Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Oxxidation posted:

every fifteen minutes Enslaved comes up with some new way to express how stupid it is, how stupid its developers are, and how stupid you must be to put up with it.
Oops, I just borrowed it from my brother who recommend it heartily. I guess he's stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spug posted:

Oops, I just borrowed it from my brother who recommend it heartily. I guess he's stupid

If it runs in the family you might enjoy it :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oxxidation posted:

Why does Pigsy know about hair product? Why does Pigsy know about ice cream? Why Pigsy, in general?
If you have to ask these things about Pigsy you're definitely not that familiar with the source material. Pigsy was originally a scholar who made a potion of immortality but it turned him into a pig, iirc. In the lore he's super-brilliant and has a lot of bizarre tendencies and affectations, because, well, he's a super-genius immortal pig.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

coyo7e posted:

If you have to ask these things about Pigsy you're definitely not that familiar with the source material. Pigsy was originally a scholar who made a potion of immortality but it turned him into a pig, iirc. In the lore he's super-brilliant and has a lot of bizarre tendencies and affectations, because, well, he's a super-genius immortal pig.

Whereas in the game he's a morbidly obese dude crushing on a teenage girl who spends three to four hours making bad jokes in between inexplicably oinking at people.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oxxidation posted:

Whereas in the game he's a morbidly obese dude crushing on a teenage girl who spends three to four hours making bad jokes in between inexplicably oinking at people.
He's that in the book and movies generally, as well. The myth is a comedy. ;)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

coyo7e posted:

He's that in the book and movies generally, as well. The myth is a comedy. ;)

Hopefully a funnier one than what Ninja Theory did with it. The only bit that got a rise out of me was that little scene during the approach to the dam. Everything else was Marmaduke-level.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oxxidation posted:

Hopefully a funnier one than what Ninja Theory did with it. The only bit that got a rise out of me was that little scene during the approach to the dam. Everything else was Marmaduke-level.
There's a live-action (with animation) opera done by The Gorillaz which I've been wanting to get on DVD when it comes out.

I also seem to recall there was a Jackie Chan version of Journey to the West which was pretty fun.

I don't think that the new "Journey to the West: Demon Hunters" is very close to the lore, it looks more like Kung Fu Hustle.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Oxxidation posted:

What does George RR Martin have to do with any of this?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oxxidation posted:

Why Pigsy, in general?

Because Richard Ridings, of course, and because meta-joke opportunities like this don't come along every day.

coyo7e posted:

I also seem to recall there was a Jackie Chan version of Journey to the West which was pretty fun.

If you mean The Forbidden Kingdom, that movie is total garbage outside of the 10-minute Jackie Chan / Jet Li fight somewhere in the middle.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 30, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Sorry, I have a pretty high tolerance of bad martial arts films, so "fun" to me might be "unwatchable" for :spergin: . Have you seen Zombie rear end: Toilet of the Dead on netflix?

coyo7e posted:

Sounds like State of Decay's new redoux/DLC is ready and will hit XBLA and steam soon for $6.99. I'm pretty stoked, it's in a totally new map that's a metropolitan environment, and you're supposed to evacuate survivors from the city as a soldier or group of soldiers.

http://undeadlabs.com/2014/05/news/lifeline-trailer/

Releases the 30th.
Confirming that this just came out and is up for sale right now on the xbox market, along with the newest game update/patch.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Any major news from the main game updates? I've been meaning to play another run through and the previous update added a lot of really good poo poo.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Watching that Watchdogs video has further reduced my interest in that game, I mean I just picked up GTAV not too long ago and am still working on that game. As someone who got burned on preorders and buying games on day one release, like Duke Nukem Forever for example, and is primary a PC/Nintendo gamer with a huge backlog, nowadays I usually wait a few months on games so that I can get the GOTY/Ultimate/All DLC included version for super cheap. I blame Steam sales for turning me into a cheapass gamer.

The only games I usually shell out full price at launch now are Nintendo games, because I know they're usually top quality and even if Nintendo has been making weird-rear end game systems that don't make much sense for the past decade now, they usually make up for it with awesome games, and I guess because I'm a Nintendo fanboy at heart. Personal opinion, but I think Nintendo knows what they are doing unlike, these other chucklefucks making these so-called "AAA" games.

Honestly, the only reason I picked up a 360 was because a co-worker was selling a Star Wars Slim for cheap, and for the exclusives, though I think Halo is kinda meh and the only Forza game I really enjoy is Horizon. There's also games that have crappy PC ports, such as Saint's Row 2, Raiden Fighters, and basically anything whose PC port is infected with Games for Windows Live, and the games that are multiplatform but not on PC. Speaking of which, I know I said this already but, where the gently caress are the PC versions of Red Dead Redemption and GTAV? I have to play them on this cheap little box that makes funny robot noises instead of my badass gaming pc. Meh, Rockstar is kinda lazy when it comes to porting their games to pc anyway.

So basically I'm going to pass on Watchdogs until the PC version gets a Steam sale, because that's how I roll.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 31, 2014

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I've been watching one of the Media Cows play throughs of watch_dogs and it seems pretty good, they've not mentioned anything about it being glitchy or otherwise acting weird. Though I've not got the game myself, gonna wait until I decide to grab a PS4.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Anime_Otaku posted:

Just a pity the DLC for The Saboteur is no longer available, not that it added much of note.

Boooooooobbbbsssss. Did it add anything else? I loved that drat game, but all I remember about the dlc code was that it made the women in the strip club topless.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
A nice car and some mini games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone here play Arkham Origins?

I bought a move that lets me take out knife wielders if I can dodge properly but I have no idea how it works, I did it once by accident.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Alteisen posted:

I bought a move that lets me take out knife wielders if I can dodge properly but I have no idea how it works, I did it once by accident.

Hold the left stick away from them and tap Y every time they swing the knife at you.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Oxxidation posted:

Having finished Enslaved I can say with confidence that it was one of the most aggressively stupid hack jobs of a vidyogame that I've witnessed. But I stuck with it, 'cuz I'm a sucker for journey stories.

Still though, yikes. I've always been harsh on Ninja Theory as a studio but that title really put their ineptitude into a new light.
I liked the characters, and the voice acting and facial expressions in the cut scenes I found were spot on. I didn't mind the story that much even if it was full of nonsensical plot holes, but I agree that the gameplay was pretty terrible with it's beat em up style and linear parkour. Also, that 'collect all the orbs' achievement. :argh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alteisen posted:

There should be a Combat Training map where you can practice it too.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I traded in my physical copy of Dark Souls yesterday in anticipation of the June GwG and surprisingly Gamestop gave me almost $10 for it. Some of it had to do with a trade in promotion they have going on until tomorrow though - I got an extra $2 because I was picking up Watch Dogs at the same time.

Speaking of Watch Dogs, does anyone know if I can install the second disc or is there a GTA V style situation going on where it is better not to?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Get a cheap 16gb USB stick and install it to that.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

owl_pellet posted:

I traded in my physical copy of Dark Souls yesterday in anticipation of the June GwG and surprisingly Gamestop gave me almost $10 for it. Some of it had to do with a trade in promotion they have going on until tomorrow though - I got an extra $2 because I was picking up Watch Dogs at the same time.

Here in Australia I was keeping an eye out for a copy of Dark Souls before hearing about GwG and didn't see a copy anywhere. One shop said they had a bit of a rush before Dark Souls 2 came out and I guess they didn't bother to restock.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Anime_Otaku posted:

I've been watching one of the Media Cows play throughs of watch_dogs and it seems pretty good, they've not mentioned anything about it being glitchy or otherwise acting weird. Though I've not got the game myself, gonna wait until I decide to grab a PS4.
It's got its share of jank since they have pretty obviously not done a lot of 3rd person shooting and driving in rear end Creed etc so those things are kind of flat but they still work pretty well. The multiplayer is a lot of fun and super engaging (and matchmaking for invasions seems to be based on how much multi you do, so if you ignore it you'll rarely get hosed with by people.)

I haven't noticed many people in the WD thread mentioning actual glitches in the game, although one guy took a screenshot (PC version) of his mostly-invisible ferrari, and another guy posted a youtube video of him driving around in the hills or over building scenery and then he flips out hollering about how badly glitched the game is when he clips rocks and the car physics get janky.

The motorcycle handling is extraordinarily forgiving - you can pretty much just drive around doing a wheelie forever, which is fun and the best way to get around the city, generally.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

List of open world games that don't do it:
Sorry this is late, but: I'm pretty sure GTA V worked around this by having the optional mission objectives that contributed towards your final medal for the mission, so if you wanted to cheese something you often could, but you'd miss out on getting the gold (or whatever) medal you'd have got for doing it the intended way. Which is a nice way to handle it!

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Thing that has always annoyed me about GTA games is the chase missions and you have no idea if you're supposed to try and stop the car or if it's scripted and you have to stay with it till you get to the destination.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nibbles141 posted:

Thing that has always annoyed me about GTA games is the chase missions and you have no idea if you're supposed to try and stop the car or if it's scripted and you have to stay with it till you get to the destination.

In Watch Dogs they seem scripted until you learn to use traffic barriers and stuff to instantly stop them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nibbles141 posted:

Oh god now I'm having flashbacks of chase missions from Saints Row because the chasees would drive like maniacs and any time you actually caught up with them was truly a case of horseshit luck. Even worse if you had to shoot at them while driving.

I think I got through most of them on the second or third try because their cars would randomly explode and stuff.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Consider this a message to anyone down for some Perfect Dark or V8: Arcade MP tonight; I should be on by 7 pm CST, and only lightly buzzed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Father Wendigo posted:

Consider this a message to anyone down for some Perfect Dark or V8: Arcade MP tonight; I should be on by 7 pm CST, and only lightly buzzed.

I can't tonight, but I should be good for tomorrow.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nibbles141 posted:

Or the old GTA trope where you fail the mission for blowing up the car or killing the guy, only to get to the end of the chase... and have to kill them.

I don't remember this happening much in iv or v though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The new GWG title, Dark Souls, is out. I have it downloading now.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Or the old GTA trope where you fail the mission for blowing up the car or killing the guy, only to get to the end of the chase... and have to kill them.

I don't remember this happening much in iv or v though.

I believe the chase missions are scripted so that their car is indestructible and always faster than whatever you're driving until you get to wherever the developers intended to end the chase.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Mother of a cunting whore. I think the GWG Dark Souls has overwritten my disc-based savegame. gently caress

Edit: It's gone, a thousand times gently caress, this wasn't supposed to happen. I put over 100 hours into that game, had several characters and almost 1000/1000 it, this is the worst day :(

MZ fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 1, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cloud doesn't auto sync does it?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I overwrote my Dark Souls with the GoD version a while back. And numerous other full titles. Never lost a savegame to that. Did you go into your storage options and delete the game first?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I overwrote my Dark Souls with the GoD version a while back. And numerous other full titles. Never lost a savegame to that. Did you go into your storage options and delete the game first?

Yes, but my save file was on the cloud not on my hard disk, I don't know what happened.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Odd however, there's no need to delete the game before installing the downloadable version.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Crisis averted, I think I have a backup of my save on my PC somewhere...

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Get a cheap 16gb USB stick and install it to that.

I know this is an option, but what I guess I'm asking is if anyone knows whether or not Watch Dogs will perform badly if I install both discs to the same place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

owl_pellet posted:

I know this is an option, but what I guess I'm asking is if anyone knows whether or not Watch Dogs will perform badly if I install both discs to the same place.
You know, I haven't actually remembered to try installing the second disk. The only egregious loading times I've noticed are when I die while being "hacked" during a multiplayer invasion, and I suspect that's working as intended because it takes a loooooong time and you can hear your character curse himself out for losing mid-timer if you die late enough.

When I brought the game home I installed the first disk before starting everything up, and it immediately made me install the Installation disk when I began the game.. :downsrim:

fakeedit: there's definitely an option to install the Play disk as well, guess I'll try it out and see how it works! I haven't noticed much texture pop-in etc though, my main gripe are civilians spawning in every time I turn around on a sidewalk and the one I was trying to hack for ATM buckaroos vanishes.

real edit: went into storage and the game lists a pair of 3.6 gig "game install" files which have the subtext 'save game', which is counter-intuitive as I know my save is only on the cloud - the two 3.6 gig files are the actual installed game data which it forces you to install. I deleted the installed Install disk (6.8 gig) and booted the game up, it never asked to reinstall. So I'd say skipping the (manual via dashboard) installation of the first disk is perfectly fine. I'll see if having the Play disk installed speeds things up, it did seem to load pretty quickly this time.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 1, 2014

• Locked thread