Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a drama about what might have happened if NASA of the 60s had leapt immediately from the Apollo program to an interplanetary generation ship. Mad Spacemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's a drama about what might have happened if NASA of the 60s had leapt immediately from the Apollo program to an interplanetary generation ship. Mad Spacemen.

And their solution is to build a Saturn V in space? SyFy I guess...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No, it is a colony ship which contains a Saturn V for presumably getting back home vOv

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jewcoon posted:

Instead of trying to turn a massive E class, just detach your ship and maneuver around to the right location. Or get KAS and stick RCS thrusters on the asteroid itself.

Pish and tosh Sir! The :jeb: way - I went to the VAB and designed a quadruple 2.5m anti-matter + thermal rocket combo with a TWR round about 48. Bi-propellant RCS and a couple of wacking great reaction wheels finish the thing off. A senior port on the rear allows fresh tanks to dock on and be ejected once empty.

EightBit posted:

How do you even plan a trip to an asteroid? I can't get their orbits to show in the map or plan an intercept using maneuver nodes.

Do as haveblue said but either go out and get it before it comes into the SoI or intercept once it's inside. If you try and go where it says it will be once it enters the SoI you will be disappointed. The transition over the SoI can throw the orbit way off and leave you (like me) with a ship halfway to the wrong place.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Ratzap posted:

I intercepted the last of 4 rocks that came to Kerbin at the same time but this one is an E class. Not just a little bigger, it's a completely different order of engineering problem. I noted the ship mass pre docking and worked out the thing is 3711.13 tonnes. Up till this guy I've only had Cs or Ds up to 300t which proved pretty simple to move about. That 'tiddly' ship there had 16,000 dV prior to docking and is down to 340 after, the worst problem though is the wheels and RCS on it are just no way capable of turning it in a reasonable time frame.
This thing is going to need a new project after this ship captures it - I'm thinking huge powerplant with a lot of RCS grunt and a series of dockable fuel tankers.

Fly up a bunch of smallish probes with just a claw, some RCS and a huge reaction wheel. Dock them over the asteroid's surface (and attach them if you have KAS)and then you should have significantly more turning power. Their RCS will also help!

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Can not play KSP without KAS.

Is there a way to remap key controls for KAS? I use the numpad for steering my rockets.

The fact everyone forgets that left handed people actually use the numpad for things never fails to piss me off.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SocketSeven posted:

Is there a way to remap key controls for KAS? I use the numpad for steering my rockets.

The fact everyone forgets that left handed people actually use the numpad for things never fails to piss me off.

A significant chunk of keyboards lack numpads (most laptops, cheapo/minimalist desktop keyboards, etc.). Combined with the smaller population of lefties, it's always going to default to a right-handed setup that ignores numpad bindings.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Is that why KAS defaults to numpad bindings for all many of its features, eightbit? :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

SocketSeven posted:

Is that why KAS defaults to numpad bindings for all many of its features, eightbit? :v:

Reading failure, the main game is going to default to righties and KAS adapted so that the majority of people don't have to mess with controls that apparently can't be remapped?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Several camera controls in KSP also default to the numpad, I'm pretty sure. :cripes:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

And that sort of fuel based failure is what some here find as unfulfilling gameplay.

Also, staging and docking would often make it impossible for the computer to predict specific usage.

You have to have fuel based failure in some degree. If I slap a tiny 1m fuel tank and try to go to Duna, the game telling before I launch that I don't have enough fuel is probably the best it's going to get.

Staging and docking wouldn't make it impossible to predict fuel usage. The only variable would be the user's ability to fly like Mechjeb. If you can't, then practice good engineering and have a safety margin for your fuel.

I just don't really know what the alternative is. If you don't bring enough fuel you won't be able to get to where you're going. That sucks but what do you want exactly?

Having the game tell you how much fuel you've got and what you'll probably need doesn't seem like a big deal.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I decided to take a family portrait:

Voyager approaching Jool

Gravity slingshot

24 years later...

Still a lot of sunlight that far out

Where the pictures were taken:

The legend

Did this using the Distant Objects mod.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

drunkill posted:

No, it is a colony ship which contains a Saturn V for presumably getting back home vOv

The Saturn V is there to tie it to 60's NASA. If it wasn't it would just be generic grey block ship #5.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Zero One posted:

I decided to take a family portrait:

Voyager approaching Jool
The legend

Did this using the Distant Objects mod.

Pale blue green dot.

Distant objects enhancement is pretty rad.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Today I learned in FAR that the words "High Dynamic Pressure" should be feared and that aggressive aerobraking is dangerous. How did I learn that? With my spaceplane arrowing into a mountain, with half of its wings at 1km/s. :jeb: I didn't get any good screenshots since it was night, but its probably my favorite learn-by-failure experience in KSP so far.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

The Meat Dimension posted:

Today I learned in FAR that the words "High Dynamic Pressure" should be feared and that aggressive aerobraking is dangerous. How did I learn that? With my spaceplane arrowing into a mountain, with half of its wings at 1km/s. :jeb: I didn't get any good screenshots since it was night, but its probably my favorite learn-by-failure experience in KSP so far.

I imagine that FAR showed that for a frame or two as I performed an aggressive aerobrake at 3200m/s and lost the majority of the vehicle that didn't have the dV for a proper reentry from Duna. It takes a long time for a pod to slow down from speed like that :v:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Here's something cool: A better view of the Dragon V2's interface.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Elukka posted:

Here's something cool: A better view of the Dragon V2's interface.

Guys, guys… this is where HAL comes from. Someone installs a Siri-like app on a spacecraft.

edit:
I found this a bit earlier with the uncropped picture and gave it a bit of a once-over to try and bring up some details.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 31, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
"Current Deltav: 5m/s"? Underengineered as all gently caress, revert flight to vehicle assembly.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

"Current Deltav: 5m/s"? Underengineered as all gently caress, revert flight to vehicle assembly.

I think that's the amount needed to deorbit, not the current available. Don't see current anywhere.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
"Trunk release" ?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is any of that actually hooked up to anything or is it just a silly photoshop graphic designed to make the screens look useful?

Also having all your instrumentation on screens seems really silly, as if the backlight goes or the screen connection goes or it just gets damaged you lose a massive chunk of display. One would think it'd be better to make a proper electromechanical interface for some of the important stuff at least.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
All modern aircraft use similar MFD graphics displays. They have analog backups, but those are mostly there to make the monkey feel better.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Contrary to what most people seem to think, aerospace MFDs don't fail much. You know what does? Analog gauges. loving constantly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gau posted:

All modern aircraft use similar MFD graphics displays. They have analog backups, but those are mostly there to make the monkey feel better.

I know that, but aircraft also have big windows and you have a lot of feedback from all your senses when flying.

Spacecraft are much more precise, you have to do almost everything by the instruments, so I'd have thought the instruments would be a bit more involved than some flatscreen monitors with seemingly no redundancy at all.

It doesn't look like a real spacecraft, it looks like a model, where's the compartments for storing things? Where's the attachment points for everything so it doesn't float around in microgravity? Can you access any of the electronics in case it breaks and you need to fix it?

I have a really hard time believing that they're planning on firing that thing into space as a real functional vehicle.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 1, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's pretty clearly missing various things in the cabin. The walls are the bare structure and there's no storage or anything but that's basically just furniture. Otherwise it's a real spacecraft as far as I know. I wouldn't be surprised if it was missing some bits internally but what's there is flight hardware.

It looks like there's four identical screens that can likely be used to display whatever is needed. That's a lot of redundancy and I'd expect the chances of all of them failing are tiny, and I'm certain the odds of a mechanical device failing are higher. Even then there's another layer of redundancy because these things are usually ground controlled and automated rather than manually flown by a pilot. It could full well just not have the console at all and just be essentially a cargo capsule carrying people.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OwlFancier posted:

Is any of that actually hooked up to anything or is it just a silly photoshop graphic designed to make the screens look useful?

Also having all your instrumentation on screens seems really silly, as if the backlight goes or the screen connection goes or it just gets damaged you lose a massive chunk of display. One would think it'd be better to make a proper electromechanical interface for some of the important stuff at least.

The center panel is all physical buttons and override displays for showing alarms in case something were to kill the displays, it also covers the essential vehicle functions. The actual maneuvering controls themselves are also physical. The displays are simply providing extra information and ways of using it, but they aren't essential to flying the vehicle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe I'm just grumpy about things that look like iPods, I hate form over function design.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Why would you assume it's form over function? Dragon is a very practical design.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure blue LEDs around the viewports and swathes of black gloss paneling is entirely practical.

It looks like it was designed by alienware.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OwlFancier posted:

One would think it'd be better to make a proper electromechanical interface for some of the important stuff at least.
The important stuff is the multiple-redundant systems. If the interior displays and controls somehow all fritz out, ground control can remotely command the computers to do a safe re-entry. If that doesn't work, I'd guess that one of the parts of their program is a last-resort safety de-orbit and landing program after x hours (ie before the life-support cut off time). If the radio receivers and the interior controls and all the computers are all broken, the analog dials are just a clock to watch while you wait for your oxygen to run out.

We are very very close to having self-driving cars, why does a self driving rocket leave anyone so gobsmacked? It's an easier problem -- there's no traffic to speak of, you don't have to follow a trail of asphalt, and the only road laws are Newton's. Yes, there are plenty of heroes of the space race who made the right decisions with manual controls to save the day, but the only reason they needed heroics was the state of the art in computers was so primitive.

If a couple talented amateurs can make MechJeb auto-land an arbitrary spacecraft at an arbitrary location on any of KSP's simulated worlds, and it doesn't crash 9 out of 10 times, I'd think the real deal could take care of the other 1. Admittedly I wouldn't want to use MechJeb's docking program IRL, but that's because it tries to do in 5 minutes what the real spacecraft take their sweet time getting right.

---
So about KSP: this is a project I'm keeping an eye on. NASA's mission control software is open source, and the guy who makes Telemachus is trying to set it up to work with KSP!

e:

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe I'm just grumpy about things that look like iPods, I hate form over function design.
MFDs are actually super-functional for flight control, or do you think every new airplane both civilian and military just wants to be a cool ipad? Putting the information you need at the moment directly in front of you is critical. The bare metal and blue mood lighting is maybe a bit theatrical, but gently caress it if I was going to space I'd be stoked to ride in something that looks like the 21st century rather than 1970.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 1, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure blue LEDs around the viewports and swathes of black gloss paneling is entirely practical.

It looks like it was designed by alienware.
Granted on the LEDs I guess but it's the most inconsequential thing. What black paneling? There's the control panel on the inside but that just looks like a perfectly normal computer monitor. On the outside the glossy black bit would be the heat shield.
e: Though so far the heat shields have been tiled so it might not actually be in place there.
e2: Actually, yeah, it looks the same as this, which is a base structure for the Dragon 1 heat shield. The tiles then go on top of that.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 1, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everything around the display is made of shiny black acrylic.

Not sure that's exactly practical, or even attractive to look at after about five minutes, as it'd get scratched to hell and covered with fingerprints (from the look of the chairs I assume the pilots aren't wearing suits when flying) but it looks *cool* on the promo pictures I'm sure. Acrylic is also kinda heavy if it's thick enough to be solid, so I'm not sure why it's being used to surface the console.

Bah, I dunno, I don't buy PCs that look like that because it makes me think that whoever built it cares more about how it looks than how it works. Give me a sheet of industrial beige metal covered in ventilation plates and screws any day. Solid and practical, ugly as gently caress but who cares so long as it works. I'd rather fly in the soyuz than that thing, the soyuz works and wasn't designed with looking pretty in mind.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I really don't see what difference the choice of paint for a panel edge makes. Surely focusing on that is focusing on form? We're not talking about PCs, we're talking about a spaceflight company whose entire design philosophy is about simplicity and practicality - they don't go for cutting edge propellants or engines at all costs, they pick a point that's good enough, they make conventional rockets and capsules, not spaceplanes, etc.

They're basically the most Russian designs to have come out of the US. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know I can't tell anything about the function of the craft from looking at the pictures, I'm sure somewhere there's someone actually thinking about how to get it into space without setting fire to it in the process, I mostly just don't get the advertising.

To me, that says 'we like making science fiction sets, please give us money so we can fire them into space and pretend we're astronauts'.

It just give off such a... not taking it seriously impression to me. It doesn't make me want to go to space in it, it makes me want to run screaming before they try to take off with me still inside it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure blue LEDs around the viewports ... is entirely practical.

:confused:

what blue LEDs

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I would love love love to be able to focus the camera on nearby ships without changing the craft I'm controlling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

:confused:

what blue LEDs

The exterior viewports.

Hadlock posted:

Looks like something out of the new goddamn Star Trek movies. Did they consult JJ Abrams on this thing :swoon:

What's amazing is that this is actual flight hardware

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

OwlFancier posted:

The exterior viewports.

What the sam hell is wrong with blue LEDs in flight hardware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEQrmDoIRO8
This is the advertising. Musk is almost entirely focused on its functional aspects, rightly so because it's a pretty impressive spacecraft and the first real advance in the field for decades. It does have some flashy lights and smoke effects though! There's nothing about the spacecraft that's form over function.

• Locked thread