Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Any rumors on what Apple would potentially be adding to the next OS X update? I'm guessing that is pretty likely at WWDC.

That 10.10 will be announced at WWDC is as close to a sure thing as these things get. There's supposedly going to be an iOS 7-like redesign, but nobody seems to know what that means specifically. Besides that, I haven't read anything besides guesswork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Did something change with the trackpad sensitivity on 10.9? It feels like it detects the slightest movement of my finger now which is annoying when scrolling, before it felt like I actually had to intentionally slide my fingers on the pad for the cursor to move. I'm pretty sure when I was using 10.8 it felt more intelligent, now it reminds me of how the trackpad works when booted into windows.

e: it seems to mostly be scrolling sensitivity that's the problem, and the tracking speed slider doesn't do anything.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 28, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anyone else experienced Contacts.app in 10.9.3 refusing to look up addresses in an Exchange GAL? The Exchange Global Address List shows as empty (as it should), but typing stuff in the search box on other clients brings up results. On this particular one it does nothing.

I haven't gotten far enough in yet to try a different user account but that's my next step. The Exchange GAL is an Office 365 thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Heads up for anyone happening to use TrueCrypt, this is is uh, :psyduck:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/truecrypt-is-not-secure-official-sourceforge-page-abruptly-warns/

Hopefully just a(n elaborate) site hack but you probably want to keep an eye on the situation for a bit and see what's going on.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Quoting to mention that I use 1password and overall love it, but holy hell is the android app bad. As mentioned it doesn't auto fill (which already is disappointing but liveable) and the app always, always takes about 15 seconds to open.

Relief is finally coming on June 10th!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Funny you say that, after posting my rant I got mad and emailed the 1 password Android email about the issues. Super quick and super nice response, they gave me a link to the beta, and I can confirm it overall works really nicely. Basically the iOS app but Android. You can actually look at the app without blanching! I am bought on board.

It does not yet have Chrome integration for Android, which would be nice but I really wouldn't sweat it that much if they don't do that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
The first build of the 10.9.4 seed, 13E9, has been released to testers, with absolutely no mention of what areas to focus on.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kode54 posted:

The first build of the 10.9.4 seed, 13E9, has been released to testers, with absolutely no mention of what areas to focus on.
User impressions are sparse so far as well. I was going to install it on one of my machines out of curiosity, but I'm just going to wait to see what WWDC brings. We could end up with a 10.10 developer preview in a few days.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

Heads up for anyone happening to use TrueCrypt, this is is uh, :psyduck:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/truecrypt-is-not-secure-official-sourceforge-page-abruptly-warns/

Hopefully just a(n elaborate) site hack but you probably want to keep an eye on the situation for a bit and see what's going on.

Looks legit to me. The guy maintaining it probably just got bored of replicating a feature already built in to most operating systems. Was there ever a reason to use TrueCrypt over FileVault on OS X?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I'm not sure if this goes here, but I have Sublime set up for two columns maximized on one of my desktops, and I leave this window open pretty much all the time. However, sometimes I want to open up a new window using subl -n, and have it only open with one column, on half the screen. Is there a way I can set that up?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does anyone know how to restart Google Drive if it stops responding? Sometimes it'll freeze up and not update the folder. I can still put files in the folder, but it won't upload and sync it across my other devices. It doesn't show up under Force Quit. I usually end up having to restart my laptop but I feel like there should be a way for me to quit the program without restarting my laptop.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Use Activity Monitor

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Looks legit to me. The guy maintaining it probably just got bored of replicating a feature already built in to most operating systems. Was there ever a reason to use TrueCrypt over FileVault on OS X?

Well FileVault is proprietary so it's impossible to know the full extent of what's really going on.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ambushsabre posted:

Well FileVault is proprietary so it's impossible to know the full extent of what's really going on.

Nonsense, Apple disclosed quite a lot about how FV2 works in this white paper:

http://training.apple.com/pdf/WP_FileVault2.pdf

and these guys did some independent digging:

http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/374.pdf

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
What's the go-to for converting a Word file (.docx, but I could save it as something else) to PDF, while still retaining hyperlinks and not getting an insane file size? I'm willing to Print to PDF or whatever, then manually make the file smaller and add things like links back in, but I'd prefer not to. Edit: I'm on 10.9
See the few posts below this.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 29, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

DirtyRobot posted:

What's the go-to for converting a Word file (.docx, but I could save it as something else) to PDF, while still retaining hyperlinks and not getting an insane file size? I'm willing to Print to PDF or whatever, then manually make the file smaller and add things like links back in, but I'd prefer not to. Edit: I'm on 10.9

Word lets you save as a PDF, which seems to preserve hyperlinks. Not sure about filesize but it's worth a shot.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DirtyRobot posted:

Doesn't MS Office have a Save to PDF feature now? Or maybe that's just on Windows. *That* should maintain hyperlinks.

Any kind of print function won't ... that kind of data isn't in the print stream unfortunately ... (I used to work in document services).

You could always mark up the PDFs after the fact. :/

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

dik-dik posted:

Word lets you save as a PDF, which seems to preserve hyperlinks. Not sure about filesize but it's worth a shot.

Pivo posted:

Doesn't MS Office have a Save to PDF feature now? Or maybe that's just on Windows. *That* should maintain hyperlinks.

Any kind of print function won't ... that kind of data isn't in the print stream unfortunately ... (I used to work in document services).

You could always mark up the PDFs after the fact. :/

Yep, I'm an idiot. Word now does have a Save as PDF function and I have failed to use it like a dolt. I thought print to PDF was still all that was available, and as Pivo mentioned, printers don't care too much about links. Just wait until hyperlinks on physical paper do work. Oh-ho-ho.

Using save as PDF, filesize wasn't really an issue, either. I had a 30 page doc with some images here and there, and the change in size was 1.1 MB --> 1.4 MB. Not bad at all.

Thanks guys.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there any way to make my computer automatically connect to my bluetooth audio receiver when I get home? I thought there'd be a way to do this with ControlPlane but it doesn't seem there is.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

DirtyRobot posted:

Just wait until hyperlinks on physical paper do work. Oh-ho-ho.

Years back I worked at kinko's. One day we got a angry, flustered old woman trying to use one of the rental computers... Turns out she'd called up the web browser on the computer, and was sitting in front of it tapping a link on a paper printout of an email she'd brought from home and couldn't understand why the browser wouldn't go.

I wish I could say this was out of the ordinary for a kinko's customer.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

Years back I worked at kinko's. One day we got a angry, flustered old woman trying to use one of the rental computers... Turns out she'd called up the web browser on the computer, and was sitting in front of it tapping a link on a paper printout of an email she'd brought from home and couldn't understand why the browser wouldn't go.

I wish I could say this was out of the ordinary for a kinko's customer.

This is one of the most :smith: things I've ever read.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dik-dik posted:

Is there any way to make my computer automatically connect to my bluetooth audio receiver when I get home? I thought there'd be a way to do this with ControlPlane but it doesn't seem there is.
Weird, I've used a little BT receiver before but stopped cause it kept connecting automatically even when I didn't want it to.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

BobHoward posted:

Nonsense, Apple disclosed quite a lot about how FV2 works in this white paper:

http://training.apple.com/pdf/WP_FileVault2.pdf

and these guys did some independent digging:

http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/374.pdf

Anyone who uses a non open-source and audited encryption solution is a big doofus. No amount of digging will necessarily expose any potentially uhhh unwanted features implemented by the developer.

$1 says the TrueCrypt situation is a canary. They got a national security letter and this is how they're dealing with it without going to prison forever.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

...why would the TrueCrypt authors go to prison?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

AlternateAccount posted:

Anyone who uses a non open-source and audited encryption solution is a big doofus. No amount of digging will necessarily expose any potentially uhhh unwanted features implemented by the developer.

You are saying this in the month of May of tyool 2014, when Heartbleed should be a thing that is near to the top of your mind. OpenSSL was open source and had been through audits and neither of those things prevented one of the worst uhhhh "unwanted" features I have ever heard of from creeping in.

Access to source is a tool for evaluating the quality of a crypto system. But It isn't the only tool, nor is it anything like a guarantee that you will know about problems. Many of the worst open sores security fiascoes weren't even discovered by source inspection.

I have no opinion worth sharing re: TrueCrypt because I have not followed that situation very closely, but claims that open source is a magic security wand always rub the wrong way.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dik-dik posted:

...why would the TrueCrypt authors go to prison?
The whole Lavabit situation comes to mind :911:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is it still a pain in the butt to burn bootable DVDs from ISOs in OSX? I've got no spare flash drives but a bunch of 8gig DVDs sitting around doing nothing and I'd like to make some boot discs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is it still a pain in the butt to burn bootable DVDs from ISOs in OSX?
I've never once had an issue with this since switching to OS X with 10.4, so I'm not sure what sort of problems you've encountered. It's worked every time I need to do it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've never once had an issue with this since switching to OS X with 10.4, so I'm not sure what sort of problems you've encountered. It's worked every time I need to do it.

poo poo, am I thinking of the other way around where getting them on flash drives was a pain? The last time I worried about setting up bootable stuff was when my windows PC died and I eventually just copied the ISO to the flash drive I was using and making it bootable on a friend's copy of windows because I just couldn't get it to boot otherwise..

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
When it comes down to PC-bootable CDs and DVDs, you can pretty much just:

dd if=the.iso of=/dev/disk# bs=2048

Where the # is the number of the volume currently mounted from the flash drive you are trying to write to. A lot easier than futzing with random tools which format the drive FAT32 and copy the files over manually. It may even work for Mac-bootable CDs and DVDs, but I haven't needed to boot any media on a Mac in ages. In fact, the last time I needed to update a Macbook from 10.5 to 10.6 in the field, with no optical media handy (and even if I did have a burnable DVD, the Macbook only had a combo drive capable of burning CDs), I just shrunk the root partition on the Macbook, created a new HFS+ Journaled partition of about 8GB, restored the install media DMG to it, then ran the installer. (This process is 100% necessary, as 10.6 and older were not designed to install from downloadable packages, so they need to be able to find the install media during and after the boot process.)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kode54 posted:

When it comes down to PC-bootable CDs and DVDs, you can pretty much just:

dd if=the.iso of=/dev/disk# bs=2048

Where the # is the number of the volume currently mounted from the flash drive you are trying to write to. A lot easier than futzing with random tools which format the drive FAT32 and copy the files over manually. It may even work for Mac-bootable CDs and DVDs, but I haven't needed to boot any media on a Mac in ages. In fact, the last time I needed to update a Macbook from 10.5 to 10.6 in the field, with no optical media handy (and even if I did have a burnable DVD, the Macbook only had a combo drive capable of burning CDs), I just shrunk the root partition on the Macbook, created a new HFS+ Journaled partition of about 8GB, restored the install media DMG to it, then ran the installer. (This process is 100% necessary, as 10.6 and older were not designed to install from downloadable packages, so they need to be able to find the install media during and after the boot process.)

Oh nice, thanks! This is one of those subjects where most of the search results don't work or have info from ~2009.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Can anyone recommend a Windows style window snapping resizer? I know BetterTouchTool does it (for free) but I don't want to install the whole thing and update it every few days when it's the only feature I use.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

gnrk posted:

Can anyone recommend a Windows style window snapping resizer? I know BetterTouchTool does it (for free) but I don't want to install the whole thing and update it every few days when it's the only feature I use.

Well, there's always BetterSnapTool

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm aware of that. I'd rather try something from a different developer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gnrk posted:

I'm aware of that. I'd rather try something from a different developer.
I use Moom (which does a lot more than just snapping), otherwise there's Divvy and...I forget what else but there's quite a few out there.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

AlternateAccount posted:

$1 says the TrueCrypt situation is a canary. They got a national security letter and this is how they're dealing with it without going to prison forever.

Vs Apple who does in fact have a warrant canary? And what exactly could a NSL do with TrueCrypt? They don't have any secrets or information on users to give, and I haven't heard of any legal process that'd force a developer to add code to software, especially an open-source one.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

japtor posted:

I use Moom (which does a lot more than just snapping), otherwise there's Divvy and...I forget what else but there's quite a few out there.

Moom is great and works way better than a simple snap tool.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

Hyperdock does window snapping as well.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

japtor posted:

There's a big list of window management software in the OP... that no one reads. :v:

Apologies for stealing your line Sex Parrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
BetterSnapTool still wins because it replaces the functionality of Zooom/2 as far as using modifier keys + mouse movement to move or resize windows

Once you get used to holding shift+CMD+mouse movement to move windows around (and/or shift+alt+ mouse movement to resize a window) there's no going back to the normal slow rear end way of window management.