cared besides the team. People reading it in England thought it was a joke or a misprint.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Suqit posted:

You could always support the Cosmos.

I could but I wouldn't send Hitler to Long Island to watch a football match

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fuhgeddaboutit Finn, it's going to be appalling.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yes it has. Not Mexico, but Central America and the Caribbean are much better than they used to be and I would directly attribute that to MLS's influence. And if Canada's FA wasn't such a shambles, they'd be showing improvement too.

Can you show your working as to how a better league in America contributes to every other North and Central American teams improving?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Central America and the Caribbean are much better than they used to be and I would directly attribute that to MLS's influence

I'm curious about your arguments regarding this, can you elaborate?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Drogadon posted:

Just look at how many times a US team has won the CONCACAF Champions League compared to, I don't know, Costa Rica?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Its weird that Costa Rica made it out of there group before MLS existed, allegedly

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vaginal culture posted:

Its weird that Costa Rica made it out of there group before MLS existed, allegedly

Was this before Carlos Hernandez was fat and was still the best player in the world?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Can you show your working as to how a better league in America contributes to every other North and Central American teams improving?

Drogadon posted:

My guess would be the league offers a place for a whole lot of North and Central Americans to play professional soccer, and if MLS and others leagues weren't there, it would mean fewer of those players getting a chance to play professionally and thereby bringing the level of soccer up for the entire region.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suqit posted:

My guess would be the league offers a place for a whole lot of North and Central Americans to play professional soccer, and if MLS and others leagues weren't there, it would mean fewer of those players getting a chance to play professionally and thereby bringing the level of soccer up for the entire region.

This would be true if literally every country other than the US didn't already have a professional league before MLS.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shrapnig posted:

This would be true if literally every country other than the US didn't already have a professional league before MLS.

And if those countries like Mexico didn't have professional leagues either.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Imagine if Hugo Sanchez had the opportunity to play in MLS before he was 40, what a player he could have been.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I hope they all get hit by a bus, or train, something heavy anyway(Jozy).

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I'm the guy on the far-right.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Shrapnig posted:

Bogan Krkic posted:

There are still more teams which means more spots for more players to play professionally. Lots of North and Central American internationals play in MLS, so I would guess the existence of the league helps their overall soccer level.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

We actually pay our players though

Not much, but you know, they get their checks.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?forums/nycfc-songs-chants.28/

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

quote:

I'm always down for Billy Joel.

I'd say it's a toss-up between this, Rob Thomas or Andrew WK.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suqit posted:

There are still more teams which means more spots for more players to play professionally. Lots of North and Central American internationals play in MLS, so I would guess the existence of the league helps their overall soccer level.

Or we're marginalizing the talent of the whole confederation by allowing players who would otherwise be playing for some team in their domestic league greater exposure and therefore having them get picked for their national teams because they're playing in a "bigger" league.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Suqit posted:

Yeah, but like Tom and Shrapnac were saying earlier, there are now too many teams and spots, which is diluting the talent pool and decreasing the level of play that these new international players are competing in. Its fair enough to say that more professional leagues will aid the development of players in them, but I hardly think that replacing the NASL with the MLS made a noticeable difference to the standard of play throughout the continent.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Before MLS existed, Central American clubs won the CONCACAF cup all the time, nowadays that's unheard of. The way I see it MLS has had a part in making the other local leagues worse by giving players who couldn't quite make the jump to Europe a place to make more money, keeping only the really young and the poo poo in the local leagues.

This is an interesting topic that I hadn't thought about before.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bottle of red, bottle of white,
Gonna lose to Vancouver tonight.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Drogadon posted:

We, as a league, have been really good at getting not the top talent of each team in our region, but finding and developing the middle to back ends of the rosters. So we're not going to do anything for the Bryan Ruiz/Wilson Palacios/Dwight Yorke's of CONCACAF, but guys like Roger Espinosa, Cienfuegos, Marco Pappa, and half of the Jamaican national team from the last 10 years we are going to provide a place for them to play and develop. By making the #5-11 guys better, it has eased the massive drop-off in talent most of our confederation has, or rather it moved the drop-off from 1-4 and everyone else to 1-8 and everyone else.

Our qualifying is way more competitive than it used to be and I really feel that it's not so much Mexico and the US getting worse, but the rest of CONCACAF has just gotten better because more of their players are playing in better leagues. And I believe MLS is a better league than all but Mexico in our region.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 30, 2014

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Things aren't perfect and there's of course room for improvement, but you have to start somewhere. It will get better.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Chris de Sperg posted:

They all look italian, so im pretty sure they are all on the far right mate

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Suqit posted:

Things aren't perfect and there's of course room for improvement, but you have to start somewhere. It will get better.

This quote can go for literally everything about the sport in the US, but some people just want to poo poo on everything instead.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Hello Towel posted:

This quote can go for literally everything about the sport in the US, but some people just want to poo poo on everything instead.

As long as we continue believing, we've already won.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

It's not so much making GBS threads on everything but rather saying that football development in CONCACAF is probably not solely attributable or even at all attributable to AMERICA AMERICA AMARICA MLS WORLD LEADERS SAVING GRACE OF HUMANITY

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's not so much making GBS threads on everything but rather saying that football development in CONCACAF is probably not solely attributable or even at all attributable to AMERICA AMERICA AMARICA MLS WORLD LEADERS SAVING GRACE OF HUMANITY

To say it's not attributable it all is pretty silly.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Suqit posted:

To say it's not attributable it all is pretty silly.

I don't really know much about the NASL, but is MLS really that much better?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Chris de Sperg posted:

Well you are at oxford

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yup.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's better to some degree than the other non Mexico leagues in CONCACAF which allows a few guys (or in Jamaica's case half a team) a place to develop that is better than their own local league. At the very least, Jamaica and a few other central American countries have been positively impacted by MLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

If you're talking new NASL yes. MLS teams are typically able to beat NASL teams in the Open Cup starting mostly backups.

MLS to old NASL? I think in the end it's apples to oranges because the leagues are/were structured in different ways.

• Locked thread