Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
NeoSeeker, just because Breaking Bad emphasizes with characters who does bad things doesn't mean the show doesn't have a clear sense of morality. I feel like you've tried to color Breaking Bad as this show about how morality is entirely subjective or how there really isn't good or evil, and that's wrong. The show definitely believes that all people are capable of both and it points out moral ambiguity and hypocrisies, but that doesn't mean the show isn't presenting a clear sense of its own morality. For example, I think Breaking Bad constantly argues that the corruption or harm of a child is literally the worst thing you can do, using that act for a dramatic stakes and to color how far gone characters are.

In short, it's silly to argue that the world "villain" is invalid in Breaking Bad. It's valid in the sense that Gus and Tuco are monsters. And it's valid in the sense that Gus and Tuco are antagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
:psyduck:

You're not trying to argue that Todd and his Neo-Nazi family were morally ambiguous... right?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Todd is pure theatre, he's a cartoon gimmick. He's innocent and dopey while being casually violent. That's his entire character.

A bit like the mute assassin twins, although they were never main characters.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

:psyduck:

You're not trying to argue that Todd and his Neo-Nazi family were morally ambiguous... right?
No, I'm saying that most of the characters on the show aren't morally ambiguous.

The important thing to remember about Todd though is that as awful as he is, he represents a corrupted child. That's the point of him taking Drew's tarantula, to demonstrate that he is on the same level of Drew. The same goes for the twins who are only shown as human when they're children.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Reminds me of all that nonsensical "I'm still on Team Walt" rhetoric that started going around after the season 4 ending.

It annoyed the hell out of me when people kept trying to define all of the characters as this or that, and it seemed like they were more interested in getting bogged down in the nomenclature rather than discussing the greater themes the characters are serving.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

The show demonstrates everyone has a reason for what they do. I could ask you the same question about Mike, Saul, Walter, hell even Hank, Marie and Sky.

Walter poisoned a child to emotionally manipulate his best friend. Are you referring to Jack as the child murdering nazi? Because I never recall him killing anyone except Hank, possibly gomey.

Dude you're totally missing my point. They are still antagonists but they aren't villains by common definition because it's demonstrated that no one is intrinsically a villain. This is also demonstrated probably intentionally with the introduction of Todd. He is a twisted and sick character to an observer but if you look deeper there's a reason for it. I the end he simply wanted things to work out, he didn't have a problem with how it happens.

Does a character need a lack of motivation to be a "villain"? Are you using the "evil antagonist to the hero" or the "malevolent individual" meaning of the word?
Because the perceived malevolence of some characters is based on their motivations. Everyone has got pretty glaring flaws but how characters cope with their flaws and the collateral damage such flaws might cause is what give a "malevolent individual" status to certain characters.

I mean, I appreciated a lot the fact that Hank wasn't shown as a 100% badass. When he went to El Paso his colleagues belittled him for his attitude and got PSTD to boot: that's why he preferred chasing the white rabbit, when he shows his boss the distorted photo of the RV as solid evidence for the blue meth case - which eventually really turns into functional evidence, only because he feels he needs to make up for his failure as a fed.
Hank is flawed, he knows it and wants to make up for it. This is what makes him a "good" character: he doesn't rationalize his flaws while feeding them.
And when he discovers who Heisenberg is, he's still a coward. He's worried because his career will be over the moment he'll reveal the truth: but he's bent on catching Walt. Once again: I think he knows his flaws and doesn't try making up bullshit to convince himself that he shouldn't feel bad for being a coward.

Contrast to Walt: "I'm doing it for the family!", which is the complete opposite reaction. Walt has knowledge of his own flaws, but he cannot admit it. He has to hide the true motivation of his actions because he can't show acknowledgment of his personal weakness. When his actions were caused by one of his flaws, he had to pull out the "I did for a noble cause" card because he couldn't live with the idea of being a flawed individual - and he's seen the consequences of this behavior of his more than once: the fact that he's didn't change ways is what makes him a malevolent individual.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Think about it less. It's semantics practically.
Of course there are many villains, by definition, in this story. There are even plenty of people you have every right to not sympathize with. And therein lies my point; Walter, the main character, has done plenty of stuff to get on anyone's shitlist, to some possibly even more so than the actual antagonists.

The way I see it there are no bad guys or good guys here. They're all people, they aren't dichotomised into the people you root for or the people you hate as much as another story would. I'm not saying it's the first by far, but so far it's the best example of a really morally grey story. I'm not saying there's no black or white either. There are definitely evil people in this story, but they're inorganic agents of plot. That may seem contradictory to the statement made at the beginning of this paragraph, but that's how I feel about the plot, What others may see as black and white I personally see as really blurry. I was rooting for everyone just because it was so interesting to watch.

It sounds crazy but I pity the twins. And there's actually a decent explanation for that. If I have to explain you'd probably not understand in the first place. From the childhood scenes of them purely innocent to the scenes of them being hardcore bad guys.

In the scene just before hank blows one of their heads off I was scared for hank as hell. But in the back of my mind I was thinking what could possibly make this person this disturbingly psychopathic.

I came across this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsqdmqRgrIc

It gets greater each time, probably because the show went on after it was made..

What's the best compilation of every time Jesse says bitch?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 26, 2014

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
This is the best drat tribute I've seen to pretty much anything. Gets the tone and the weight of the show absolutely right:

http://vimeo.com/93042217

Yes, the song is the same one used in a scene in the season 4 finale.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

f#a# posted:

This is the best drat tribute I've seen to pretty much anything. Gets the tone and the weight of the show absolutely right:

http://vimeo.com/93042217

Yes, the song is the same one used in a scene in the season 4 finale.
Excellently put together tribute to the show's more tragic side, but really, remembering Breaking Bad as just an expertly executed tragedy does the show a disservice, since it's also an excellent comedy.
God, is there any other drama that does black comedy so well?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It doesn't get as dark obviously, but Mad Men is another show that's mostly known for being Serious Drama but is also one of the funniest shows on tv.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DaVinci's Demons is hilarious, but not on purpose.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I started watching the show recently and I'm currently in season 3, and though I am glad that Walt is making meth again because that period where he wasn't was incredibly dull, I can't figure out why Gus wants Walt to work for him. Gale seemed to know everything Walt knows and was more stable and reliable and way less crazy. Gus wouldn't hire Jesse because he wasn't reliable enough, but he wants Walt? How does this make any kind of sense?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

One very important thing for this show to work is this fact:
Walts superpower is supermeth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I started watching the show recently and I'm currently in season 3, and though I am glad that Walt is making meth again because that period where he wasn't was incredibly dull, I can't figure out why Gus wants Walt to work for him. Gale seemed to know everything Walt knows and was more stable and reliable and way less crazy. Gus wouldn't hire Jesse because he wasn't reliable enough, but he wants Walt? How does this make any kind of sense?

Gale is able to make really really good meth. Walt is able to make Supermeth and Gale isn't able to replicate it. Gus has his reasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Gale is able to make really really good meth. Walt is able to make Supermeth and Gale isn't able to replicate it. Gus has his reasons.

I guess I've never understood this. I know Walt is super finicky about his meth quality, and yeah, Jesse was really impressed, but Jesse's friends seemed to think that Jesse's version was just as good, and is the average meth user really that picky? Especially given that Walt wasn't making any at the time and would soon have been dead if Gus didn't step in, couldn't he have just gone on selling the slightly lower quality product? What does he even gain from this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I guess I've never understood this. I know Walt is super finicky about his meth quality, and yeah, Jesse was really impressed, but Jesse's friends seemed to think that Jesse's version was just as good, and is the average meth user really that picky? Especially given that Walt wasn't making any at the time and would soon have been dead if Gus didn't step in, couldn't he have just gone on selling the slightly lower quality product? What does he even gain from this?

This is a spoiler for later motivations, I don't know how far you've seen but this addresses things later in the season.
Everything Gus did he did to get to the Cartel and get into a position he could murder them all. The super-duper high quality meth was his ticket in.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
It was a bad decision by Gus, Gale's product was perfectly sufficient and didn't involve all the baggage Walt brought (the cartel, Heisenberg investigation, and Walts destructiveness).

Considering Gus' cautious and meticulous characterisation it's a minor plot hole, but it can be explained by Gus wanting to possess the best meth product in the world, and as part of his eventual plan to sabotage the cartel and be the sole large meth distributor in the South West. Also Gus was never really as cautious as he was made out to be in season 2. I doubt season 2 Gus would personally host that little intervention between Jesse and the two street level dealers, no matter what Walt said.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ravel posted:

It was a bad decision by Gus, Gale's product was perfectly sufficient and didn't involve all the baggage Walt brought (the cartel, Heisenberg investigation, and Walts destructiveness).

Considering Gus' cautious and meticulous characterisation it's a minor plot hole, but it can be explained by Gus wanting to possess the best meth product in the world, and as part of his eventual plan to sabotage the cartel and be the sole large meth distributor in the South West. Also Gus was never really as cautious as he was made out to be in season 2. I doubt season 2 Gus would personally host that little intervention between Jesse and the two street level dealers, no matter what Walt said.

I think the original plan was bring on Walt for 3 months and teach Gale how to make it, and then Walt stops due to dying from cancer or something else. He didn't expect Walt to push Gale out of the operation like he did.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Excellently put together tribute to the show's more tragic side, but really, remembering Breaking Bad as just an expertly executed tragedy does the show a disservice, since it's also an excellent comedy.
God, is there any other drama that does black comedy so well?

The Sopranos. Breaking Bad is a close second, in terms of comedy, but I think the Sopranos is quite possibly the funniest TV show ever made that wasn't actually a comedy.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
So just the other week I finished the show (I don't have cable so I had to netflix it). I can't stop worrying about Jesse. I hope he's going to be OK. :ohdear:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ravel posted:

That intervention scene always bugged me. If Gus was so cautious, there would be about 40 people in between street level dealers and himself, none of whom would know who they really worked for.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Let a good thing die, please.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

If you honestly are like "pffft, ya whatever don't give me anymore creativity Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston" I think I might hate you.

I hate this new fad of wanting the best TV to go away as quickly as possible by all the hipster TV fans.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm seeing that story blow up everywhere and it makes me chuckle. Cranston's just messing with the interviewer. There's not going to be anymore straight-up Breaking Bad.

Better Call Saul is the closest we'll ever get to more.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

BlackJosh posted:

If you honestly are like "pffft, ya whatever don't give me anymore creativity Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston" I think I might hate you.

I hate this new fad of wanting the best TV to go away as quickly as possible by all the hipster TV fans.

Well I hate this fad of wanting the best TV to go on forever until its shamefully pathetic and unworthy of being finished.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BlackJosh posted:

It's not so much a fad as people noticing that the best TV shows are the ones that ended before they got poo poo and ones that come back tend to demonstrate exactly why it was a good thing they'd finished in the first place. The people who made those shows can go on to make other shows, and that's great, but look at The Simpsons. That's what happens when shows don't end.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It's not so much a fad as people noticing that the best TV shows are the ones that ended before they got poo poo and ones that come back tend to demonstrate exactly why it was a good thing they'd finished in the first place. The people who made those shows can go on to make other shows, and that's great, but look at The Simpsons. That's what happens when shows don't end.

So... what happens is they still have huge popularity, beating out most other shows in their timeslot even at their lowest ratings ever, but have a backlash from people who remember the golden years while younger generations are fine with the current version?

Truly, a tragedy for the ages that our generation will never be able to recover from.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

thexerox123 posted:

So... what happens is they still have huge popularity, beating out most other shows in their timeslot even at their lowest ratings ever, but have a backlash from people who remember the golden years while younger generations are fine with the current version?

Truly, a tragedy for the ages that our generation will never be able to recover from.

Then tell us where would YOU like the story of Walter White to end? :allears:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

D1Sergo posted:

In an epilogue scene at the end of Better Call Saul. :colbert: But if Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston thought that there was somehow more Breaking Bad to be told, I'd trust them. (I agree with Last Chance in that he's clearly just joking around in that interview, though, especially re: whether Walt is dead or not.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 30, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

D1Sergo posted:

Jesse, sitting in his office and now manager of Alaska's newest laser tag center, is startled when his door bursts open. Standing in the doorway is the half rotted corpse of Walter White, who groans "Jesse, we have to do one more cook." Gale pokes his head in from behind and waves hello, because it turns out Jesse really did miss shooting him in the face.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

In an epilogue scene at the end of Better Call Saul. :colbert: But if Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston thought that there was somehow more Breaking Bad to be told, I'd trust them. (I agree with Last Chance in that he's clearly just joking around in that interview, though, especially re: whether Walt is dead or not.)

Yeah, that's the thing. This isn't the loving Office. These dudes are masters and whatever they decided to do with the material I would trust them one hundred percent. Also yeah, Cranston is probably just loving with people because he's awesome.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Last Chance posted:

I'm seeing that story blow up everywhere and it makes me chuckle. Cranston's just messing with the interviewer. There's not going to be anymore straight-up Breaking Bad.

Better Call Saul is the closest we'll ever get to more.

It will be a prequel about a chemist who leaves his company to find his true calling as a high school science teacher.
Hangin' with Mr. White, Sunday at 9:00 on AMC!

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

BlackJosh posted:

Yeah, that's the thing. This isn't the loving Office. These dudes are masters and whatever they decided to do with the material I would trust them one hundred percent.

Have people forgotten Godfather 3 already?

I mean yeah we all loved Breaking Bad, but Vince Gilligan doesn't in fact, poo poo gold. Just because a person is talented doesn't mean everything they do will be good, even if it's a part of their 'good' series.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

PootieTang posted:

Have people forgotten Godfather 3 already?

I mean yeah we all loved Breaking Bad, but Vince Gilligan doesn't in fact, poo poo gold. Just because a person is talented doesn't mean everything they do will be good, even if it's a part of their 'good' series.

Yes, the world will not be perfect. You are correct. 100% of entertainment will not be 100% entertaining 100% of the time.

I don't even know the point your making. Of course whatever he does next might not be good. That's the nature of the beast. But he's got a pretty good track record and he's less likely to fail than a lot of other people at making an entertaining story, I'd reckon. I mean, this is the real world we're talking about, so if a new Breaking Bad series was to be put on, say even Walt survives... do you really think whatever would have filled that timeslot instead would be better? Would you bet against being entertained by more Breaking Bad from Gilligan and Cranston?

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

BlackJosh posted:

Yes, the world will not be perfect. You are correct. 100% of entertainment will not be 100% entertaining 100% of the time.

I don't even know the point your making. Of course whatever he does next might not be good. That's the nature of the beast. But he's got a pretty good track record and he's less likely to fail than a lot of other people at making an entertaining story, I'd reckon.

I guess my point is that Breaking Bad is over and people should let sleeping dogs lie rather than try to bring it back.

quote:

I mean, this is the real world we're talking about, so if a new Breaking Bad series was to be put on, say even Walt survives... do you really think whatever would have filled that timeslot instead would be better? Would you bet against being entertained by more Breaking Bad from Gilligan and Cranston?

And really you sound like a producer now, 'Why not just make endless sequels? New stuff is always bad! Original ideas? gently caress that! We just need more of the same, sequels, re-makes, remakes of the sequels, sequels to the remake of the prequel to the reboot etc etc

And look where that has gotten film. Film is the bottom of the barrel now because it's so bereft of creativity because of that line of thinking, that just stretching out proven material is a 'safer bet' than trying something new.

I mean Breaking Bad may never have been made if they said 'Why bring in this new 'Breaking Bad' show? Do we really think that this new thing is gonna be better than the previous thing? Let's just make a sequel to that old thing instead!

I mean we all loved Star Wars, and we all wanted more. Then we got the prequels and everyone realized too late that they didn't want what they thought they wanted. I'm just seeing the same thing happening here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thexerox123 posted:

Then you have The Walking Dead.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

Then you have The Walking Dead.

Then you have the Walking Dead video game by Telltale that came after the Comics and TV Show, and is better than both.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

thexerox123 posted:

Then you have the Walking Dead video game by Telltale that came after the Comics and TV Show, and is better than both.

So what you're saying is that they should make a licensed video game of Breaking Bad?

It's genius! A video game based on a movie or TV series... There's no way it could be bad!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PootieTang posted:

I guess my point is that Breaking Bad is over and people should let sleeping dogs lie rather than try to bring it back.

And really you sound like a producer now, 'Why not just make endless sequels? New stuff is always bad! Original ideas? gently caress that! We just need more of the same, sequels, re-makes, remakes of the sequels, sequels to the remake of the prequel to the reboot etc etc

And look where that has gotten film. Film is the bottom of the barrel now because it's so bereft of creativity because of that line of thinking, that just stretching out proven material is a 'safer bet' than trying something new.

I mean Breaking Bad may never have been made if they said 'Why bring in this new 'Breaking Bad' show? Do we really think that this new thing is gonna be better than the previous thing? Let's just make a sequel to that old thing instead!

I mean we all loved Star Wars, and we all wanted more. Then we got the prequels and everyone realized too late that they didn't want what they thought they wanted. I'm just seeing the same thing happening here.

5'd and subscribed to your web log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PootieTang posted:

It's genius! A video game based on a movie or TV series... There's no way it could be bad!

Achievements:
Pufferfish
Intimidate 20 enemies

Kiss the cook
Craft a 99% purity batch of meth

Hola DEA
Kill 5 enemies with one explosion

• Locked thread